NY Accent

evandbob

Me: Brooklyn, then Clay & 176th (or as we say 3 blocks E of the Concourse, then Scott Towers (Paul Ave-across from Science),then Riverdale-usual progression, then Hartsdale.

KNow Briarcliff Manor well- happy memories of Girl Scout Camp there.

So now let's play what HS & college

Carole

Carol:

Spellman then onto Cooper Union, but prob learned more in the Life School of Hard Knocks. Play on, your turn.....

Carol:

Spellman then onto Cooper Union, but prob learned more in the Life School of Hard Knocks. Play on, your turn.....

Taft, then Hunter (Lehman) then CNR then Columbia. I also "went" to Spellman when Hunter rented it for evening classes-loved the paste on "Ladies Room " signs & the look of concern from the Brothers & Fathers.

Then also SOHK

Carole

Sabretts natural casing hot dogs. Had one years ago and have never found better.

We used to live in Wisconsin, and people always compare us to the woman cop in the movie Fargo. Aina hey? Trow me down the stairs my hat, wontcha? Eh, dat brat needs da beer, ya?

But at least here in Western Pa. we've got the chipped chopped ham with BBQ sauce.

Sabretts natural casing hot dogs. Had one years ago and have never found better.

We used to live in Wisconsin, and people always compare us to the woman cop in the movie Fargo. Aina hey? Trow me down the stairs my hat, wontcha? Eh, dat brat needs da beer, ya?

But at least here in Western Pa. we've got the chipped chopped ham with BBQ sauce.

Ok all in favor of forming our own cruise say aye,eh year etc

Carole

I am English and I have to admit that I can't tell which area anyone from either the USA or Canada is from, as you all sound, well, American to me. just like in the films! Lovely!

Neither can the majority from this country. Without exception, at least once on every cruise the conversation goes like this:

"You must be from New York."

"No... Rhode Island."

"Long Island?"

"No...RHODE ISLAND."

"Rhode Island? That's in New York?"

"For the love of God..."

Took me a while to figure out where Lawn Guyland was, but I eventually got it! Too funny. If you bring the lasagna, you can sit at out table.

Oooops. You do mean lasagnE, don't you?:p When we go out to eat, I kid my wife that if the restaurant can't spell lasagne, they probably can't make it, either. She rolls her eyes, shakes her head, and mutters something about goofy husbands.;)

In parts of Jersey we would call them dirty water dogs when they were in the push carts. Nothing like the Sabretts with the red onions, thankfully now you can buy the red onions in a jar, I buy them everytime I go to Jersey.

I recently perused a thread concerning X passenger's reactions and attitudes towards obese passengers. In a similar vein, I'd like to ask the following: Is there any bias among veteran X devotees concerning the spoken word?

This will be my 1st X cruise, and I'll admit it: I tawk lik a Noo Yawker. I ain't from Lawn Guyland, nor do I hail from Joisey. I grew up in da Broncks. Wherever I go in this world, once I say a few words, locals ask me if I'm a Noo Yawker. Will I be accepted or shunned at the MDR dinner table? I understand that my #7 Mickey Mantle shirt and cap are not suitable MDR attire. If I wear my tux and explain that I attended Cooper Union, will that help?

Awfugettabotit! I may just call Uncle Don to send some lasagna lovers to my table if there's any trouble. He's sailing in the sweet suite.

I'm just trying to figure out in my head which accent is worse. Your Bronks accent or my Lawn Guyland accent.

Finally worked out you mean Long island!! We have loved being on cruises or travelling and chatting to Americans and finding out what part of the country they are from. Sometimes I get lost in listening to the accent and lose track of what people are saying!

I was born and raised in Queens. As an adult I lived up and down the east coast and even overseas. Fifty percent of the time, people ask if I'm from Boston.

One time in a Northern Virginia court I was testifying for prosecution and the ADA kept making fun of my accent - grrrrrrrrrrrrr. You can't get away from it.

I was born and raised in Queens. As an adult I lived up and down the east coast and even overseas. Fifty percent of the time, people ask if I'm from Boston.

One time in a Northern Virginia court I was testifying for prosecution and the ADA kept making fun of my accent - grrrrrrrrrrrrr. You can't get away from it.

