crappy travel agent, what can we do???

my sisters booked with a travel agent. he has been horrible! anyway, is there any way they can get their booking changed to carnival directly, or get rid of the agent?

their missing out on all the price drops & their agent is telling them they can't get them when they ask him. true? or is he just being lazy?

he has a 'history' of lying to them. he told them he couldn't change their room to an adjoining room with me, and i did it myself (with the help of a carnival agent)

its his own company

hate to cancel and try and rebook ASAP, cuz its an adjoining room with us, and we are scared that we might lose it

When is your cruise and what rate is your sister booked under?

Early saver, past guest ect?

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

sister had to book thru this travel agent, as it was to be a Dental Hygiene Seminar-at-Sea, and they had to book thru him.

we decided to make it a family cruise, so i booked on same cruise, but thru carnival website.

well, the Seminar was cancelled. we decided to go ahead with cruise and therein lies our delimma

sister had to book thru this travel agent, as it was to be a Dental Hygiene Seminar-at-Sea, and they had to book thru him.

we decided to make it a family cruise, so i booked on same cruise, but thru carnival website.

well, the Seminar was cancelled. we decided to go ahead with cruise and therein lies our delimma

do you know what rate she is booked under? That would determine her options with canceling and is she past the final payment date?

Bill

If your sister was booked at a group rate through the seminar, the travel agent is correct - she can not get price drops and can't change her cabin to one outside the group of cabins that were reserved for the group (she could move to another cabin inside the group block if any are still unsold)..

While the situation sucks, it doesn't seem like it is the TA's fault. Unfortunately they have to play by Carnival's rules....that is why I never use a TA.

Some people here will say differently (like the TA's) but I believe the customer has much more influence with CCL than a TA ever could.

their missing out on all the price drops & their agent is telling them they can't get them when they ask him. true? or is he just being lazy?

)

its up to you to be proactive in looking for price reductions. When you find one you call your agent and tell them to submit the forms.

You cant expect an agent to check all cruises for every price reduction-- that would take forever.

With Early saver rate you are entitled to EVERY price drop that you find as long as its the same category or above

its up to you to be proactive in looking for price reductions. When you find one you call your agent and tell them to submit the forms.

You cant expect an agent to check all cruises for every price reduction-- that would take forever.

With Early saver rate you are entitled to EVERY price drop that you find as long as its the same category or above

after reading the OP's post it sounded to me that they did find them and notified the TA but said he couldn't get them the price drops.

Don't know why because the OP hasn't given much info to go on.

Bill

after reading the OP's post it sounded to me that they did find them and notified the TA but said he couldn't get them the price drops.

Don't know why because the OP hasn't given much info to go on.

Bill

then if that is the case-- i would ask for a supervisor and ask why.

According the Carnival policy-- it is allowed to get as many price drops that come available

i called carnival & talked to an agent there, gave him the booking number for my sisters booking.

he said that her booking was not done 'early saver' by the travel agent, so there ya go

really too bad, cuz they paid about $1000 each, and me, right next door, in adjoining room, am now down to $740.00

i called carnival & talked to an agent there, gave him the booking number for my sisters booking.

he said that her booking was not done 'early saver' by the travel agent, so there ya go

really too bad, cuz they paid about $1000 each, and me, right next door, in adjoining room, am now down to $740.00

You can get a price reduction with any pricing category up to at least the final payment date. After the final payment date only early saver can get price reductions and that will be in the form of an OBC.

I don't know what's up with your TA. We used one for our sailing and haven't had one single issue. Submitted 3 price drops. Every single one honored. That's too bad for your sister. I would cancel and rebook. If she calls carnival to rebook immediately after, she should be able to get the adjoining room. It's a risk. We have adjoining rooms and they are not easy to come by.

Some people here will say differently (like the TA's) but I believe the customer has much more influence with CCL than a TA ever could.

Ok - trying not to flame, but that has to be one of the most ridiculous statements that I have read in a long time. I am not a TA but really . . . a customer books how many cruises with Carnival???? A TA books how many cruises with Carnival (daily)???? Do you REALLY think that a single purchaser has more pull than a company that does exponentially more business with Carnival?? If you pull your business they lose how much $$$ ??? An agency or a group of agencies pulls their business they lose how much $$$?

