Trivia

Flutie03

Don't believe anyone mentioned Celebrity branded golf ball & tees. I've given these away to golfers I met onboard. Lot's of ink pens.

Also when you win the Billboard music trivia you win a card for 2 music downloads from Billboard.

re the Star Wars question, I'm guessing this is sort of a trick question.

Most of Star Wars (the original) takes place in 1 BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin) and the final scene takes place in 1 ABY (After the Battle of Yavin). I guess 1 BBY is approximate enough unless there is actually a Year Zero :)

The crawler at the beginning of E4 reads:A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

The trick part of the question is that everyone thinks the story is set in the future, not the past.

We're big on trivia and the reason I think that so many of the Trivia Masters don't correct wrong answers is because they're frequently non-Americans quizzing on American pop culture. They don't know that your or my correction is actually correct, and they don't have time or resources to verify it. (Have you seen their schedules?) I'm good with the "I'm always right" disclaimer at the beginning...and I like ORV's solution to Zombies vs. Yardbirds.

We had a great moment in a Princess game where the Trivia Master asked a music question and said we were the only guests to EVER get it correct: "Who sang Love Grows Where my Rosemary Goes?" I guess we were just from the right era? (now go look that one up...)

One of our favorite games was a Name That Tune where a teen girl playing by herself got every oldies song & artist correct. What a pleasure to see her beaming at the end!

When we play at home (occasionally in bars) there are strict rules about using smart phones or pulling things out of your wallet. Those kinds of rules could be stated at the beginning of the game, as well as requiring swapped answer sheets at the end.

I always thought that Dorothy's last name was a play on words as regards tornadoes, so it has stuck with me...now you have a pneumonic device to remember!

The crawler at the beginning of E4 reads:A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

The trick part of the question is that everyone thinks the story is set in the future, not the past.

Yes I thought of that as an answer and it would certainly suit a stock-standard trivia quiz. I'm probably indulging in nerdy overthink (as I sometimes tend to do) and thinking up answers more suited to really hard brainbuster trivia.

Well that would annoy me too, being as it's one of my all time favourite songs. I guess someone confused "For Your Love" with "She's not There". I too would probably question the answer too but no point in arguing about it. You're on holiday, just go with the flow.

As I said though, trivia often has little to do with fact. Trivia inhabits its own separate world which tries its best to coincide with the real world but often overlaps with some alternate reality where all the bogus trivia answers and urban myths live out their lives in blissful ignorance.

Please have a heart for the poor trivia hosts. They don't set the questions or have time to research the answers. Head office does all that.

My DD is one of the Activities team and has hosted many. Most are just good fun but some have left her in tears when the answers have been vehemently challenged, and all for a key ring bottle opener!

Really enjoy the Trivia but the lengths that some people go to win is sad. On one cruise a gentleman was asking everyone what their SAT scores were so he could put together the ultimate team.

Recently three Americans sat with a mobile phone accessing the internet. Needless to say they won most days but their displeasure at discovering they had to do an observation test quiz which they could not manipulate was priceless.

I've been on a few "good teams" and enjoyed the thrill of winning and it's a lot of fun. I've also been on some losing teams and enjoyed the thrill of laughing at ourselves and that was also fun. The common denominator is we have fun either way. I hope the intense players don't ruin it for the rest of us. I'd really miss trivia if the cruise line decides it's too controversial to continue.

They already don't do many group games any more. Celebrity used to have group Family Feud, Scattagories, and other team based games that they don't seem to do as much any more. I'd hate to lose trivia games too.

If you have to win by cheating is that really winning? I think that is just stupid. It's more fun when people try to win, but cheating is just dumb.

It's not like a suitcase full of key chains and lanyards going to do anyone that much good :(

Tom

Really enjoy the Trivia but the lengths that some people go to win is sad. On one cruise a gentleman was asking everyone what their SAT scores were so he could put together the ultimate team.

Recently three Americans sat with a mobile phone accessing the internet. Needless to say they won most days but their displeasure at discovering they had to do an observation test quiz which they could not manipulate was priceless.

