Is Passport Enough

RSLeesburg

I have seen lots of passport threads, but none addressing this topic (or if they did I missed it :rolleyes:)

My son's passport arrived this week - he is 3.5. Is this all I need to bring to get him on ship, or do they need to also see his BC?

Also, just out of curiosity, how long does it take for Passport Agency to return the BC we submitted with his application - it was last official copy we had on hand, so depending on response above, I may need to request addition copies from the state :). I should probably do this anyway, as it would be good to have a few on hand...

Passport is all you will need. It establishes identity and citizenship. Even though a 3 yr old doesn't require an identity document (like a drivers license if you are using a birth certificate), a passport is the ultimate document.

Assuming you are traveling with both DS's mom and dad, Passport trumps all. That is all you need for your DS.

Yes. Mom, dad, and son are traveling together :). My son and I discussed leaving mommy at home, so we could have more fun but she threatened to change the locks - and, we kind of like living in our house, so decided to bring her along :D

You did right. Passport it is.

Keith

I know there are huge debates about getting one or not, but the look on his face when I gave him his first passport was worth every penny. He was SO excited to see his picture in the pass book. Of course, I am sure he has no clue what it is, but he will love handing it to security at the port terminal. He will feel all grown up.

Yes. Mom, dad, and son are traveling together :). My son and I discussed leaving mommy at home, so we could have more fun but she threatened to change the locks - and, we kind of like living in our house, so decided to bring her along :D

Chose wisely :)

I know there are huge debates about getting one or not, but the look on his face when I gave him his first passport was worth every penny. He was SO excited to see his picture in the pass book. Of course, I am sure he has no clue what it is, but he will love handing it to security at the port terminal. He will feel all grown up.

You did great. We got our children passports at very young ages. I really appreciate what you said.

And you can keep it for him and give it to him when he is older. What a treasure.

Keith

Our son had his first passport when 2 months old:D

He is now 29 and on his 5th:)

BTW, a birth certificate is not returned.

Really? The post office told us that his BC that we submitted with the application would be returned, and the little note with his passport said that any submitted documentation would be returned in a separate letter. Although, this is not the first government agency to keep his BC - I guess I had better start ordering a few more copies...

At least here in CA birth certificates are returned. Well mine was anyway, under separate cover.

Order a few birth certificates now to know you have them for whatever comes up. It is so much easier to go to your 'safe place' wherever you store documents and put on hand on what you want without having to hassle at a later date when time may matter. Do it while you think of it.

IMO

Really? The post office told us that his BC that we submitted with the application would be returned, and the little note with his passport said that any submitted documentation would be returned in a separate letter. Although, this is not the first government agency to keep his BC - I guess I had better start ordering a few more copies...

It is so many years since we got our first passport, I don't recall if we got our b/c back but I lean toward thinking they were returned under separate mailing than our passports were sent. Everytime we have renewed our passports, we have gotten the old, cancelled one back, again in a separate mailing. Wait about a week or so to see if you get the b/c back.

My DH got his first passport a couple months ago, his birth certificate was mailed back to us about a week later separately.

Not sure why but they just don't send the passports and BC's in the same envelope. But the passports will be returned.

Probably security - one envelope may get lost/stolen, but both are unlikely. If you've gotten the passport, you know to look out for the birth certificate (tit is returned). If you get the birth certificate but not the passport, you know something is amiss. In either case, you can contact the proper authorities for advice - missing either the passport or the b.c. is an invitation to identity theft.

If they were in one envelope, it takes such a variable amount of time for the passport to process, people may not realize they haven't gotten the passport until it's too late.

I have seen lots of passport threads, but none addressing this topic (or if they did I missed it :rolleyes:)

My son's passport arrived this week - he is 3.5. Is this all I need to bring to get him on ship, or do they need to also see his BC?

Also, just out of curiosity, how long does it take for Passport Agency to return the BC we submitted with his application - it was last official copy we had on hand, so depending on response above, I may need to request addition copies from the state :). I should probably do this anyway, as it would be good to have a few on hand...

All you will need for your son is his passport ... no BC.

When we renewed our passports, they came but our old passport books came several days later. Feel sure your son's BC will be returned in a few days.

LuLu

~~~~

Probably security - one envelope may get lost/stolen, but both are unlikely. If you've gotten the passport, you know to look out for the birth certificate (tit is returned). If you get the birth certificate but not the passport, you know something is amiss. In either case, you can contact the proper authorities for advice - missing either the passport or the b.c. is an invitation to identity theft.

If they were in one envelope, it takes such a variable amount of time for the passport to process, people may not realize they haven't gotten the passport until it's too late.

That's as I understand the rational behind that.

That is wonderful that you got your son his passport.

You should get the BC back in a separate mailing in a couple of weeks.

I recently had to renew my passport and it was about 3 weeks before my old was returned to me.

Archived