Administration Fee

hypercafe

I just found out that there is a $100pp admin fee charged if a cruise is canceled 30 days prior to final payment date. The customer service rep at Oceania said this was a newer policy so I thought I would pass it along. If this is old news sorry!!

Both parties agree to the following provisions:

The following cancellation penalties apply to cruises of 1 to 14 days in length:

120 - 91 days or more prior to departure - $100 PP Administrative Fee

IMO reasonable

Some lines impose a cancellation fee AT ANY TIME after you book.

With so many folks booking multiple cruises that they intend to cancel, I think the policy helps the cruise line know who is serious.

Hmmm. I don't know where the info in JustBill's post comes from but it looks like what is on the 'Guest Statement' with the other date range penalties. So does that mean it is $100 per person so $200 for most bookings.

Due to the spread (difference between buy & sell exchange rates) Canadians who do not have US credit card accounts would have always wasted ~$75 to cancel (assuming rates do not change). $75 is not a lot of money (though now possibly $275) to hold and cancel a legitimate cabin booking but if the booking is made with the the thought that it might be cancelled then it is a complete waste. So it has always costs us to book and cancel. Just more for us now.

I *think* I read that residents outside of Canada/ USA lose the entire deposit. It seems to me there has been in increase in posts on this board from UK residents so O night be doing more promotion there and has changed that policy.

In any event, while I understand why some make several bookings knowing that they will cancel some of them, I disagree with the practice as it shuts others out from making a legitimate booking. Then last minute angst with waitlists as can be seen by posts on this board.

Before you could cancel up to final payment without penalty (usually 90days)

The new rules are

Cruises 14 Nights or less:

• 120-91 Days Prior - $100 per person
  • 90-76 Days Prior - 25% of Fare
  • 75-61 Days Prior - 50% of Fare
  • 60-31 Days Prior - 75% of Fare
  • 30-0 Days Prior - 100% of Fare

Cruises 15 Nights or more:

• 180-151 Days Prior - $100 per person
  • 150-121 Days Prior - 25% of Fare
  • 120-91 Days Prior - 50% of Fare
  • 90-61 Days Prior - 75% of Fare
  • 60-0 Days Prior - 100% of Fare

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/termsconditions.aspx

The final payment date has also changed for cruise 15 + days

Unless otherwise noted, final payment must be received by Oceania Cruises 90 days prior to cruise departures for voyages 14 nights or less and 150 days prior for voyages 15 nights or longer. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to cancel any booking not fully paid at time of final payment.

I think it's a good idea, and should be more. It would stop people from booking just to hold space in case they go. It would free up cabin's for true bookings.

Rick

I have 2 cruises on deposit, and will cancel one of them. DH has a project that will "go live" in one of those 2 weeks, but we are not sure at this point, which date that will be...

One of those sailing dates will be cancelled. Are mine not "true" bookings?

What do you propose people like us do?

We are in fact one of those people who book "in case we go". I think everyone should be able to decide for themselves for whatever reason works for THEM, not others, how they book their cruises.

I have 2 cruises on deposit, and will cancel one of them. DH has a project that will "go live" in one of those 2 weeks, but we are not sure at this point, which date that will be...

One of those sailing dates will be cancelled. Are mine not "true" bookings?

What do you propose people like us do?

We are in fact one of those people who book "in case we go". I think everyone should be able to decide for themselves for whatever reason works for THEM, not others, how they book their cruises.

I think you are exactly who had the cruise line had in mind when they implemented the fee.

Nice for you that you want to decide later and hold a place that you are never going to use on a cruise you know you will cancel. In doing so you are depriving others from booking and the cruise line is entitled to know where it has openings. I bet if airlines did not charge cancellation fees you'd book multiple flights as well!

I think you are exactly who had the cruise line had in mind when they implemented the fee.

Nice for you that you want to decide later and hold a place that you are never going to use on a cruise you know you will cancel. In doing so you are depriving others from booking and the cruise line is entitled to know where it has openings. I bet if airlines did not charge cancellation fees you'd book multiple flights as well!

And if I don't have a problem with tying up $3000.00 in deposits, and paying the admin fee, why should you?

You really don't get it

It's not all about you!

You are holding spaces on the ship that others want

You are depriving the cruise line from knowing how many cruisers they really have booked

Your deposits are meaningless to the other cruisers who want to take the cruise you are not going to take and the cruise line who has to give it back.

Appreciate all the support for this policy.

Some have suggested a more meaningful penalty to discourage the "multiple booking but i'll cancel one of them practice" - should the penalty be 10% rather than $100?

FDR

Some have suggested a more meaningful penalty to discourage the "multiple booking but i'll cancel one of them practice" - should the penalty be 10% rather than $100?

FDR

Or cancel three or four of them.

I am not going to be the one to espouse a greater penalty.

BUT

If there were some way you could structure the cancellation clause so that at the point a cruise becomes overbooked (or has a certain number of wait list and gty bookings -- some measurable trigger) the penalty would go up (on notice) -- in other words, everyone booked on that cruise would be notified of an increased cancellation penalty if they do not cancel by a date certain. I personally think that is quite reasonable.

You really don't get it

It's not all about you!

You are holding spaces on the ship that others want

You are depriving the cruise line from knowing how many cruisers they really have booked

Your deposits are meaningless to the other cruisers who want to take the cruise you are not going to take and the cruise line who has to give it back.

Well, actually, my cruise is all about me. As is yours.

So I shouln't be able to book a cabin "in case" someone else wants it? Even if I have to cancel it.

