Self-embarkation---pros and cons??

cwestbrook

Most posts I read about embarkation talk about having to wait a long time for luggage. Why do most people not do self embarkation? Is it because you can't get to your cabins so you have to lug them around? How long do you usually have to wait to get into your cabin?

Thanks

Most posts I read about embarkation talk about having to wait a long time for luggage. Why do most people not do self embarkation? Is it because you can't get to your cabins so you have to lug them around? How long do you usually have to wait to get into your cabin?

Thanks

The cabins are usually available about 1:30, unless you have FTTF and/or are Platinum/Diamond and can get directly into your cabin. But any luggage you carry on has to fit in the security scanners, they will not allow you to carry on larger luggage.

On their website they don't say self embarkation luggage has to be smaller than the size they recommend for checked luggage. It doesn't say anything about having to fit through a scanner. Glad to know about that. Thanks

"Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds (22.68 Kilograms) and not exceed 16"H x 24"W (40.64 cm x 60.96 cm); there are no length restrictions. Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage."

I'm a big fan of self-embarkation for a couple of reasons. First, obviously, you don't have to wait into the night for your bags. I always like to get unpacked right away when I check into a hotel and it is a pain to have to wait for your bags after boarding. In fact, in many ways boarding a ship is like arriving at your destination airport only to find that your luggage didn't make it.

Secondly, I'm a big fan of "fee for service" and "an honest wage for honest work". At most ports, the "porters" do not work for the cruise line. They work via intimidation. You load your own bags at your peril and if you don't tip the "right" amount, you face threats and insults. In part, I use self-embarkation as a protest against this practice.

There is no size limit to the size of carry-on luggage other than that it must be able to fit through the scanners. Carnival does "encourage" it's passengers to stick within reasonable limits.

The only down side is physically having to take your bags on to the ship (no big deal) and potential delays in accessing your cabin after boarding (never seems to be a problem).

I think the biggest con is that everybody is pretty much hanging out on lido until cabins are ready and there isn't an abundance of space. I can live without my checked bag until dinner and usually have it before muster drill anyway. I just carry on all my valuables/wine and what I need to change for dinner.

We always carry-on/carry-off - far more convenient than checking bags especially with FTTF now. We travel with carry-on bags only - fifteen years and I haven't lost a bag and they always arrive on time!

majority of people will have bags before dinner time. if you arrive early you have to carry all your stuff til about 1:30 and that can be a real pain. we che k bags. will unpack later. there is a ship to explore, lunch to eat etc.

I think the biggest con

is that everybody is pretty much hanging out on lido until cabins are ready

and there isn't an abundance of space.

The biggest con of all is waiting until 1:30

for cabins that have been ready and wide open (airing out) since about 10! :D

We checked our luggage. It seemed easier and were new cruisers. This year we bought new luggage. A 21 inch purple American trunks on wheels. Not sure if will be allowed/ try to carry it on ourselves.

Never, since 1972, on 12 cruise lines, 60 cruises, has my checked luggage not arrived at my cabin after the ship sailed.

But it is easier to carry on all of your luggage.

If it fits in the xray machine, its goes on with you.

But my idiot BIL, claimed on the Freedom(09/12) that his luggafe was lost.

The cruise line jumped through hoops to find the luggage. Two bags.

They sent notes to every cabin on the ship, asking if the luggage was there, three times.

They were given free formal ware.

What happened, dummie left the two bags at home.

What happens if you get to the scanner and it won't fit? They just take it from there? I'm guessing there is no harm in trying. We will get to the ship around 1:30 so we shouldn't have to wait too long to get in our cabin.

Thanks for all your responses.

What happens if you get to the scanner and it won't fit? They just take it from there?

In most instances they will make you go back and check the offending luggage, if it is too large. We just had a similar situation with our rolling document crate that we use for schlepping soda, water, wine and snacks for our group. The security manager just took everything out of the crate, inspected it and all of the items, put everything back in and sent us on our merry way.

The biggest con for me is I'm on vacation. Why would i want to lug around luggage. I'm there to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. I don't care if luggage shows up early or late. i carry the least amount possible.

There are many guests that can only manage their luggage a few feet be it too many bags, too heavy luggages, not physically able or just not coordinated, or even trying to wrangle kids too but it does not mean they would not try to take it all on board. Then they hit the stairs, inclines, etc and need to be rescued.

I've been on many cruises. On one in particular out of Seattle, no less than three dock workers told us we couldn't carry our bags on ourselves. We insisted it was ok to do so. When we got to security, they didn't even flinch. Our large bags went right through. On another cruise, a traveling companion didn't get her bag until 8pm. It should be noted we boarded the ship at 11am. If you are boarding after 1:30, I don't see why you wouldn't carry on unless you are physically unable to. If you board sooner, I've never had an issue with dropping our bags in the room. Sure, they are not secured, but they aren't secured sitting in the hallway either. Happy sailing!

I've been on many cruises. On one in particular out of Seattle, no less than three dock workers told us we couldn't carry our bags on ourselves. We insisted it was ok to do so. When we got to security, they didn't even flinch. Our large bags went right through. On another cruise, a traveling companion didn't get her bag until 8pm. It should be noted we boarded the ship at 11am. If you are boarding after 1:30, I don't see why you wouldn't carry on unless you are physically unable to. If you board sooner, I've never had an issue with dropping our bags in the room. Sure, they are not secured, but they aren't secured sitting in the hallway either. Happy sailing!

Thanks for helping make my point. The dock workers know very well that you can carry your bags on. But they lie and intimidate to try to cheat you out your money.

You have 2 bags you tip the porter $5 Is it worth the dollars to lug your luggage through the lines to check in then up the ramps to get on the ship and then lug them around while you get something to eat and drink. To me its $5 well spent.

Another reason for self embarkation,which I am trying this year.I had a brand new suitcase last year and by the time it got to my room it was pretty scuffed up.Not enough to make a fuss over but still it left me looking brand new and came back to me looking like it had gone on a few cruises without me.

Laura

Archived