Travel Insurance

DEWEYWIS

Regarding previously existing conditions: CSA covers those as long as your purchase the insurance at time of final payment and that you are fit to travel on the day you purchase it.

The waiver for preexisting conditions applies BUT be careful with what is a preexisting condition that the waiver apples to. Policies vary but if there was a medical test, or one was recommended but it was not taken, or if there was a change to the medication, usually within a 90-180 day period ( depending on the policy) before departure, then it can be excluded.

So just because the policy was purchased within the time period and that everyone covered is stable to travel it does not necessarily mean that the preexisting condition waiver will apply.

Bottom line is to read the policy and speak with a good insurance agent. I would prefer advice from an insurance agent than a travel agents.

There are some good websites with lots of info that try to help navigate this thorny issue. We have had tremendous help from tripinsurancestore

A question earlier was about buying insurance through the cruise line. My understanding is that none of those policies cover supplier default so if they closed up shop while you were in the middle of the Black Sea, you'd have to find your own way home. Ironically CSA Freestyle policy also does not cover supplier default. Travel agents in Canada must pay into a fund to cover their customers for that so not an issue in that case.

Obama Care isn't going to cover anything on a ship much less outside of the USA. Gotta read the 12,000 fine print pages to find that. Only REAL Travel and Medical insurance will cover you on a ship out of the US. There may be some options to personal company insurance that will, but they are few and far between, more fine print here. I'm not a TA or Insurance Salesman but I do have first hand experience with my wife's issue and the $$$ that were paid including the trip interruption of the cruise. Rolled all that into the same cruise the next year, with the same insurance!

Obama Care isn't going to cover anything on a ship much less outside of the USA. Gotta read the 12,000 fine print pages to find that. Only REAL Travel and Medical insurance will cover you on a ship out of the US. There may be some options to personal company insurance that will, but they are few and far between, more fine print here. I'm not a TA or Insurance Salesman but I do have first hand experience with my wife's issue and the $$$ that were paid including the trip interruption of the cruise. Rolled all that into the same cruise the next year, with the same insurance!

I didn't expect them to cover anything, what I was wondering is how the law affects travel insurance in the area of preexisting conditions, if I am correct the law states that regular health insurance can not use them to deny coverage now.

Travel agents in Canada must pay into a fund to cover their customers for that so not an issue in that case.

I'm certain others can clarify, but my understanding is that Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec have the most thorough provincially operated compensation funds.

I'm not certain that the other 7 provinces and territories provide the same protection.

We live in Ontario and TICO only covers you if you purchase from Ontario TA. We use someone from USA for our cruises, so no benefit there for us.

We do not buy travel insurance. We have coverage from cc and work. We self insure for rest. That's thousands in our account. Your comfort level may vary. If I were purchasing it I would buy annually as it is a much better deal.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm certain others can clarify, but my understanding is that Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec have the most thorough provincially operated compensation funds.

I'm not certain that the other 7 provinces and territories provide the same protection.

Yes, thank-you for the correction. The Fund is not federally operated.

I now see that at least some of the States have funds for Agent default such as the California Travel Consumer Restitution Fund that covers up to $15,000

• 2 weeks later...
like insuremytrip.com,etc. to find out best policy and price for YOU. I never get the cruiseline insurance,most times they just give you another cruise,not the money back.Also, if they go bankrupt,et.you re stuck.Prefer to get my own.If you want "cancel for any reason" must get that at TIME OF BOOKING.That costs more,but covers everything.I stick with the major ones,like CSA,Travel Guard,etc.Do check ALL THE DETAILS ahead of time.;)

This is a very timely topic! I find it interesting that the Canadian commentors appear to be mainly concerned about cancellation insurance, while the American commentors are more concerned about medical and evacuation coverage. Says a lot about how our two countries provide health insurance to its citizens! Like HawaiiDan, I'm willing to self-insure for most travel expenses, but evacuation costs in case of a medical emergency exceed my comfort zone.

On prior cruises, we have bought travel insurance through our TA. However, after reading these posts, I went to the two websites mentioned and discovered that I can by a policy for medical and evacuation coverage that is substantially less expensive than comprehensive travel insurance.

Thanks to all for the interesting information,

NC Garden Traveler

We like MedJet (http://medjetassist.com/membership/faq.aspx). We both have very good domestic insurance here in the US via our employers. This service is basically "get you home as fast and safely as possible" no matter where you are (over 150 miles from home). It's not terribly expensive, gets very good reviews, and seems like a legitimate operation. Thankfully we've yet to use it, however I know others who have and it was solid. Check your primary health insurance and make sure it covers you for treatment WHEREVER you are (not just domestically) and if it does, this makes sense. Pre-existing conditions don't apply unless you are over 75... You will be stabilized wherever you are, and can request transfer in said country to a better hospital, and once stable, then they'll transport you, with a nurse if need be, back home to the hospital of your choice.

This is a very timely topic! I find it interesting that the Canadian commentors appear to be mainly concerned about cancellation insurance, while the American commentors are more concerned about medical and evacuation coverage. Says a lot about how our two countries provide health insurance to its citizens!

NC Garden Traveler

Not sure what you mean

In Canada you still need to buy extra out of Country insurance for Medical coverage

In some cases you may need extra for out of Province coverage

If you get sick in another Province ( in our case the limits of the Ontario plan applies) .

so if it were to cost $600 p/d for hospital coverage in B.C.... Ontario will only pay their rate of $400 .

