Just off MSC Sinfonia. Any questions?

moomoocow

Will get round to a review I promise. Currently suffering from post holiday blues and a work backlog that is a large pain in the posterior hence the delay. But I will be pleased to answer any questions you may have if I can.

Will get round to a review I promise. Currently suffering from post holiday blues and a work backlog that is a large pain in the posterior hence the delay. But I will be pleased to answer any questions you may have if I can.

Welcome back!

My old friend James, who will be joining us with his partner on our next cruise Moomoo, eloquently terms this condition 'post-bliss syndrome'.

I look forward to the review if and when you have time. But there is so much yet to plan for our Sharm-Venice cruise - on another channel....

Hi Margo

This was our first MSC cruise also.

There are not many English guests on the ship with Italian and German guests bring the majority but what there are tend to be sat together during dinner. We had four other British guests at our table. Plus if you have booked flights with MSC you will meet fellow Britishers at point of transfer to your ship.

English is the language spoken by all the staff (to varying degrees) so there shouldn't be much of an issue with communication.

Food is very nice and typically Mediterranean - themed around the area you are cruising (Spanish night etc). Risottos, pasta, fish are well done and deserts and cheese are of good quality. I avoided the buffet on account of me preferring a sit down restaurant style meal wherever possible and the fact that I'm a snob that dislikes buffets. Appreciate and understand they're convenient but they're not for me. Husband popped to one for lunch when I was recovering from over indulgence and he was happy and had no issues.

Breakfast in the MDR is both continental and of the cooked variety. It's an approximation of a "full English" if you're wanting that. However their toast both in MDR and buffet is very anaemic. Basically warm bread. No amount of explaining or pantomime resolved it. I just got a beaming smile and another round of non-cooked toast!

Thanks for your response, we had already decided to use the MDR for breakfast, although we usually do the buffet but though it might be a bit of a scrum,!!

Glad to hear that food was reasonable, I'm sure if we go with an open mind we will be fine, and any week cruising has got to be better than working!!

Welcome back. We'll be on the Sinfonia in March 2014 for its return to Genoa from South Africa. I've never sailed on her before but she's in the same class as the Opera, a cruise I recall from several years ago. AmoMondo has always had praise for her so I'm looking foreward to my first Sinfonia experience. Lots of sea days so I hope there will be plenty of things to do to keep us occupied.

In respect of ports:

St Tropez is mostly just a walk round the port with a market just off the main drag in the Place Des Lices. Don't worry about getting an early tender as everything is open from about 10am. Unless you want to go somewhere specific then don't bother with a planned tour. Everything is pretty but exceptionally expensive.

Palma - the ship transfer for 12 euros is worth it because it can be used multiple times and you are there for 24 hours. It drops you opposite the cathedral. We took a wander round, shopped and ate amazing tapas. I've already "done" Palma so again not interested in any tours.

Mahon can be explored on foot direct from the ship. Pretty and hilly. Spent a few hours strolling round (I can see a pattern forming here!) and enjoyed our time there.

Olbila run a free bus to the town - about 5 mins away from the port. There isn't much to see and we were soon back on the ship. Might be worth a tour bus or using the open topped tour that stops in the port to while away your time.

Salerno we have visited before, the transfer was 6/8 euros (I think) and I was massively hungover so I took cover and mainlined coffee on the ship. Once the ship leaves Salerno grab a vantage point starboard side for an unrivalled view of the Amalfi coast all the way up to Capri and on to Ischia. No matter how many times I'm in that area of the world I never get bored of that view. Absolutely stunning.

Sorry I can't be more help. All the ports are smaller and less commercially minded and we tend to do our own thing so can't really help with a view on ship excursions. I can tell you thought that the Dinner and Show trip in Palma was universally panned by everyone who mentioned it. So that might be one to avoid.

In respect of ports:

St Tropez is mostly just a walk round the port with a market just off the main drag in the Place Des Lices. Don't worry about getting an early tender as everything is open from about 10am. Unless you want to go somewhere specific then don't bother with a planned tour. Everything is pretty but exceptionally expensive.

Palma - the ship transfer for 12 euros is worth it because it can be used multiple times and you are there for 24 hours. It drops you opposite the cathedral. We took a wander round, shopped and ate amazing tapas. I've already "done" Palma so again not interested in any tours.

Mahon can be explored on foot direct from the ship. Pretty and hilly. Spent a few hours strolling round (I can see a pattern forming here!) and enjoyed our time there.

Olbila run a free bus to the town - about 5 mins away from the port. There isn't much to see and we were soon back on the ship. Might be worth a tour bus or using the open topped tour that stops in the port to while away your time.

Salerno we have visited before, the transfer was 6/8 euros (I think) and I was massively hungover so I took cover and mainlined coffee on the ship. Once the ship leaves Salerno grab a vantage point starboard side for an unrivalled view of the Amalfi coast all the way up to Capri and on to Ischia. No matter how many times I'm in that area of the world I never get bored of that view. Absolutely stunning.

