Do you use the hand-sanitiser?

I started my career as a Medical Laboratory Technician working in a microbiology laboratory in a hospital and have seen many results of poor hygiene (in addition to many other sources of infections). Did you know that a study done last year showed that 33% of Americans bypass the sink and do not wash their hands after using the bathroom (ugh). A study done last month shows that only 5% of Americans wash their hands sufficiently to remove bacteria (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2013/06/22/hand-wash/2438613/)....

Mike

Gross. They should put a mechanism on the bathroom door which prevents it from opening until the person has run their hands under the faucet. Lab rats can figure out how to bump a lever to get food... so people should be able to figure out how to get out of a bathroom by washing their hands.

I refuse to use the alcohol sanitizer because it causes my hands to crack and bleed.

Washing my hands before eating protects other people in the Windjammer from getting MY germs, but it doesn't protect ME from picking up germs off the serving utensils. I guess the only thing you could do to protect yourself is to get all your food, sit at a table, then leave to wash your hands in the nearest bathroom before coming back to touch your food.

Actually, a better idea would be to put a wash station at the entrance of the Windjammer. The wash station would activate a turn-stile to get in... so if the person doesn't wash, they can't get through the turnstile.

I am one who may not. Often I have JUST walked from the restroom where I thoroughly washed my hands, then opened the door with a paper towel, and walked without touching anything to the Windjammer.

I dislike that stuff a lot. Soap and water are a much better preventative for passing germs.

:)

This.

I'll use it once in a while--mostly to stop the "dirty looks" but I feel it does me (who washes very thoroughly and often) no good at al and I believe that overuse of sanitizers weakens the immune system and encourages the growth of superbugs.

Actually, a better idea would be to put a wash station at the entrance of the Windjammer. The wash station would activate a turn-stile to get in... so if the person doesn't wash, they can't get through the turnstile.

I understand that the new NCL Breakaway has wash stations at the entrance to their dining areas.

I guess the only thing you could do to protect yourself is to get all your food, sit at a table, then leave to wash your hands in the nearest bathroom before coming back to touch your food.

Who's protecting/watching your food, especially if you're alone, from the passing sneezer/cougher, etc.?

This has all become more than I want to think about. :eek::(

I did read through all posts quickly but couldn't see anyone mention the active ingredient/s required to kill noro.

So sorry if it's already been said.

I am of the understanding that Benzalkonium Chloride will kill noro.

Also that you need to look for a product that says it kills 99.99% of germs not 99.9%, apparently there is a significant difference.

I use an Australian non alcohol based hand foam that contains this product that is very gentle on your skin plus stays active for up to 4 hours.

You may have something similar in the US, if not I don't know if they ship overseas but you could ask - hand first website.

Wet ones wipes also contain this ingredient.

We only use it on holidays & never at home, even though we live on a farm with lots of animal droppings etc around, we don't get sick often, but when exposed to bugs you are not used to anyone can get sick.

My husband had the worst case of noro type illness in Morocco, not a pretty site - we now take precautions.;)

Hope that helpful.

I am one who may not. Often I have JUST walked from the restroom where I thoroughly washed my hands, then opened the door with a paper towel, and walked without touching anything to the Windjammer.

I dislike that stuff a lot. Soap and water are a much better preventative for passing germs.

:)

Exactly this!

I wish they would have those lights where you stick you hands under and you can see the germs! LOL!

We often go back to our cabin before meals wash thoroughly with soap and water, then go to dine with out touching a button or handrail or door- so why should I need to " sanitize" again? Also, I think sanitizing gives a false sense of security. We know the sanitizer does not kill the Noro virus, and yet some people may keep putting that stuff on all day and never actually use the soap and water that we know works to eliminate Noro.

Additionally, to be effective, sanitizer needs to be used liberally (that little squirt is not enough) your hands must be entirely "wet" with it and it is the air drying of the sanitizer that dries up the bugs with it. So still wet hands are risky and any place the sanitizer did not thoroughly wet is risky.

I think it's a placebo, makes people feel better, and it's better than nothing for people who can go through the day never washing, but as a person who washes everytime I walk in my home and before every meal or other activity that could infect (touching eyes, helping children etc) I find the whole "sanitizer" thing on the ship as a way to cut down on noro laughable! Have you seen how many people put their sea pass in their mouth to hand sanitize their empty hands, then pull it out and hold it again in their hands after sanitizing? ;)

I did read through all posts quickly but couldn't see anyone mention the active ingredient/s required to kill noro.

Immunity to a particular strain of Norovirus lasts about 6 months, and declines after that, with little immunity after 2 years.

So the best way to kill noro is to let your body do it....stop sterilizing your environment, so that when you come in contact with it on a ship or elsewhere, your body will recognize it and take care of it for you. Noro is very common in the environment, so it's not difficult to build up an immunity.

Ensuring that you don't get sick on a cruise is a process that should start 6 months to 2 years before the cruise. If you merely depend on chemicals without the backup of a strong immune system, you're setting yourself up for an unpleasant cruise and a ruined vacation.

