How expensive is venice?

Estealvarado

My mom and i will arrive in venice at 11a.m. Were taking a cruise the following day so this will be our only day in venice were staying at the londra palace. How expensive is venice food wise?

I keep reading people saying how super expensive it is to eat in venice. Were not picky eaters and we on buying a few souvenirs . If we bring 100 euros each would that be enough?

You can find varied price food in Venice. A pizza might run €10-€13 for a medium pie or slices for about €3 a pasta entree might be €10-€20 depending on where you are. There are also many places where you can get little appetizers for 1 or 2 € each. Most have menus and prices posted out side. Don't worry much, just don't eat in fancy hotels and check reviews on trip advisor for places in the area you will be in.

I spent 10 days there in February, you can spend alot but you don't have to.

My mom and i will arrive in venice at 11a.m. Were taking a cruise the following day so this will be our only day in venice were staying at the londra palace. How expensive is venice food wise?

I keep reading people saying how super expensive it is to eat in venice. Were not picky eaters and we on buying a few souvenirs . If we bring 100 euros each would that be enough?

You will find if you dont eat at the cafes and restaurants on the grand canal but instead walk along the smaller canals where the locals eat it is a lot cheaper as other posters have said you can spend a lot or a little in Venice we also found just recently that you can but pre packaged salads etc at the supermarkets and also at some of the larger cafes we also found the food in the little pubs dotted through the walkways was a lot cheaper and usually cooked fresh but a more limited menu.

We have visited Venice a few times. It does not have to be as expensive as many make out. Yes, there are some tourist traps and you will pay big bucks at certain hot spots.

We always stay, and eat away from the popular tourist areas. Many have set price meals for 15-20E. Stick with the table wine, don't buy Coca Cola, and perhaps get lunch from a small grocery store.

Some friends who have traveled a lot warned us of extra charges they were not aware of until they got their dinner bill. They were charged for sitting in seats overlooking the grand canal and for the time they happened to eat dinner. They warned us to ask ahead of time what the extra service charges would be. Good advice.

Yep, as the previous poster warned, you can/will be charged like 5 EUR to sit, could also be a 5 EUR charge for a basket of bread (they automatically put on your table and if you eat it the charge is added).

As iancal says, don't order a coke. We paid 6 EUR for plate sized pizza, but then another 6 EUR for a small 10 oz bottle of Coca Cola. Plus the 5 EUR sitting charge so our lunch was 23 EUR pp. That's approximately $30, that's why everyone says Venice is expensive.

We finally ended up looking for sandwiches or pizza and eating as we were walking. Not as enjoyable, but a lot more affordable.

Take half as many clothes as you think you need and twice the money you think you need, and HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Two places to avoid:

Harrys Bar-a bar that some Americans love to flock to in order to spot the odd celebrity. Everything is overpriced and it is nothing special. I guess some people like to see and be seen.

Coffee in Piazza: If you sit down and have coffee and a cake each, listen to the open air orchestra the bill for two people will approximate $45.

Golden rule...do not shy to ask the price of anything. The rip off joints assume that you will not and take advantage of it. Never be afraid to split dishes. It is very common.

Do a bit of research on Trip Advisor what is available in your area.

Look for family Osteria or Trattoria restaurants.

This is what I found for nice food at a reasonable price:

Rialto area: BAR RIALTO DA LOLLO for ciccheti's (small yummy morsels) and other take aways, RIALTO SELF SERVICE a set menu for euro 13, near Rialto: ALFREDO'S fresh pasta take aways.

Then there is also (direction of train station) PANINI LAMPO delicatessen shop 1- 6 euro's and BACARETO DA LELE freshly baked rolls packed with meat.

Does every restaurant charge to sit and eat inside?

No, you only see charges for seats in cafes and bars, and outside the touristy areas, the charge will be small or non-existant.

The earlier post about charging extra for "view" seats in restaurants along the Grand Canal was news to me, because we haven't eaten at a restaurant there. A normal ristorante/trattoria/osteria shouldn't charge you extra for sitting down to eat.

Thabk you so much so i guess if we just keep walking through the diffrent walk ways away from st.marks square the prices should be pretty reasonable?

We are also staying at the Londra Palace later this month and have visited Venice a couple of times. As you walk from the hotel towards St. Marks, take the first or second right and if you walk for several blocks you will stumble on a nice cafe (small canal on one side). They were very affordable and a pleasant place to eat as well. Not too touristy, no surprise charges and they spoke English.

When are you going? We'll be there on the 18th and could send better instructions if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there for two days post cruise to go to the Biannale and it really wasn't that bad if you're willing to walk around. I actually didn't get caught at a single place that charged to sit. Drink charges do add up and wine is as cheap as water which is great if you're a wine drinker (unfortunately I am not).

We also stopped in at the Coop (grocery store) to get snacks and drinks for our day there pre-cruise which is the most economical way to get around. My SIL got got wine there for the boat. She loved it and it was dirt cheap!

It's not just Venice where you may incur a "seating" charge. If there is a standup or sit option at a bar/cafe, you will most likely be charged extra if you sit. It's not to rip off tourists, but just the way it is. You'll see plenty of little spots with panini in the windows - buy one that looks good to you, get it to go or stand at the counter. It's a good way to do lunch! Just know that, if you do want to sit, it's going to cost you ;)

The best advice is to ASK about extra charges before you order or before you accept any food you did not order (bread), bottled water. Also follow the advice to eat away from the Grand Canal. We had great food and wine and did not pay any more than we would have paid in other cities.

Our experience in Venice over three trips has been the same. Stay away for the hotels and restaurants in the tourist sections and you will find that the price for accommodation and food is perhaps 10-20 percent higher than in certain other areas of Italy.

We never bother with places where all we hear is English and where the menu is written in 5 different languages. That is not what we are looking for.

We never bother with places where all we hear is English and where the menu is written in 5 different languages. That is not what we are looking for.

Well said! :) We have found that the food in these places is generally of poor quality.

Archived