Looking for advice...

GadgetRick

Thanks. I'm in E94. They're assuring me it's two beds with two bunk beds. I guess I'll find out in a few days...

I agree that the rep should have explained to you the bed situation. But you state that nowhere was this information available to you. With all due respect, that's just not true. Carnival discloses this right on their website. In fact your very cabin (as well as all the balcony rooms on that ship I believe) says this in the description:

Choose your room: Select Your Room E94.

This room includes: Two twin beds (convert to king) and two uppers. Desk and seat. Full bathroom with shower. 3 closets. Private balcony with patio chairs and table. Twin beds do not convert to king when both uppers in use.

You ask why you weren't informed. You weren't informed because this is how cruise ships do it. You need room to pass in the night. They don't want someone to trip and break a leg or bang their head. You need room to get off your bed without climbing over your wife. (I can just see the lawsuits if the space isn't maximized and someone trips!)

What's funny about that is that I had almost this same set-up on Inspiration. They had our two lower beds put together coming from the right wall. Then lowered the upper bunk coming from the left wall, over our feet, blocking our path around the bed without ducking and walking under the bunk. We chose to keep it up and have our daughter just sleep with us, but I think I would have understood it better if they DIDN'T put the two beds together, because it really made no sense that they thought this would be a good idea... As much as we kept it up so not to feel so closed in, I just KNEW I would be the one to walk right into it going to the bathroom in the middle of the night!!!

Yes, you should have been told that the beds don't go together. The guy had to know that you were a family and not just friends that didn't want the beds together, but in any event it is what it is and there's not much you can do about it now so make the best of it. When you get to the cabin talk with your steward and see if something can be arragned. Can the beds be moved together if the bunks aren't opened? Can they not be moved together just to accomodate the ladder for the bunk? If that's the case then you can probably get the kids up there without the ladders. You might need to get in the beds creatively, but something will work out. And I would call CCL and explain to them that you are disappointed with the set up and see if they can get you on some sort of waitlist for a different balcony cabin. If that doesn't work out before you sail, once you get on the ship you can also try the hotel manager to see if someone no-showed or missed the ship to see if you can move into their cabin. Doesn't hurt to ask.

That's exactly what I've done--spoken with them twice about it. I also plan to speak with them when we get to the ship on Saturday.

OK...people....

Most of us have been on a few cruises....and many with more than 2 people in a cabin.

Has anyone ever been told by the representative that the beds "do or don't" go together without asking specifically during the booking process?

You ask why you weren't informed. You weren't informed because this is how cruise ships do it. You need room to pass in the night. They don't want someone to trip and break a leg or bang their head. You need room to get off your bed without climbing over your wife. (I can just see the lawsuits if the space isn't maximized and someone trips!)

When you book, do they inform you what you need to wear on "elegant night"? Or that you'll need to attend the muster drill? No and no. There are lots of things that they don't inform you about.

It's your job, as the consumer, to ask what's important to you.

Sorry to sound harsh...but you are making a big deal about nothing.

Well, sorry to sound harsh but, how would you expect me to ask about something I had no idea I had to ask??? It is on THEM to educate me. Hard to ask about stuff you have no idea about.

This is very different than having them inform me about the attire requirements.

Also, I was VERY clear we are a FAMILY, not just buddies. So you're wrong on this one, they should have informed me about this ahead of time. Even the woman I spoke with on the phone earlier today said this (without me saying it first).

But, they didn't book as "a couple". They booked as a family. I would agree if it was just the 2 of them...but they need space for 4.

I never said they don't need the room. However, I should have been told this at the time of booking...especially since it could have been handled better at that time (i.e. I could have gotten a room where we could have slept together with a balcony).

I agree that the rep should have explained to you the bed situation. But you state that nowhere was this information available to you. With all due respect, that's just not true. Carnival discloses this right on their website. In fact your very cabin (as well as all the balcony rooms on that ship I believe) says this in the description:

Choose your room: Select Your Room E94.

This room includes: Two twin beds (convert to king) and two uppers. Desk and seat. Full bathroom with shower. 3 closets. Private balcony with patio chairs and table. Twin beds do not convert to king when both uppers in use.

I never said the info wasn't available. I said I was not informed about this. Again, how would I know to look for this or ask about it having never been on a cruise?

I never said the info wasn't available. I said I was not informed about this. Again, how would I know to look for this or ask about it having never been on a cruise?

Sorry, but you did. See post #10:

Hell, I can't find any concrete information about this cabin online anywhere anyway. Everything about this sort of thing (sleeping arrangements) is all general that I'm finding based on the type of cabin. Yes, it's something I've learned but I only learned by accident at this point.

