Things being Discontinued the Fall?

SilvertoGold

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] Because, among other things, they have come here to CC and told us they had issues but didn't want to 'make a fuss' about it. :rolleyes: We have also been told by crew.

[/b][/QUOTE]

Nothing like being interrogated on a Sunday afternoon:rolleyes:

[quote name='LindaM'] >SNIP<
This is my guess---people who benefit from HAL's wonderful pricing in the Caribbean may lack a little class and feel no shame in doing whatever to save even more money. I just hope that those of us who sail in Europe are not punished because of their behavior or lack thereof.[/quote]

I am someone who can only get to the Caribbean infrequntly in part due to the cost to us. We have NOT benefited from "wonderful pricing" in the Caribbean. I would appreciate you being a bit clearer and more specific about who you are insulting with your statement.

[quote name='SilvertoGold']On another thread Lisa noted that there are a "few things that are going away this fall, one I think will shock everyone"

This really made me sit up and take notice and think!

Anyone have any ideas, bets?

I suggest the Disembarkation Talk, mostly because that would shock me.

Otherwise, but not in the shocking category, the Captain's Reception, end of cruise questionaires, day of the week elevator mats.

Any ideas about what HAL has planned?[/QUOTE]

Sorry. Very confused now ... how did most of this thread turn into an argument over the daily HSC? Have we confirmed that there will be a change to this process?

[quote name='lka1012']I am one who scrapes and saves for my one cruise a year, and most of the time do not spend large amounts on board. Probably 300-400 dollars not including shore excursions and spa services (my biggest expenses). My main purchases are for maybe one or two mixed drinks and sodas a day. (Mainly because I do not like the taste of most wines and liquors). While I may have an extremely limited budget, I consider tips and some purchases part of the trip. (Or for that matter a dinner out). I rarely drink the wine offered free or otherwise. While I limit myself to the mostly free items, the extras are part of the vacation. However I have NEVER asked the HSC to be removed and frequently add to it.[/quote]
You sound just like my husband and I. We spend very little as we are a retired couple,and we don't drink. We do tip well though and NEVER remove the HSC. We stopped buying the pictures because they are [I]way [/I]overpriced. We don't drink soda or wine and I'm not about to start just because people think we're cheap. We never get the cheapest room(obstructed view) because we book early. Sorry if some people don't like this, but it is how we travel. We don't grovel around for cheap stuff either, just careful with our money. I didn't realize you needed to be rich to take vacations, thought we were all entitled to them.

I have a problem with people complaining about those who don't spend money onboard.

We seldom have any extra expenses onboard. We don't drink much, we don't gamble, we don't do cooking classes, we aren't shoppers and we eat once in a specialty restaurant.

That does not make me cheap. That does not make me a lower class passenger. We stay often in suites, but if we preferred insides that shouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

/end rant

They can get rid of the Mariner brunch for all I care. That'd save a god amount of change I'd assume.

[quote name='CowPrincess']I am someone who can only get to the Caribbean infrequntly in part due to the cost to us. We have NOT benefited from "wonderful pricing" in the Caribbean. I would appreciate you being a bit clearer and more specific about who you are insulting with your statement.[/QUOTE]

Come on now....the only people I was insulting were those who abuse HAL's lenient wine policy. Because of them, HAL will probably follow Princess' lead in curtailing wine brought on at ports. I am sorry that you felt insulted, but I've read a lot here on CC about great prices to fill the ships!!

[quote name='LindaM']Do you know what it is? I know people were stressing about the possibilities right before we sailed with them in Sept. I'll have to go to their boards and find out![/QUOTE]

I want to say you could bring one bottle on per person but I could be very wrong. It's just enough to get myself on board so I have only brought wine on once and that was Celebrity.

[quote name='sppunk']They can get rid of the Mariner brunch for all I care. That'd save a god amount of change I'd assume.[/quote]

If people were not eating at the Mariner Brunch, they would probably be eating somewhere else. The food at the Mariner Brunch is not that much more expensive than what is served elsewhere, plus the chefs and waiters are not on hourly wage so they get paid either way. Not much a saving would be achieved by cancelling the brunch.

