Travel Insurance

DEWEYWIS

New to traveling... new to cruising... Would like to hear from others about Oceania's travel insurance plan. Should I shop around for less expensive, AAA for instance? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am told that I must decide by final payment date... this week!

New to traveling... new to cruising... Would like to hear from others about Oceania's travel insurance plan. Should I shop around for less expensive, AAA for instance? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am told that I must decide by final payment date... this week!

suggest you do a search on CC as there are a few threads about this - I take it you are in the USA as you mention AAA

Just make sure it covers cruises as a medivac is expensive

I think you will get different answers to your question. Our experience ... we used to purchase a polcy through our travel agent but found the task increasingly troublesome. Specifically, the insurer kept changing their product (policies). Last time we used the insurance offfered by Oceania. Probably a bit costlier but very easy to purchase. The major difference was in the level of coverage for medical evacuation. Thankfully we have never had to use any of the coverage in any of the policies.

You may want to look into Medjet insurance. It covers you 365 days a year around the world and in the US. It gives us great piece of mind traveling for work throughout the year as well as for pleasure. I believe a family membership, covering both husband and wife is around $365 a year.

My husband and I were extremely pleased with Oceania's cruise insurance claim procedure and payment after he was evacuated from Regatta by Coast Guard helicopter to Dan Diego last December. We submitted our last expense just a month ago and there was no quibbling over anything we submitted throughout. Make sure you understand any exclusions due to pre-existing conditions or non-covered expenses when comparing costs. Never imagined we would use insurance in this way but were certainly happy with the coverage.

I would shop around, but make sure it includes pre-existing conditions. Make sure the company is a AAA+ rating. If you do have a claim, be on top of it, don't wait for them to help you out. We had to cancel a cruise once, it wasn't easy but we got every penny back.

Rick

1. hows your health and age?

2. Are you going on a lot of cruises in the future say 10 year time?

All these determine risk.

I decided about 15 years ago to self insure and I just bank/invest the premium just like the companies do. Over the years it has grown to substantial sums and we never insure. You can too. if your risks are good.

My health insurance is good in any foreign country for emergency. (Kaiser) However this only works if you start with time and health on your side.

Yes get the medevac insurance for out of the country, ( the US Navy and Coast guard as well as other militaries do not charge for evacuation from a ship in an emergency.

Medivac is for being injured in" Kai Fung Foo" which only has a witch doctor, to get you to real medical care.

like insuremytrip.com,etc. to find out best policy and price for YOU. I never get the cruiseline insurance,most times they just give you another cruise,not the money back.Also, if they go bankrupt,et.you re stuck.Prefer to get my own.If you want "cancel for any reason" must get that at TIME OF BOOKING.That costs more,but covers everything.I stick with the major ones,like CSA,Travel Guard,etc.Do check ALL THE DETAILS ahead of time.;)

There are two parts to it, the health insurance, medevac and the cancel the trip part. Some can be cancel for any reason, others just for listed things. You can buy both or just the one you want. There are sights that give you prices and policies to compare from many companies. Just Goggle trip insurance.

like insuremytrip.com,etc. to find out best policy and price for YOU. I never get the cruiseline insurance,most times they just give you another cruise,not the money back.Also, if they go bankrupt,et.you re stuck.Prefer to get my own.If you want "cancel for any reason" must get that at TIME OF BOOKING.That costs more,but covers everything.I stick with the major ones,like CSA,Travel Guard,etc.Do check ALL THE DETAILS ahead of time.;)

Also look at tripinsurancestore.com. Very good site, offers many different policies and carriers, has excellent explanations.

Please, please take the advice of the posters and use comparison web sites such as insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com to filter out which provider will be the best for your specific needs.

Also, if you are cruising or traveling internationally, be sure to find out what your current health insurance coverage provides in the areas and modes you will be traveling. You may be surprised (as we were) that once out of the country, we have very, very little health coverage. In our case we bought both medical evac coverage (as suggested by HawaiiDan) as well as coverage for medical treatment. Didn't need it, thankfully, but it was great peace of mind especially on a long trip.

The insurance comparison websites allow you to set specific parameters germane to your situation, such as whether you need certain types of coverage and the amounts you want. You will quickly be able to find the best issuer and type of coverage for your needs, along with comparing premiums between the top two or three choices.

The sites will also reveal to you the quality rating of the insurance carrier that actually backs the policy. This is important, because the insurance company actually underwriting the risk on your policy is the one you want to be certain is in good financial shape. Thanks to the Internet and these comparison websites, it's easy to find good suppliers.

