Has anyone had to fly to Miami?

megloowho

I have some questions about departure from Miami. We are from Oklahoma so we would be flying to Miami. We would have to get there the day before because of flight times and would need a hotel. Does anyone have suggestions for getting from the airport to the hotel to the port? On the way back we can just go straight to the airport, but getting there is much more difficult. Any suggestions or information would be great. Thanks!

I have some questions about departure from Miami. We are from Oklahoma so we would be flying to Miami. We would have to get there the day before because of flight times and would need a hotel. Does anyone have suggestions for getting from the airport to the hotel to the port? On the way back we can just go straight to the airport, but getting there is much more difficult. Any suggestions or information would be great. Thanks!

I just stayed at Comfort Suites Miami Airport North last week before my cruise and it was perfect. It seemed like a new hotel. We had two rooms, both with two beds and a pull out sofa. The reasonable ($110 after taxes) rate included a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, shuttle from the hotel to the ship, and continental breakfast with a few hot items.

Here is the link: http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-miami_springs-florida-FLB13

We live just north of you in Kansas. We normally fly into Fort Lauderale and then take some short of shuttle to Miami and then take the Carnival shuttle from Miami to Fort Lauderdale at the end of the cruise.

We find the airfares cheaper from Kansas City to Fort Lauderdale than KC to Miami.

If your hotel is near the airport the hotel shuttle will pick you up and take you to the hotel. If your hotel is downtown it is a cab ride $25 flat rate. And the same goes to get to the port cab or in some case the hotel has a shuttle that will take you to the port for a fee.

We always fly Southwest into FLL. There are shuttles in the baggage claim area - share vans which will take you to your hotel. It is about a 40 min. ride from FLL to Miami. We love the Holiday Inn Port of Miami because it is right across from Bayside, and area with shops and restaurants.

When we flew to Miami we rented a car, drove to the hotel, then the day of the cruise we took the car back to a different drop off location and they shuttled us to the port for free.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We usually take a cab each way and stay at the Holiday Inn downtown across from Bayside Market Place a neat area to visit and shop right on the waterfront:)

As stated cab fare is reasonable in Miami. There's not a whole lot to do around the airport but those ate the places with the free shuttles. A cab from most downtown hotels to port will only set you back about $10 in the morning. I like to get out and walk around and such so we stayed at the Hilton Downtown. Nice view of the port and close to whatever they call their free tram thingie if you don't want to walk to Bayside (its only 10 minutes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your hotel is near the airport the hotel shuttle will pick you up and take you to the hotel. If your hotel is downtown it is a cab ride $25 flat rate. And the same goes to get to the port cab or in some case the hotel has a shuttle that will take you to the port for a fee.

The flat rate is from the airport to the port. Taxis from the airport to downtown hotels are on the meter.

If you stay at say a downtown hotel the taxi fare from airport to the hotel will run around $25.00 to $30.00 and from hotel to the port around $10.00 to $15.00 depending on traffic and where you are staying. Take a look at places such as Hampton Inn in downtown, Intercontinental and Holiday Inn Bayside. There are many others such as Marriott, Doubletree and Hyatt.

From Port to Airport is a flat rate of around $24.00 before tip.

Book a return flight around Noon.

Keith

Since I am a transplanted Okie (Major County! :D) let me try to help.

As mentioned you can fly into either FLL or MIA. Many choose FLL for cheaper flights and lower prices on comparable hotels, which may be offset by the cost of shuttles between FLL and POM.

If you choose to fly into FLL, SAS (www.ridesas.com), QLS transportation (www.qualitylimoservice.com ), Go Airport Shuttle (http://goairportshuttle.com/) and others can shuttle you to POM for about $15 per person and they offer discounts for groups, families and children - they can also shuttle you back to FLL after your cruise. The ride takes about 40 minutes or so.

For info on most FLL area hotel check out: http://www.sunny.org

Some of CC members favorites:

Sleep Inn Dania

Cambria Suites Dania

Hyatt Place FLL north and south

Hampton Inn (2 airport area locations)

Embassy Suites

Holiday Inn Express convention center

La Quinta Airport

Hilton 17th Street

Bahia Mar

Hyatt Pier 66

If you choose to fly into MIA you need to decide where to stay - in general you have three big areas to focus on: Miami Beach, dowwntown Miami, and out near the MIA airport. Downtown Miami hotels are closest to POM, but none offer free shuttle from MIA or to POM. A taxi from MIA will cost about $26+tip and another $10-12 cab ride will get you to POM the next day. Check out the Hyatt, Doubletree, Hampton Inn (Mary Brickell), Marriott, & Intercontinental.

Miami Beach is the "Miami" you see in the movies and on TV shows -- it is a separate city from Miami, and the hotels there tend to be smaller and more expensive -- they also offer great dining, nightlife and a world class beach. A taxi to South Beach from MIA will run $32+ and another $15 cab will get you to POM.

Arriving late and just want dinner and a room? Check out hotels in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA (Hampton Inn, Sofitel, Homewood Suites and others) - free airport shuttles and shopping and dining options within walking distance. Most can arrange for shuttle service to POM for $10 per person, or you can cab it for under $30 per cab. The ride to POM will take about 15 or so minutes.

Comfort Suites Airport North offers free shuttles from the airport and then to the cruise port the next morning. Across the street is a gas station-mart if you need to pick-up soda, water, etc. There are 3-4 dining options nearby. The hotel is not in the most scenic area as it is on the edge of the airport. Hotels west of MIA in the Doral area can be even cheaper, but the cost for cabs to POM will rise and could wipe out your savings. Have a good cruise! :)

For me, it was much easier to fly into Miami than to worry about shuttling back and forth to FLL. Wasn't worth the $100 price difference to fly into FLL. Of course with families it would make a difference. I took a short taxi ride to Intercontinental which is close to the port. No problems at the airport at all.

The Miami Airport Marriott on Le jeune had a stay and cruise package rate which we used in the past. It includes transport to the port on cruise day.

Not sure if they still do this but we have done it in the past.

Thank you guys so much! You have made things so much easier. :)

Especially thanks the Okie and Kansas people who suggested Fort Lauderdale. I looked and we could save about $140 going there instead. Awesome!

Archived