why did I drink the kool-aid?

tamsocal

So I have been convincing myself over the last few months we would still have an amazing trip in an oceanview on our upcoming cruise. I know we would have!!! BUT i have only cruised in suites for the past*2 years:--> Thank you to last minute cruise prices and upsells!

We have cruised insides to penthouse and have had amazing trips always. Although i considered paying full price briefly. There was no way possible I*was going to*pay full fare*for cat "S"*(an additional $7000). :eek: We got an excellent price for an oceanview and i just could not justify paying full fare for a suite.

*but that darn kool-aid!!! I could not stop checking on prices, deciding if I should pay the difference, etc! Had already prepped the kids..... Remember the nice big cabin we had last cruise with 2 bedrooms? Remember the jacuzzi on the balcony? Remember the gold sinks?

Well that is not what kind of cabin we will be in this time. We are going to have a great trip but we will be in a small cabin with a window.

Until today ...... 1.5 weeks before cruise. :D

Upsell offer today!!! I could not resist!! Now we are in a Neptune Suite!!! Yippee!

It wasn't your smoking deal upsell since there was only 1 cabin available for the upsells. All but one have been sold for about the past 2 months. But I am happy!! Heck I almost gave them $7000 in May but decided to spend $3000 in shore excursions instead :) . Upsell was $1600 total. I would have considered a balcony cabin but no option for 4 people. On statemdam I guess it's OV or Neptune suite for 4 person cabins. Nothing in between.

Sounds like a pretty decent deal to go from an ocean view to a suite. Enjoy your cruise.

Yes. I am excited and thankful that I don't have to find out quite yet how badly I will suffer from suitelife withdrawal. I have postponed it for another cruise at least.

I told the kids about changing cabins and the little one asks me- does this cabin have a jacuzzi on the balcony??:D:D:eek:

EEEK! I have given my kids the Kool-Aid too!!! No..... this cabin does not have a jacuzzi-- that was the penthouse. We are not in a penthouse this time. Just a nice big room, with a balcony and we get to stop by the room where you had to be quiet when you were in there and that had milk & cookies and snacks all day long!!

When it's all said and done, you'll be glad you made the move. You only live once. We sailed in a NS and loved it.

DH complains they cost too much. If it were up to me, we'd be in a Suite every cruise.

Actually considering the same strategy. How has that worked out for you?

we haven't had SS category but are 3 of 4 for upsell thats why I didnt think it was probable this cruise since we had good fortune prior. Only the SS was cheap.

VF- > SS

SC--> Penthouse

F--> S

the other cruise we were in a SB and SA/penthouse were sold out

If I may ask, why book the SS instead of an SZ (or SY), which are alot cheaper?

DaveOKC

yes I agree , I should have said SZ since you will most likely at least get a free upgrade to SS, I just get a gaurantee of that general catagory.

yes I agree , I should have said SZ since you will most likely at least get a free upgrade to SS, I just get a gaurantee of that general catagory.

I'd have thought that you would have a better chance of an upgrade to a Neptune suite if you had paid the price for an SS. From what I am hearing, guess that is not true.

So I have been convincing myself over the last few months we would still have an amazing trip in an oceanview on our upcoming cruise. I know we would have!!! BUT i have only cruised in suites for the past*2 years:--> Thank you to last minute cruise prices and upsells!

We have cruised insides to penthouse and have had amazing trips always. Although i considered paying full price briefly. There was no way possible I*was going to*pay full fare*for cat "S"*(an additional $7000). :eek: We got an excellent price for an oceanview and i just could not justify paying full fare for a suite.

*but that darn kool-aid!!! I could not stop checking on prices, deciding if I should pay the difference, etc! Had already prepped the kids..... Remember the nice big cabin we had last cruise with 2 bedrooms? Remember the jacuzzi on the balcony? Remember the gold sinks?

Well that is not what kind of cabin we will be in this time. We are going to have a great trip but we will be in a small cabin with a window.

Until today ...... 1.5 weeks before cruise. :D

Upsell offer today!!! I could not resist!! Now we are in a Neptune Suite!!! Yippee!

It wasn't your smoking deal upsell since there was only 1 cabin available for the upsells. All but one have been sold for about the past 2 months. But I am happy!! Heck I almost gave them $7000 in May but decided to spend $3000 in shore excursions instead :) . Upsell was $1600 total. I would have considered a balcony cabin but no option for 4 people. On statemdam I guess it's OV or Neptune suite for 4 person cabins. Nothing in between.

Congrats on the upsell. Enjoy:)

I'd have thought that you would have a better chance of an upgrade to a Neptune suite if you had paid the price for an SS. From what I am hearing, guess that is not true.

I don't think it is true. One of our roll call members was in SY and got the upsell offer to S on the P'Dam:D But I still haven't figured out how the upsell fairy works

I don't think it is true. One of our roll call members was in SY and got the upsell offer to S on the P'Dam:D But I still haven't figured out how the upsell fairy works

Thanks - You just saved me about $600. :D

Agreed. I think the offer might be restricted sometimes but other times gets released to all categories and whomever replies first gets it?? Not sure though. The HAL agent said I was just lucky since there was only one. Not sure how quickly it would have sold since it was marked up quite a bit for upsell and not sure if the price would have been $199 etc had we been in a verandah already vs oceanview

I am happy that my kool aid was only of the balcony variety. Even at that I sometimes lament that I am not an inside cabin cruiser. We have friends who love inside cabins so they get these truly amazing deals, but I am just not happy without a balcony.

Other than that, we don't need much space on a ship.

I am happy that my kool aid was only of the balcony variety. Even at that I sometimes lament that I am not an inside cabin cruiser. We have friends who love inside cabins so they get these truly amazing deals, but I am just not happy without a balcony.

Other than that, we don't need much space on a ship.

LOL!

I think I can still cruise with inside or OV and enjoy, but thankfully that is not to be determined this cruise :)

Our oceanview was a pretty decent deal since we paid in full , inside final payment dates. We have done fairly well with inside guarantees getting moved to OV or balconies

Archived