Also do search the CC forums for Travel Insurance discussions if you have time; there are lots of them and you may find it informative. Good luck.

We have always used insuremytrip.com to find the companies best suited to our needs. Just plug in the information as to you, traveling companion, number of days, etc. and up will pop dozens of insurance companies from which to choose. Compare all of them and to Oceania's insurance to get the best coverage at the best price. I will now look at the tripinsurancestore for our next cruise. Arlene;)

Some travel health insurance companies offer an annual plan. As many trips as you want each year but each trip cannot be longer than a certain number of days. Ours is 30 days. You can top up if your trip is longer. Useful that you are automatically covered for those shorter trips each year, trips that you should get insurance for but don't bother!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We always get travel and medical insurance. 5 years ago my wife was medi-vaced off our ship with a gallstone issue. She did 3 days in the hospital. We got back to our city just as the ship docked. The insurance paid all the fees which were well into 5 digits plus First Class Airfare back to the port city in time to make our original flight back home. Can you afford well into 5 digits for a small medical emergency? This is why we always get insurance. And yes we shop around to various agencies.

We always get it too, however the prexsisting condition clause is a sticking point for me. I take high blood pressure meds and from what it says seems like the fine print can cause you not to be covered. To get a policy that includes them is a problem. I am wondering if the Affordable Care Act will include this type of insurance as it disallows that to be a factor.

I get insurance for cruises from our ta. Price is competitive.

We once were stranded in Atlanta during the great snow storm and missed our South American cruise but lost nothing. Insurance paid

I like using the ta so I have an advocate with clout if the insurance company gives me a hard time. ThAt is in fact what happened when we missed our cruise. It was clearly covered. We submitted documents. Deny first. Lol

For land trips we use imsuremytrip

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Read the fine print no matter what insurance company you use

This year was the first time for a claim other than medical & no problem once all the paperwork was submitted

Refund in 3 wks ..we used Global Excel here in Canada but I see they also have a USA office

It isn't just your own age and health that often comes into the picture - if you have elderly parents, or children/grandchildren for whom you would return home in an emergency, insurance is worthwhile (just be sure that is all covered). As someone said above, also be sure you know what your own insurance covers or doesn't wherever you are going.

We have travel medical insurance, would never travel without it, especially in the US. Ours is rolled into our extended health coverage, so we don't need to buy specially for a trip.

The big deal is cancellation insurance. We have always bought insurance for our cruises, although every time I'm tempted to say "no". Never have needed to make any kind of claim, but going without it seems like tempting fate.

We have travel medical insurance, would never travel without it, especially in the US. Ours is rolled into our extended health coverage, so we don't need to buy specially for a trip.

The big deal is cancellation insurance. We have always bought insurance for our cruises, although every time I'm tempted to say "no". Never have needed to make any kind of claim, but going without it seems like tempting fate.

I agree Wendy

We have health ins in DH retirement package but we always purchase the trip cancellation

It finally paid off this yr thanks goodness

I am not one to self insure on an Oceania cruise ;)

Lyn

I agree Wendy

We have health ins in DH retirement package but we always purchase the trip cancellation

It finally paid off this yr thanks goodness

I am not one to self insure on an Oceania cruise ;)

Lyn

Hey Lyn, yes, ours is part of DH's retirement package as well--comes in handy wintering in Florida!

Hope the fact that you had to use your insurance didn't mean something awful happened to you.

In the past, we've usually bought CSA Freestyle. This includes medical as well, but my TA has always explained that that component is trivial -- the trip cancellation/interruption insurance is the biggy.

We don't buy from the company with whom we would have dispute should we need to cancel a trip etc. We, like Wendy, obtain CSA Freestyle through our TA....mostly for evacuation/repatriation and medical coverage.

We did use the medical benefit on our Cape Town-Singapore cruise. Glad to have it as we have a deductible with our medical insurance and with the trip covering Jan/Feb, we of course hadn't met the deductible yet. CSA paid quickly and with little hassle on our part.

Regarding previously existing conditions: CSA covers those as long as your purchase the insurance at time of final payment and that you are fit to travel on the day you purchase it.

Hey Lyn, yes, ours is part of DH's retirement package as well--comes in handy wintering in Florida!

Hope the fact that you had to use your insurance didn't mean something awful happened to you.

I agree about the medical

DH became ill the morning we were to fly out

Afternoon spent in the ER instead of on the flight to Miami

You just never know where & when things will happen

All is well now ...fingers crossed for our next trip ;)

Lyn

Archived