Looking for advice...

GadgetRick

It's short notice but I just found out about all of this. We're sailing this Saturday on Fascination. Anyway, here's the deal....

Ok, need some advice from you veterans.

I spoke with one of the guys who had called me about an upgrade a few days ago. He informed me our room (balcony) is such that we will be unable to put two beds together so my wife and I can sleep together because our two boys are coming along.

Now, at the time, I looked online and it looked as though he was just trying to sell me the upgrade. I had to call in today to ask a question and something in the back of my mind told me to ask about this.

The woman on the phone confirmed this is the case. Now, I have to tell you, I'm quite pissed at the moment. I was very clear with the guy I booked with initially that I was taking my wife as a surprise for her birthday and that this was the first time we've ever cruised. I also asked a bunch of dumb questions. So it was obvious I wouldn't have even known to ask about this. Why on Earth I wasn't informed about this when I booked it is beyond me.

I expressed my frustration to the lady on the phone and after a little dance, she put me on hold then came back and told me she could get me two rooms (not connected but next to each other) but just ocean view at no extra cost. Now, I'd actually consider this even though I really wanted the balcony (obviously paid a premium for it) for my wife (and myself), however, our boys are 10 and 7. I'm ok with the 10 year old being there without us but not the 7 year old.

When I explained this to the woman she told me that's all they can do.

Now, I'm not the kind of guy who flies off at the handle and demands free stuff when something goes a little wrong. However, I believe they REALLY should do something for us in this situation. First of all, I was CLEAR this was me and my family, second of all, I was CLEAR it was our first attempt at cruising. If I were someone who's done it before, I'd understand a little more but I feel this is inexcusable.

I'm looking for advice from you all to see what I may be able to do and/or should do. I'm pretty much pissed off right now.

Well I guess I don't understand why you care about the beds being together if the kids will be in the room anyhow? But I'm not sure about the arrangement. I'm in a quad on Dream next week and have no idea if our beds go together. But it really won't matter.

That being said if you want alone time then go for the non-balcony. 2 cabins for the same price seems like a good deal. We don't go on the balcony much. There are plenty of balcony areas outside your cabin to relax on a lounger. You can keep the kids with you until bedtime. They will be wiped out after a long day anyhow so you just spend a little time in their cabin until they sleep.

If the beds are together perhaps it means the ladders have to be at the end of a bunk bed. The whole cabin is only 185 s.f. the same size as a inside cabin. It probably means no floor space at night with the beds together, not that they wouldnt go together.

Without seeing the cabin I am guessing.

Try calling the Guest Solutions Department at Carnival...800 438 6744 or e-mail them at iCare at carnival dot com. They helped me with a question. Maybe they can help you. Good luck and have fun cruising whatever the outcome is!!

Well I guess I don't understand why you care about the beds being together if the kids will be in the room anyhow? But I'm not sure about the arrangement. I'm in a quad on Dream next week and have no idea if our beds go together. But it really won't matter.

That being said if you want alone time then go for the non-balcony. 2 cabins for the same price seems like a good deal. We don't go on the balcony much. There are plenty of balcony areas outside your cabin to relax on a lounger. You can keep the kids with you until bedtime. They will be wiped out after a long day anyhow so you just spend a little time in their cabin until they sleep.

Not a question about alone time we just like to sleep together. Have always done so.

Try calling the Guest Solutions Department at Carnival...800 438 6744 or e-mail them at iCare at carnival dot com. They helped me with a question. Maybe they can help you. Good luck and have fun cruising whatever the outcome is!!

Thanks. That's the number I believe I called.

If the beds are together perhaps it means the ladders have to be at the end of a bunk bed. The whole cabin is only 185 s.f. the same size as a inside cabin. It probably means no floor space at night with the beds together, not that they wouldnt go together.

Without seeing the cabin I am guessing.

Carnival DOES have some cabins that have non-coverting twin beds. I know this because I have been looking for a cruise for my DS, his GF and his 2 young children.

