Quick Report on the Dream, June 15-22

• Administrators

Hi, y'all,

I'm happy to report that we just returned from a wonderful family cruise on the Carnival Dream. Our party was made up of five adults, and we took this trip to have a nice vacation with our dad, who was taking his first cruise at the age of 77! :) My sister, brother, his wife, and I had all cruised before, and it was really fun to see the experience through my dad's eyes.

We have had many wonderful, thorough, photo reviews of the Dream on this board over the last couple of years (which I devoured when planning this trip, and I thank all of those members!), so I have nothing really "new" to add. I hope reporting a few of our impressions/thoughts might be helpful to someone, though, so here they are in no particular order. I'll also be happy to answer questions if anyone has some.

1. Faster to the Fun was worth it for us. It let us settle in and unpack before going to lunch on the first day onboard, which "felt" like adding another day to the cruise. That said, I realize people on the sailing after ours may not feel the same way, because we were late getting back into Port Canaveral due to a medical emergency.

2. We really enjoyed the evening shows in the Encore theater, and the comedians in the Burgundy Lounge.

3. We had Father's Day dinner at the Chef's Art Steakhouse and thought it was overall an excellent experience. We all enjoyed our steaks and thought they were perfectly seasoned and cooked. My dad said his ribeye was among the best steaks he has ever eaten, and he's definitely a steak person, so that was saying something, indeed! I loved the mushroom side dish -- it was really delicious.

4. My sister and I did the Chef's Table and we were so fortunate as to have a group of just seven for the experience. The Chef de Cuisine, Clytus, was amazingly young to have so much responsibility. The whole evening was just a super experience. My sister is the true "foodie" among us; I was mostly just keeping her company, and she said all the courses were excellent. Her favorite was the waygu beef.

5. We had occasion to visit the medical center this cruise -- they could not have been nicer or more helpful.

6. The Dream captain and staff were excellent at keeping us informed on this sailing. We had a medical emergency when a member of the crew suffered burn injuries, and had to sail several hours to get within range of a Coast Guard evacuation helicopter. As those events unfolded, and afterwards as our return to Port Canaveral was delayed, the cruise director Jamie Dees was really diligent about keeping us apprised of timing, etc.

7. I do have a suggestion for Carnival about keeping people informed. No ship announcements other than those coded emergency are played over the in-cabin speakers, which is fine -- no reason to pipe "today's the big watch sale" into cabins, that's annoying as heck! However, I found myself on several occasions wishing I could hear those shipwide announcements in my cabin over the tv if I wanted to. The morning we were delayed getting into St. Martin, for example, I really wanted to hear what they were saying and I couldn't from within the cabin. I even called guest services to find out if I had missed a channel on the tv I could tune to and hear the announcements (the Princess ships I've been on have that feature), but I was informed that Carnival didn't offer such a function. I would like that ability -- if I wanted to hear what they were saying during an announcement I could hear it without running for the cabin door.

8. My family really enjoyed the trivia and other games offered by the entertainment staff in the Ocean Plaza. We spent a lot of time there and had a great time -- and at "old timer's trivia" we even won the game! I have my first ship on a stick! :)

9. Overall we thought the food onboard was hit or miss. Some things were great (the pizza was yummy, Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (of course), the Mongolian Wok, the omelette stations at breakfast, and the French Toast were a few standouts). Some things were... not so good. ;) But none of us had any trouble finding plenty of good things to eat when we wanted them. I did enjoy doing fixed seating dining for the first time in many cruises (normally I'm an anytime dining person). I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the experience again.

10. My brother and sister in law yesterday rode in a shuttle bus back to their stay-n-cruise hotel with a family saying what a bad cruise they had on the Dream because it was so much worse than their Disney cruise. He asked me to mention this in my report, because he felt that family had set themselves up for disappointment with their expectations. He may be right about that -- sometimes I do read things on the boards and think "I wonder what they were expecting?"

CONCLUSION: What I "expected" on this sailing was a great vacation with my family, and I got that. In my review of my last Carnival cruise (the Triumph in 2009), I posted "I think Carnival offers a good product at a good price -- which to me means it's a good value." I still feel that way.

