Anyone recently cruised with just a green card?

iloveGESUS

Hi cruisers!

We have a huge group going on the Breeze in 1/4/2014. One of the group members is not a citizen and only has a valid green card. He came here as a refugee and does not have a passport from his birth country (Thailand). I have contacted the Thai embassy but they won't issue him with a passport because he's considered "stateless." I have done hundreds of searches on the internet regarding this issue and have read so many different scenarios, advices, etc from people saying he should get a passport (I'm not sure how though) and those who said they've sailed with just a green card with no problems. I even confirmed with three Carnival PVPs that he will be okay to travel with only his green card and driver's license. Has anyone recently sailed with just a green card? Did you have any issues with boarding? Thanks in advance for your replies.

-Julie

I can't answer your question.

What I can say is that for something like this, I would never take the advise of a bunch of knuckleheads on a cruise board. We have no dog in this fight and should this person get detained, we will not be coming to the rescue.

Seek legal advise for the correct answer to this question. Should be able to get the correct answer for less than a couple hundred bucks if that.

Green card AND a legal and valid passport,,, no issue. Green card, without a valid passport,,,,, Unknown

Edited by klfrodo

Hi cruisers!

We have a huge group going on the Breeze in 1/4/2014. One of the group members is not a citizen and only has a valid green card. He came here as a refugee and does not have a passport from his birth country (Thailand). I have contacted the Thai embassy but they won't issue him with a passport because he's considered "stateless." I have done hundreds of searches on the internet regarding this issue and have read so many different scenarios, advices, etc from people saying he should get a passport (I'm not sure how though) and those who said they've sailed with just a green card with no problems. I even confirmed with three Carnival PVPs that he will be okay to travel with only his green card and driver's license. Has anyone recently sailed with just a green card? Did you have any issues with boarding? Thanks in advance for your replies.

-Julie

Here is what www.getyouhome.gov says:

U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents: Document requirements for Lawful Permanent Residents will not change under WHTI. U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents can continue to use their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.

I can't answer your question.

What I can say is that for something like this, I would never take the advise of a bunch of knuckleheads on a cruise board. We have no dog in this fight and should this person get detained, we will not be coming to the rescue.

Seek legal advise for the correct answer to this question. Should be able to get the correct answer for less than a couple hundred bucks if that.

Green card AND a legal and valid passport,,, no issue. Green card, without a valid passport,,,,, Unknown

I totally agree. And when you're checking in, what several PVPs told you does not carry any weight.

From the US Customs and Border Patrol website

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1191/kw/green%20card/sno/1

Lawful Permanent Residents of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card", INS Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more) to reenter the United States. U.S. LPRs do not need a passport to enter the United States as per (8 CFR 211.1(a)), however, they may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements. While CBP does not require the passport as noted above, the airlines may have their own requirements, please check with your airlines prior to travel. Also, travel documents for LPRs do not need to be valid for any certain amount of time. Your LPR card only needs to be valid on the day that you are entering the US.

[emphasis mine]

From the US Customs and Border Patrol website

Lawful Permanent Residents of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card", INS Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more) to reenter the United States. U.S. LPRs do not need a passport to enter the United States as per (8 CFR 211.1(a)), however, they may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements. While CBP does not require the passport as noted above, the airlines may have their own requirements, please check with your airlines prior to travel. Also, travel documents for LPRs do not need to be valid for any certain amount of time. Your LPR card only needs to be valid on the day that you are entering the US.

[emphasis mine]

So it does indeed sound as if he can cruise,,, but what I take from this is that OP, you would need to find out the requirements of each of the countries the ship is visiting. I believe that if he wouldn't be allowed in one of those countries, he wouldn't be allowed to board.

Now, I would wager a bet, that because so many people have cruised with just a green card, is that probably the majority of the Caribbean ports would allow passage. Just a thought.

Hi cruisers!

-Julie

When I was on Green Card many moons ago (90's) - the green card itself did not mean anything for travel without a passport of your country. It is basically a document to show that you are eligible for employment and upon entering the US, you do not have to have entry authorization pre-approved.

I have never heard of anyone accepting the green card as a "travel document" in itself, and I had one for over a decade.

Good Luck.

I have a Green Card. When I cruise I always take my passport with me just incase.

At Carnival check in I have never been asked for my Passport, the Green Card was fine.