Sorry to hear this. Since we don't know what all was said at the time of your booking, and I have no experience with balcony rooms that are not suites on the smaller ships, I don't know what to say. It's possible that there's no way to have 4 people in those rooms and still be able to put beds together. Also, the person you spoke to initially would be aware of how young your kids were and would not have considered that you'd want them to be in a separate but not connecting room. Perhaps he thought that the balcony was the special thing you most wanted for your wife's surprise and the bed configuration was not as important. But as a first time cruiser you learned a hard lesson about what to ask and also, I hope, how to check out the cabins/deck plans yourself online. I hope there's something Carnival can do for you, but if the ship is sold out, I wouldn't count on it...unless the owner's suite is available. :) But I don't know how far they're willing or able to go for you. I hope you decide to cruise no matter what, because the overall experience will be worth it for your wife and kids. If they can't accommodate you in a cabin that meets all your wish list items, I hope you will be able to let it go and still enjoy your vacation with your family. Good luck to you!

Sorry to hear this. Since we don't know what all was said at the time of your booking, and I have no experience with balcony rooms that are not suites on the smaller ships, I don't know what to say. It's possible that there's no way to have 4 people in those rooms and still be able to put beds together. Also, the person you spoke to initially would be aware of how young your kids were and would not have considered that you'd want them to be in a separate but not connecting room. Perhaps he thought that the balcony was the special thing you most wanted for your wife's surprise and the bed configuration was not as important. But as a first time cruiser you learned a hard lesson about what to ask and also, I hope, how to check out the cabins/deck plans yourself online. I hope there's something Carnival can do for you, but if the ship is sold out, I wouldn't count on it...unless the owner's suite is available. :) But I don't know how far they're willing or able to go for you. I hope you decide to cruise no matter what, because the overall experience will be worth it for your wife and kids. If they can't accommodate you in a cabin that meets all your wish list items, I hope you will be able to let it go and still enjoy your vacation with your family. Good luck to you!

I was very clear with our situation. They know the ages of the children since they have to ask that at booking. This guy screwed up royally.

My biggest problem is I'd have NO IDEA to ask about this. I had NO IDEA it was an issue until I got a call about upgrading. Hell, I can't find any concrete information about this cabin online anywhere anyway. Everything about this sort of thing (sleeping arrangements) is all general that I'm finding based on the type of cabin. Yes, it's something I've learned but I only learned by accident at this point.

They do have balcony cabins which sleep 4 that handle sleeping the way we'd want, there just aren't any available at this time (3 days before sailing).

I'm just pissed I wasn't made aware of this when it could have been dealt with. I had to find out by accident.

I am sorry this happend...but don't let it ruin your trip. I wouldn't give up the balcony, but that is just my feelings. We cruised when our girls were the ages of your boys and I would not sleep well knowing that they were in another cabin. You will have some alone time when the kids are in Camp Carnival but most of the time you will be busy having a great time. We had the type of cabin you are describing and honestly it was fine....I actually remember sleeping great in my own bed!!;)

Not a question about alone time we just like to sleep together. Have always done so.

Putting the beds together you have NO floor space. You will be on top of each other all week.

No way would I put my kids that age in a room by themselves.

The rooms are DARk-- extreme dark. What happens if one wakes up in the middle of the night?

Thje cabins are nothing like a hotel room. You are better off keeping the bed seperated- UNDEr the upper beds. you will have much more floor space

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/holtcjane/Cabin%20photos/FantasyM88-2.jpg

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cf39b3127ccef8f08bb3df3700000030O08AZOG7Fy4btwe3nwY/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

it is doable-- dont get me wrong--

But you didnt state what cabin you have -- could it be for 4 people but only 3 beds-- where you would need a roll away. which you will put in the middle of the floor between the two beds.. if that is the case then you can not put the beds together

Putting the beds together you have NO floor space. You will be on top of each other all week.

No way would I put my kids that age in a room by themselves.

The rooms are DARk-- extreme dark. What happens if one wakes up in the middle of the night?