Sorry I can't be more help. All the ports are smaller and less commercially minded and we tend to do our own thing so can't really help with a view on ship excursions. I can tell you thought that the Dinner and Show trip in Palma was universally panned by everyone who mentioned it. So that might be one to avoid.

Thanks for this. We are actually boarding in Palma after spending a week there

Any advice re formal evenings ie how formal are they...do the majority conform...is there a semi formal...or is it just formal and casual ? Thanks

They're not formal in the slightest. I wore a cocktail dress and the husband wore a grey suit and tie and I'd consider us overdressed. But we didn't care either way.

The important things to consider are:

A) You will be welcome in the MDR whatever you wear on whatever night you wear it so wear what is comfortable, practical and what you feel is appropriate. Dress up if you like. Don't if you don't.

B) With this in mind there is no point whatsoever getting peeved with any other guests in the MDR. Especially the ones wearing jeans and t-shirt with flip flops on Baked Alaska night. People at our table were bitching that others "hadn't made an effort" but it's not compulsory to do so and their diatribe about it was the worse thing about our gala night. I'd have welcomed casual dressed guests at my table over constant whining about them by others ;-)

They're not formal in the slightest. I wore a cocktail dress and the husband wore a grey suit and tie and I'd consider us overdressed. But we didn't care either way.

The important things to consider are:

A) You will be welcome in the MDR whatever you wear on whatever night you wear it so wear what is comfortable, practical and what you feel is appropriate. Dress up if you like. Don't if you don't.

B) With this in mind there is no point whatsoever getting peeved with any other guests in the MDR. Especially the ones wearing jeans and t-shirt with flip flops on Baked Alaska night. People at our table were bitching that others "hadn't made an effort" but it's not compulsory to do so and their diatribe about it was the worse thing about our gala night. I'd have welcomed casual dressed guests at my table over constant whining about them by others ;-)

Thanks very much for this...I prefer to be over dressed if anything so I will take cocktail dresses and hubby will take a suit but not his DJ.

Sounds like you had a great time! Just curious, where did you board? How was the process? We are sailing in July out of Salerno. I was wondering just how crazy it will be and just how much time I really need. Thanks!

Sounds like you had a great time! Just curious, where did you board? How was the process? We are sailing in July out of Salerno. I was wondering just how crazy it will be and just how much time I really need. Thanks!

It won't be very busy at Salerno. Most passengers board in Genoa.

• 2 weeks later...

How did you get a reasonable price from Salerno to Salerno?

I tried to do that for October but the price was unbelievable

Here's my post from another thread

Originally I had planned to do Salerno to Salerno (Sunday to Sunday) but the best price after checking 4 TAs and MSC was £1499pp cruise only.

Somebody's having a laugh.

so I ended up getting the Genoa to Genoa cruise (Monday to Monday) same cruise, same cabin, just one day later. Cost £449pp.

BUT, we still have to fly home on Sunday (OH is teacher and back in school on Monday)

So we are getting off at Salerno as originally planned and forgoing the overnight cruise back to Genoa and saving over £2000

Pete

We are on that sailing! Leaving salerno on the 28th. I believe we paid $900 US. I would have certainly left out of Genoa for a savings like that!!

I think you've misread my post, we are leaving Genoa on Monday 28th Oct, I think you're leaving Salerno on Sunday 28th July.

$900 is £600 at today's exchange rate and that is certainly what I would have paid to do the Salerno to Salerno.

If it's not too rude could I ask what grade of cabin you have for that price, and is your price per person ?

Pete

Oh how nice :-)

I will be going on my own, for the 4. time, and it will be my 11. cruise (3 with MSC). I think it is some very nice ports and a cruise to relax :-)

Looking forward to go with a smaller ship this time :-)

Enjoy!!

I think you've misread my post, we are leaving Genoa on Monday 28th Oct, I think you're leaving Salerno on Sunday 28th July.

$900 is £600 at today's exchange rate and that is certainly what I would have paid to do the Salerno to Salerno.

If it's not too rude could I ask what grade of cabin you have for that price, and is your price per person ?

Pete

My apologies Skier52, I was responding to you and Danish Girl at the same time. The price is per person and I believe the category is 8. Not a bad deal, right?

My apologies Skier52, I was responding to you and Danish Girl at the same time. The price is per person and I believe the category is 8. Not a bad deal, right?

Not too bad My deal which includes a 10% gold card discount is £445pp ($668), cruise only, or £495 ($743) without the discount but I've had to sacrifice the Sunday afternoon and night to get that deal,

To do the same as you would have been £1499pp ($2250pp).

All my prices are for a grade 11 cabin on deck 12

So I think you have done very well, saving 60% of my fare had I done the same as you.

Pete

Archived