First time to Bermuda

theminnow

The wife and I will be taking our first cruise, and have decided on Bermuda. The Grandeur will get in late afternoon on Sunday, so we will probably hang around the Royal Naval Dockyard. On Monday we have a full day and will likely take a ferry to Hamilton. Any suggestions on places to eat or sights to see in Hamilton?

Also any idea on the duty free prices for the following:

1. Single Malt

2. Irish whisky

3. Cognac.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

The wife and I will be taking our first cruise, and have decided on Bermuda. The Grandeur will get in late afternoon on Sunday, so we will probably hang around the Royal Naval Dockyard. On Monday we have a full day and will likely take a ferry to Hamilton. Any suggestions on places to eat or sights to see in Hamilton?

My favorite Hamilton restaurant is the Hog Penny Pub, just a short walk up from Front Street. Be sure to order the Bermuda Fish Chowder. They ask if you want a shot of dark rum and sherry pepper sauce -- say yes!

Thanks Paul we appreciate your response. The fish chowder sounds really good. Is the Hog Penny Pub along the water?

The OP is correct, the Hog Penny is on a side street -- very close to Front Street. And you can get Bermuda Fish Chowder just about anywhere in Bermuda -- but the atmosphere of Hog Penny is part of what draws us there each time we get to Bermuda.

Thanks again for the responses. While we would like to eat along the water, Paul what you said about the atmosphere at Hog Penny sounds nice. I'm always up for a pint or two before or after lunch. Perhaps we'll do both.

Also thanks for the google maps link. That will help us out a lot.

Thanks,

Craig

Thanks again for the responses. While we would like to eat along the water, Paul what you said about the atmosphere at Hog Penny sounds nice. I'm always up for a pint or two before or after lunch. Perhaps we'll do both.

Also thanks for the google maps link. That will help us out a lot.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig....Bermuda is extremely expensive. Prices are comparable to NYC. You are much better off buying any alcohol on the ship. Much cheaper. Nothing in Bermuda is cheap.

Thanks islandhoppingfool, I was not aware the prices were so high. I was hoping that since Bermuda had connections with the British Isles, Scotch & Irish whiskey would be cheaper. I'll make my purchases on board as you suggested. Does this hold true for the Bahamas & Caribbean? We are looking at cruising to those places in the next couple of years.

Thanks,

Craig

We always make a point to stop at the Pickled Onion on Front Street after getting off the ferry. We love getting a table on the balcony overlooking the street and harbor, and their pizza is excellent so we haven't tried anything else.

There's also the Irish place with a balcony.

For HP I would order the bangers & mash or Shephard's pie.

We always make a point to stop at the Pickled Onion on Front Street after getting off the ferry. We love getting a table on the balcony overlooking the street and harbor, and their pizza is excellent so we haven't tried anything else.

There's also the Irish place with a balcony.

For HP I would order the bangers & mash or Shephard's pie.

Pickled O and the Irish spot (Flanigan's?) are also a good spot for the harbor night activities

Blue Water, I see you are from NY. You recommend their pizza, nuff said. I know what I'll be ordering.

Thanks,

Craig

Not to be a wise guy, but when someone says they're from "NY State" that usually means somewhere other than NY City...and once you leave the city, pizza (and lots of other things) aren't quite the same. ;) (that's not to say the pizza at that restaurant isn't good...I haven't tried it...)

. Does this hold true for the Bahamas & Caribbean? We are looking at cruising to those places in the next couple of years.

Thanks,

Craig

I don't buy liquor for myself but I usually pick up a few bottles for friends. I think you'll find the best prices for liquor in St. Martin. Found bottles of Pure White Hennessy selling for $10 less then the ship. Great bargains to be had.

If you want to bring back something nice for your friends pick up a few bottles of Sherry Pepper Sauce along with Gosling's Black Seal Rum. These are the ingredients that make Bermuda fish chowder Bermuda fish chowder. Boy did I get hooked on this during my recent Breakaway cruise!! I had fish chowder at the Lobster Pot in Hamilton, the Bone Fish at the Dockyard, and a waterfront restaurant in St. George's that I just can't recall the name of. Going to give it a shot making this chowder this weekend using the recipe found on the Gosling's web site as I really need a Bermuda fish chowder fix :)

Archived