Well, sorry to sound harsh but, how would you expect me to ask about something I had no idea I had to ask???

Whoops, I need to read the fine print ;(

It probably does have to do with the ladders. Not that that kids would really need them, mine didn't, but it's probably something they have to do.

Go here

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-fascination.aspx

Then click on deck plans, Empress deck, then E94. Gives you the details on the room.

There's a lot to learn with cruising and a ton of ins and outs, do's and dont's, etc....

Not sure at this point you'll be able to do much but enjoy the cruise as best you can.

Sorry, but you did. See post #10:

If you're going to quote me to back up your argument, you should really read it. I said, and I quote, I couldn't find anything concrete about the cabin online. I NEVER said the info wasn't online. There is a difference....

If you're going to quote me to back up your argument, you should really read it. I said, and I quote, I couldn't find anything concrete about the cabin online. I NEVER said the info wasn't online. There is a difference....

You need to take some personal responsibility...and not blame Carnival because you "couldn't find" the information.

How do you know to do anything the first time? You ask questions...about whatever is important. If you wanted them to EDUCATE you, you'd be on the phone for hours and hours...describing everything from embarkation to debarkation.

I had booked a cruise with my 26 year old son. Then I read the description of the cabin...and I canceled the cruise with my 26 year old son.

You know...if you really need to snuggle, start off in one bed...and at some point during the night move to the other. You really can't snuggle comfortably in beds that are pushed together anyway.

You need to take some personal responsibility...and not blame Carnival because you "couldn't find" the information.

How do you know to do anything the first time? You ask questions...about whatever is important. If you wanted them to EDUCATE you, you'd be on the phone for hours and hours...describing everything from embarkation to debarkation.

I had booked a cruise with my 26 year old son. Then I read the description of the cabin...and I canceled the cruise with my 26 year old son.

You know...if you really need to snuggle, start off in one bed...and at some point during the night move to the other. You really can't snuggle comfortably in beds that are pushed together anyway.

I wish I was as smart as you...being able to know EVERYTHING to ask before I've ever done it before. Maybe I'm different but I can't ask questions about things I don't even know require questions.

When I'm talking to someone about something they've never done before, I make the assumption they know nothing about it. Has never done me wrong. I'd expect Carnival--and any other company--to do the same. I do realize there are companies/people who don't care as much as I might though.

To you this all makes TOTAL sense because you've been on multiple cruises. For someone who has never done a cruise before, well, it's ALL new. I guess you were the expert cruiser the first time you took a cruise...

I wish I was as smart as you...being able to know EVERYTHING to ask before I've ever done it before. Maybe I'm different but I can't ask questions about things I don't even know require questions.

To you this all makes TOTAL sense because you've been on multiple cruises. For someone who has never done a cruise before, well, it's ALL new. I guess you were the expert cruiser the first time you took a cruise...

You're absolutely right. You don't know what you don't know....until you know:confused: You don't even know what to ask.

Consider this an adventure and/or a new experience. You're going to make mistakes. Things will not be perfect.

You can't be too rigid when cruising. You can see a lot of frustration here when people get too rigid....chair hogs, clothes others should be wearing, line cutting, missing ports, it goes on and on.

A rule of thumb I told myself when I was a teen seeing old people become so rigid in their routine and lifes expectations.....I will not be like them. I mowed lawns for a bunch of elderly people and wow, they'd get pissed at the drop of a hat. That's not for me and it's no fun.

You're absolutely right. You don't know what you don't know....until you know:confused: You don't even know what to ask.

Consider this an adventure and/or a new experience. You're going to make mistakes. Things will not be perfect.

You can't be too rigid when cruising. You can see a lot of frustration here when people get too rigid....chair hogs, clothes others should be wearing, line cutting, missing ports, it goes on and on.

I'll power through it.

I appreciate all of you who have tried to help with suggestions, etc. rather than pointing the finger and telling me why I should have known. At least that has been helpful unlike the other people....

When I'm talking to someone about something they've never done before, I make the assumption they know nothing about it. Has never done me wrong. I'd expect Carnival--and any other company--to do the same. I do realize there are companies/people who don't care as much as I might though.

Not at all...I overpaid (way overpaid) the first time...but I didn't blame Carnival because they didn't explain "prices could go down".

I just assumed the price was the price...no matter when you booked.

Not at all...I overpaid (way overpaid) the first time...but I didn't blame Carnival because they didn't explain "prices could go down".

I just assumed the price was the price...no matter when you booked.

Different example...again.

At least others around here have actually tried to help me rather than just tell me how stupid I am for not knowing something.

Different example...again.

At least others around here have actually tried to help me rather than just tell me how stupid I am for not knowing something.

No...never said you were stupid; you just inferred it because I pointed out that the information was there.