I also have one last thought -- about midway through the cruise I was sitting on my balcony, listening to the "swish swish" of the ocean, relaxing after visiting the spa and reading for a while before getting ready for dinner. I had a thought -- maybe I'd get the notepad from the cabin and jot down my thoughts on the controversial issues from the CC boards ("cutbacks," tipping, poor communications, rude passengers, drunk people, etc) based on my experiences on the Dream. That thought lasted about two seconds -- I laughed out loud, picked my Kindle up again, and continued to have a wonderful cruise. I wish the same to all of you. :)

Well done and sounds as if you had a great time. Sounds like we approach vacations the same way.... I'm on vacation so why worry about trivial things, just enjoy the moment!

Thanks for the concise review.

Host Michell, I really enjoyed your review.

It was very nice that your Dad of 77 not only joined you but had the opportunity to take his first cruise. I am sure this meant a lot to him and you have made memories that will last a lifetime.

Keith

Hi, y'all,

I'm happy to report that we just returned from a wonderful family cruise on the Carnival Dream. Our party was made up of five adults, and we took this trip to have a nice vacation with our dad, who was taking his first cruise at the age of 77! :) My sister, brother, his wife, and I had all cruised before, and it was really fun to see the experience through my dad's eyes.

We have had many wonderful, thorough, photo reviews of the Dream on this board over the last couple of years (which I devoured when planning this trip, and I thank all of those members!), so I have nothing really "new" to add. I hope reporting a few of our impressions/thoughts might be helpful to someone, though, so here they are in no particular order. I'll also be happy to answer questions if anyone has some.

1. Faster to the Fun was worth it for us. It let us settle in and unpack before going to lunch on the first day onboard, which "felt" like adding another day to the cruise. That said, I realize people on the sailing after ours may not feel the same way, because we were late getting back into Port Canaveral due to a medical emergency.

2. We really enjoyed the evening shows in the Encore theater, and the comedians in the Burgundy Lounge.

3. We had Father's Day dinner at the Chef's Art Steakhouse and thought it was overall an excellent experience. We all enjoyed our steaks and thought they were perfectly seasoned and cooked. My dad said his ribeye was among the best steaks he has ever eaten, and he's definitely a steak person, so that was saying something, indeed! I loved the mushroom side dish -- it was really delicious.

4. My sister and I did the Chef's Table and we were so fortunate as to have a group of just seven for the experience. The Chef de Cuisine, Clytus, was amazingly young to have so much responsibility. The whole evening was just a super experience. My sister is the true "foodie" among us; I was mostly just keeping her company, and she said all the courses were excellent. Her favorite was the waygu beef.

5. We had occasion to visit the medical center this cruise -- they could not have been nicer or more helpful.

6. The Dream captain and staff were excellent at keeping us informed on this sailing. We had a medical emergency when a member of the crew suffered burn injuries, and had to sail several hours to get within range of a Coast Guard evacuation helicopter. As those events unfolded, and afterwards as our return to Port Canaveral was delayed, the cruise director Jamie Dees was really diligent about keeping us apprised of timing, etc.

7. I do have a suggestion for Carnival about keeping people informed. No ship announcements other than those coded emergency are played over the in-cabin speakers, which is fine -- no reason to pipe "today's the big watch sale" into cabins, that's annoying as heck! However, I found myself on several occasions wishing I could hear those shipwide announcements in my cabin over the tv if I wanted to. The morning we were delayed getting into St. Martin, for example, I really wanted to hear what they were saying and I couldn't from within the cabin. I even called guest services to find out if I had missed a channel on the tv I could tune to and hear the announcements (the Princess ships I've been on have that feature), but I was informed that Carnival didn't offer such a function. I would like that ability -- if I wanted to hear what they were saying during an announcement I could hear it without running for the cabin door.

8. My family really enjoyed the trivia and other games offered by the entertainment staff in the Ocean Plaza. We spent a lot of time there and had a great time -- and at "old timer's trivia" we even won the game! I have my first ship on a stick! :)

9. Overall we thought the food onboard was hit or miss. Some things were great (the pizza was yummy, Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (of course), the Mongolian Wok, the omelette stations at breakfast, and the French Toast were a few standouts). Some things were... not so good. ;) But none of us had any trouble finding plenty of good things to eat when we wanted them. I did enjoy doing fixed seating dining for the first time in many cruises (normally I'm an anytime dining person). I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the experience again.