Now, as for watching for price drops I would agree that you are better watching for them yourself. However, as for getting the best deals, being able to resolve issues, etc. a large company always has more clout dealing with an entity like Carnival. It is simple business economics.

my sisters booked with a travel agent. he has been horrible! anyway, is there any way they can get their booking changed to carnival directly, or get rid of the agent?

he has a 'history' of lying to them. he told them he couldn't change their room to an adjoining room with me, and i did it myself (with the help of a carnival agent)

If the agent is an employee and not manager or owner of the agency then he is being honest. The agency will control what can and cannot be done. When the price drops so does the agencies commission. Not to disparage an agency as this is the way they pay for the cost of operations, it is a sad fact. I am retired from the travel industry and it is a dying one. Sad fact is the agent would love to help but they have to protect their jobs as well. Know from experience...

If the agent is an employee and not manager or owner of the agency then he is being honest. The agency will control what can and cannot be done. When the price drops so does the agencies commission. Not to disparage an agency as this is the way they pay for the cost of operations, it is a sad fact. I am retired from the travel industry and it is a dying one. Sad fact is the agent would love to help but they have to protect their jobs as well. Know from experience...

post #4 the OP stated the TA owns the agency.:)

Not sure when the OP and her sister are cruising but since they are not ES the only saving grace would be if they are before the final payment date.

If the final payment date has passed then I guess they have no recourse.

Bill

then if that is the case-- i would ask for a supervisor and ask why.

According the Carnival policy-- it is allowed to get as many price drops that come available

Group bookings have a whole set of different dynamics, the rates are set by Carnival and cannot be changed. The block of rooms purchased comes with a binding contract. Even if the conference is cancelled the block of rooms were not.

Ok - trying not to flame, but that has to be one of the most ridiculous statements that I have read in a long time. I am not a TA but really . . . a customer books how many cruises with Carnival???? A TA books how many cruises with Carnival (daily)???? Do you REALLY think that a single purchaser has more pull than a company that does exponentially more business with Carnival?? If you pull your business they lose how much $$$ ??? An agency or a group of agencies pulls their business they lose how much $$$?

Now, as for watching for price drops I would agree that you are better watching for them yourself. However, as for getting the best deals, being able to resolve issues, etc. a large company always has more clout dealing with an entity like Carnival. It is simple business economics.

It's not simple business economics, you don't get a better deal booking through a ta unless you have an agent willing to pass their commission along to you as a form of saving.

At the end of the day it's customers that make Carnival go around not TA"S

Sounds like a contract was signed by the travel agent for the group rate and block of rooms. Like any contract you cannot make changes.

I used to be a TA, and I am going to tell you, it REALLY depends on the size of the agency. If you are a HUGE chain agency, like L*****Y Travel, here on the East Coast, then MAYBE you have the pull, but keep in mind, there are ALOT of Mom & Pop type of operations that have absolutely NO pull. Even thought I USED to be a TA, and loved the job, and benefits ( pre 9/11 ):o We don't book ANYTHING through a TA or 3rd party company. I want to be in complete control of my booking, for reasons like this.....:D

It's not simple business economics, you don't get a better deal booking through a ta unless you have an agent willing to pass their commission along to you as a form of saving.

At the end of the day it's customers that make Carnival go around not TA"S

Not necessary true. For instance, if the agency books group space in January for a Christmas cruise at the going rate and the rates go up closer to sailing the agency can still offer the cruise at the lower rate. You see those deals in the newspaper all the time. In addition, the cruise line will also promote flash sales to the agencies for open space near the sailing date or on voyages that aren't selling well. You and I would never know about them. On the cruise I took last New Years my TA let our family know about a "Buy one balcony, get the 2nd balcony at 50% off" offer on MSC that wasn't widely advertised to the public. Saved our family a LOT of $$. Yes, the agency lost POTENTIAL commission by not selling us a more expensive cruise. Their philosophy is that if they take care of us than we will keep bringing them our future business and refer our friends.

I am fortunate that I have had an excellent TA for many years. I have gotten fantastic deals, have had price reductions processed without complaint and had tremendous assistance the one time that we had an emergency on board.

I used to be a TA, and I am going to tell you, it REALLY depends on the size of the agency. If you are a HUGE chain agency, like L*****Y Travel, here on the East Coast, then MAYBE you have the pull, but keep in mind, there are ALOT of Mom & Pop type of operations that have absolutely NO pull. Even thought I USED to be a TA, and loved the job, and benefits ( pre 9/11 ):o We don't book ANYTHING through a TA or 3rd party company. I want to be in complete control of my booking, for reasons like this.....:D

The agency that I do business with is a family owned business that is a member of a consortium. It gives them the buying power of the larger agencies (like you mentioned) without sacrificing the personal service.

I have a group cruise planned and I can book any rate that is available on Carnival's website and get price reduction for my group through my TA. Depends if you want the group rate and/or amenity or you want the lowest price for the cruise. In either case, you can still stay in the group...

Archived