"Please have a heart for the poor trivia hosts. They don't set the questions or have time to research the answers. Head office does all that."

Not so. There is a mix of questions provided by head office, and those prepared by the trivia hosts. Many of the activities staff enjoy doing trivia and write excellent quizzes. Some just use the ones given out by Head Office. Some take time and enjoy running the quizzes. Others just come in, ask ten questions, and leave. Some mix in a "name that tune" into each quiz, or have fun with questions about their home country, or their favorite movie.

We had a great moment in a Princess game where the Trivia Master asked a music question and said we were the only guests to EVER get it correct: "Who sang Love Grows Where my Rosemary Goes?" I guess we were just from the right era? (now go look that one up...)

I'd have got that, I'm pretty sure it was Edison Lighthouse, now I'll go look it up, I'd be embarrassed if I'm wrong now that I said I'd get it.

I really enjoy music trivia but I'm not a real big fan of the new Billboard series. But at least it takes it beyond the "name that tune aspect".

I find it amusing the talk you hear with a progressive game when you have one or two dominating teams. Some people are just simply poor sports, and have trouble with the concept that some teams have the right mixture of knowledge & useless information.

Well that would annoy me too, being as it's one of my all time favourite songs. I guess someone confused "For Your Love" with "She's not There". I too would probably question the answer too but no point in arguing about it. You're on holiday, just go with the flow.

...about the way she looked, the way she acted, the color of her hair!

"Please have a heart for the poor trivia hosts. They don't set the questions or have time to research the answers. Head office does all that."

Not so. There is a mix of questions provided by head office, and those prepared by the trivia hosts. Many of the activities staff enjoy doing trivia and write excellent quizzes. Some just use the ones given out by Head Office. Some take time and enjoy running the quizzes. Others just come in, ask ten questions, and leave. Some mix in a "name that tune" into each quiz, or have fun with questions about their home country, or their favorite movie.

So you are therefore calling me a liar and will no doubt accuse me of being a parachute parent for sticking up for my daughter Valentina.

Maybe you could have just told them you were the first to get it right since "...nobody knows like me!"

Tom

Oh, my, no, not calling you a liar Espirit, so please don't take my remarks that way. Both methods occur -- the trivia given by the Head Office, and those written by the Activities Staff. Sometimes it's done one way, sometimes the other.

Those who guessed EDISON LIGHTHOUSE are, indeed, correct! Remind me to find you all to team up for the next game.

One kind of trivia I don't care for is the kind where they ask for facts like the wing velocity of a sparrow* or the net calorie intake of a serving of celery, given the burn rate from chewing. Stuff there is NO WAY you're ever going to know.

(*I know you're asking if it's European or Asian...but you get my point.)

Yes, some of the staff use questions provided by Miami, but many make up their own quizzes. A favorite was Where in the World is Stephanie, which consisted of the young lady's photographs of herself taken in the ports she had visited around the world

We tried to take part in Trivia on a cruise earlier this year which had a number of back to back guests. We arrived early and sat down and were told off by other guests that this was where they always sat at quiz time and would we move. We said can we join you - no they replied, ok fine.

We were so shocked by the behaviour of this team of seemingly regular cruisers at that first quiz we never went back. They were rude, gave the host a hard time and were clearly using cheat sheets

We tried to take part in Trivia on a cruise earlier this year which had a number of back to back guests. We arrived early and sat down and were told off by other guests that this was where they always sat at quiz time and would we move.

'Reserved seats' at trivia - the cheek of some people! I'm afraid they would have got a polite but firm 'sorry but no, we won't move' from me. When we attend trivia we do tend to sit in the same place but if the seats were taken we would sit somewhere else; wouldn't dream of asking people to move…

We love to play trivia -- once on a B2B on Carnival we really kicked ass the first week. We were really disappointed when we went to trivia the second week and they used the same questions, obviously we didn't play. :(

Another time on Celebrity we ran into a group of very frequent cruisers and they had a notebook of answers from previous cruises. How sick is that? We didn't play, it was too frustrating to watch them cheat for ball-point pens and luggage tags :mad:

Archived