Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

6 minutes ago, madcat444 said:

Please don't cancel - give it a go as I'm sure you'll love it and if, for some reason or other, you don't enjoy it too much you'll be able to say you gave it a go and not have any regrets going.  

Which ship are you going on?  It sounds like they have a few activities already planned so when you get talking to others that'll lead to more.  You say you're a snorkeler so chat with others on the roll call and perhaps see if you find fellow snorkelers who may have trips booked.  If you go on trips, be it through the ship or independent operators, you'll meet others.

Go, have a ball and make some memories - then plan your next solo trip 😁

Fiona

Thanks for the kind words Fiona,  I am on Adventure of the Seas RCI.

20 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I was solo on Adventure a year ago for the Snowbird Migration 13 night, and made several friends that I've seen since then too.  Met up with one lady in Seattle prior to an Alaskan cruise this past May,  one of the fellas picked me up from the train station and took me to the port, and one of the ladies was on that same cruise.  The first step can be daunting, but once you take it you will feel so liberated,  trust us!!!   You aren't really alone when you're on a cruise.....

Nancy

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

No problem 🙂 

I've been solo on Adventure and met lots of nice people.  Look in the daily cruise compass for solo meets.  I think RCI do solo lunches but definitely go to the first meet and hopefully you'll find other solos.  If not, set dining can be good for meeting people.  I travel mostly on NCL who are great for solos but was on RCI Spectrum in May 2019 and met really, really nice people who I'm still in touch with on a regular basis.

Enjoy 😄 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

I have an eight day solo for the first time on Feb 1, and I am having second thoughts!  I was actually willing to lose money and not go!😲

I am not shy or reserved but I am still quite anxious about the whole thing!  I am going to the Meet and Mingle and doing a pub crawl and a room crawl.

I booked this cruise because it is to the ABC islands and I am an avid snorkeler.

I am seriously doubting my decision,  I keep saying to myself I  must have  been crazy!

Wow, I feel like I wrote this myself.  I'm doing my first solo on February 1st as well and as the time gets closer I think I must be crazy to do this by myself and at least twice a day I think ok I'm cancelling this and then I think of being on the ship and how much I love cruising. So far there's only a few solo cruisers on my sailing and most of them are more like single cruisers. I understand Carnival is not a good choice for solo cruisers but it is the ship I've been on most of the time and I thought I would be more comfortable on a ship I'm familiar with. Oh well, today I'm in the mindset to just do it and make my own decision if this is for me or not.  They do have meet and mingles, slot pulls etc but it seems to be mostly geared for couples and families. 

We'll have to compare notes when we get back and report the good bad and ugly for other first time solo cruises.  Hopefully we'll have such a good time we can't wait to do it again.  Happy sailing.

• Like 1

Don’t cancel your cruise!!!! I did my first solo cruise last November. Loved it. It was a Mediterranean cruise on the Princess Sapphire. I did not do any meet and mingles. I just went about my day. I always met plenty of people to talk to. I chose anytime dining at a table by myself. I always found people to talk to while eating dinner. I even ate dinner three nights with a group I met on the ship. I always found people to hang out with on excursions also. One other single lady and I were on two excursions together. We hung out together on both of them and sat on the bus ride together. It was an amazing trip. I was anxious before I went. I also spent two days in London and Rome on my own. I have already booked three solo cruises for 2020. Enjoy your trip!!!!

• Like 1

You can do this!  I went to do a solo cruise for my 40th and last minute a friend joined me. But I did do an 8 day solo on Carnival Freedom a few years later.  I loved it.  Do you travel by yourself on land?  I actually find it easier on a cruise.  I am a people person so make friends easy, but I loved having quiet time when I wanted and not being responsible for others agenda.  Be active on your roll call and there may be others you connect with.  I ended up doing a beach day with a couple from my roll call.  It is new so it's scary, but you can do it.  Soon after my solo cruise, I went and lived on a 4 cabin catamaran for a week solo, loved every minute!

You can do this!

BTW:  leaving on a solo cruise on MSC Divina next Sunday, cant wait!