10. My brother and sister in law yesterday rode in a shuttle bus back to their stay-n-cruise hotel with a family saying what a bad cruise they had on the Dream because it was so much worse than their Disney cruise. He asked me to mention this in my report, because he felt that family had set themselves up for disappointment with their expectations. He may be right about that -- sometimes I do read things on the boards and think "I wonder what they were expecting?"

CONCLUSION: What I "expected" on this sailing was a great vacation with my family, and I got that. In my review of my last Carnival cruise (the Triumph in 2009), I posted "I think Carnival offers a good product at a good price -- which to me means it's a good value." I still feel that way.

I also have one last thought -- about midway through the cruise I was sitting on my balcony, listening to the "swish swish" of the ocean, relaxing after visiting the spa and reading for a while before getting ready for dinner. I had a thought -- maybe I'd get the notepad from the cabin and jot down my thoughts on the controversial issues from the CC boards ("cutbacks," tipping, poor communications, rude passengers, drunk people, etc) based on my experiences on the Dream. That thought lasted about two seconds -- I laughed out loud, picked my Kindle up again, and continued to have a wonderful cruise. I wish the same to all of you. :)

I am going on the Dream June 29th. I appreciate your review! I was wondering what excursions you guys did on the islands? Any hints or ideas for a first time cruiser. I wanted the fttf pass but waited to late to purchase it. Wish I would have decided earlier.

Glad you had a great time. Can't wait for mine to begin. :)

One question: You said you thought the pizza was great. From your memory (I see it's been a few years), was it the same as your last Carnival cruise or was it a different recipe?

• Administrators
I am going on the Dream June 29th. I appreciate your review! I was wondering what excursions you guys did on the islands? Any hints or ideas for a first time cruiser. I wanted the fttf pass but waited to late to purchase it. Wish I would have decided earlier.

Because of our party size and some mobility issues, we chose private tours with only our group in St. Thomas (Bruce Flamon, "Chicago" tours), and St. Martin (Bernard's Tours). Both were great. With the short port day in Nassau we chose to stay onboard.

One suggestion to you is to read the FunTimes thoroughly each evening so you have an idea of what might interest you for the next day and can plan your day. Also on the first day, when you get to your cabin, look through the papers which will be inside -- for instance, the room service menu is printed on the back of a paper which said "Good to Know" or something like that. You wouldn't want to miss out on something you are interested in. On the first day, I'd also suggest taking the spa tour -- we really enjoyed using those facilities during our cruise and you might as well.

A tip for this ship is to use decks 4 or 5 when you need to go all the way from fore to aft or vice versa (Decks 10 and 11 also work but take you outdoors, so be aware of wind/rain if you are dressed up). The staff and crew on the Dream are just great -- I'm sure you will have an unforgettable experience!

• Administrators
Glad you had a great time. Can't wait for mine to begin. :)

One question: You said you thought the pizza was great. From your memory (I see it's been a few years), was it the same as your last Carnival cruise or was it a different recipe?

This was definitely a different pizza recipe -- I LOVED the quatro formaggio (I'm sure I butchered that spelling), and the margherita was also really good.

• Administrators
Host Michell, I really enjoyed your review.

It was very nice that your Dad of 77 not only joined you but had the opportunity to take his first cruise. I am sure this meant a lot to him and you have made memories that will last a lifetime.

Keith

Thanks, Keith -- my dad had a wonderful time! He said the relaxing aspect of it wasn't too different from his day-to-day, since he's retired (which makes sense!) -- but he loved being able to unpack and easily get to entertainment, meals, etc. He was very impressed with the scale of the ship and the quality of entertainment, too.

• Administrators
Is the band Blackjack back on board yet? They are fantastic. We sat every evening and listened to them in the Ocean Lounge when we sailed in Feb.

They were on vacation while we were onboard, but I believe they were due back around the time we left. I'd read good things about them, but they weren't onboard with us this time. Maybe I'll have to sail again soon to hear them! :)

Host Michell did a wonderful job of identifying the good aspects of the Dream and this cruise. We too just got off the same cruise and had a blast.

For all the negative publicity that Carnival has been getting it seems only fair to describe what happened to us and how Carnival handled it.

