Holland America secrets they don't tell you about - 2013 edition

Ship's Wake

This is HAL's house Champagne. Is this what you are talking about? From France? HAL no longer advertises Champagne at embarkation, and they have not for years...As well they no longer advertise bottles going to Neptune Suite guests. It is now offered in the Neptune Lounge.

I am sure it is not from the Champagne Region of France, but it is imported and it is free.

th?id=H.4525066950150585&pid=1.7&w=172&h=185&c=7&rs=1

We had a bottle of sparkling wine in out Neptune Suite on our 11 May Westerdam cruise. They were also serving it in the Neptune Lounge at departure.

This is HAL's house Champagne. Is this what you are talking about? From France? HAL no longer advertises Champagne at embarkation, and they have not for years...As well they no longer advertise bottles going to Neptune Suite guests. It is now offered in the Neptune Lounge.

I am sure it is not from the Champagne Region of France, but it is imported and it is free.

things can vary on different ships sometimes. On the Prinsendam we had REAL champagne (very expensive) waiting for us. Didn't see any in the neptune lounge. This is the exception though and not the rule.:)

I have seen the sparkling wine delivered to the suites on some ships and on other glasses of it offered in the Neptune lounge. :confused:;)

The absolutely call it champaign and did so at least 10 times on this years world cruise. Some special nites there was a card on the table calling out champaign and it was always sparkling wine. Complete any total lies and false advertising. It may have been imported and it was not free but included and it was cheap probably perhaps $5 a bottle

Don't appreciate being lied to after paying so much. As edger allen Poe said hark the raven never more

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

sorry folks..bit inexperienced here...something free on a HAL cruise? count me in ...where and when ??? k:D

Much is included but feels as free.

Other free items: The Art tour on board, friendliness of the stewards, nature, ports of call, having fun, watching people.

It has been several years so I don't remember exactly; but on the "S" class ships there is a staircase near the back that is enclosed on some decks by glass and if it is cold you can take a deck chair and sit in it and look out. Hardly anyone ever uses those stairs so not only is it a great view, but it is very quiet.

It has been several years so I don't remember exactly; but on the "S" class ships there is a staircase near the back that is enclosed on some decks by glass and if it is cold you can take a deck chair and sit in it and look out. Hardly anyone ever uses those stairs so not only is it a great view, but it is very quiet.

Sit on the staircase? Or does the staircase lead to a deck? I'm a little confused. Any clue which decks this was on? (And which ones are S-class ships -- I never have paid attention to these categories)

I know you said it has been a long time -- but perhaps someone else on this board knows about this?

Sit on the staircase? Or does the staircase lead to a deck? I'm a little confused. Any clue which decks this was on? (And which ones are S-class ships -- I never have paid attention to these categories)

I know you said it has been a long time -- but perhaps someone else on this board knows about this?

Sorry I wasn't clearer

The "S" class are the Statendam, Veendam, and Ryndam. No you don't sit on the stairs. There are landings on some of the upper decks that are about 6x10 and some of them are glassed in.

Sorry I wasn't clearer

The "S" class are the Statendam, Veendam, and Ryndam. No you don't sit on the stairs. There are landings on some of the upper decks that are about 6x10 and some of them are glassed in.

They have the same little glassed staircase on the Oosterdam and Westerdam as well (so I'm guessing the Vista ships all have them). It is located on the Observation Deck.

Thanks, all, for the info on these "secret" enclosed decks -- I am going to check out some deck plans and see if I can find them! Considering it is no longer a secret, I guess I'll see you on one of them the next time we cruise. :D

since they did away with the trays in the Lido I take our cabin's ice bucket tray and zip up to the Lido (or Neptune Lounge if on a lucky cruise).

It is the perfect size for carrying coffee/cappuccino/icecream for 2! Can even hold 2 servings of that famous Bread Pudding.

You might get a funny look in the elevator but I bet your action will be copied.

The description below was supplied by RevNeal and is the best I've seen here. Like he and a number of others, it is one of my favorite things to do, especially in warm weather while cruising slowly between a couple of close together Carib islands. I actually played basketball for a half hour on the Ryndam under the moonlight with a few of the crew. That was almost 15 years ago, but remains a great memory.

Here is RevNeal's direction for access:

Here's a secret no one has mentioned yet. Access to the bow-deck.

On an S-class ship you go forward on the lower promenade deck, to where you can cross over from one side of the ship to the other (port to starboard, or visa versa). There are two closet like chambers, glass walled, with doors facing inward. Open the door on one of them and climb the stairs you'll find inside. Those stairs will lead you up one deck, then turn and -- if the door isn't open -- push the water-tight door open and step through (carefully) and out onto the forward bow deck.

On an R-class ship you go forward on the lower promenade deck, to where you can cross over from one side of the ship to the other (port to starboard, or visa versa). Facing forward there's a set of double doors on port and starboard. No signs. Open either and climb the stairs you'll find right in front of you. Turn and push open the water tight door and step (carefully) out onto the forward bow deck.

lowpromr.jpg

Kazu,

What by chance was that very special champagne?

Sorry mariner - I didn't see the question earlier.

It was a Mumm's champagne (made in France) and it was real champagne.

Every stateroom has a dvd player. You can request from close to 800 movie titles from the front desk (booklet with list of titles is found in your cabin - called Ship Flicks). Dvds can be picked up at the front desk or you can have them delivered.

If your cabin is missing the booklet, you can get one from front desk. DVD player easy to use and nice to fill time with movies because no "regular" TV broadcasts for personal entertainment.

You can order whatever they are serving in the MDR through room service if you call between 6 and 7PM. Be sure to check the menus posted outside the dining rooms and write down your choices as room service does not have a copy of the menu. (This is in addition to the room service menu which is located on your cabin dresser, and is available all the time.)

If your cabin doesn't have a DVD movie list, you can get one from the front desk. They've got lots of movies for all ages, DVD player is easy to use, and comes in handy for in-room entertainment since there is no "regular" TV broadcast.

Check your "today ON LOCATION" brochure early every morning for the day's special happenings, dining times and dress codes, classes and entertainment, sales, drink of the day, and happy hour locations.

The library is on Deck 10-Observation Deck tucked into a corner. There's books in several languages to check out or there's a paperback exchange area, plus nice chairs for reading or observing the outdoors.

The description below was supplied by RevNeal and is the best I've seen here. Like he and a number of others, it is one of my favorite things to do, especially in warm weather while cruising slowly between a couple of close together Carib islands. I actually played basketball for a half hour on the Ryndam under the moonlight with a few of the crew. That was almost 15 years ago, but remains a great memory.

Here is RevNeal's direction for access:

Here's a secret no one has mentioned yet. Access to the bow-deck.

On an S-class ship you go forward on the lower promenade deck, to where you can cross over from one side of the ship to the other (port to starboard, or visa versa). There are two closet like chambers, glass walled, with doors facing inward. Open the door on one of them and climb the stairs you'll find inside. Those stairs will lead you up one deck, then turn and -- if the door isn't open -- push the water-tight door open and step through (carefully) and out onto the forward bow deck.

On an R-class ship you go forward on the lower promenade deck, to where you can cross over from one side of the ship to the other (port to starboard, or visa versa). Facing forward there's a set of double doors on port and starboard. No signs. Open either and climb the stairs you'll find right in front of you. Turn and push open the water tight door and step (carefully) out onto the forward bow deck.

lowpromr.jpg

On our recent Maasdam cruise, we just went to the lower level of the show lounge, opened the big heavy steal door, walked up a few steps and then outside to the bow. Very easy to do, but only when the ship is in port.