Will I need heavy coats for July 1 Alaska cruise?

MariahJ

We are not visiting any glaciers but we are doing a wildlife cruise in Juneau and Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion in Skagway that might get a bit windy. We'll be back onboard by 5:30 pm each day. I'm trying to pack lightly but don't want my family to freeze. How heavy of a coat should I pack? Disney says the average high temperature is in the 60's in July, but I'm looking at weather in Skagway now and it's in the upper 70's.

We sailed in early July 2 years ago and we're from Florida (sailing the same time this year). I would recommend a heavy zip up hoodie or a fleece jacket that could be layered with short sleeved or long sleeved shirts underneath. The only day I really needed a heavy coat, gloves or a hat was in Glacier Bay. The main thing you will probably need is rain gear. Water proof jackets big enough to layer underneath - a sweatshirt or fleece, then other layers.

If you don't have the room to pack big heavy jackets, then don't layering is really the key.

No--but, you will need a rain jacket. I had a hooded one. [mine was the kind you buy in in tourist places for $19.95. We got ours on the dock in San Francisco. It was the best money I have ever spent] It had a warm lining--but, was not a winter coat.

We cruised from August 31 to Sept 7. So, temps could be cold for part of the day. We had snow on our tour in Denali. Layers were the way to go.

As someone who lives in Interior Alaska I just wanted to re-inforce the advice already offered regarding layers. Don't take some sort of winter coat, just take layers which can be adjusted according to the weather conditions (ie waterproof outer layer able to be worn over a fleece jacket and long sleeve top).

Opinions of what constitutes a "heavy jacket" vary depending upon where one lives. However I would recommend a decent quality waterproof/windproof jacket with or without hood and a heavy fleece or wool sweater to wear under the jacket. Some of the temperatures in S.E. Alaska this spring have been abnormally warm but that does not mean that these temperatures are going to hold.

Layers are key ... start with a long or short sleeve T, then a fleece pullover or wool sweater, topped by a hooded waterproof jacket. Also bring a pair of gloves (and a ski cap if your jacket isn't hooded.)

Carry a daypack so you have somewhere to store your layers as the day heats up, or conversely, it's a place to store your layers in case you need them later. The pack will also hold your wallet, camera, binoculars, water bottle, power bar, etc

I always carry a poncho in my daypack ... the length keeps your legs warm and dry to the knee, plus it protects your daypack contents.

Archived