Looking for advice...

GadgetRick

I had to chuckle when I read this because I was thinking the opposite..my husband and I shared a twin.. LOL.

We had 2 insides with our 4 children. All four in one with bunks and my husband and I in another inside with 2 twins. The first night our twins weren't pushed together. We figured we'd deal with it later in the evening when we talked with our steward. But when we all came back for bed later our youngest, she was 8 at the time, didn't want to stay in the cabin with our older children. 20, 18 & 17. She wanted to stay with us. So, she took one twin and my husband and I slept in the other. We just left them apart for the week. Yeah, we definitely snuggled every night! No biggie...

LOL not to hijack the OP but your post cracked me up as that was actually my first thought reading this - when my husband and I first were dating he'd just moved back to town and was sleeping on a lower twin bunk (the top one was used for storage) ~ we had some amazingly fun nights - if we were in this situation we might just be fighting the boys for the bunk bed! :)

I had to chuckle when I read this because I was thinking the opposite..my husband and I shared a twin.. LOL.

LOL! That couldn't happen. My wife is small and petite, I'm big (I lift a lot of weights) and, well, not petite. :)

LOL! That couldn't happen. My wife is small and petite, I'm big (I lift a lot of weights) and, well, not petite. :)

Well, to be honest, that was in my thinner years! ;) My husband is a runner..so he is always thinner than me..LOL

OK...people....

Most of us have been on a few cruises....and many with more than 2 people in a cabin.

Has anyone ever been told by the representative that the beds "do or don't" go together without asking specifically during the booking process?

You ask why you weren't informed. You weren't informed because this is how cruise ships do it. You need room to pass in the night. They don't want someone to trip and break a leg or bang their head. You need room to get off your bed without climbing over your wife. (I can just see the lawsuits if the space isn't maximized and someone trips!)

When you book, do they inform you what you need to wear on "elegant night"? Or that you'll need to attend the muster drill? No and no. There are lots of things that they don't inform you about.

It's your job, as the consumer, to ask what's important to you.

Sorry to sound harsh...but you are making a big deal about nothing.

I would never have thought to ask this question. I would have never guessed that there were rooms that the beds could not be moved. The op isn't being rude, just simply stating he feels they should have told him. I don't know why people here feel the need to place blame on him or use the you should have known lecture.

How would he have ever known to ask this type of question? People here assume everyone comes to cc to research every detail before booking or cruising.

Simply answer is yes they should have told him being it was clear it was a couple and two kids. But no he shouldn't let it ruin his vacation.

Thanks. I'm in E94. They're assuring me it's two beds with two bunk beds. I guess I'll find out in a few days...

Yes, E94 is two twins w/two uppers...IMHO, just snuggle up w/the DW in one the twins

Yes, E94 is two twins w/two uppers...IMHO, just snuggle up w/the DW in one the twins

Wish it were possible. A twin is actually small for me. I'm a big dude as I've lifted weights for 20+ years. Although, if we'd fit I'd have no problem with that. A double is tight for us (we have a king at home), can't imagine a twin.

I wouldn't have thought to ask either. We have only been on one cruise, and I just assumed we would have our beds together. When I fist booked our cruise guy asked if a trundle bed was ok. I assumed it was like a regular trundle bed that I have seen under day beds. When I upgraded the room the person I spoke with told me that it was a smaller sized bed and that my 18 year old step son would probably be very uncomfortable. I thought at the time that we should have been told that it would be a smaller bed. But it ended up fine, he had a pull down bunk that he said was very comfy. This was in a OV on the Inspiration.

On a funny note, the first night of my honeymoon, 17 years ago, was spent on two twin mattresses on the FLOOR. We stayed in a cheap hotel in Cabo San Lucas for two nights before going to our timeshare condo. I don't recall exactly how the room was described (this was before the internet was so prevalent and could do research). When we got there, the room was beautiful, right on the water, spacious. Then I realized that it was two twin beds against adjoining walls. No biggie, we'll put them together. Nope, they were actually stone platforms, integrated into each wall!!!

We did try to get another room with a king, but nothing available.

