carrying wine onboard

D&beach&J

Definitely ask someone from Carnival first, especially if you are going out of Miami. On our last cruise we were pulled aside at security and our two bottles heavily scrutinized. It might have been a new security person unfamiliar with Carnival policies or they were being extra observant. Either way we eventually did get out of the security area with both our bottles of wine.

Out of Miami last year a woman in front of us had her wine confiscated because she had 4 small bottles that was equivalent to a 750ml...not the one bottle that is allowed.

The worker told her it states in Carnival rules....each person is allowed one 750ml bottle.

How they follow the rules at each embarkation port varies. Fire's advice is sound (as usual), that being said, they way they vary on interpretation, I would bring two (and I always do) 750ml bottles.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We had one 1.5 lt bottle of wine and Miami port security took the bottle and returned it on the last night of the cruise.:mad:

Understand the frustration, but rules are rules. You could have taken the same amount in two bottles and enjoyed.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Follow up question-are you allowed to bring wine onboard at the port? Can you buy a bottle at a port --say Nassau, Bahamas--and bring it onboard?

Probably not, but you can try. If they take it away you will get it back at the end of the cruise. You ARE allowed to buy non-alc drinks at ports and carry them on. 12/pp up to 20 oz. Funny thing is, we bought 2 six packs of Coke in Nassau last winter. Bag went thru x-ray machine and they didn't even ask us to open it for inspection. Sure wish I had bought BEER instead of SODA! :mad::cool:

In NOLA in January, one 1.5L bottle went through fine, no questions. Saw post about Miami where we will be in September. Wrote to Carnival and got the official reply: One 750ml per person over 21. Nothing about any variance between ports. Of course, I had to "ask" them to take a look at the policy but got no reply! :D

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from a Carnival cruise out of Boston. I carried a large bottle of wine, in a brown bag. I put that in a tote bag and put it through the scanner at the cruise terminal. Got through without a problem. Another member of my party did the same thing with two large bottles of wine.

Follow up question-are you allowed to bring wine onboard at the port? Can you buy a bottle at a port --say Nassau, Bahamas--and bring it onboard?

On Carnival, you can bring the wine when you embark. You cannot carry it on from any other port other than the one where you begin your journey.

In NOLA in January, one 1.5L bottle went through fine, no questions. Saw post about Miami where we will be in September. Wrote to Carnival and got the official reply: One 750ml per person over 21. Nothing about any variance between ports. Of course, I had to "ask" them to take a look at the policy but got no reply! :D

You do take the risk of having them take it from you, but they will give it back at the end of the cruise. I like small risks :)

Definitely no. Any alcohol broughty onto the ship from one of the ports (not at embarkation) is bagged and tagged with your information and then returned to you the last night of the cruise.

BTW -- I have read several posts where poster says they packed a 3.0 L box of wine in their checked bag and it came through unscathed.......

If I take on board duty free that I have purchased on another Carnival cruise will it be confiscated? I'd happily declare it as we're planning on purchasing the Cheers programme so have no need for it during the cruise.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forums mobile app

Archived