NY Accent

evandbob

I'm born, raised and reside on the beautiful Left Coast of the USA, where we have no accent whatsoever! (:D).

But I work with a Brit who every time he says something, I have to ask him no less than THREE times to repeat what he just said. After the third time and I still can't make out what he said, I ask him to repeat again, only this time in English!

No waaaay dooood.

As a native Bronxite who lived his teen years in New Jersey and came away without a NY/NJ accent (mostly because those accents don't exist except in very limited areas), I could not care less what anyone sounds like. But should you arrive at our table wearing a hat or with bad table manners, you will not see me at dinner the next night. :)

And to add to that, things have a different meaning for the same words. For example, you routinely ask someone while traveling in England to "knock you up" in. In the US, those words have an entirely different meaning.

Back to NJ, people from other states look funny when you ask another Jerseyite "what exit are you from."

Ok, this thread is hitting home. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO MAKE DECENT PIZZA? It is one of the most simple foods, but for some reason Texas just cannot figure it out. I've heard it is "the water" but the crust isn't the only problem. The sauce isn't good either.

I still cringe when I remember a pizza ordered in North Carolina once. It came with something that tasted like ketchup and shredded cheddar cheese....Things have improved but I rarely order Pizza outside the tri-state area. I was surprised that the pizza on the Summit was pretty good for a non-hand tossed crust.

I have lived in both New York and North Carolina. When in NY one of the women I worked with told the story of traveling through NC and they stopped at a bakery and asked if they sold "hard rolls". The clerk looked at her confused and said, "do you mean day old bread?"

Once in a department store in Krakow Poland, I used my best learned at my grandmother's (Babcia) knee Polish to answer a woman's question.

She looked at me quizzically and asked ( in REAL Polish): Where are you from? Czechoslovakia?

I'm from the Philly area, but without a Fluffydelphia accent. Once in Detroit, a salesperson looked at me and said, " You're not from around here. Are you from Ohio?"

So I must have a Czech/Ohio accent.

<please pass the pork roll on a hard roll>

I recently perused a thread concerning X passenger's reactions and attitudes towards obese passengers. In a similar vein, I'd like to ask the following: Is there any bias among veteran X devotees concerning the spoken word?

This will be my 1st X cruise, and I'll admit it: I tawk lik a Noo Yawker. I ain't from Lawn Guyland, nor do I hail from Joisey. I grew up in da Broncks. Wherever I go in this world, once I say a few words, locals ask me if I'm a Noo Yawker. Will I be accepted or shunned at the MDR dinner table? I understand that my #7 Mickey Mantle shirt and cap are not suitable MDR attire. If I wear my tux and explain that I attended Cooper Union, will that help?

Awfugettabotit! I may just call Uncle Don to send some lasagna lovers to my table if there's any trouble. He's sailing in the sweet suite.

166046_10151653005065729_1762764685_n_zps60e4d3c4.jpg

I still cringe when I remember a pizza ordered in North Carolina once. It came with something that tasted like ketchup and shredded cheddar cheese....Things have improved but I rarely order Pizza outside the tri-state area. I was surprised that the pizza on the Summit was pretty good for a non-hand tossed crust.

Pizza I ordered in London consisted of dough, sliced tomatoes and cheese, not real good.

Jersey Girls don't pump gas!

I've lived in Florida for 16 years and still haven't pumped gas. My husband tried to teach me, but I just couldn't get it.;)

My local Publix sells Taylor Port Roll.:D

Why is that? FYI, there is actually a website that you can order pork roll and have delivered...

http://jerseyporkroll.com/

When we first moved to Texas we could not find it anywhere. I guess enough people from NJ moved down here because now you can find it in most grocery stores. Health food it is not but sometimes you just gotta have it.

I have no idea why it hasn't caught on for the rest of the country but so many folks mention how it's not available in stores in other places. Here, we can go out to the diner (the 24 hours a day kind that don't exist anywhere else lol) and have a pork roll whenever we want lol

Man, this thread is making me thankful that I was born and raised in NJ. Reading about all the foods that we have here on a regular basis that others can't get around the country lol. Who knew NJ was so privileged? :-)

My fiance will eventually want me to move to Florida. I have to admit, the thought of being so close to a few cruise ports IS enticing, however, if I'd be losing my pizza...I don't know! lol

Ah, the smell of Midway Steak House down the shore (seaside). Oh that's the other way you know you're from jersey, you say "down the shore" not "to the shore" lol. And it doesn't matter if you are going down, up, or east, it's always "down" lol.

Gotta love NJ. I am born/bred here too. 39 years and counting lol. Paying the high property taxes to prove it LOL

People from Balmore (Baltimore) go down the shore too...but go a bit south of that and we don't go to the shore at all. We visit the beach. To us the Eastern Shore is the other side of the Chesapeake Bay. The ocean is at the coast. Yes, everyone has an accent and we all have funny ways of saying certain things. Well except for my 8th grade English teacher who claimed she taught herself to speak perfect English without any accent. She was wrong.