We just laughed and came home telling the story how our first night of our honeymoon was booked in separeate twin beds :)

We had a room for 5 on the Carnival Magic on a 12 day Med. Cruise that was listed that the twin beds couldn't be put together, however, once we got there we talked to the room attendant and came up with a solution because my husband and I wanted to sleep together just like you. The two twins were put together and we just didn't use both of the ladders for the upper bunks. I had to watch my head as one of the uppers was right over my head and got stepped on in the middle of the night a couple of times when my kids got up to go to the bathroom but it worked. We gave up room to walk around for a sleeping arrangement that worked for us. The kids loved getting to walk on the bed to get around and get up to the upper bunks. We weren't in our room a whole lot and just made the best of it.

I hope you can work something out. I agree with you this sucks and a Carnival rep worth anything should have pointed this out when you booked.

I had a cabin like this also but since there were 5 girls I wanted the king bed separated into singles. Our steward said it couldn't be done - so when he left we moved them ourselves. It could be done he just didn't want to. We had to work around the ladders - no biggie. So hopefully your room can be reconfigured - even if you had to do it yourself.

I think Carnival did a poor job helping you get what you needed. I am also baffled why people expect newbies to know all the right questions to ask. SMDH

Have them put only one bunk down and the two beds together. Your boys seem to be of the age where they can sleep together like a slumber party one facing each way. the bunks are pretty long. The two beds together make a king size bed.. This may work for you if all else fails. ;)

Have them put only one bunk down and the two beds together. Your boys seem to be of the age where they can sleep together like a slumber party one facing each way. the bunks are pretty long. The two beds together make a king size bed.. This may work for you if all else fails. ;)

If that's the case that will work just fine. :)

I would never have thought to ask this question. I would have never guessed that there were rooms that the beds could not be moved. The op isn't being rude, just simply stating he feels they should have told him. I don't know why people here feel the need to place blame on him or use the you should have known lecture.

How would he have ever known to ask this type of question? People here assume everyone comes to cc to research every detail before booking or cruising.

Simply answer is yes they should have told him being it was clear it was a couple and two kids. But no he shouldn't let it ruin his vacation.

Respectfully disagree. The PVP actually should NOT be making any assumptions about how anybody wants their sleeping arrangements (there are a million and one different kinds of relationships - not anybody's business.).

The OP has not said he ever told the PVP that they must have a king, he only assumed that they could. There are (unfortunately) lots of things the PVP's don't even KNOW...we booked a 4J on the Victory and according to the deck plan legend the twins could not be made into a king. Both we and our PVP accepted this as correct; why wouldn't we? It was here on CC that I happened onto a post by somebody else that had bought the same cabin and by chance had posted pictures of it with the beds TOGETHER!! When I got back to my PVP with it he was surprised and had to go with the "official" information Carnival provided. Sure enough when we boarded the steward was quickly able to "king" the twins. OP's situation may be exactly like this also.

And OP, as far as expectations go, I'd caution against getting the kids excited about sharing a bunk until you actually SEE them. It might work for you, it might not. You're at a real disadvantage here because you've never been on a ship before and don't really know what you're dealing with. There are apt to be quite a few things that aren't the way you expected them to be. I hope you all have a great trip.

Question....Did you look at the deck plans before you booked the cabin? It shows the cabin configuration and whether or not the beds can be pushed together.

Thanks again.

I certainly don't feel like everything is wrong. Just feel I should have been notified of this before it became a problem.

Question....Did you look at the deck plans before you booked the cabin? It shows the cabin configuration and whether or not the beds can be pushed together.

I did not because I had no idea it was going to be an issue. Had I known, this would be a non-issue as it would have been taken care of back in April when I booked it...when there were plenty of cabins left.

Ok...Thanks for the quick response.

I did not because I had no idea it was going to be an issue. Had I known, this would be a non-issue as it would have been taken care of back in April when I booked it...when there were plenty of cabins left.

We sailed the Fascination in November, me, DH and our two DSs. The cabins are very, very small comared to other ships we have been on. We had a balcony and our DSs had an inside across the hall from us. If they are unable to connect the beds and you don't feel comfortable about the kids being in another cabin, then I would just leave it as it is. We sailed all 4 of us to a cabin on the Dream, but it was different as the cabin was much bigger-we had a sofa that turned into a bed and there was a bed that pulled from the ceiling over top the sofa.

I mean, if the upgrade isn't too much, maybe you should do that? IDK, good luck through, once you go crusing you will love it!