However, I said that you need to take personal responsibility instead of blaming Carnival.

My example is no different than yours..."I didn't know". I wasn't stupid, just uninformed.

I think you are very nice for doing this for your wife.

You can knock your head against the wall or enjoy your cruise......:)

I hope you "get over this" and enjoy!

No...never said you were stupid; you just inferred it because I pointed out that the information was there.

However, I said that you need to take personal responsibility instead of blaming Carnival.

My example is no different than yours..."I didn't know". I wasn't stupid, just uninformed.

I think you are very nice for doing this for your wife.

You can knock your head against the wall or enjoy your cruise......:)

I hope you "get over this" and enjoy!

You did more than point out information is there. And no, it's not the same thing at all.

You keep pointing your finger at me and (essentially) insulting me. Oh wait, you sort of apologized before you did.

We had a room for 5 on the Carnival Magic on a 12 day Med. Cruise that was listed that the twin beds couldn't be put together, however, once we got there we talked to the room attendant and came up with a solution because my husband and I wanted to sleep together just like you. The two twins were put together and we just didn't use both of the ladders for the upper bunks. I had to watch my head as one of the uppers was right over my head and got stepped on in the middle of the night a couple of times when my kids got up to go to the bathroom but it worked. We gave up room to walk around for a sleeping arrangement that worked for us. The kids loved getting to walk on the bed to get around and get up to the upper bunks. We weren't in our room a whole lot and just made the best of it.

I hope you can work something out. I agree with you this sucks and a Carnival rep worth anything should have pointed this out when you booked.

Just a thought based on the ages of your boys - and it may not be viable but wanted to throw it out - could they share the upper bunk and make an adventure out of it? Then you could put the two beds together? As someone who can't sleep without my husband next to me, I feel your frustration OP.

Just a thought based on the ages of your boys - and it may not be viable but wanted to throw it out - could they share the upper bunk and make an adventure out of it? Then you could put the two beds together? As someone who can't sleep without my husband next to me, I feel your frustration OP.

Funny you mention that. I was thinking the same thing. My boys are not big kids at all. That may just work out.

Hi GadgetRick - I understand your frustration and feel bad for you. When booking my first cruise I really had no idea what I was in for either.

With 3 cruises under my belt (all on the Fascination), I feel that I am still learning the ins & outs.

All I can tell you is this - the crew on the Fascination are outstanding, amazing & fantastic.. ! I am sure that they will do whatever they can to make your vacation a wonderful experience.

I hope that you all have a great time and when you get back, if you get a chance, please let us know how everything went.. :D

Hi GadgetRick - I understand your frustration and feel bad for you. When booking my first cruise I really had no idea what I was in for either.

With 3 cruises under my belt (all on the Fascination), I feel that I am still learning the ins & outs.

All I can tell you is this - the crew on the Fascination are outstanding, amazing & fantastic.. ! I am sure that they will do whatever they can to make your vacation a wonderful experience.

I hope that you all have a great time and when you get back, if you get a chance, please let us know how everything went.. :D

Good to know. We live here in Jacksonville so I figured it was convenient for our first cruise. I've read good things about the ship (overall) so I'm hopeful we'll enjoy ourselves.

Talk with your room steward, he/she will help. Ask for an egg crate and "make" a spot for the boys on the floor - they can be "camping". They are young and also might fit together well in one bunk. You will have fun, after all it's your first cruise. By the way - there is plenty of alone time to be had - Camp Carnival is your new best friend!

We have cruised with our daughter since she was 8 - now, she brings a friend along and they have their own cabin next to ours - she just turned 20. For Christmas we gave up our originally booked suite and room across the hall for two adjoining balconies .... we will have a blast! Can't wait...

The other thing you could do is "negotiate" a suite if one is available with the upsell folks... might be too late but worth a try.

I had to chuckle when I read this because I was thinking the opposite..my husband and I shared a twin.. LOL.

We had 2 insides with our 4 children. All four in one with bunks and my husband and I in another inside with 2 twins. The first night our twins weren't pushed together. We figured we'd deal with it later in the evening when we talked with our steward. But when we all came back for bed later our youngest, she was 8 at the time, didn't want to stay in the cabin with our older children. 20, 18 & 17. She wanted to stay with us. So, she took one twin and my husband and I slept in the other. We just left them apart for the week. Yeah, we definitely snuggled every night! No biggie...

Funny you mention that. I was thinking the same thing. My boys are not big kids at all. That may just work out.

From what you said, sounds like that'll work great...As long as they aren't the type to turn it into a game of "who can push who on top of mom & dad first" :D

Please write a review when you get back - would love to see another one for the Fascination - and have a fantastic first cruise!

Archived