Has anyone done the Hellesylt to Geiranger 8 hour excursion

gojocruise

Has anybody done the above tour on previous visits to Norway with Princess. Seems like a long day but I am considering it.

Question about the coach too, as there seems to be quite a long time spend travelling on the coach is there an onboard restroom?

Thank for your thoughts

Fabulous tour! There are rest room stops along the way. This is one I consider a "must do." I don't remember whether the bus had a restroom but it wasn't a problem on our tour. Besides, quite a bit was on hairpin turns on steep mountain roads and you wouldn't want to be out of your seat and walking around the bus.

I agree with Pam. This was an awesome excursion. There was a restroom on the bus when we did it, but there were adequate stops for using restrooms and I don't remember anyone the bus facilities. Enjoy your cruise, Norway is fantastic:)

Fabulous tour! There are rest room stops along the way. This is one I consider a "must do." don't remember whether the bus had a restroom but it wasn't a problem on our tour. Besides, quite a bit was on hairpin turns on steep mountain roads and you wouldn't want to be out of your seat and walking around the bus.

Is this a ship's tour or privately arranged tour?

Ship's Tour

Is this a ship's tour or privately arranged tour?
Ship's tour. In this case, I think it would be better to take the ship's tour since it's a long drive over narrow and winding mountain roads unless you're really confident that you won't have any problems. The drop-off at Hellesylt is only for those on tours since the ship leaves immediately and sails to Geiranger. I would think you'd have to get permission to disembark the ship on a non-ship's tour. On my cruise, some friends disembarked and took the ferry instead of the ship to Geiranger and then did a private tour in Geiranger. They had a great time but I thought one of the highlights was going to the top of Dalsneba (wear warm clothing even in the summer) and they missed that. The drive down into Geiranger is spectacular.

Ship's Tour

Thanks, we're doing the fjords and artic circle. The itinerary shows both places on one day. The excursions are not available to look at yet, but would it be better to take the bus, or cruise the fjord that day? It's confusing, here's the itinerary. Could those of you with experience explain this?

Mon, 06/09/14 Hellesylt, Norway

Tender Required

wheelchair Access Limited 8:00am – 10:00am

Mon, 06/09/14 Geiranger, Norway

Tender Required

wheelchair Access Limited 12:00pm - 6:00pm

Thanks!

Thanks, we're doing the fjords and artic circle. The itinerary shows both places on one day. The excursions are not available to look at yet, but would it be better to take the bus, or cruise the fjord that day? It's confusing, here's the itinerary. Could those of you with experience explain this?

Tender Required

Tender Required

The ship arrives in Hellesylt, takes passengers ashore who are on tour, re-loads the tenders and sails two hours after arrival. It's a "drop-off" port. The ship then sails out the fjord and on to Geiranger, arriving there at Noon. If you choose to stay on the ship and sail to Geiranger, you'll see the fjords from the ship but you'll miss the Norwegian countryside and driving to the top of Dalsneba. Most of the drive is spectacular. If you choose to sail to Geiranger and take a tour there, you'll see the port and not much else although Geiranger itself is spectacular.

Oh Pam, I love you!:p Not only do you give accurate information, you read minds! :D We must have been posting at the same time and you anticipated my question! Thank you for further clarification.

As soon as tours are available, I'll book the ship's tour. Sounds like one I wouldn't want to miss! I appreciate your help!

Tender Required

Tender Required

Thanks!

I rank the Norweign Fjord Cruise as on of my best cruises.

(Antarctica is No. 1; Norway No. 2)

Scenery is fantastic.

IMHO - The Norweign fjords are more scenic than the Chilean and New Zealand fjords.

I opted for the bus tour figuring that it would be more scenic.

You will see the fjords at Hellesylt and Geiranger from the bus tour when you are on the mountains.

Take a rain coat -- Seems to always rain in Norway:(

If you are going to the North Cape, there is a Post Office there.

You can send mail back to your friends.

Have a great cruise

I've also done this tour a couple of times and agree it is fantastic. Scenery is beautiful and there were enough stops not to worry too much about restrooms. While it can be pricey I thought I got a lot of bang for the buck. Norway has some beautiful spots I'd return in a second.

I rank the Norweign Fjord Cruise as on of my best cruises.

(Antarctica is No. 1; Norway No. 2)

Scenery is fantastic....

Take a rain coat -- Seems to always rain in Norway:(

Same for me. Literally. Antarctica #1, Norway and North Cape #2. Did both on HAL on small/smaller ships. Not only was Norway spectacular but I loved Svalbard. On our itinerary, we sailed about 100 miles north of Longyearben literally into the polar ice cap. We were surrounded by ice. Something I'll never forget.

Temps on this cruise will range from mild to freezing. You'll pass snow on the road even in June and the top of Dalsneba is downright freezing.

I am literally uploading my photos from this cruise in 2007 and will post a link when I'm done editing.

Same for me. Literally. Antarctica #1, Norway and North Cape #2. Did both on HAL on small/smaller ships. Not only was Norway spectacular but I loved Svalbard. On our itinerary, we sailed about 100 miles north of Longyearben literally into the polar ice cap. We were surrounded by ice. Something I'll never forget.

Temps on this cruise will range from mild to freezing. You'll pass snow on the road even in June and the top of Dalsneba is downright freezing.

I am literally uploading my photos from this cruise in 2007 and will post a link when I'm done editing.

Can't wait to see the photos!!! Did you write a review?

Suggestions for private tours? Bergen, Tromoso, Ny Alesund (Spitsbergen), Honningsvag (North Cape), Alta, Gravdal (for Lofoten Islands), Stavanger.

Can't wait to see the photos!!! Did you write a review?

Suggestions for private tours? Bergen, Tromoso, Ny Alesund (Spitsbergen), Honningsvag (North Cape), Alta, Gravdal (for Lofoten Islands), Stavanger.

Can not recall any private tours on the Nowegian cruise.

I was there in 2004; maybe on Pam's cruise private tours were organized.

All of my Tours were Ship's Tours.

You will be there in early June; so you will have about 22 hours of day light.

I was on the Royal No. 1, had all outside cabins.

Had to block off the window to get some sleep:eek:

We did this tour three weeks ago and it was fabulous. It was cold up at Dalsnibba, and a bit foggy, so photos from there are not quite as clear as the ones taken further down. Enjoy!!

We did this tour three weeks ago and it was fabulous. It was cold up at Dalsnibba, and a bit foggy, so photos from there are not quite as clear as the ones taken further down. Enjoy!!

If you've posted your photos, I'd love the link! Thanks! So good to hear great reports.:)

Can anyone who has taken this excursion tell me if sitting on one side of the bus or the other is better for picture taking? We have signed up for this excursion in September and can hardly wait!

Can anyone who has taken this excursion tell me if sitting on one side of the bus or the other is better for picture taking? We have signed up for this excursion in September and can hardly wait!

From what I can recall, I was on the passenger side of the bus.

I see that you will also be in Flaam.

Flaam Railway Tour was also an outstanding Tour.

From what I can recall, we made a short stop at a port called Vic, took a bus to Flaam and boarded the train.

We had the first 2 seats right hand side, view from the front of the bus plus the side window, try to get these, if possible. Would not suggest the seats right behind the driver. It does not matter what side as there is scenery all around. If you are taking the pictures, sit beside the window.

Excellent tour, worth the money.

The meal was excellent. Take time to see the waterfall behind the restaurant. Restaurant is at the top of a mountain, with great views.

There were a few stops along the way for picture taking.

We spend most of the day while on the ship on deck watching the scenery.

Book this tour as soon as possible as it sells out.

Archived