Passing the Plush

taffy12

I have no idea how to title this post...

Some years ago, there was a small stuffed animal being passed from cruiser to cruiser. One cruiser would take it on their trip, photograph it in a few locations, then box it up with the photos and a small memento or two and mail it on to the next cruiser, who would then mail it to the next, and to the next... I hope you get the idea. I would love to organize something like that... Any tips on how to set it up? Any idea how many people might be interested in participating?

What for?

Whenever I read that somebody doesn't participate in Formal Night because the clothes take up too much room now I know why: door sign stuff, rum rummers, contraban toilet paper, etc. and now plush animals.

If it makes you and others feel good I guess it's harmless. But a porous unwashed fabric item being passed on cruise ship to cruise ship sounds like an ideal vehicle for spreading Norovirus.

It reminds me of kids and Flat Stanley. I remember a post awhile ago about cruisers who took their "plushes" to the restaurant, shows, etc. It seemed kind of weird to me, but apparently there are quite a few adults who like to travel with stuffed animals, so maybe it wouldn't be that difficult to get a group together.

I think it would be fun to do and interesting to see the places they went.

Maybe start this as a page on Facebook and the pics can be loaded on there.

Several people I know have done this mainly for their kids or teens with a school project but who says adults can't do it just to have fun!

Not your cup of tea? No big deal, have fun doing what you like then!

We had friends with us on our Egypt trip a few years ago. They brought along Flat Stanley. He was from the school or class a grand child was in. When they got home they went to the school and showed pictured of FS and talked to the kids about the trip

What is the purpose?

Yeah, I kind of thought the same thing. If someone wants to share photos and anecdotes about places they've been and things they've seen while on a cruise (or land-based vacation), why not just post it on Facebook (or some other social media web site) for all to see? If you want to include a specific inanimate object such as a stuffed toy, gnome, "flat Stanley" or whatever, so be it. When I see someone's photos or videos of their vacation, I'm interested in what they saw and did, not "Oh look! There's my sock monkey visiting the Vatican in Rome. And here he is at the pyramids in Egypt. And here he is drunk as a skunk at a pub in Ireland." If you're traveling with a group of friends that share a similar interest in doing this, that's fine. But, there may be others that would not be the least bit interested in "passing the plush", as you've stated, and the item could end up in the trash.

What might be a better idea in this day and age is perhaps a website, say Facebook or a personal blog, set up with pictures taken of your animal or figurine, and posted. It's easier, faster, more sanitary than physically mailing it to the next cruiser which takes time and money.

EDITED TO ADD: Forgive me, CC friends. Most of you have said the same thing I did and I admit I did not read all the replies before posting. Oh well! LOL

What might be a better idea in this day and age is perhaps a website, say Facebook or a personal blog, set up with pictures taken of your animal or figurine, and posted. It's easier, faster, more sanitary than physically mailing it to the next cruiser which takes time and money.

EDITED TO ADD: Forgive me, CC friends. Most of you have said the same thing I did and I admit I did not read all the replies before posting. Oh well! LOL

I knew it would happen some day. A CC poster has repeated a previous post. LOL. Don't worry about it.

I have no idea how to title this post...

Some years ago, there was a small stuffed animal being passed from cruiser to cruiser. One cruiser would take it on their trip, photograph it in a few locations, then box it up with the photos and a small memento or two and mail it on to the next cruiser, who would then mail it to the next, and to the next... I hope you get the idea. I would love to organize something like that... Any tips on how to set it up? Any idea how many people might be interested in participating?

Are you thinking about "Bennie the Traveling Bear", from the RC boards, a few years back? I think that was started by a teenaged poster, who had the great good luck to be born into a frequently cruising family. I enjoyed his pictures and posts, of Bennie's world travels. :cool:

Archived