I didn't read the responses, but we just came back from Freedom 1st week of June and EVERYONE used the hand sanitizer going into WJ. I went to the restroom and washed my hands w soap and water before entering every time, so I did get some nasty looks from people when I didn't use the hand sanitizer, I felt like making a sign to wear around my neck that said I had clean hands because I got so many awful looks. People were very cautious on our cruise about using the sanitizer.

As they say on NCL, washy washy, happy happy - although extreme disappointment on the new Breakaway - nobody on the gangplank insisting, nobody at the entrance to the buffet and unless someone said at the restaurant entrances, only a few did.

We did

I have to carry handcream to counteract the dryness

As they say on NCL, washy washy, happy happy - although extreme disappointment on the new Breakaway - nobody on the gangplank insisting, nobody at the entrance to the buffet and unless someone said at the restaurant entrances, only a few did.

We did

I have to carry handcream to counteract the dryness

And I will say again, I don't need them forcing me to do anything. And what about the people that are allergic to the chemicals in sanitizer? Should they use it anyway to make you feel better?

Some people act like they are going to die if they come into contact with any germs. I would say based on a few of the posts here some may need to speak with someone because they clearly have a phobia.

Imagine all the things you touch just while on a cruise. The elevator buttons, the chair you pull out to sit down on, the chairs in the theater that I am sure are almost never cleaned, the lounge chairs on the pools deck. These things all probably have germs on them. You can't disinfect the world and you can't live in a bubble. Germs help to build your immune system and those that obsessively use sanitizer probably are ruining theirs because they kill the good bacteria too. 20 years ago people did manage to survive without using sanitizer 50 times a day and today's population will too.

Here's my random info for the day for the paranoid people. You should avoid all women with long fingernails. It has been proven that women with long nails have dirtier hands than men because it is hard to clean under the nail, even if they are hand washers.

Here's my random info for the day for the paranoid people. You should avoid all women with long fingernails. It has been proven that women with long nails have dirtier hands than men because it is hard to clean under the nail, even if they are hand washers.

This is true and the reason we are not allowed to have long fingernails, false fingernails or chipped nail polish at the hospital I work in. We are also not allowed to wear any rings, including wedding, when working. No jewelry of any kind, including watches, that is worn on the wrist.

Sherri:)

I try to be meticulous about handwashing and opening doors without direct contact with the handles etc. But I accept the hand sanitizier on the grounds it doesn't hurt [i have never had a reaction to it -- if I had my willingness to submit would likely be different].

One cruise line we were on had CMs there personally handing sanitary wipes to everyone before you entered into any dining room or even their island buffet. I was impressed with their efforts to keep the yucky away.

That is it! Geez! Forget Norovirus and if sanitizer kills it or not. I said in an earlier post I this thread, sanitizer "helps" in the prevention of some germs and I applaud them for being proactive in this. They don't who are who didn't wash their hands with soap and water before coming to dine. They are not going to ask each of some two thousand plus people did you was your hand after you came from the toilet or smoking that cigerette. It appears to me that some people are just resistant to anything that they want you to do even if can help in the prevention of passing germs. I just do it and move on!

Iw ash my hands in my room before I go, and bring my own, from bath and body works attached to me.

Aren't those little holders for the hand sanitizers just adorable? :p I had to ask one of the salespeople what they were, when I saw them on the shelf at B&BW. Just love all their travel-sized products! :cool:

A hand-wash station with real soap & real water is not any more complex to set up. They are portable, and there's a spout for soap, and the water runs when you pump a foot pedal. More beneficial than alcohol, but not any larger than an alcohol station.

This is the answer.

A hand-wash station with real soap & real water is not any more complex to set up. They are portable, and there's a spout for soap, and the water runs when you pump a foot pedal. More beneficial than alcohol, but not any larger than an alcohol station.

This is the answer.

And how long will the line be while every person stands there singing happy birthday twice.

The answer may be that RC adopt using the non-alcohol based disinfectant Hands First that contains Benzalkonium Chloride as someone else suggested. We used it as a hand pump pack on our last cruise.

This is the answer.

I haven't seen these, where does the used water go? This would require a source of water and a sanitary drain. Soap and water does not kill bacteria and viruses. Soap, even the "anti-bacterial" kind, is only a lubricant that reduces the surface tension between the outer layer of dead skin cells and the next layer. Freeing up this layer of skin cells allows the water to wash them as well as the attached germs away. For this reason, CDC/USPH does not allow any recirculation of water, especially in a hand washing station.

And I agree with Mr. Walker, as most people think that washing their hands a quickly as they apply sanitizer is sufficient. 20 seconds of vigorous scrubbing is required. And then, you need a waste basket and towel dispenser for the paper towels required to dry your hands.

Believe me, if a portable hand wash station was feasible, the CDC/USPH would have approved one, and required one.

Archived