[quote name='MadManOfBethesda']Who's telling you you can't respond to a post? Let me break down my comment for you so you won't misinterpret it for a third time. I basically said that people didn't need to post that they themselves would never take wine/drinks from their room; I stipulated that I had no doubt that there are numerous ethical passengers who would never do such a thing. That doesn't negate the fact that there are plenty of people who do. If you and others want to waste your time and energy stating that you are one of those ethical people even though it serves absolutely no purpose to do so, by all means, feel free.:rolleyes:

And as for your observations, I'll try this one more time: we're talking about [I][U]my[/U][/I] observations, not yours. Is that really such a difficult concept? I - - repeat - - I - - have observed people coming out of their cabins and taking wine and/or drinks to the MDR, lounges, pool, and other public areas on every single HAL cruise that I've been on. I'm not remotely interested in what you saw or didn't see on your 30-day cruise.

With regard to your comment that you aren't easily taken in, all I can say is that if you believe that you can tell how many people are walking around with drinks from their room based on their glassware, you are very naive. Most people know not to use those ridiculous glasses from the stateroom if they are going to be walking around with "illicit" drinks. (Although apparently at least 20 people on your cruise weren't that smart.)[/QUOTE]

I think someone is having another bad day. I remember when you searched my posts to find some supposedly negative thing I said about a cruiseline; years back. I wouldn't have wasted my time, because it just wouldn't be worth it!! Just like this conversation....

[quote name='taxmantoo']If people were not eating at the Mariner Brunch, they would probably be eating somewhere else. The food at the Mariner Brunch is not that much more expensive than what is served elsewhere, plus the chefs and waiters are not on hourly wage so they get paid either way. Not much a saving would be achieved by cancelling the brunch.[/QUOTE]

I was including tiles, the printing of invites, etc. - should've been more clear. :)

[quote name='lorekauf']I want to say you could bring one bottle on per person but I could be very wrong. It's just enough to get myself on board so I have only brought wine on once and that was Celebrity.[/QUOTE]

You are right. Although, it seems like it isn't enforced on all ships. I read that July is the supposed"effective by date." If a person buys a bottle in port, they will be charged a $15 corkage fee, no matter where it will be consumed.

I hate to say it, but after reading those posts, I think HAL is going to do the same thing.

With all the discussion about long lines of people at the front desk to remove their HSC - I remember that in the days before HSC, many people stiffed the crew then. Back then the last night in the MDR was usually less crowded. People who were in the MDR every other night of the cruise were absent, I suspect to save on tipping. Plus, who knows how much those who tipped actually gave.

I thought that having the HSC would be a good deal for the crew, and I suspect it is (but I have no way of knowing), even with the non-HSCs factored in. For this reason, I like it.

However, I still tip the various crew members directly, when their service is over and above - it is the right thing to do IMO. I know some folks do not feel that any extra tipping is the thing to do, since there is a HSC - they feel that this should cover it all. My argument to them is "if you were dining in your favorite place and got just adequate service, would you tip the same amount as you did on another meal when you got great service? - I think not".

DaveOKC

[quote name='startwin']So they said they didn't want to make a fuss but they demanded to have the HSC removed anyway? Can't say I've seen that but I don't disbelieve you for a second. But that the crew discusses other pax with you. Hmm..[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]I read that!![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]I think it is terrible that the crew talk to sail7seas and her husband about other passengers.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]That has my blood rolling.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote=Watson's aunt;39046329]Hi

why does HAl not just add the hotel service charge to the cost of cruise.
they can say if you have womderful service you can give more. They do not have revel the amount. I was on Amerstbam last two years. I had a wonderful bartender on my cruise in 2011. I wanted to give her a exra tip she went upbovr and beyond. I could not find her the last night of cruise. When I went back last year I saw her and we had a big hug. I gave her the tip from last year.

I hope they never do away with the towels animals. I love coming back to my room to see what is there.

I use to drink Pepsi I hate Coke. My last Pepsi was when I got home from the cruise. But I do drink some water. I may bring two bottles of wine for my cabin. I have never had free wine in MDR (only time was when Officers visited our table in 2011. I buy wine for dinner.
then go to crows nest for happy hours. I buy a few tours, and spend a bit of money in shops. I buy some stock photo's.

