Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Cunard Queen Mary 2. Like many of you I have had cruises cancelled in 2020 and 2021. My July 2021 was a west bound TransAtlantic from Hamburg to NYC calling at Southampton and Le Havre. It got canceled and I already had a nine day west bound booked from Hamburg to NYC for August 2022. My wonderful Travel Agent had gotten me $2000. obc for this year, but I had only $400 for 2022. I asked my T/A to call Cunard and see if they would move the OBC from 2021 to 2022. I offered to pay in full now if they did. They accepted.

This will be my fourth Solo on Queen Mary 2. I have sailed on Cunard 18 times and on Queen Mary 2, 15 so I am in the top loyalty tier. I have always booked Queens Grill, so dining is always at the same table at the time I wish. In 2019. I sailed from Southampton to Hamburg and then Back to NYC via Southampton and Le Havre. On the Southampton to Southampton leg, I was joined by two British friends. We were at a table for four. On the rest of the trip I was solo at a table for two. There were three tables in close proximity, so I got to know the diners at those tables too, but could come and go on my own schedule. Solo dining worked out perfectly for me. 

In 2022, I decided to book the eastbound Southampton to Hamburg voyage calling at Zeebruge and Rotterdam. Prior to the westbound to NYC. To get the cabin category I wanted I had to book the Southampton to Southampton 9 day voyage. It over laps with my west bound Hamburg to NYC voyage and I hoped that Cunard would allow me to book Southampton to Hamburg, and they could sell the Hamburg to Southampton as a 'short break'. So far they haven't agreed, so I have two separate overlapping voyages. For the Hamburg to Southampton leg, I will be half/solo in two cabins. I still hope I can get them to see an opportunity in taking back one cabin for two days. That is to be seen.

I am at an age where the voyage is the name of the game. Fortunately over my life I have traveled extensively internationally and seeing new far flung places hold little interest. But 9 or in my case 16 days of being pampered, eating great food. meeting new friends and partaking of the great speakers that Cunard has is a battery re-charger for me. Even spending a few hours in the sun on the balcony with a good book from QM2 very well equipped library is worth the time and effort. 

Traveling with family or friends can be fun, but traveling alone with no responsibilities is just as nice. 

• Like 1

Adventure of the Seas, Royal Caribbean January 31, 2022

This will be my first solo cruise. My best friend and I (platonic) used to cruise together, but she is in a relationship these days and unavailable. So, I'm trying the solo route. I have always enjoyed dining with and meeting new people on cruises, but I have no problem at all dining alone. I enjoy the cruise dining experience too much to even consider staying in my cabin and settling for room service. Hopefully, I will enjoy solo cruising since I've already booked two additional cruises after this one. 😁

• Like 2

@choose2cruz Howdy! Not on the same sailing as you, but I'll also be going on my first solo cruise on the Adventure of the Seas on November this year! Also probably planning to book 2 more Royal Caribbean cruises for next year to take advantage of their awesome double loyalty points promotion that's going on right now! 😄

Did you end up booking one of the 5 solo cabins, or a regular cabin for your January cruise? I just learned that solo cruises in regular cabins earn double loyalty points (so...4x the normal amount for the interior and ocean view rooms I believe, and even more for balcony and up!) 🤯

@Ramona_Flowers Hey! No, I booked a regular cabin for the January cruise. But the other two I have booked, one on Norwegian and the other on Celebrity, I booked solos. Really looking forward to trying the Celebrity Edge single stateroom with infinite veranda. Didn't know that about the double loyalty points for solos on Royal Caribbean. This will be my first cruise with them but might look at another one with those bonus loyalty points. If my passport comes through in time, I'd love doing an October or November cruise. Hope you enjoy enjoy yours!

Edited by choose2cruz

@Ramona_Flowers, @choose2cruz

You guys are speaking my language! I'm also a brand new solo cruiser. I'm currently in Nassau and will be boarding the Adventure of the Seas at 12 noon today! I originally booked a regular balcony stateroom but I put in a "Royal Up" bid and RCI accepted my bid and upgraded me to a spacious balcony stateroom (for only $60, no less). Btw, I didn't know Adventure of the Seas even had solo (studio) cabins. I didn't think they had studio cabins on these somewhat older ships.

And, wrt Celebrity Edge, I'm booked in a Single Infinite Veranda (SIV) on her Oct 2-9, 2021. I'll let you know how the SIV experience on Celebrity was. Ironically, the Edge was here in Nassau yesterday and I got to watch her depart (outbound) from Junkanoo Beach;

20210716_165022.jpg

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, MorganClark said:

@Ramona_Flowers, @choose2cruz

You guys are speaking my language! I'm also a brand new solo cruiser. I'm currently in Nassau and will be boarding the Adventure of the Seas at 12 noon today! I originally booked a regular balcony stateroom but I put in a "Royal Up" bid and RCI accepted my bid and upgraded me to a spacious balcony stateroom (for only $60, no less). Btw, I didn't know Adventure of the Seas even had solo (studio) cabins. I didn't think they had studio cabins on these somewhat older ships.

