Trivia

Flutie03

We are avid trivia players. Yes, a couple of times we did see some taking it a little too seriously. Arguing with the staff, having answers from previous trivia.... But for the most part it is pretty laid back.

I like to bone up in NAme that tune by going over a few books. I usually know the tune, just need to verify the artist.

I put the book away before the contest! I love meeting other team members of different generations. Older ones can help younger ones with history. Younger ones can keep us current!

Love my trivia and usually win a fair bit of 'stuff' and end up giving most of it away to those other regulars who hadn't won...there are only so many pens you can take home! On a Princess trans Pacific cruise a few years ago, we had a very active progressive trivia. One team in particular was very 'vocal' regarding 'wrong' answers. One of the staff (a 6' 5" Aussie) couldn't cope with the arguments any more and refused to do it, so Matt (English guy) took over. His opening at every game was " I am right. Even if you think you are right, you are wrong. If you argue I will deduct points. Why? Because I can". The 'vocal' team quietened down ....once he had deducted 5 points!!!

Simon

We've won loads usually the range of luggage tags, pens, cooler bags etc. we often give stuff to fellow competitors or children, on our last cruise we gave it back to the quiz hosts. I'm amused that people think knowledge of answers is acquired from previous cruise quizzes. We do crosswords and quizzes at home and sadly seem to know the sort of stuff that gets asked on cruise quizzes.

We did win the progressive quiz in the IOS where the prize was 1 key tab for the whole team. Great fun had by all and it certainly got competitive !

We like to play and occasionally win. But, sometimes it gets ridiculous. If people get too weird about it, we stop going. Does anyone really need that keychain, lanyard or pen badly enough to bring notebooks of answers and berate the trivia host? I think not. If it is no longer a game, it is no longer fun.

Ohiodoglover

We play trivia several times on each cruise and we have cruised on several lines (remember, I am married to my wife, not Celebrity).

We too have won the usual luggage tags, pens, (etc.) several times. Some of the best prizes are on HAL. We have won umbrellas, insulated coffee mugs, and even fanny packs! Okay, we gave the fanny packs away since we didn't need any more padding!;)

You have to keep the trivia games in perspective. They are supposed to be fun and are a great diversion on a sea day. Those who argue a question or answer with the cruise director staff are quite childish, but all too often we have seen it happen.

Regarding what lengths people go to to win I have seen posts on here requesting the answers to the trivia games.

We sat down to play Wheel of Fortune. People were guessing the answer with one letter posted. The CD even made a comment about how talented they were. We stuck around because it was so comical, one person even yelled out the answer as soon as the category was posted but before a letter was played. You wonder why the cruise line can't change the game by comming up with new answers or questions, but it may be better to just give away gag prizes to make those people happy that go to any extremes to win something.

I never miss a trivia game. Sadly, as you rarely swap papers to mark answers some people cheat a lot. One team ruined it for everyone on our last cruise and cheated almost every time (one team member confessed!), by either only filling in answers when marking or by putting several in and crossing out the wrong ones when marking. They magically got full marks every time..apart from the two or three times we did swap to mark, when they lost each time.

Won some lovely prizes. These small disks that you place on the edge of a table to hang your handbag on so it doesn't go on the floor, celebrity magic 8 balls, lip balms. Plus the ususal t-shirts, sun visors, pens, keyrings, flip flops, playing cards, lanyards and tags.

Got a really nice celebrity bag that i now use as a hand luggage bag that the games guy gave to me because i'd won everything else ;) He ran out of prizes one day and started giving away spoons from the dining room. Total star. Can't wait to play again.

I like to bone up in NAme that tune by going over a few books. I usually know the tune, just need to verify the artist.

I put the book away before the contest! I love meeting other team members of different generations. Older ones can help younger ones with history. Younger ones can keep us current!

The music trivia is my favorite. We have met so many nice people playing. And yes, the more diverse your group, the more fun (and your team will do better too!).

The best prize we ever had was for a progressive quiz on a Transatlantic, when all eight of us had dinner in Miranos. !

A prize worth winning and we all had a great night.

The last quiz we played was on a transatlantic this year, and we were given along with the usual stuff, a rather nice gold tote bag with Celebrity written on it.

We've won loads usually the range of luggage tags, pens, cooler bags etc. we often give stuff to fellow competitors or children, on our last cruise we gave it back to the quiz hosts. I'm amused that people think knowledge of answers is acquired from previous cruise quizzes. We do crosswords and quizzes at home and sadly seem to know the sort of stuff that gets asked on cruise quizzes.

We did win the progressive quiz in the IOS where the prize was 1 key tab for the whole team. Great fun had by all and it certainly got competitive !

On princess we had a swap meet the last day for anyone with duplicate prizes. I was able to trade some of my magnets for different styles. I keep them in a Treasure box with my SS cards!

Those who argue a question or answer with the cruise director staff are quite childish, but all too often we have seen it happen.

While I agree with you I also agree with myself that there shouldn't be incorrect answers if you are dealing with simple facts.

The best prize we ever had was for a progressive quiz on a Transatlantic, when all eight of us had dinner in Miranos. !

A prize worth winning and we all had a great night.

The last quiz we played was on a transatlantic this year, and we were given along with the usual stuff, a rather nice gold tote bag with Celebrity written on it.

We got one of those gold tote bags also, actually 2, one for my wife, one for me. Each team member on the winning Progressive triva team got one, along with some other stuff.

I also like to play music trivia and the one that got me is that guy that came in on question 6 and claimed a win with 12 right out of 15.

