Early mornings - really early mornings?

My sister is coming with me on my cruise. I get up VERY early in the mornings - 5:30 a.m. - ish. When I was going to go solo - I would have ordered room service. With her along, I don't want to disturb her.

Will there be a place for me to head out to - and grab a cup of coffee and just read on deck until a more decent hour.

My sister is coming with me on my cruise. I get up VERY early in the mornings - 5:30 a.m. - ish. When I was going to go solo - I would have ordered room service. With her along, I don't want to disturb her.

Will there be a place for me to head out to - and grab a cup of coffee and just read on deck until a more decent hour.

Probably, but it would help to know what ship you will be on so we can give some specific suggestions.

Judging from my Cruise Compass from the Enchantment this spring while it was still in Baltimore, you should first of all expect 24 hour coffee in the Lido. I usually am up at 5, and occasionally there was a sigh at the usual place directing us to another location but there was easy to find coffee somewhere without fail. (Usual location was starboard where the lido meets up with the pool deck.

Food started at 6:30 in the Solaarium and 7 in the WJ. A place "on deck" to read may be a bit problematic, as it will likely still be dark at that hour. I recommend the Solarium if your ship has one. Viking Crown Lounge would be another great place but of course it's not on deck.

AH-saw your second post after I posted and my suggestions should be good.

Roy

Judging from my Cruise Compass from the Enchantment this spring while it was still in Baltimore, you should first of all expect 24 hour coffee in the Lido. I usually am up at 5, and occasionally there was a sigh at the usual place directing us to another location but there was easy to find coffee somewhere without fail. (Usual location was starboard where the lido meets up with the pool deck.

Food started at 6:30 in the Solaarium and 7 in the WJ. A place "on deck" to read may be a bit problematic, as it will likely still be dark at that hour. I recommend the Solarium if your ship has one. Viking Crown Lounge would be another great place but of course it's not on deck.

AH-saw your second post after I posted and my suggestions should be good.

Roy

Thanks so much. It doesn't need to be on deck. I'm just looking for a place to read and get some coffee waiting for my sister to get up.

We were on Enchantment for 7 days last week. Yes, the Windjammer (lido) near the pool has a coffee/tea area and some juices at 5:30a.m. The Solarium opens at 6:30a.m. for coffee, tea, pastries, etc. You can have your coffee at a table in either area and enjoy your reading. The Solarium would be more enjoyable for reading. The Viking Crown Lounge, two decks up from the Solarium and WJ, would be a good second choice for reading. However, no refreshments up there unless you have access to the CL or DL.

Hi Roy!

Rick and Deirdra

My husband is also up and about at 5 am on most days. He heads up to the Lido for early coffee and finds many of the same folks there each day. On some cruises its' become a daily meetup and he's enjoyed the company. So depending on how sociable you feel that early in the morning, this could be an option.

Have fun!!

I have this issue with my daughter. I typically grab a cup of coffee early in the morning from the Park Café. Then find a quiet place such a Viking Crown lounge (gorgeous area with great views), or there will be many areas that are quiet that early. Just bring a book or movie on my ipad. This is the time when having a 2 way radio helps. This is the only time we use it, but do use it almost every morning. My daughter will radio me when she wakes up so that we can meet in the Windjammer or MDR for breakfast.

I got up very early on my last cruise on the Legend. After walking/jogging the track, there was coffee/tea always awaiting me in the Solarium at 5:30 or so, and on some mornings they started bringing out some cookies, danish & other items (fruit, cereal boxes, etc.) by 6 am (the time differed each day). In the alternative, on one or two days I took the snacks & coffee back to my cabin & sat on my balcony.

Although there were some people up at 5 AM, there were not many.

If you are in a GS or above, the Concierge Lounge has coffee and stuff 24 hours a day.

Caution about coffee early in the morning at CL. Most CL's that we've tried early in the a.m. are not prepared for early (5:30-7:00a.m.) coffee. The hot water may be running for tea. The coffee/cafes/lattes may not be ready. WJ or Park Café is a better choice. Or on the promenade on Voyager and + class ships.

When the CL closes the night before, the bar staff is concerned about closing the drink area. They are not responsible for the a.m. The a.m. CL attendant usually arrives around 7 a.m. to service the coffee machine and provide the breakfast goodies. By 7:15 it's ready for use.