Melissa

• Like 1

You just need more info from solo cruisers, remember, there is nothing to fear but fear itself. Think of the positives; you're free to do what you want, when you want, without someone else whining, or you having to acquiesce {{{boom!}}}. 

A three time family cruiser, I booked my first solo - an aft concierge cabin on Celebrity Solstice to Alaska. Wow, just wow! First of all, I literally was treated like royalty by staff (some extra attention for a solo?). Anytime I was unsure or turned around, there was always someone, a passenger, or staffer, to offer assistance. There was never a lack for company if I wanted it, with myriad invitations to join others...with so many friendly and helpful people, being solo might even have been a benefit. Booking anytime seating worked great, every MDR meal was a choice: my solo table by the window, or to be seated with others...both perfect for the mood. I never felt like an "outsider" on port trips, and enjoyed all three. One of the highlights: A young, handsome gentleman staffer that befriended me walked me to my table for dinner one evening. The looks on the two ladies (my age, 60-70) faces at the next table was priceless; one said "Well, la de dah." (That alone made every penny of the solo worth it.)

The key to my wonderful cruise? Cruise Critic. From the ship Roll Call to all the tips and advice, priceless! It's how I chose 3 awesome port adventures, knew what to pack and what not to, and learned lots of ins and outs that made the whole experience memorable. Channel that trepidation into excitement, it will probably be your best cruise; you'll be glad you didn't cancel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BJs mom said:

We'll have to compare notes when we get back and report the good bad and ugly for other first time solo cruises.  Hopefully we'll have such a good time we can't wait to do it again.  Happy sailing.

Yes we will have to compare!  I am still anxious though.😲  Happy sailing to you.

Dec 20 was our fiftieth wedding anniversary, thank God my children were with me.😥

4 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I have an eight day solo for the first time on Feb 1, and I am having second thoughts!  I was actually willing to lose money and not go!😲

I am not shy or reserved but I am still quite anxious about the whole thing!  I am going to the Meet and Mingle and doing a pub crawl and a room crawl.

I booked this cruise because it is to the ABC islands and I am an avid snorkeler.

I am seriously doubting my decision,  I keep saying to myself I  must have  been crazy!

I agree with the other folks, don't cancel.....I am getting ready to sail for my umpteenth cruise (solo)…..I started

cruising in 2003---I have over 50 cruises with all but 3 solo.   It is really the only way I sail.  You can do whatever

you want (or don't want)…….whenever you want.  I can't tell you how to feel or not feel, but I bet once you

get on that ship and relax, you will love it:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, aVacation4me said:

The key to my wonderful cruise? Cruise Critic. From the ship Roll Call to all the tips and advice, priceless! It's how I chose 3 awesome port adventures, knew what to pack and what not to, and learned lots of ins and outs that made the whole experience memorable. Channel that trepidation into excitement, it will probably be your best cruise; you'll be glad you didn't cancel.

I have to agree with you about Cruise critic.  It was invaluable for info on my other cruises.

Started cruising solo last January. Loved it. You can do as much or as little as you want. Requested a table alone in MDR. Plenty of people around to talk with. Met so many nice people. I think the staff gives you extra attention being a solo. Took my 2nd solo in October. Have 4 more booked. The family knows that solo cruising is the only way I cruise now. 

• Like 1

I was a bit worried on my first one, even though I live alone and most frequently travel alone. Maybe there's something about that big ship with sometimes not much going on...I don't know. Anyway, my first solo was supposed to be to Alaska, but people joined me in the end, so it wound up being my first NCL cruise, on the Escape. There was the solo group, of course, but I didn't end up spending that much time with them.

I've done several more since then by myself, and 3 of the 4 (how did this happen?) I have scheduled in 2020 are solo.

