Do you negotiate a upgrade

We sail on the Prinsendam July 15 for 35 days we booked a inside guaranty and just got a E mail from our TA for a up grade to a Verandah or oceanview for $$$ do I Negotiate with them ??

i think it depends upon your TA and their connections.

We got an upsell offer on our last cruise - my TA called me and I explained why I thought it was too much. She agreed with my rationale and suggested a new figure. It went back and forth. I met HAL half way plus $100.

Mind you my TA is one in a million so I don't know if others would have done this.

Caveat - if the deal is good - it's out to others and will not be there long. So if you like it grab it.

I gambled as I knew my TA was connected (so to speak) and that no one else would pay those dollars that quickly. I could have been wrong and lost out though.

So you really have to know what you are willing to pay and willing to forego

edited to add - do you lie the price for the verandah. you didn't say what it was. If you do, don't wait. others will take it.

They are offering I-N to a A -AB 1299$ pp

I N to a C -HH 399$ pp

Whatever you do - DON'T take AB - tell them it must be A - usually on upsells we've been offered a specific room. Don't go to AB please. Those are not original Prinsendam cabins and have their own issues.

$1299 on this ship for your length of cruise seems like a reasonable price to me. Is it reasonable to you is the question? I'd be taking it - but that's me.

btw- if cabin 120 is available - take it!

have a great cruise on my favourite ship:D

We sail on the Prinsendam July 15 for 35 days we booked a inside guaranty and just got a E mail from our TA for a up grade to a Verandah or oceanview for $$$ do I Negotiate with them ??
On our May 2nd Prinsendam cruise I tried to offer about half of what HAL wanted for an upgrade from an F to a veranda and was flatly refused. That cruise sailed with about 100 empty veranda cabins, but HAL preferred to do that than dilute the price too much.

On another ship you might get a counter-offer accepted, or you might wait and hope that their asking price comes down later, but on the P'dam I doubt that either will happen. :(

On our May 2nd Prinsendam cruise I tried to offer less than what HAL wanted for an upgrade to a veranda and was flatly refused. That cruise sailed with about 100 empty veranda cabins, but HAL preferred to do that than dilute the price too much.

On another ship you might get a counter-offer accepted, or you might wait and hope that their asking price comes down later, but on the P'dam I doubt that either will happen. :(

Or your TA:D:D

Whatever you do - DON'T take AB - tell them it must be A - usually on upsells we've been offered a specific room. Don't go to AB please. Those are not original Prinsendam cabins and have their own issues.

$1299 on this ship for your length of cruise seems like a reasonable price to me. Is it reasonable to you is the question? I'd be taking it - but that's me.

btw- if cabin 120 is available - take it!

have a great cruise on my favourite ship:D

Where is cabin # 120?????

Where is cabin # 120?????
It's an AA on the Upper Promenade, about 1/4 way from the bow.I don't know why kazu thinks it's special though. Maybe the little angled corner of veranda?

It's an AA on the Upper Promenade, about 1/4 way from the bow.I don't know why kazu thinks it's special though. Maybe the little angled corner of veranda?

It is indeed an AA. It's angled and the verandah is bigger.

I'm going by P'dam afficionados who book this every time. It is supposed to have extra room.

I did have a chance to see it this time (not on the crawl, I asked) and it does seem to have a bit more space.

Just trying to help:o

It is indeed an AA. It's angled and the verandah is bigger.
I was just going by the deck plans, where it looks smaller than the 108 to 118 verandas because of that cut-off corner. 106 looks bigger to me, inside and out, on the deck plan.

I was just going by the deck plans, where it looks smaller than the 108 to 118 verandas because of that cut-off corner. 106 looks bigger to me, inside and out, on the deck plan.

no worries - I was just going by people who had it on more than one occasion -a and finally saw it last time.

The cut off corner appeared to make the verandah bigger and they swore by it - but I didn't live there;)

worry pas - I don't want to give bad advice - I'm just going by what I was told and saw:o:o

I tried on prior upsell and they declined. I said ok I'll pay full price:)

It was the penthouse . I don't think that offer would have lasted for long.

If there are high volumes of the cabins you are moving to available, I think negotiations might be possible. If there are limited and the price is already down it might not be to probable.

Just remember as Someone posted already, the offer is being made to many most likely and negotiations might work well or you find that the cabin was snatched up by someone else.

If the price is over budget or over point that interests you it never hurts to counter offer

I have not had much success in countering Hal's offer for an up sell. Using 2 different TA's and both tried to work with Hal and me but we never got to what I considered a fair price. In all cases they found someone else though that was willing to pay the freight.

Only once years ago for an Orinico cruise on the Rotterdam were we offered an upsell from an S category to one of the PS cabins. We spent about 1/2 hour on the phone with our TA and her to HAL. There are 4 PS cabins on that ship and 3 were empty. HAL offered one price which we thought was way too much -- so we countered offered.

We got the PS at our offered price.

On a Amsterdam cruise from Seattle to Ft Lauderdale -- also quite a few years ago. There were several S cabins left empty -- no one was upgraded to them and apparently no took an upsell offer. The cabin next to us had one of the medical team from the helicopter staying there for a couple of days as it was too dangerous for them to get him off the ship once the patient was loaded onto the helicopter -- high winds and rain. After he was able to get off the ship, the purser moved into that cabin for the rest of the cruise as we had also picked up the new purser in San Francisco.

It all really depends on the ship -- what is being offered -- and if HAL really wants to fill the ship.

If you have your reservation marked "Do Not Upgrade" will your TA get the upsell emails? Anyone have experience with that?
We did once - thought it was too much for the length of the cruise and declined the offer.

Archived