The CL breakfast is not bad. Cheeses, meats, fruits, bread, pastries, muffins . . . enough for a decent breakfast. But don't get there until 7:15a.m., at the earliest.

Enjoy your cruise!

Rick and Deirdra

If you are in a GS or above, the Concierge Lounge has coffee and stuff 24 hours a day.

I'm sorry, I don't know what GS means. Is that a level or something that gives you access to the Concierge Lounge?

Thanks all for the great answers. At least I know I won't be the only one up that early :).

I am an early riser as well. Normally between 5 and 6 am.. Sometimes before 5, but never after 7am. At home, it's quiet time, when I can watch the news and use the laptop to post on cruise critic( check the time of this post).

On a cruise, same deal. I actually try to get up for the sunrise. Easy on the winter cruises. For my cruise next month, I figure about 6am or so.

I sneak out of bed and go up to the WJ. There is normally some pastries out and maybe cereals. They start putting out the yogurts and all the other goodies for the 7am official opening.

I like to grab a cup of coffee and a croissant and sit in the open area aft part of the deck.. Some ships have converted those areas to a Solarium or other use. Then I'm stuck at a table poolside. I look for an open window. I like to sit at a table with a tall backed chair.

By the third day, you'll start to see familiar faces and maybe make a friend.

Oops, forgot. I start at guest services and look for one of those "news" sheets they print. On some cruises I've been on, not necessarily RCCL. If they have two MDRs and only one is used for breakfast and lunch, the other one will have the night's dinner menu posted by 7am.. Great way to choose MDR or specialty restaurant.

I am an early riser as well. Normally between 5 and 6 am.. Sometimes before 5, but never after 7am. At home, it's quiet time, when I can watch the news and use the laptop to post on cruise critic( check the time of this post).

On a cruise, same deal. I actually try to get up for the sunrise. Easy on the winter cruises. For my cruise next month, I figure about 6am or so.

I sneak out of bed and go up to the WJ. There is normally some pastries out and maybe cereals. They start putting out the yogurts and all the other goodies for the 7am official opening.

I like to grab a cup of coffee and a croissant and sit in the open area aft part of the deck.. Some ships have converted those areas to a Solarium or other use. Then I'm stuck at a table poolside. I look for an open window. I like to sit at a table with a tall backed chair.

By the third day, you'll start to see familiar faces and maybe make a friend.

Oops, forgot. I start at guest services and look for one of those "news" sheets they print. On some cruises I've been on, not necessarily RCCL. If they have two MDRs and only one is used for breakfast and lunch, the other one will have the night's dinner menu posted by 7am.. Great way to choose MDR or specialty restaurant.

Those news sheets were nice, but unfortunately Royal discontinued them a few years ago.

Those news sheets were nice, but unfortunately Royal discontinued them a few years ago.

Bummer. Those news sheets were part of my early morning routine. We always had a hump on deck 7, and it was super easy for me to grab one from the library.

We're also early risers. Even when we're up later, I can never really sleep in when we cruise.

For years when we did inside cabins I would wake early, go to the Windjammer, grab some coffee and sit an outside table or pool deck chair and contemplate the beauty of the ocean. The ship is quiet save a few early risers walking or jogging or doing what I was doing. The ocean tends to be more calm. A beautiful time of day to really appreciate the beauty and peacefulness of the ship and the ocean.

Still do this sometimes even if I have a balcony.

For years when we did inside cabins I would wake early, go to the Windjammer, grab some coffee and sit an outside table or pool deck chair and contemplate the beauty of the ocean. The ship is quiet save a few early risers walking or jogging or doing what I was doing. The ocean tends to be more calm. A beautiful time of day to really appreciate the beauty and peacefulness of the ship and the ocean.

Still do this sometimes even if I have a balcony.

Ah I love this - it makes me want to be on a ship NOW! :D

From what I remember, the buffet is closed until about 6 or 6:30 am. Am I wrong? Where can you get hot water that early in the morning (bringing my own tea bags or instant coffee)? :confused:

Arleen

Depends on the ship. Some ships open a portion of the buffet a bit earlier just for coffee and tea.

If you're on a Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis class ship, then you can get coffee and hot tea virtually 24 hours at Cafe Promenade.

Archived