I think they will start charging for books and dvd's. Maybe all shuttles.

Mary[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]There was a time when HAL did charge $3 rental fee for the DVD's.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='DaveOKC']With all the discussion about long lines of people at the front desk to remove their HSC - I remember that in the days before HSC, many people stiffed the crew then. Back then the last night in the MDR was usually less crowded. People who were in the MDR every other night of the cruise were absent, I suspect to save on tipping. Plus, who knows how much those who tipped actually gave.

I thought that having the HSC would be a good deal for the crew, and I suspect it is (but I have no way of knowing), even with the non-HSCs factored in. For this reason, I like it.

However, I still tip the various crew members directly, when their service is over and above - it is the right thing to do IMO. I know some folks do not feel that any extra tipping is the thing to do, since there is a HSC - they feel that this should cover it all. My argument to them is "if you were dining in your favorite place and got just adequate service, would you tip the same amount as you did on another meal when you got great service? - I think not".

DaveOKC[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]I remember those days.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]All too often we watched the dining room staff gather on the steps to sing their farewell song. Many people got up and ran for the doors as fast as they could.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Several times we were practically alone when the staff came back to their tables. They had big smiles on their faces which quickly disappeared when they saw only a few people left in their sections.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]One time the couple that was at our table got into a fight. We stormed out first and then she did -- neither tipping anyone. Before dinner, every night they would have cocktails in the Ocean Bar -- sat at the same table -- had the same waitress. Last night of the cruise they were no where to be seen in that bar.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]When it comes to handing out extra tips at the end of the cruise, we do leave an envelope in the cabin for the stewards.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]But to all others we give tips to -- we just use a hand shake to hand over the tips -- no envelopes.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='LindaM']You are right. Although, it seems like it isn't enforced on all ships. I read that July is the supposed"effective by date." If a person buys a bottle in port, they will be charged a $15 corkage fee, no matter where it will be consumed.

I hate to say it, but after reading those posts, I think HAL is going to do the same thing.[/QUOTE]

I think you are right. Truly, I don't see why it's a big deal to bring a bottle on here and there but some people bring much more than that and it will likely bring about a change.

We choose HAL for the itinerary offered and then discovered their beverage policy. DH ONLY drinks Pepsi - no coffee or anything else - so we very much appreciated that we could bring Pepsi products on Board. We also brought wine and hosted three sail way parties with friends on our balcony. HAL's wine policy is a definite drawing card for is and I hope they maintain it. We also supported onboard services by buying other liquor products directly from them. Looking forward to our next cruise.

[quote name='sppunk']I was including tiles, the printing of invites, etc. - should've been more clear. :)[/quote]The tiles are really a separate thing from the Brunch - if you recall they used to deliver them to the cabins for everybody, and still will if you say you aren't going to the Brunch and request delivery. Besides the one glass of wine per person, I agree with taxmantoo that little would be saved by eliminating the Brunch.

I can see how the very liberal carry-on policy for wine could hurt the bottom line for HAL, but on the other hand, perhaps some passengers might switch to another line (Oceania allows unlimited wine to be brought aboard, for example) if this is important to them.

And I would hate to see the mind-set of smuggling liquor and wine aboard as we have seen and experienced on other lines. Just check out some of the CC boards for the lines that disallow any alcohol to be brought on-board :eek:

I think especially on the longer European itineraries, not allowing wine to be brought aboard would be a mistake. We have found some great local wines and had a wonderful time bringing them back to try aboard the ship. And we do purchase wine for dinner in the MDR and at the bars, so it's not like we just stay in our cabin and drink - that sort of defeats the purpose of being on a ship, no?

Maybe HAL will end up having different policies for different itineraries? Or for different lengths of cruises?

[quote name='scdreamer']I can see how the very liberal carry-on policy for wine could hurt the bottom line for HAL, but on the other hand, perhaps some passengers might switch to another line (Oceania allows unlimited wine to be brought aboard, for example) if this is important to them.