We sailed the Fascination in November, me, DH and our two DSs. The cabins are very, very small comared to other ships we have been on. We had a balcony and our DSs had an inside across the hall from us. If they are unable to connect the beds and you don't feel comfortable about the kids being in another cabin, then I would just leave it as it is. We sailed all 4 of us to a cabin on the Dream, but it was different as the cabin was much bigger-we had a sofa that turned into a bed and there was a bed that pulled from the ceiling over top the sofa.

I mean, if the upgrade isn't too much, maybe you should do that? IDK, good luck through, once you go crusing you will love it!

Actually inquired about an upgrade, unfortunately, none are available.

Thanks.

OP, sorry if folks have been rude to you here. I truly understand your frustration. You must have gotten an inexperienced Carnival booking rep the first time you called. I think many of us understand why you're upset and agree that you should have been told the configuration of the cabin at the time when you booked. When you look at the deck plans online you can see that there are some rooms where they clearly state the beds cannot be put together so the Carnival rep should have been fully aware. I think most of us here feel for you and just wish that you will have such a great time on the cruise overall that the sleeping issue will turn out to be minor for you and your wife. And if you decide that you really enjoy cruising, which pretty much everyone here does, perhaps you and your wife can do a cruise without the kids sometime.

OP, sorry if folks have been rude to you here. I truly understand your frustration. You must have gotten an inexperienced Carnival booking rep the first time you called. I think many of us understand why you're upset and agree that you should have been told the configuration of the cabin at the time when you booked. When you look at the deck plans online you can see that there are some rooms where they clearly state the beds cannot be put together so the Carnival rep should have been fully aware. I think most of us here feel for you and just wish that you will have such a great time on the cruise overall that the sleeping issue will turn out to be minor for you and your wife. And if you decide that you really enjoy cruising, which pretty much everyone here does, perhaps you and your wife can do a cruise without the kids sometime.

Thanks. I'm sure we'll have fun no matter what.

I won't beat the horse any longer, it's pretty dead. :)

OP while I understand your frustration, I guess I just don't understand why you would allow it to taint your vacation. Yeah, I get it, you and the wife have always slept in the same bed...but it's such a short period of time in the overall scheme of life that I don't understand why you are STILL so upset. Hubby and I have slept in the same bed for 20 years and on those rare bizarre moments that we can't...well we just move on.

That's my advice to you...move on with this one....get over this minor issue and have a great time! Unfortunately the person you spoke with at Carnival is a human being and human beings are fallible....he didn't do it maliciously or to ruin your vacation...don't let it....have a wonderful cruise, enjoy your family and cuddle a little more when you get home ;)

I understand why you would be frustrated. I've been married 37 years and want to sleep with my DH. Would it RUIN my cruise? No, but it would sure take away alot of enjoyment.

You being a first time cruiser I also understand that there are a lot of questions you wouldn't even think to ask. Cruising is a different animal.

I'd still call carnival a couple of times a day. Be nice and polite and maybe something will happen. Never hurts to try.

Good luck.

I agree that with the above poster that Carnival representatives should not make assumptions about anyone's sleeping arrangements. Asking, not asking... it is all awkward.

I do sympathize with the OP and understand the disappointment. He sees it as a "mistake" and I respect his opinion. My impression is that he is a devoted husband and father. I hope he can find a resolution that is satisfactory and I'm betting they have a wonderful family cruise. PLEASE COME BACK AND POST A REVIEW! :)

OP, I understand your frustration, but when it comes to spending thousands of dollars on something new and complicated, I'm surprised you didn't take it on yourself to educate yourself. There are so many variables in cabins - not just the bed layout, but the location, whether it is above or below a noisy area, front or aft .... Who knows what is important to another?

I spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out the variables, from looking at deckplans, to reading reviews. I still do the same everytime I book a new ship, and even more so when I try a different cruise line.

Again, I understand your frustration, but I think your anger is over the top. With a minimum of effort you could have done the homework and avoided the problem.

My suggestion (which echoes almost everyone who has replied) is just to let it go at this point. You will have a great time. You most likely will be able to arrange a way for the youngest to sleep on the floor, and then use the King formation.

But if you plan on bringing up the issue when you board (other than enlisting the help of your cabin steward), your anger will ruin that first day's experience. Let it go, enjoy the Fascination, she's a great ship.

Archived