At Immigration once my wife was asked for her passport and showed it, but I was never asked. According to Carnival and US CBP you do not need to show a passport.

So it does indeed sound as if he can cruise,,, but what I take from this is that OP, you would need to find out the requirements of each of the countries the ship is visiting. I believe that if he wouldn't be allowed in one of those countries, he wouldn't be allowed to board.

ght.

This is correct. I spoke with carnival last night about this as my neighbors foreign passport expired. They said she would need green card and another govt. picture I'd, and she would have to contact the embassy of each port the cruise is sailing to and find out what their requirements are. Also, if the foreign ports say it is ok for the person to travel, CCL suggests getting it in writing if possible, or at least getting the name and phone number of the person you speak to in case an issue arises. Unfortunately, anyone denied boarding due to improper paperwork will not get any money back.

I would email or even call CBP, or actually have the green card holder do so themselves. You want to make sure you have the correct information right from the horse's mouth given his refugee status. Carnival only cares what you need to get on their boat, not the rules of CBP, or the rules of the other countries you are visiting.

The majority of the ports you visit on a cruise will not ask to see any travel documentation. You're considered "in transit" like if you were flying through an airport in another country, which is why you don't have to clear customs in each port.

Granted, I'm not an immigration attorney, so take this with a grain of salt.

I am not a lawyer. I have however cruised to the Bahamas, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Aruba, Curacao, Jamaica, Cayman Island, and Cozumel.

No one has ever asked us for our passports or any ID when we left the ship and visited those islands. Once when we were boarding in Freeport, the port security asked to see our S&S card as we left the shop....but not even our ID. We of course had our S&S card and our passports. I can't imagine they would ask someone randomly for ID if not asking everyone.

Good luck. I hope your friend can find a good immigration lawyer to help him...it must feel sad to not have a "home!"

The country you visit may require different documents. A friend is Vietnamess and has a green card but to go to the Bahamas needs a visa to enter and leave the country. He gets it from the Bahamas office in Miami.

Thank you so much for everyone's replies and for the links! I really appreciate them. At this point, we're at a loss on what to do. Based on the research I've done, I feel he should be okay to cruise. Like some of you cruisers have mentioned, I have never been asked to show my passport or ID at any of the ports I've been to in the past. I only had to show my S&S card when boarding the ship in Nassau. I don't even carry my passport off the ship. I know I probably should but I don't plan on missing the ship and feel much better if my passport is locked in the room safe.

For those who suggested that I contact the ports (Grand Turk, La Romana Domincan Republic, Curacao, and Aruba), I already did that about a month of ago with no luck. I emailed all the ports inquiring about the necessary documents and only got a reply back for Curacao, which was useless (they just directed me back to their website for "answers"). Maybe I'll try calling this time instead. I emailed because I wanted it written in paper as proof.

I guess I created this thread in hope of hearing from other cruisers who have recently done this to give us reassurance that he will be okay to cruise. I did a lot of research and feel that he will be okay but I really don't know. Thank you all again.

-Julie

The country you visit may require different documents. A friend is Vietnamess and has a green card but to go to the Bahamas needs a visa to enter and leave the country. He gets it from the Bahamas office in Miami.

Did your friend fly to the Bahamas or was he on a cruise?

Edited by iloveGESUS

My husband travels with his green card and driver license and has never had a problem. Only on cruises that start and end in the same port in the US.:)

Thank you! This makes me feel a bit better. I really feel that he will be okay because it is a closed loop cruise but you can never be sure. :)

I have a Green Card. When I cruise I always take my passport with me just incase.

At Carnival check in I have never been asked for my Passport, the Green Card was fine.

At Immigration once my wife was asked for her passport and showed it, but I was never asked. According to Carnival and US CBP you do not need to show a passport.

Thank you for sharing. This is reassuring. :)

My thoughts: (and that's all they are)

The main issue that most people don't realize the big difference is: your friend is citizenshipless (if there's even such a word) and most rules and examples provided don't apply.

1) Seek advice from an immigration lawyer.

2) If your friend is indeed deemed "stateless" (and there is a difference between stateless and refugee) he may qualify for a laissez passer travel document. Information can be had from the UN regarding these.

3) An American citizen telling you they were never asked for their passports or ID or whatever is irrelevant. The person you are inquiring for is NOT an American citizen and may indeed be asked for his documents because thats exactly what foreign countries are looking out for.