This question strikes me funny! I have been wondering whether I would enjoy a cruise out of NY (to Bermuda, for example), because I am concerned about rubbing elbows with a bunch of impatient, self-centered, brusque, pushy, urban Northerners with harsh, unintelligible accents! I was one of these, but I didn't know it :D until I moved here to the South.

I will confess that now I get impatient with overly polite and overly considerate "sweet tea" Southern ladies and gentlemen, whose drawl is both annoying and pretty much equally unintelligible!

I don't really fit in here completely, and I fear I won't fit in anymore in Yankeeland, either! (I'm Connecticut born, but bred and raised by parents from Brooklyn!)

Too bad there are no cruises out of the Midwest! :rolleyes:

A funny side story -- I was at the reception desk signing up for a doctor appointment recently, and in chatting with the receptionist, I noticed her pretty strong New York accent. So I asked her about it. She said she was from the Bronx, but she had been in the South for 20 years, and had heard many comments about her Northern accent. She commented that when she goes home to N.Y. for a visit, everyone remarks on her Southern accent!! :)

This sounds so familiar to me. Born & raised in Brooklyn but have live in Tennessee since college. When I'm in the North, everyone says I have this Southern accent and of course, I still get "you're not from around here" in Knoxville. You just can't win!

Cruising is our favorite vacation as we can meet people from everywhere.

I recently perused a thread concerning X passenger's reactions and attitudes towards obese passengers. In a similar vein, I'd like to ask the following: Is there any bias among veteran X devotees concerning the spoken word?

This will be my 1st X cruise, and I'll admit it: I tawk lik a Noo Yawker. I ain't from Lawn Guyland, nor do I hail from Joisey. I grew up in da Broncks. Wherever I go in this world, once I say a few words, locals ask me if I'm a Noo Yawker. Will I be accepted or shunned at the MDR dinner table? I understand that my #7 Mickey Mantle shirt and cap are not suitable MDR attire. If I wear my tux and explain that I attended Cooper Union, will that help?

Awfugettabotit! I may just call Uncle Don to send some lasagna lovers to my table if there's any trouble. He's sailing in the sweet suite.

As a Brooklyn born guirl who was stolen at age of 2 by middle class couple and raised in da Broncs my answer is nah.

Its our 3rd X cruise and never felt anything but pampered especially in Blu.

On another note where in Bx & where in Westchester?

Carole

This sounds so familiar to me. Born & raised in Brooklyn but have live in Tennessee since college. When I'm in the North, everyone says I have this Southern accent and of course, I still get "you're not from around here" in Knoxville. You just can't win!

Cruising is our favorite vacation as we can meet people from everywhere.

Rose Linda-is that you?

Have ahappy 4th

Carole & Alan

Solstice= Barcelona 2011

Hello Carole! It is me.

How are you and Alan? Where have you been traveling-back to France? We had such a good time with you. Our big trip this year was to China on the Millenium- really fabulous.

Good to hear from you!

Sorry- I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Rose-Linda

I'm born, raised and reside on the beautiful Left Coast of the USA, where we have no accent whatsoever! (:D).

But I work with a Brit who every time he says something, I have to ask him no less than THREE times to repeat what he just said. After the third time and I still can't make out what he said, I ask him to repeat again, only this time in English!

Two nations separated by a common language!

Hello Carole! It is me.

How are you and Alan? Where have you been traveling-back to France? We had such a good time with you. Our big trip this year was to China on the Millenium- really fabulous.

Good to hear from you!

Sorry- I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Rose-Linda

Closest to France was Quebec-Alan just became a Great Uncle-1st gdchildfor my sister-in-law.

China must have been amazing-its on our bucket list. We are doing the Baltics on Eclipse next 6-21-14.Would be great if you & Cec would/could join us.

Go Erasmus!!!

Carole & alan

I am fromMontreal and I was asked if i was from New york ..i replied Montreal close enough ...someone said i ad the attitude and quick response ....i will take it as a compliment !!!

Stat nylin checking in! Ya know, the suthunmost part of noo yawk. No accent here, whaddya tawkin bout? I too love chatting with people from everywhere! It's one of the things that makes travel great. And this Staten Islander can't wait to do so again soon!

As a Brooklyn born guirl who was stolen at age of 2 by middle class couple and raised in da Broncs my answer is nah.

Its our 3rd X cruise and never felt anything but pampered especially in Blu.

On another note where in Bx & where in Westchester?

Carole

Zerega Ave in da Bx (left in 1970) and Briarcliff Manor in West (since 1999). You?

Zerega Ave in da Bx (left in 1970) and Briarcliff Manor in West (since 1999). You?

Me: Brooklyn, then Clay & 176th (or as we say 3 blocks E of the Concourse, then Scott Towers (Paul Ave-across from Science),then Riverdale-usual progression, then Hartsdale.

KNow Briarcliff Manor well- happy memories of Girl Scout Camp there.

So now let's play what HS & college

Carole

Archived