Let's begin with the situation in St Marteen. We arrived prior to the Oasis of the Seas (as we followed her from Nassau) and were what I thought was going to back into the port. This was what the Oasis did... However no.... We sat out in the seas and waited. Then The Captain announced that we were waiting for the winds to die down as they were too strong for us to port. I was confused as there seemed to be no winds and the Oasis did fine and she is twice our size. But in about 30 minutes we began moving again and to my surprise we did not back the ship into the port but pulled in behind the Carnival Freedom (which is smaller than us). So again we could not port why?????????? But the delay was minimal and the Captain did keep us informed..... 40 knot winds I am not sure there was a 2 kn breeze but I was not sailing the ship so I leave it to them.

As we were leaving St Marteen we were told that there was a break in the Hot water Line and that they were going to take it off line for repairs. We would however have plenty of cold water and the toilets would work. They estimated a 2 hour repair and it was just that 2 hours........ Again Carnival delivered on their promise and the inconvenience was minimal.

Day 1 at sea - Today began with the overhead paging of a guest to call Guest Services. This was done three times over an hour and then we were notified that if the guest in question did not respond that there would be an immediate cabin by cabin search.... Oh boy was this going to be fun..... Again PLENTY OF NOTICE by the ship on what was going on. At about 10 there was the following announcement: "We are happy to say that the guest has been found...... However you will notice that we are picking up speed and changing course. If there is an ER Surgeon or Anesthetist on board please contact Guest Services immediately as we have a medical emergency." First thought was must be the person with the missing guest and either an angry father or husband. The next message again was for any medical personnel on board. Being a RN of 28 years I immediately went to offer my assistance. I was thanked, my cabin and name taken, and told that they would contact me if they needed to intervene on the patient. I thought surgery at high seas will be something else. I proceeded to the Medical Center to offer my services and again was greeted with thanks. Four hours we traveled toward San Juan and about every hour we were told of the condition of the patient and our plans. Well the Coast Guard came and took the patient off to San Juan. Later we found out it was a crew member. How sad. My thoughts were with him the remainder of the cruise. But what I really thought was awesome was the knock on the door about an hour after the patient left. There stood the Captain, the Cruise Director, and the Physician all to thank me personally for my offer of assistance. That says a lot about the character of Carnival. A simple note would have been enough but no they wanted to make sure that they thanked each person who came to the assistance of the crew member. I do not know about the others but I was left with a warm feeling inside.

So onward to home. We were told of the delay in arriving in Port Canaveral many times and each time it was pleasant and accurate. They said 1030 and we arrived at 1025. We hauled butt home but were unable to make up the time we lost in diversion of the emergency. Not Carnival's fault but again we were kept abreast of the situation and all. They even opened the phone lines so that everyone could call home and notify them of the delay and make alternate plans. AT NO CHARGE TO THE GUESTS. For only a 3 hour delay that was nice.

Arrival to Port Canaveral..... Now this was not the pleasant experience of old. Everyone was cramming the lobby and trying to get off but it just made the situation worse. Finally about an hour and half into it they got control and the process smoothed out quickly. we were off the ship by 1230. Then hell hit..... There were all the guests arriving to board while we were attempting to get off and it was something out of a horror movie. The shuttles could not move as they had to pass the area where they picked up arriving guests to drop off those leaving and then circle around and pick up the arrivals. Then they had to get back into the same line to leave. So in essence each shuttle had to travel the same route twice and it was awful. There were tents for us to stand under and we did for 2.5 hours waiting for the shuttle. From the point it arrived to the time that it picked us up which was one pass around the row of tents we stood under took 1 hour. Imagine that multiplied by 60 shuttles and you can see the mess. There were over 100 passengers waiting for the Radisson shuttles and they could not get in to pick them up. Some were even walking to the street to get on. Not only dangerous but hot.

However this is not Carnival's fault as they did not build or design this new terminal. Port Canaveral really messed up on this one and if they do not fix this huge issue they are going to loose passengers because of it. You see will all this mess the passengers have to walk in between the buses and shuttles to get to the ship and to the parking lot for pick up. Not a great move. At Terminal 10 the shuttles came in one end and off loaded guests and then straight on to the other end of the terminal and picked them up. 20 Minutes and you were out of there. Today it took from the time we left the ship to we got on the shuttle 3 hours.

