Royal Princess out of New York - Better side for sailaway?

Tapi

Hi. We are booked on the Royal out of NYC. I understand that it sails out of Brooklyn so I'm trying to figure out which side provides better views during sail away.

We booked a port side stateroom when we sailed from Manhattan on a previous cruise, but we don't know what to expect sailing from Brooklyn.

Thanks for your input! :)

We booked a port side stateroom when we sailed from Manhattan on a previous cruise, but we don't know what to expect sailing from Brooklyn.

Thanks for your input! :)

I would not book a stateroom based on what I could see from it on a NYC sailaway.

I would just go out on deck at sailaway time.

Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty will be to the Starboard side as you sail out of Brooklyn

Thanks. That was my initial gut feeling, looking at the map. :)

I would not book a stateroom based on what I could see from it on a NYC sailaway.

I would just go out on deck at sailaway time.

Agree. My first sailaway out of NY was on the QE2 many years ago and we were up on deck. (Sort of had to be......small portholes and no balconies). There was an electric atmosphere when passing Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty all the way under the Verrazano Bridge. The crowd of people definitely added to the moment. I don't think it would have been the same had we been alone on a balcony. So we always go up top for that view and feeling. I would plan to do that and choose your cabin for other reasons.

Top deck outside is the way to go. You will be able to see how close the front mast is to the VZ Bridge roadway supports.

As the ship swings around to pass under the bridge, Ellis Island and the SOL are to the right but Brooklyn and Coney Island are to your left. And Manhattan will be receding on your left rear.

I am from Brooklyn and have seen all there is to see from every possible viewpoint, but, as others have said, the excitement in the air when you sail out of NY harbor almost forces you topside.

We had a balcony and never considered staying on it.

And, as we were doing round trip out of Brooklyn, we woke up early enough to watch us sail back under the VZ and back into the harbor

although on our first cruise (an eon ago) we never went to bed on our last night, but stayed up to watch the entire homecoming

Top deck outside is the way to go. You will be able to see how close the front mast is to the VZ Bridge roadway supports.

We've sailed out of New York before and done the sailaway out on deck. I agree that it's the better way to go to get the full effect going under the bridge. But I want to choose the "better balcony view" in case we do choose to watch the departure from our stateroom. :)

We've sailed out of New York before and done the sailaway out on deck. I agree that it's the better way to go to get the full effect going under the bridge. But I want to choose the "better balcony view" in case we do choose to watch the departure from our stateroom. :)
Good for you! :)

We have sailed out of Brooklyn, even with Caribe balconies...we never stayed in a cabin for sailaway...so perhaps best to figure out the other ports you stop at?

and figure out the best overall for your cruise?

Bernadette

Archived