Last year (now!), I went on Symphony of the Seas...a few months later, I went on Harmony, but that was with a fairly large-ish family group. Of course, playing with the kids in the pool and having people you can talk to is nice, but I never felt I got to truly "feel" Harmony of the Seas or really take it all in. The group was struggling to stay together through check-in and security, the kids were lagging behind...you were always trying to find someone else while on the ship, or deal with something concerning one of the people in your group. I don't normally eat at the buffet, but it's all the kids wanted, so I was in the buffet a lot, and of course, they also want to eat at like 5:00. Meanwhile, on Symphony, by myself, I got to really get a feel for the place. I could just stop and do nothing, people watch...I could sit and drink for a while without worrying about what other people were doing or wanted me to be doing. I could eat what I want, when I wanted. I could make small talk with other passengers. I could just stand there and watch the ship sail past the Miami beaches without people distracting me. I could make a fool of myself in the nightclub or in a game show without worrying that people I knew would be judging it. 🙂

The only downsides are that when there is something to share, you won't necessarily have someone to share it with (like a funny incident or whatever), but then that's often true in one's daily life--we're often on our own at various times. There's also no one to watch your things, which is one reason I never eat at the buffet when I'm by myself. I'm fine eating alone, but you can request to sit at a shared table if you're worried.

• Like 2

I can not begin to tell you all how very comforting your "stories" and advice are to me.  I wish I could cruise with you all,  you sound wonderful and it is a pleasure to hear your opinions and wisdom!🙂

I am going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😁

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I can not begin to tell you all how very comforting your "stories" and advice are to me.  I wish I could cruise with you all,  you sound wonderful and it is a pleasure to hear your opinions and wisdom!🙂

I am going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😁

So happy we both decided to go!!  I keep telling myself.....get out there girl, it's a cruise not triple bypass.  Have a great cruise and maybe one day we'll be on the same ship!!

• Like 1

I did a 49 day South America Cruise on the Royal Princess, my second ever cruise.  My first one I went with a group from the Rec Center I go to (an exercise class) I hated it because of the "group" I was with.  Thank God I hadn't "roomed" with anyone and had the room all to myself.  After sorting out that my dislike was not because of the cruise or ship but the folks I had chosen to cruise with.  I booked the S.A. cruise 12 months out with the understanding if I didn't start to feel comfortable with what I was getting ready to do, I would cancel before final payment.  I'm glad I didn't cancel and went.  I had a blast.  I had became a Certified Group Exercise Instructor within that year and was able to teach a Chair Aerobics class, my speciality, on the cruise.  No payment, it was open to anyone who wanted to join in and I made friends with the Cruise Director, the Port Expert and a lot of other cruisers.  I had a BLAST!  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BJs mom said:

So happy we both decided to go!!  I keep telling myself.....get out there girl, it's a cruise not triple bypass.  Have a great cruise and maybe one day we'll be on the same ship!!

So true, and that would be great if we were on the same ship!

• Like 1

"It's a cruise, not a triple bypass"  I Love it.  

Too bad in this culture people have to be so sad or scared to do a vacation alone. Yes, there are a few disadvantages to it, as some people have mentioned, but the benefits outweigh the downside.  You can really RELAX, meet others if you want, and maybe get to know yourself more in the process.  I have done a few solo cruises and enjoyed them.

Judyrem:  It is also very common to second guess our vacation plans, no matter what. Right now I have a solo back to back booked, Med and then transatlantic, and if you think I havent had second thoughts about it......well, I think everyone does depending on your mood at the moment, finances, etc.....

You also have the pub crawl and cabin crawl (which is really fun) and you are going to snorkel, so don't worry! You will meet people, possible friends for life. I enjoy snorkeling too.

Happy 2020 to all, and happy travels.

JoseyP

Edited by JoseyP
  • Like 2

This is what I did in the buffet to save a table for myself. I always took a jacket with me and put it on the back of the chair. I also picked up a cappuccino at the International Cafe or used my travel coffee mug and left them on the table. Then, I went and got my food. My table was waiting for me after I got my food. 

I don't normally want to eat in the buffet, anyway, so I don't fight it too hard. I was on a cruise once where we set our things down on a table and went to get in line, and a busperson had whisked it all away when we returned. The buffet line was like half an hour long, very badly managed, and he figured it'd been there so long, it'd been forgotten.

9 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I have an eight day solo for the first time on Feb 1, and I am having second thoughts!  I was actually willing to lose money and not go!

Oh no don't miss it!!!  Specially if you're an avid snorkeler.  The ABC islands are a paradise for divers and snorkelers.  Heck, Bonaire is such an amazing snorkelling place that you can literally walk off the ship, walk 100ft and jump in the ocean and snorkel right there. (no I'm not kidding!  I did it!)