Overall the cruise was awesome and with the noted issues Carnival stepped up and showed that they indeed are the best in ensuring that their guests were taken care of.

Enough said

Host Michell did a wonderful job of identifying the good aspects of the Dream and this cruise. We too just got off the same cruise and had a blast.

For all the negative publicity that Carnival has been getting it seems only fair to describe what happened to us and how Carnival handled it.

Let's begin with the situation in St Marteen. We arrived prior to the Oasis of the Seas (as we followed her from Nassau) and were what I thought was going to back into the port. This was what the Oasis did... However no.... We sat out in the seas and waited. Then The Captain announced that we were waiting for the winds to die down as they were too strong for us to port. I was confused as there seemed to be no winds and the Oasis did fine and she is twice our size. But in about 30 minutes we began moving again and to my surprise we did not back the ship into the port but pulled in behind the Carnival Freedom (which is smaller than us). So again we could not port why?????????? But the delay was minimal and the Captain did keep us informed..... 40 knot winds I am not sure there was a 2 kn breeze but I was not sailing the ship so I leave it to them.

As we were leaving St Marteen we were told that there was a break in the Hot water Line and that they were going to take it off line for repairs. We would however have plenty of cold water and the toilets would work. They estimated a 2 hour repair and it was just that 2 hours........ Again Carnival delivered on their promise and the inconvenience was minimal.

Day 1 at sea - Today began with the overhead paging of a guest to call Guest Services. This was done three times over an hour and then we were notified that if the guest in question did not respond that there would be an immediate cabin by cabin search.... Oh boy was this going to be fun..... Again PLENTY OF NOTICE by the ship on what was going on. At about 10 there was the following announcement: "We are happy to say that the guest has been found...... However you will notice that we are picking up speed and changing course. If there is an ER Surgeon or Anesthetist on board please contact Guest Services immediately as we have a medical emergency." First thought was must be the person with the missing guest and either an angry father or husband. The next message again was for any medical personnel on board. Being a RN of 28 years I immediately went to offer my assistance. I was thanked, my cabin and name taken, and told that they would contact me if they needed to intervene on the patient. I thought surgery at high seas will be something else. I proceeded to the Medical Center to offer my services and again was greeted with thanks. Four hours we traveled toward San Juan and about every hour we were told of the condition of the patient and our plans. Well the Coast Guard came and took the patient off to San Juan. Later we found out it was a crew member. How sad. My thoughts were with him the remainder of the cruise. But what I really thought was awesome was the knock on the door about an hour after the patient left. There stood the Captain, the Cruise Director, and the Physician all to thank me personally for my offer of assistance. That says a lot about the character of Carnival. A simple note would have been enough but no they wanted to make sure that they thanked each person who came to the assistance of the crew member. I do not know about the others but I was left with a warm feeling inside.

So onward to home. We were told of the delay in arriving in Port Canaveral many times and each time it was pleasant and accurate. They said 1030 and we arrived at 1025. We hauled butt home but were unable to make up the time we lost in diversion of the emergency. Not Carnival's fault but again we were kept abreast of the situation and all. They even opened the phone lines so that everyone could call home and notify them of the delay and make alternate plans. AT NO CHARGE TO THE GUESTS. For only a 3 hour delay that was nice.

Arrival to Port Canaveral..... Now this was not the pleasant experience of old. Everyone was cramming the lobby and trying to get off but it just made the situation worse. Finally about an hour and half into it they got control and the process smoothed out quickly. we were off the ship by 1230. Then hell hit..... There were all the guests arriving to board while we were attempting to get off and it was something out of a horror movie. The shuttles could not move as they had to pass the area where they picked up arriving guests to drop off those leaving and then circle around and pick up the arrivals. Then they had to get back into the same line to leave. So in essence each shuttle had to travel the same route twice and it was awful. There were tents for us to stand under and we did for 2.5 hours waiting for the shuttle. From the point it arrived to the time that it picked us up which was one pass around the row of tents we stood under took 1 hour. Imagine that multiplied by 60 shuttles and you can see the mess. There were over 100 passengers waiting for the Radisson shuttles and they could not get in to pick them up. Some were even walking to the street to get on. Not only dangerous but hot.