While I agree with you I also agree with myself that there shouldn't be incorrect answers if you are dealing with simple facts.

The problem is that not only are facts not always simple but trivia often has very little to do with "fact".

One classic example of a famous trivia question is "Who was originally chosen to play the part of Rick in Casablanca before Humphrey Bogart got the role?". The "correct" answer is Ronald Reagan but this so-called "fact" has been thoroughly debunked. Nevertheless the question turns up regularly in trivia quizzes and Ronald Reagan is the only answer that will get you a point (look it up on Snopes).

One thing I always tell my kids when doing exams is that it's not about getting the right answer, it's about writing down the answer that the examiner wants to see :D

Two classic cases I will never forget....

A poor unfortunate trivia host was given some questions by a fellow crew member who was leaving the ship. Little did he know the time bombs left for him. He used the first few questions without difficulty, and then asked, "Which famous Civil War film had no battle scene?" His answer was.....no kidding....."The Sound of Music". He had no clue that he had been given a bogus answer, which was almost sad. We threatened to make him watch that film over and over and over again until he was cross-eyed and truly repentant.

Recently, another fellow came to trivia with a bank of questions from a book of trivia questions -- the question on one page, the answer on the next. But his eye somehow moved from the correct answer to the one below. The question was "What French philosopher said 'I Think Therefore I Am'. The answer he insisted was correct was.......Eleanor Roosevelt. We almost lynched him. He never ran a trivia again, at least on that cruise.

The problem is that not only are facts not always simple but trivia often has very little to do with "fact".

One classic example of a famous trivia question is "Who was originally chosen to play the part of Rick in Casablanca before Humphrey Bogart got the role?". The "correct" answer is Ronald Reagan but this so-called "fact" has been thoroughly debunked. Nevertheless the question turns up regularly in trivia quizzes and Ronald Reagan is the only answer that will get you a point (look it up on Snopes).

One thing I always tell my kids when doing exams is that it's not about getting the right answer, it's about writing down the answer that the examiner wants to see :D

All well and good, but The Zombies never ever did "For Your Love". It was The Yardbirds. I've been on 3 X cruises over the past couple of years where this question was asked, and they still have the wrong answer. No interpretation, simple fact. These are the type of questions I was referring to.

I now answer it as, "you'll have The Zombies, but the right answer is the Yardbirds."

It's just annoying, although it's all supposed to be in fun. I'm a stickler for rules, therefore I expect them to have the right answer. It's not that hard.

All well and good, but The Zombies never ever did "For Your Love". It was The Yardbirds. I've been on 3 X cruises over the past couple of years where this question was asked, and they still have the wrong answer. No interpretation, simple fact. These are the type of questions I was referring to.

I now answer it as, "you'll have The Zombies, but the right answer is the Yardbirds."

It's just annoying, although it's all supposed to be in fun. I'm a stickler for rules, therefore I expect them to have the right answer. It's not that hard.

We had a music trivia on my last Carnival cruise - Malt Shop Oldies. The Artist and song were familiar, but the recording was a remake by a group no one had ever heard of. I even had my book to show who had recorded it, but since the guy leading the game insisted on only accepting the artist on the record, Everyone got it wrong!

Abnother is "Miss American Pie" was not the name of the plane that Buddy Holly died in. Private planes didn't have or were given names. Problem is someone starts a rumor and after a period of time if enough people hear it and repeat it, it becomes "true".

I would have a really hard time with that particular mistake. Being a lover of the Yardbirds :).

Well that would annoy me too, being as it's one of my all time favourite songs. I guess someone confused "For Your Love" with "She's not There". I too would probably question the answer too but no point in arguing about it. You're on holiday, just go with the flow.

As I said though, trivia often has little to do with fact. Trivia inhabits its own separate world which tries its best to coincide with the real world but often overlaps with some alternate reality where all the bogus trivia answers and urban myths live out their lives in blissful ignorance.

Gale. But you knew that didn't you! LOL!

Nope, did not know it til I Googled it! (Know it now!) It also says that her last name was not mentioned until the third book in the series.

Well that would annoy me too, being as it's one of my all time favourite songs. I guess someone confused "For Your Love" with "She's not There". I too would probably question the answer too but no point in arguing about it. You're on holiday, just go with the flow.

As I said though, trivia often has little to do with fact. Trivia inhabits its own separate world which tries its best to coincide with the real world but often overlaps with some alternate reality where all the bogus trivia answers and urban myths live out their lives in blissful ignorance.

I remember when Trivial pursuit came out they had the wrong date on their cards for the first American into space. They had on their cards, May 6, 1961 when it was May 5, 1961 but how do you respectfully argue in a game. The reason I remembered the date is because I was 13 and that was the day my first niece was born, on the day Alan Shepard went into space, May 5, 1961.

Dorothy says her full name in the movie when she arrives in Oz. " I'm Dorothy Gale from Kansas."

We were on a cruise last year and the question was who has hosted Saturday Night live the most times.

Alec Baldwin had just passed Steve Martin hosting. The question came up three times, the correct answer was Martin. The same Activities guy hosted each of the sessions, why didn't he correct the answer?

Now that you know Dorothy's last name, what approximate year does Star wars take place. ( very approximate).

Now that you know Dorothy's last name, what approximate year does Star wars take place. ( very approximate).

No idea. I have never watched a Star Wars movie all the way through.

re the Star Wars question, I'm guessing this is sort of a trick question.

Most of Star Wars (the original) takes place in 1 BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin) and the final scene takes place in 1 ABY (After the Battle of Yavin). I guess 1 BBY is approximate enough unless there is actually a Year Zero :)

Archived