Thje cabins are nothing like a hotel room. You are better off keeping the bed seperated- UNDEr the upper beds. you will have much more floor space

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/holtcjane/Cabin%20photos/FantasyM88-2.jpg

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9cf39b3127ccef8f08bb3df3700000030O08AZOG7Fy4btwe3nwY/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

it is doable-- dont get me wrong--

But you didnt state what cabin you have -- could it be for 4 people but only 3 beds-- where you would need a roll away. which you will put in the middle of the floor between the two beds.. if that is the case then you can not put the beds together

Thanks. I'm in E94. They're assuring me it's two beds with two bunk beds. I guess I'll find out in a few days...

You "assumed" that a ship cabin is like a hotel. It isn't. Space is limited and furnishings are flexible, based on the "number of bodies" that occupy it.

In general...I would say that when there are more than 2 in a room, the bed configuration design is based "utility of space available" and not for honeymooners.

In any case, even if the beds were next to each other, it's not like one kingsize mattress. You'd still feel the separation and not want to "sleep in the middle".

Calm down and enjoy your trip!

Thanks. I'm in E94. They're assuring me it's two beds with two bunk beds. I guess I'll find out in a few days...

yes, it has 4 beds total-- so that works.

you have a balcony-- which you can escape to when the little one may be napping-- good thing.

you will all be tuckered at night. (especially if this is a first cruise-- so much excitment. so much to see and do-- you will fall asleep very quickly.

this is stressing the small stuff. focus on enjoying your family and making the best cruise possible.

sometimes the small disappointments can escalate making EVERYTHING seem wrong

here is a cabin for 2

here is a cabin with one bunk opened-- cant imagine where the second upper bed will go...

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab147/Naomi_John1968/Fasinatiom%202013/IMG_0057.jpg

this is how large your balcony will be

http://beyondships.com/images/6_balcony_balcony.jpg

You "assumed" that a ship cabin is like a hotel. It isn't. Space is limited and furnishings are flexible, based on the "number of bodies" that occupy it.

In general...I would say that when there are more than 2 in a room, the bed configuration design is based "utility of space available" and not for honeymooners.

In any case, even if the beds were next to each other, it's not like one kingsize mattress. You'd still feel the separation and not want to "sleep in the middle".

Calm down and enjoy your trip!

Actually, no, I didn't assume it was like a hotel. And no, we don't want to be, "honeymooners," just sleep together.

No matter how you look at it. The guy from Carnival who sold me this screwed up. He should have explained this to me.

yes, it has 4 beds total-- so that works.

you have a balcony-- which you can escape to when the little one may be napping-- good thing.

you will all be tuckered at night. (especially if this is a first cruise-- so much excitment. so much to see and do-- you will fall asleep very quickly.

this is stressing the small stuff. focus on enjoying your family and making the best cruise possible.

sometimes the small disappointments can escalate making EVERYTHING seem wrong

here is a cabin for 2

here is a cabin with one bunk opened-- cant imagine where the second upper bed will go...

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab147/Naomi_John1968/Fasinatiom%202013/IMG_0057.jpg

this is how large your balcony will be

http://beyondships.com/images/6_balcony_balcony.jpg

Thanks again.

I certainly don't feel like everything is wrong. Just feel I should have been notified of this before it became a problem.

Thanks again.

I certainly don't feel like everything is wrong. Just feel I should have been notified of this before it became a problem.

No, not yet-- but little things tend to snow ball as time goes on

I agree that you should have been made aware--- and also note that newer ships are not set up like this-- only ths class ship (shorter cruises)

ok, its Tuesday-- wallow in the disappointment-- Ill give you til Thursday.

As far as I can tell, here's the deal with that cabin - there are two "upper" beds that come down from the ceiling or wall, on the two sides.

Your two twins on the floor would have to come from one of those sides, hence, one upper would be over your head, and the other would be over your feet. Technically to them, you can't do that, as you wouldn't be able to move in the cabin.

THat said, last year we have an oceanview on the Inspiration, with an upper that came down over the foot of our bed. They saw this as "okay". (picture the king bed coming from the right wall, and you could walk around the foot of the bed to get to the window. BUT, the upper came down at about my eye level (I'm 5'1"). Now, no way to walk around unless you bent over and walked under the upper bunk.