However this is not Carnival's fault as they did not build or design this new terminal. Port Canaveral really messed up on this one and if they do not fix this huge issue they are going to loose passengers because of it. You see will all this mess the passengers have to walk in between the buses and shuttles to get to the ship and to the parking lot for pick up. Not a great move. At Terminal 10 the shuttles came in one end and off loaded guests and then straight on to the other end of the terminal and picked them up. 20 Minutes and you were out of there. Today it took from the time we left the ship to we got on the shuttle 3 hours.

Overall the cruise was awesome and with the noted issues Carnival stepped up and showed that they indeed are the best in ensuring that their guests were taken care of.

Enough said

Thank-you for your post. One question though, did you mean day 2 sea at sea? Otherwise, I don't understand how the emergency would effect the late arrival back to Port Canaveral. I wonder what that missing person was all about. I.m glad the person came forth. Can you imagine if a cabin-by-cabin search had to be done while the emergency with the crew member was going on? I understand that crew member is now in ICU at a Miami hospital. I pray for the best possible outcome. I also think that under the circumstances, the captain & crew did an exceptional job of getting everyone back to Port Canaveral as quickly as possible & there was only about a 2 hr delay in leaving for the next cruise to begin.

Thank-you for your post. One question though, did you mean day 2 sea at sea? Otherwise, I don't understand how the emergency would effect the late arrival back to Port Canaveral. I wonder what that missing person was all about. I.m glad the person came forth. Can you imagine if a cabin-by-cabin search had to be done while the emergency with the crew member was going on? I understand that crew member is now in ICU at a Miami hospital. I pray for the best possible outcome. I also think that under the circumstances, the captain & crew did an exceptional job of getting everyone back to Port Canaveral as quickly as possible & there was only about a 2 hr delay in leaving for the next cruise to begin.

I should have added: It's nice to hear positive things about Carnival. The news doesn't seem to talk much about positive things, though.

Posted in Florida Today:

"The crew of a Port Canaveral-based cruise ship helped rescue two stranded boaters east of Sebastian Inlet on Sunday.

The owner of a vessel – Tera Bite – notified the U.S. Coast Guard after two Bahamian men in his vessel didn’t show up at West End, Bahamas, as planned on Saturday morning. A Coast Guard helicopter was dispatched Sunday and found the disabled vessel about 28 miles east of Sebastian Inlet.

A nearby Carnival Cruise Lines ship – the Dream – diverted to the area to help with the rescue, picking up the two stranded men."

Host Mitchell,

Completely agree with your observation that another alternative needs to be provided in order to hear the announcements that are broadcast in the hallway other than racing to the cabin door and either only getting part of the message or none of it. Neither Celebrity's Solstice Class (in spite of their great interactive TV) nor Holland America offer this, either.

I recall on one of our past Holland America cruises all announcements could be heard in the cabin and the passengers could to turn them off if they didnt want to hear them. However the bridge had the ability to override that feature for mandatory announcements. It was a nice feature.

We sailed on the Dream June 1-June 8th and had a fabulous time. This was our second time sailing on the Dream and loved it as much the second time around as we did the first! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Hi, y'all,

Nice, very nice. My wife and I did the Chef's Table on the Dream with 5 other couples and had a fantastic time. It was an eye opening experience to have dinner in the galley with the head chef explaining everything to us. We thought it was well worth the price of admission, if you will.:D

So glad you and your familly had a great cruise.

For us, it's back to the Dream in Oct.:D

Thanks for writing. We're sailing on the Dream in September.

I agree with you on the complaint thing, regarding your brother and SIL. I've been dissatisfied about something on a Carnival cruise only once in my six cruises, and it was an MDR entrée that was not what I'd have liked it to have been. I think if people didn't expect the world, they'd be so much happier.

• Administrators
How much is it per person to do the Chef's tale and do you need to make reservations??

:confused:

The price is $75 per person, and you do have to make reservations in advance. We reserved ours through email to the steakhouse ahead of time (a search here showed me how to do that), but I have since read they are no longer taking reservations via email, so your mileage may vary. The chef's table was advertised once we were onboard and you could sign up then, as one of the couples we dined with did it that way.

Archived