Hi:)....I know this may sound like I don't have a sense of humor (you

cannot read tone on the internet)....it may be fun for some folks but I

think the ADA was out of line to do that to you.:(.....bad enough

when every Mary, Joe and Jane cotinually ask..."where are you from"?

But to have a DA do that to you in a court setting? In my opinion,

that was WRONG.

Hi:)....I know this may sound like I don't have a sense of humor (you

cannot read tone on the internet)....it may be fun for some folks but I

think the ADA was out of line to do that to you.:(.....bad enough

when every Mary, Joe and Jane cotinually ask..."where are you from"?

But to have a DA do that to you in a court setting? In my opinion,

that was WRONG.

Actually Lois, I believe the only one who can make fun of an accent is the person who has the accent, just like I did in my OP. Once I opened that door, then anyone can join in the fun. However, if someone calls me a Noo Yawk meatball (a very mild perjorative) without me bringing it up first, then the tone of the ensuing conversation might be a little chillier.(Now why ya do dat fer? Yawannapieceome?)

Thanks to everyone who posted. I hope this brought laughs, smiles and warm remembrances to most viewers.

Oooops. You do mean lasagnE, don't you?:p When we go out to eat, I kid my wife that if the restaurant can't spell lasagne, they probably can't make it, either. She rolls her eyes, shakes her head, and mutters something about goofy husbands.;)

Hey, I'm a Polish girl from Minnesota. What do I know about Italian stuff? Now kraut I do know.

Ain't it the truth??!! Let's face it, you pretty much can't get real pizza in anyplace but the NE, although Chicago Deep Dish is good.....not pizza, but good!:D

The same with bagels. My sister, rest her soul, moved to NH, & could not get real bagels there. A guy opened a NY style bagel shop & promptly went out of business because they were used to thick bread shaped like a bagel. Can you say Lenders?

Haha. I'm a bagel snob myself. Just because it's round and has a hole in it doesn't make it a bagel! BTW, Lenders is in a class all it's own.

This is a cool thread...i'm fascinated by accents.

Actually Lois, I believe the only one who can make fun of an accent is the person who has the accent, just like I did in my OP. Once I opened that door, then anyone can join in the fun. However, if someone calls me a Noo Yawk meatball (a very mild perjorative) without me bringing it up first, then the tone of the ensuing conversation might be a little chillier.(Now why ya do dat fer? Yawannapieceome?)

Thanks to everyone who posted. I hope this brought laughs, smiles and warm remembrances to most viewers.

Hi:)....I understand. I was just pointing out the courtroom event

and I don't think that was right.

I'm just trying to figure out in my head which accent is worse. Your Bronks accent or my Lawn Guyland accent.

As a Bronx native, I can attest to the fact that New York City produces the ugliest accents in the country. On second thought maybe the title goes to Boston. :p

I work in a place where we get visitors from all over the world on a daily basis...and whenever I hear a NY accent....or a Jersey accent.....I love it and we talk food, tomatoes, or theatre.....Born and raised in the city....lived in the south for 30 years, have lived in AK for 12....still sound like NY when I go home....:)

You had to say tomatoes!:D How I miss Jersey tomatoes here in Florida. And the corn too ... especially this time of the year.

Don't forget Jersey peaches, absolutely the best. But I'm still jubilant that I left that state 50 years ago.

Ok, this thread is hitting home. WHY IS IT SO HARD TO MAKE DECENT PIZZA? It is one of the most simple foods, but for some reason Texas just cannot figure it out. I've heard it is "the water" but the crust isn't the only problem. The sauce isn't good either.

You have to use tomato sauce not BBQ sauce...;):D

Haha. I'm a bagel snob myself. Just because it's round and has a hole in it doesn't make it a bagel! BTW, Lenders is in a class all it's own.

This is a cool thread...i'm fascinated by accents.

Bagels- let the Montreal people tell you about bagels

Carole

Can't help poking my English nose in! We love all the varied American accents and talking to you guys about where you are from.

It is just the same the world over - we are from the North western part of the UK and also have a strong local accent we are quite proud of.

Accents add vibrancy to a country. Dont try to change!!

Archived