Truly, if they're willing to do THAT in a cabin, I don't see how much more different it would be to go ahead and keep the lower bed there and pull the other upper down also.

They may not want to, and claim fire hazard (which I guess it could be) but you might be able to get your steward to do it.

On the other hand, I know that you've been expecting to sleep together, but truly if you can deal with it, having the lower beds under the upper bunks would give you more living space.

(In our cabin, we chose to keep that upper bunk UP, and have my 9 year old daughter sleep with us, just so that we could at least walk around. But truth be told, I would have preferred to separate our lower beds and have more space).

Good luck either way!!!!!

I hope I was able to explain a little better why they are saying what they are. (but like I said, if they are willing to pull our bunk over the end of the bed, I don't technically see the problem with also pulling down the other. )

Please don't let it ruin your cruise!!!

ETA: I was still writing this when the links were posted above.

Yes, you should have been told that the beds don't go together. The guy had to know that you were a family and not just friends that didn't want the beds together, but in any event it is what it is and there's not much you can do about it now so make the best of it. When you get to the cabin talk with your steward and see if something can be arragned. Can the beds be moved together if the bunks aren't opened? Can they not be moved together just to accomodate the ladder for the bunk? If that's the case then you can probably get the kids up there without the ladders. You might need to get in the beds creatively, but something will work out. And I would call CCL and explain to them that you are disappointed with the set up and see if they can get you on some sort of waitlist for a different balcony cabin. If that doesn't work out before you sail, once you get on the ship you can also try the hotel manager to see if someone no-showed or missed the ship to see if you can move into their cabin. Doesn't hurt to ask.

. And I would call CCL and explain to them that you are disappointed with the set up and see if they can get you on some sort of waitlist for a different balcony cabin. If that doesn't work out before you sail, once you get on the ship you can also try the hotel manager to see if someone no-showed or missed the ship to see if you can move into their cabin. Doesn't hurt to ask.

the problems is-- this class of ship can not accomadate the 4 people to sleep together in a balcony cabin. (balcony cabins were an after thought after the ships were built and on the seas for a long time.

if they went back into an oceanview room-- it might be able to be pulled off

Actually, no, I didn't assume it was like a hotel. And no, we don't want to be, "honeymooners," just sleep together.

No matter how you look at it. The guy from Carnival who sold me this screwed up. He should have explained this to me.

I agree with you - he knew he was booking a couple, and if the bed didn;t convert he should not have put you there. I would be mad.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you

OK...people....

Most of us have been on a few cruises....and many with more than 2 people in a cabin.

Has anyone ever been told by the representative that the beds "do or don't" go together without asking specifically during the booking process?

You ask why you weren't informed. You weren't informed because this is how cruise ships do it. You need room to pass in the night. They don't want someone to trip and break a leg or bang their head. You need room to get off your bed without climbing over your wife. (I can just see the lawsuits if the space isn't maximized and someone trips!)

When you book, do they inform you what you need to wear on "elegant night"? Or that you'll need to attend the muster drill? No and no. There are lots of things that they don't inform you about.

It's your job, as the consumer, to ask what's important to you.

Sorry to sound harsh...but you are making a big deal about nothing.

I agree with you - he knew he was booking a couple, and if the bed didn;t convert he should not have put you there. I would be mad.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you

But, they didn't book as "a couple". They booked as a family. I would agree if it was just the 2 of them...but they need space for 4.

Out of 30 cruises we have never been told whether the beds go together or not or in some cases that they don't split when travelling with a friend. We learnt to ask the questions each time before picking the cabin.

When travelling with the kids we found that if we put 4 in a cabin we had to get one with a sofa bed to prevent the adult bed being split as 2 bunks mean they can't be put together in many cabins

I know what the OP means as my husband and I struggle to sleep in single beds and we don't want to spend our nights not being able to snuggle up to sleep but in this account I would take the present cabin set up to keep the balcony

Sorry that it won'r be perfect but you need to enjoy yourself and make sure that you don't let it spoil what will be a great vacation

Archived