And, wrt Celebrity Edge, I'm booked in a Single Infinite Veranda (SIV) on her Oct 2-9, 2021. I'll let you know how the SIV experience on Celebrity was. Ironically, the Edge was here in Nassau yesterday and I got to watch her depart (outbound) from Junkanoo Beach;

20210716_165022.jpg

I am boarding the Edge today in a solo Infinite Balcony. I’ll take some pics and post here how it all goes! First time on celebrity.

elaine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IamAlyce said:

I am boarding the Edge today in a solo Infinite Balcony. I’ll take some pics and post here how it all goes! First time on celebrity.

elaine

Edge was in Nassau yesterday and I managed to snag a couple of pics of her;

20210716_165022.jpg

20210716_155502.jpg

Thanks for reporting back on the Single Infinite Veranda experience. Are you doing the E. or W. Caribbean?

Edited by MorganClark

On 6/27/2021 at 4:06 PM, coastcat said:

Regarding NCL - there is a staff-hosted solo gathering every day. It’s not limited to ships with solo cabins! If there is sufficient interest, the host will arrange a reserved table & time at one of the MDRs. They may also set up group outings to evening shows. The gatherings would also be an opportunity to connect with others and perhaps arrange group dinners at the specialty restaurants. 

Thanks for the information.  That will make it easier.  This will be my first time traveling solo in a long time and this will be my first time on NCL.  I will be on the Norwegian Jade for the 9 Day Greek Isles on March 30, 2022 and the Norwegian Prima for the 10 day Norwegian Fjords on September 13, 2022.

3 hours ago, dianew138 said:

Thanks for the information.  That will make it easier.  This will be my first time traveling solo in a long time and this will be my first time on NCL.  I will be on the Norwegian Jade for the 9 Day Greek Isles on March 30, 2022 and the Norwegian Prima for the 10 day Norwegian Fjords on September 13, 2022.

Take good care of Prima. I’ll be on the September 23, 2022 transatlantic sailing!

• Like 2

I've updated my plans for solo cruising 2021, 2022, and 2023.

10/23-30/2021 Celebrity Edge Single Infinite Veranda - 7 day Eastern Caribbean R/T Ft. Lauderdale

08/14-21/2022 Cunard Queen Victoria Inside - 7 day The Fjords R/T Southampton

10/17-26/2023 NCL Getaway Solo - 9 day Baltic w/overnight St. Petersburg R/T Copenhagen

• Like 1

i just found this discussion group on CC.  Recently, I booked my first solo cruise for Nov. 6-18 on Zuiderdam (Sea of Cortez).  I can’t wait!  

I’m also booked on Oct. 6 2022 for 34 days on Noordam (San Diego to Sydney).  I am remaining optimistic that Australia and NZ open up by then…. fingers crossed! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AJain said:

i just found this discussion group on CC.  Recently, I booked my first solo cruise for Nov. 6-18 on Zuiderdam (Sea of Cortez).  I can’t wait!  

I’m also booked on Oct. 6 2022 for 34 days on Noordam (San Diego to Sydney).  I am remaining optimistic that Australia and NZ open up by then…. fingers crossed! 

As an often-time cruiser on both ships as well as a solo, you will enjoy both ships.  The Taco Bar next to the indoor pool provided my nacho fix almost every day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJain said:

Thank you, I have been on a HAL cruise before, but not these ships.  But I somehow missed the taco bar.  A nacho fix is always welcome, along with a margarita! 

Is HAL "solo-friendly"? And if yes, how so? (i.e. studio cabins).

8 hours ago, MorganClark said:

Is HAL "solo-friendly"? And if yes, how so? (i.e. studio cabins).

I think they are (sail solo with them pretty often), though not as good as NCL with meet ups and dining (they have an onboard host who coordinates daily singles/solos activities) and maybe not by cabin standards (only two ships, to my knowledge, have studio/single cabins: Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam, which is ok with me, because I don't really like them).
Still, Holland does make an effort.  More so than Royal or Carnival, for sure.

I pulled my last two HAL cruise folders (one Alaska; one Caribbean).  Both had the hosted luncheon on the first sea day, making it easy to meet and recognize others during the sailing, and evening lounge meet ups either day of sailing or the next night.
I remember on the Caribbean sailing some of us got together to play trivia one evening and then kind of took over the lounge afterwards -- was nice.

• Thanks 1

This is an excerpt from a CC article, which maybe helpful:

Holland America Line is renowned for catering to solo cruisers. There are plenty of programs that don't require partners, and activities that can be delightfully solitary or a means to meeting others. (The culinary programs, from hands-on cooking workshops to wine tastings, are tons of fun.) The Single Partners Program, available on most voyages, offers hosted onboard solo traveler events like cocktail mixers and games, too. Singles are invited to dine together (by advance request).

The line's biggest and newest ships, Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam, offer 12 solo cabins. The solo cabins are all ocean view and range from 127 to 172 square feet. They feature all of the same amenities of a double-occupancy cabin, but with a twin bed.

• Like 1