This specific cruise is July 2014... I could find out tomorrow DH's firm date, or November or March or May... Many, many bookings and cancellations will happen in 13 months by many others as well, for a MILLION different reasons. And yes, some people will book 2 different cruises, not being sure of which one they will take. And others will book and cancel for health reasons. Does O's booking/cancellation process know the difference. Nope.

What do you propose for people who want to book a cruise, but are unable to be absolutely positively, 100% sure that they will be able to cruise on that specific cruise as you seem to be? Not everyone can be so sure of their lives in the next 18-24 months. Stuff happens.

Many people book flights on flights they may or may not take, hotel rooms that they may or may not be there for, and yes, even cruises that they may or may not take.

A cancelled cabin is a cancelled cabin, the reason does not matter.

Oceania has calculated the price of cancellations, on many different factors. If they deem it should be a stiffer penalty, then they can set it higher.

Those who have to cancel a cruise for another reason, will have to pay that fee as well.

When I made the deposit BOTH Oceania and I agreed on the terms.

Apparently FDR does not agree with you.

I would not expect you to understand.

I think FDR can do his own speaking, he doesn't need you to speak for him. If he feels the fee should be raised then change the TOS contract and raise the fees. Until then the contract is what counts, not what you or anyone else thinks it should be.

I think FDR can do his own speaking, he doesn't need you to speak for him. If he feels the fee should be raised then change the TOS contract and raise the fees. Until then the contract is what counts, not what you or anyone else thinks it should be.

He did

See post no. 13

FDR

Thanks for asking. Thinking of how it will affect me ...

I don't make hold 'em bookings. Like I said earlier w/o any admin fee from O it will cost me $75 and that is enough to discourage me. I live up to my thrifty, don't waste, value for money heritage. I do sail on O because I believe I get good value.

But I think it will not discourage others. Some have a pretty good reason to book a hold'em booking like kimanjo (though an argument could be made that that is what 'cancel for any reason' insurance is for) but also others who have, IMHO, less critical reasons (and I can think of several.) They may still make these extra bookings and just cancel a month earlier.

That would be to O's benefit as much easier to fill those vacant slots but make no difference to me as I am not likely to go shopping for a new cruise with < 120 days ahead.

So for me personally the policy has a possible negative effect with little possibility of a positive effect.

OTOH for O's benefit there is an advantage with impulse bookings. I did book two sailings in one year thinking I might have to cancel one, NOT planning on cancelling one or the other, and ended up taking both. If there was a tougher policy then I probably would not have booked both.

If you make it 10% it will still be a lot less penalty than the one you have for substituting a pax (another somewhat heated thread where because of job change DH could not go and the still booked DW wanted to take DD but it would cost the full penalty plus the full fare for DD (and perhaps if DW just continued on by herself would she then be charged the single supplement?!) Surely a 'transfer' that could have been dealt with a $100, $200, $500 admin fee (i.e. cost x 5). I have seen on other boards mention of IMO small fees for that.

Sorry if a little OT but this was about fees and I wanted to post that for some time

He did

See post no. 13

FDR didn't agree or disagree with anyone in the post you referenced. He said he appreciated the support for the policy. He said SOME have suggested a more meaningful penalty and asked if the penalty should be 10%. No where did he agree or disagree with anyone, once again I say Oceania has the power to change their TOS for future cruises without asking permission from this board or anyone but until they do change the TOS the current contract is what counts, no matter what you or anyone else think it should be.

The $100 administration fee is not necessarily lost. The ticket contract says: "The Administration Fee may be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation and for travel any time." So, if you book another cruise within 12 months of cancelling the first cruise, the $100 fee will be credited against the fare for the second cruise. Hope this helps.

Dave

FDR

In the UK the penalty for cancelling is loss of deposit, so this situation doesn't generally occur.

If our upcoming Marina Barcelona to Rio cruise had been booked with a different cruise line, we would stand to lose our deposits of approx $1500 dollars and with no hope of a conversion to a FCC.

If the cancellation is due to a valid reason, i.e. not because you just preferred a different cruise, then travel insurance would cover the loss, minus an excess of course.

To answer FDR's question I think it is a fair policy and a sound business practice. 100$ is on the low side considering what the trip can cost however 10% seems high. I think 200 t0 250$ range fits well.

FDR

Yes, or loss of deposit as we have in the UK.

We have booked and paid a £500 pp deposit last Autumn for a future cruise later this year. If we cancel, change our mind for any reason, we lose the deposit. Of course, we have travel insurance to cover us for illness etc. but this would not cover us just for changing our mind! Not sure if the deposit is transferable to another cruise, but will now check that out. Not that we plan on changing! :)

Seems unfair that others can "hold" cruises in this way with little or no monetary loss to exclude genuine bookers from booking if a cruise is sold out, or the anxiety of a "wait list".

I would not like the headache of working in your revenue/planning department! ;):)

FDR didn't agree or disagree with anyone in the post you referenced. He said he appreciated the support for the policy. He said SOME have suggested a more meaningful penalty and asked if the penalty should be 10%. No where did he agree or disagree with anyone, once again I say Oceania has the power to change their TOS for future cruises without asking permission from this board or anyone but until they do change the TOS the current contract is what counts, no matter what you or anyone else think it should be.

You miss the point

The policy is the policy - now

But obviously conduct of some who book with intent to cancel is causing FDR to consider a more stringent policy going forward as his post reflects. Those (like Kimanjo) who feel they are "entitled" to book as many cruises as they want as long as they are willing to pay the deposit will be responsible for any such changes.

Archived