I attached a few underwater photos I took literally next to the ship when I was there last year hoping it encourages you to go!

I'm sailing the NCL Breakaway solo again next week and I'll be snorkeling and scuba diving in every port.  I am FAR from being a social guy, but I always meet people and make new friends on solo cruises.

Pat

2018-01-24 11-39-46.JPG

2018-01-24 11-50-40.JPG

2018-01-24 12-01-12.JPG

2018-01-24 12-33-56.JPG

2018-01-24 12-50-25.JPG

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pat.D said:

Oh no don't miss it!!!  Specially if you're an avid snorkeler.  The ABC islands are a paradise for divers and snorkelers.  Heck, Bonaire is such an amazing snorkelling place that you can literally walk off the ship, walk 100ft and jump in the ocean and snorkel right there. (no I'm not kidding!  I did it!)

I attached a few underwater photos I took literally next to the ship when I was there last year hoping it encourages you to go!

I'm sailing the NCL Breakaway solo again next week and I'll be snorkeling and scuba diving in every port.  I am FAR from being a social guy, but I always meet people and make new friends on solo cruises.

Pat

2018-01-24 11-39-46.JPG

2018-01-24 11-50-40.JPG

2018-01-24 12-01-12.JPG

2018-01-24 12-33-56.JPG

2018-01-24 12-50-25.JPG

OMG I love your pics!  I was a cerified diver but have not been diving in quite a while, so snorkeling has become my love now.

Those pics help a lot, thanks!

• Like 1

I'm sailing the NCL Breakaway next week (Jan 11) for an 11 nights east and west Caribbean cruise solo.

I booked it "last minute" 2 days ago when the price dropped like a rock and the stars all aligned (price drop, enough points for a free flight, a week off at work...).  This will by my 5th solo cruise in the last year  (Feb: Carnival Vista, Mar: NCL Bliss, Sept: NCL Breakaway, Nov RCCL Symphony OTS and next week Breakaway again).

Wheeee! :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I was a cerified diver but have not been diving in quite a while, so snorkeling has become my love now.

I don't know if you know this, but your Royal Caribbean ship does have a PADI dive shop with instructors on board.  They certify new divers, but they also have the Re-Activate program for certified divers who have not dived in too long.  The ABC islands are a really nice place to dive and or snorkel.  Snorkelling is specially spectacular in Bonaire, the marine park is stunning.

Also, though nobody is as well organised for solo cruisers as NCL (they have it down to a science!), RCCL are getting better.  In november on the Symphony OTS the solo cruisers meetup were very well attended.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotThePest_Too said:

I did a 49 day South America Cruise on the Royal Princess, my second ever cruise.  My first one I went with a group from the Rec Center I go to (an exercise class) I hated it because of the "group" I was with.  Thank God I hadn't "roomed" with anyone and had the room all to myself.  After sorting out that my dislike was not because of the cruise or ship but the folks I had chosen to cruise with.  I booked the S.A. cruise 12 months out with the understanding if I didn't start to feel comfortable with what I was getting ready to do, I would cancel before final payment.  I'm glad I didn't cancel and went.  I had a blast.  I had became a Certified Group Exercise Instructor within that year and was able to teach a Chair Aerobics class, my speciality, on the cruise.  No payment, it was open to anyone who wanted to join in and I made friends with the Cruise Director, the Port Expert and a lot of other cruisers.  I had a BLAST!  

Hi Ramona!  Happy New Year!  Your story is very good for people to hear. I remember when you went on that cruise.....in Feb or March. It is great that you discovered the first cruise wasnt so hot because of the people you chose to go with, not cruising itself.  Then you bravely booked the South America one.

Again, all the best for 2020!

another Brooklyn girl.  JoseyP

1 hour ago, Pat.D said:

Pat

2018-01-24 11-39-46.JPG

2018-01-24 11-50-40.JPG

2018-01-24 12-01-12.JPG

2018-01-24 12-33-56.JPG

2018-01-24 12-50-25.JPG

Your pictures are gorgeous;  thanks for sharing them. Amazing how much is under there!

Edited by JoseyP
  • Like 1