What do I need in my carry on for day 1?

Tapster

I've seen a few posts where people have said they don't mind what time their luggage arrives at the cabin because they have all they need in their carry on. So what do I need to put in my carry on?

I'm travelling on Carnival Spirit out of Sydney at the end of July with my husband and three kids 6, 4 and 1.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

A fresh change of clothes, though dinner is always casual the first evening.

Clothing for the pool area, including swimwear.

Any medications.

Valuables.

Damageables.

But since you'll have more room than that, if you're flying to your embarkation port fill with a selection of clothes just in case your hold baggage decides to take a holiday somewhere else.;)

JB :)

I carry any jewelry, camera, medications, change of underwear, change of top, travel documents, swimsuit (I wouldn't want to be without one in warm weather and don't want the agony of shopping for one if our luggage is lost), personal grooming items, hairbrush/comb and the like. We never pack valuables in checked luggage. I always travel in a decent pair of black slacks so I can shower, change my top and can manage for dinner that evening.

Our carry on is what I refer to as the emergency bag. If we never receive any other luggage, we can still have an enjoyable vacation with what is in this bag. For my family of 4, it includes bathing suits, change of clothes for cold and hot weather, bathroom supplies and my medical kit. All important documents are in my purse. I find thinking about the trip in the most simple manner helps me pack the emergency bag appropriately for each trip.

I would suggest a change of clothes for all of you (just in case your luggage gets misplaced), cruise documents, jewelry, electronics such as cameras or iPods, and your 6 year old to have a backpack to carry on with bathing suits, sunscreen, and stuffed animals if needed for a nap time for each child. Most children want to go straight to the pool area. Medications for the children and mom and dad. Chargers for phone calls before leaving port.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

i usually fly in a couple of days before. So on embarkation day I usually have a dinner appropriate outfit on and carry my purse which has my important stuff (meds, jewellery, docs, wallet etc).

I don't usually travel to hot places, so I don't bother about a bathing suit (but would take that if going to Caribean etc)

Our carry-ons contain medications, camera equipment, documents, valuables. Our carry-ons are small ones.

We do not worry about a change of clothes for dinner. When we leave the hotel, we are not dressed in shorts or anything like that. Slacks and nice tops just in case we don't get our luggage before dinner.

We do split all our clothes over 4 suitcases just in case 1 of the suitcases gets lost.

I see you have a 1yo...nobody mentioned extra diapers! :eek: I would add enough for an extra day or two in case of lost luggage. You can put a few in everyone's carryon to spread them out a bit if needed.

We do split all our clothes over 4 suitcases just in case 1 of the suitcases gets lost.

I have never thought about that before. That is a great tip for ANY vacation. Next group or couples trip I do, this is a must.

Archived