4) Forget about the "closed loop" issue that applies to most Americans and allows them to travel to foreign countries without a passport...once again...this doesnt apply to your friend...they are not an American citizen. Any travel agreement, either worldwide, western hemisphere etc only apply to those who can prove citizenship.

5) A green card holder or LPR is only to do with being allowed to be in the U.S, it allows re-entry to the U.S. It does nothing for entry into another foreign country. No other country cares about a green card except for the issuing country; the U.S.

6) A green card does not prove citizenship. And that's the big problem for your friend. They cannot prove their citizenship and many countries are loathe to allow entry to anyone who cannot. Americans can travel on a cruise without a passport with only a birth certificate because it proves their citizenship. Your friend can't do that.

7) Each country that a cruise ship stops at has its own entry requirements. And those requirements will vary based on the origin country of your friend. Not so for Americans, I know. But when not an American, travelling on a cruise, considered in transit, those agreements go out the window if the country so wishes. And seeing as your friend does not have a passport, it is extremely difficult to be granted a visa if that country requires one.

8) It is difficult to travel being stateless. The best thing to do is become a citizen of a country and get a passport. Failing that, apply for a laissez passer. Thats how most stateless people wind up being able to travel when they are not yet citizens of a country.

9) Much of the information you will find offered here (online) by well intentioned people is garnered from US sites regarding travel. Your friend is not an American citizen and most of it doesn't apply.

10) Take any or none of my information I have offered but i urge you to take the first one. Seek the advice of a lawyer. Not a PVP, not the US customs/border agency, not online resources. Contact the UN. Thats the agency that can help stateless people with travel. There are organizations also that help those requiring travel documents.

I put this all out in point form not to be harsh, but to perhaps break it down better :) Best of luck.

[quote=iloveGESUS;39005185

I guess I created this thread in hope of hearing from other cruisers who have recently done this to give us reassurance that he will be okay to cruise. I did a lot of research and feel that he will be okay but I really don't know. Thank you all again.

-Julie

Julie, with all due respect, I think that would be a mistake. Your friend is stateless. All the examples provided here should not reassure you, the majority don't apply. I'm not trying to be harsh but a stateless person is a whole different ballgame than what most realize.

Hi cruisers!

-Julie

So kind of off topic, he doesn't have citizenship in any country? How does that work? I have never heard of that before.

So kind of off topic, he doesn't have citizenship in any country? How does that work? I have never heard of that before.

It's called being stateless...without any bond of nationality to any State. For whatever reason they do not have citizenship. They either lost their claim to citizenship or never acquired it in their birth country and have no claim to any other States citizenship.

Even though you're seeking the stories if others, unless their story at minimum has their country of origin as Thailand, your friend cannot base his possible experience on theirs. The fact that he is stateless only adds to others experience being invalid to your situation. You need expert advice, not cruising expert advice.

Thank you so much for everyone's replies and for the links! I really appreciate them. At this point, we're at a loss on what to do. Based on the research I've done, I feel he should be okay to cruise. Like some of you cruisers have mentioned, I have never been asked to show my passport or ID at any of the ports I've been to in the past. I only had to show my S&S card when boarding the ship in Nassau. I don't even carry my passport off the ship. I know I probably should but I don't plan on missing the ship and feel much better if my passport is locked in the room safe.

For those who suggested that I contact the ports (Grand Turk, La Romana Domincan Republic, Curacao, and Aruba), I already did that about a month of ago with no luck. I emailed all the ports inquiring about the necessary documents and only got a reply back for Curacao, which was useless (they just directed me back to their website for "answers"). Maybe I'll try calling this time instead. I emailed because I wanted it written in paper as proof.

-Julie

Did your friend fly to the Bahamas or was he on a cruise?

Did not go... To much hassle, but it was going to be a cruise. Each countries embassy page has info on what visitors need to enter the country.

Good luck to your friend....

I used my green card with a driver's license to cruise to the Bahamas...however, that was before the laws changed. Then, I cruised with my American citizenship papers and was told by Carnival I needed passport.

Never was checked after I boarded and got my S&S card...keep the passport locked in my safe.

To the OP: you said this person is part of a huge group you're going with. I think it's great that you're willing to help figure this out, however I think you should make sure this person understands that it is THEIR responsibility to have the correct documentation not yours. I would hate for you to research their situation and think it is all worked out only to end up with a problem at check-in and they blame you "but you said this identification would get me on the ship!..."