Trivia

Flutie03

Yes, we won luggage tags, pens, and lanyards.

Also the disdain of those who did not know what Dorothy's last name is and the approximate year the STAR WARS movies take place.

Everyone knows it's Garland!:D. Actually, I never knew it until I just Googled it!

Has anyone won a contest onboard? If so, what did you win?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Flip flops, T shirts, hats, luggage tags, Purcell spray,playing cards, luggage straps, lanyards, bill folds,..... & mostly cheap pens!

That was the family name of my dear loving ex! I could've REALLY used some of that...:eek: :D :rolleyes:

Garland? Surely you jest. Dorothy Gale is the correct answer, played by Judy Garland.

You took the words out of my mouth!!!

We also have a collection of key chains, pens, playing cards and the occasional tee shirt. . .

Garland? Surely you jest. Dorothy Gale is the correct answer, played by Judy Garland.

Can you say joke? Did you not see the smile?

And didn't Purcell coach the Giants & Patriots?:eek:

At one time, there were some real good prizes for Trivia. But it became too competitive. There were these cruisers doing back to back who became very knowledgeable about the questions being used. So they decided to have these 'gag' gifts for the winners. Good move! The goal should be socializing.

We love to play trivia and even win occasionally. There are some people who play cutthroat trivia and take some of the fun out of it with their competitiveness. We never play to win the "stuff" since it's mostly trinkets anyway, but we also don't like it when people cheat to win. The "stuff" is not that compelling :)

Tom

Has anyone won a contest onboard? If so, what did you win?

We haven't had any complaints recently but going back a couple of years ago we had numerous threads on trivia. There were some very frequent cruisers who would bring notebooks with all the past questions they had accumulated on Celebrity cruises and search through the books for the answers. All to win a key chain. I believe Celebrity put an end to it by not allowing open book contests.

We haven't had any complaints recently but going back a couple of years ago we had numerous threads on trivia. There were some very frequent cruisers who would bring notebooks with all the past questions they had accumulated on Celebrity cruises and search through the books for the answers. All to win a key chain. I believe Celebrity put an end to it by not allowing open book contests.

It is funny what people will do to win free stuff.

If you play progressive trivia, the prizes are much better.

Nice tote bags, caps, lanyards with a big metal X on them (not as tacky as it sounds).

We play trivia a lot and usually give the prizes away. But we love to play.

Well, one of us is very good and the other is just there for the fun.

Flip flops, T shirts, hats, luggage tags, Purcell spray, playing cards, luggage straps, lanyards, bill folds,..... & mostly cheap pens!

Garment bag, gloves, scarf, key chain, & of course bragging rights....

Thanks for the responses. Have heard rumors of like $100 in onboard shop credit plus other stuff. Just seems a bit excessive for a single game of trivia.

Thanks for the responses. Have heard rumors of like $100 in onboard shop credit plus other stuff.

In some alternative cruising universe..

If I add the value of everything we've ever won, not even close.

Someone is pulling a lot of legs...

...for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread (i.e., cutthroat playing, answer books, etc.) the fun of a friendly, open game of trivia lost its luster and we quit going 2-3 years ago.

If Celebrity truly has clamped down on the boorish behavior at these games, it might be fun to try them again.

Going out again on Eclipse in just over 2 weeks. I think we'll go try trivia once again.

CM

We are avid trivia players. Yes, a couple of times we did see some taking it a little too seriously. Arguing with the staff, having answers from previous trivia.... But for the most part it is pretty laid back.

On one cruise, this group of 6 players stayed together. They were avid cruisers and knew many of the questions from past Celebrity games. Other players began to make comments directed towards them and some were pretty nasty. I had suggested to Celebrity that it would be more fun to break up teams if they won so people could meet others and this could make the games less competitive, fair and more fun. It was sad that it had to come to that.

We won some bingo tickets at trivia once so I guess they could have translated into a worthwhile cash prize. They didn't but it was a fun diversion.

Best prize we have ever won on a cruise was a bunch of t-shirts in a Brainbuster trivia game. We won with a score of 5 out of 15 which included one lucky guess and one educated guess. A number of teams score zero.

On one cruise, this group of 6 players stayed together. They were avid cruisers and knew many of the questions from past Celebrity games. Other players began to make comments directed towards them and some were pretty nasty. I had suggested to Celebrity that it would be more fun to break up teams if they won so people could meet others and this could make the games less competitive, fair and more fun. It was sad that it had to come to that.

I encountered a pair of women like that many years ago on a P&O cruise. Came to trivia armed with their notepads and even argued about answers given which they said had "changed since the last cruise". They were also loudly complaining that the prizes on offer weren't as good as those they had won previously. After our team and another beat them 4 times in a row they stopped coming to trivia. Some people are weird.

Archived