And I would hate to see the mind-set of smuggling liquor and wine aboard as we have seen and experienced on other lines. Just check out some of the CC boards for the lines that disallow any alcohol to be brought on-board :eek:

I think especially on the longer European itineraries, not allowing wine to be brought aboard would be a mistake. We have found some great local wines and had a wonderful time bringing them back to try aboard the ship. And we do purchase wine for dinner in the MDR and at the bars, so it's not like we just stay in our cabin and drink - that sort of defeats the purpose of being on a ship, no?

Maybe HAL will end up having different policies for different itineraries? Or for different lengths of cruises?[/QUOTE]
There was a lot of complaining going on the Princess board that people were going to leave when they changed their policy. They claimed they love Princess but that fixed it for them. I like my wine but I think to leave as cruise line over that is a bit much. My guess lots of people complained but very few would actually leave.

I am an infrequent cruiser mainly due to finances. When I have the money saved, I'll book a cruise that appeals to me. I don't care what category stateroom I have and I book what I can afford. I'm probably pretty average in my spending. I do a small amount of shopping in the stores on the ship, have a glass of wine or a drink here and there, enjoy the Pinnacle grill at least once each cruise and book shore excursions through the ship if they appeal to me.

I would never remove the HSC and I do leave something extra for my cabin steward. I leave it in an envelope on the bed when I go to dinner because I know he'll get it then. I'm always afraid I won't see him again. I have also sought out other members of the staff who have provided me with excellent service. I really surprised one young man in the Lido a few years back doing that which tells me that doesn't happen too often. I also looked at how much the HSC is going to cost me in August for a 7 night cruise. The $80.50 is small change compared to the price I have already paid. If they rolled that into the pricing, it certainly wouldn't deter me from booking. And, yes, I usually figure out what the HSC is going to be on a cruise as I consider it part of the cost of cruising.

I would miss the days of the week mats, but I doubt that would impact my cruise experience too negatively.

I do like to bring a bottle of wine on with me that I enjoy in my room. One is all I want to carry at a time and it tends to last me for a week's cruise. I've also purchased wine in bars and at dinner. I would miss the ability to bring on a bottle of my favorite wine, so I hope that isn't something that is eliminated.

I can live without the disembarkation talk. I only attended one and it was plenty.

I don't care what they do about smoking on balconies, but I'm glad they no longer allow it in cabins.

What attracts me to HAL is that there aren't any of the hairy chest contests and activities such as that. I've always found a wonderful ambiance on the ships and enjoy them for that. I love the promenade and spend a lot of time out there walking. The staff has always been very friendly and helpful and I've never experienced a service problem. That is what keeps me coming back.

Debbie

[quote name='lorekauf']There was a lot of complaining going on the Princess board that people were going to leave when they changed their policy. They claimed they love Princess but that fixed it for them. I like my wine but I think to leave as cruise line over that is a bit much. My guess lots of people complained but very few would actually leave.[/QUOTE]

I think this is true for most people most of the time. Tell HAL you hate smoke on balcony but book your next cruise with them. Why should they change, our complaining cost them nothing. Eliminate rugs, towel animals, surveys, tiles, pins, medals, unlimited wine etc and we will complain on CC but will many change cruise lines.

[quote name='scdreamer']I can see how the very liberal carry-on policy for wine could hurt the bottom line for HAL, but on the other hand, perhaps some passengers might switch to another line (Oceania allows unlimited wine to be brought aboard, for example) if this is important to them.

Maybe HAL will end up having different policies for different itineraries? Or for different lengths of cruises?[/QUOTE]

You said it better than I did obviously from a reply I got.:rolleyes::p:p

Yes, in Europe, wine is important - and yes, like you we buy their wine too.

It would be nice if they had different policies for different or longer itineraries but I doubt that will happen.

Would I leave HAL if they change the policy? We don't know until we see the policy. But..with some sales Oceania and others have - without the current wine policy - those cruises may look more do-able and start to compare out very favourably to HAL;)

It's my line of choice - I make no bones about it - but I haven't been on Oceania, Crystal, etc.

We all have choices - so we'll just wait and see. I wish if HAL was going to make changes they would get off their duffs and announce them.

After all, it's July now and depending upon when they take effect - some of us do have cruises booked;)

Archived