(just an example I do not know the exact rates)

As for self insuring that is a personal choice ...I am not willing to throw away $15,000 + & have no vacation photos to show for it ;)

YMMD

Lyn

We like MedJet (http://medjetassist.com/membership/faq.aspx). We both have very good domestic insurance here in the US via our employers. This service is basically "get you home as fast and safely as possible" no matter where you are (over 150 miles from home). It's not terribly expensive, gets very good reviews, and seems like a legitimate operation. ........

My wife and I are 64 and recently retired. Our next cruise is on Nautica from Beijing to Bangkok in March 2014. We will both be covered by Medicare by then and don't know how Medicare covers international travel. I was looking at the evacuation policy offered by Travel Guard. It includes $50,000 in medical plus evacuation service. The cost is less than one-fifth the cost of a entry-level trip insurance policy and is roughly equal to the MedJet premium for evacuation service only.

If I hadn't stumbled across this thread earlier today, I wouldn't have had a clue about my options.

My wife and I are 64 and recently retired. Our next cruise is on Nautica from Beijing to Bangkok in March 2014. We will both be covered by Medicare by then and don't know how Medicare covers international travel. I was looking at the evacuation policy offered by Travel Guard. It includes $50,000 in medical plus evacuation service. The cost is less than one-fifth the cost of a entry-level trip insurance policy and is roughly equal to the MedJet premium for evacuation service only.

If I hadn't stumbled across this thread earlier today, I wouldn't have had a clue about my options.

Unfortunately, you will NOT be covered by Medicare while out of the U.S. - any treatment or other costs are your own responsibility. Therefore, let me strongly urge you to obtain a policy simply to do that - cover your costs (and hopefully there will be none!) for outside the country.

I say this with experience as while we were on board the Nautica in Asia some years ago, I contracted "walking pneumonia" in China and required many visits to the ship's doctor. Without the coverage I had purchased for international travel, I would have been looking at over $5000 in costs.....

You will have to pay those costs before leaving the ship, but the insurance you hopefully will have purchased will reimburse you .....

Have a safe trip!

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/On-Retirement/2013/05/13/why-medicare-wont-cover-you-overseas

Medicare so far as I understand will NOT cover you oversees for the most part. If you are in, say Uruguay, I don't believe medicare will cover that. I had a friend who played that bet with his 90 year old great grand dad to S. America. It's not been a good run for him and he's still fighting. Anyways - the moral to the story here is : Make sure you are covered for treatment in far away places. If not, consider supplemental insurance. MedJet is simply there as a transport mechanism. And priced as such.

Lyn, Ricky, and CorpKid,

Thanks for the info on how the U.S. and Canada deal with medical insurance for senior travelers. In both countries, it sounds like seniors need to take care of their individual needs although the options may differ. I've been getting lots of advertizing mail about Medicare enrollment, but I haven't given it the attention that it needs (my birthday is still 4 months away).

Like my first post on this thread started out: "This is a very timely topic!"

Lyn, Ricky, and CorpKid,

Thanks for the info on how the U.S. and Canada deal with medical insurance for senior travelers. In both countries, it sounds like seniors need to take care of their individual needs although the options may differ. I've been getting lots of advertizing mail about Medicare enrollment, but I haven't given it the attention that it needs (my birthday is still 4 months away).

Might be a good time to read the info on Medicare ;)

Our health care here does not cover out of Country expenses, in some cases it may cover what Ontario pays but when you see what a hospital visit in the USA costs ours would not make a dent

We always take extra medical & trip cancellation a small price to pay when things go pear shaped

We had to cancel our cruise this year about 3 hrs before our flight to Miami so glad I had the trip cancellation ins

Full refund in 3 wks

Lyn

Thanks everybody.

In the past when we had medical costs (never significant ones, thanks be) our private insurance covered expenses while out of the country.

We just assumed Medicare did the same!

I guess we will have to increase our trip insurance ...

But best to know in advance!

Mura

We definitely believe it imperative to have trip insurance, not thru the cruiseline. We had to cancel our Bermuda trip last year. My then 4 year old grandson had a stroke! We cancelled 2 days prior to our cruise. We got almost all money back minus the original insurance cost. You never can tell what the future holds.

If you just take the straight Medicare there is no out of country coverage however if you enroll in a Medicare Advantage Plan many of them include some sort of out of country coverage., Also when buying trip insurance read the fine print. Their definition of a preexisting condition may cause you to not be covered.

out of the country. And as far as pre-existing is concerned, one year I decided to not get insurance until the last minute and it was a big trip. About two months before the cruise my husband got a earache which took a long time to correct...long. I almost had to cancel as you can't fly with an earache! The doctor released him to travel just before we were to leave! Insurance is very expensive, but important.

Lyn, Ricky, and CorpKid,

Hey David

Nice to see you on board again. Medicare does not cover out of U.S. Jim will start Medicare in Feb. We always buy trip/medical Ins for our cruises. We always go thru Insure my trip or square mouth and have always found costs reasonable. However since Jim turns 65 soon (and of course aging myself) we were in for quite a shock when purchasing for our next two cruises. Costs jumped dramatically. We have pre-existing conditions and to get a waiver for that you must purchase the Ins within a certain number of days after your first payment to cruise (or whatever) line, usually the max is about 21 days. What we have found is to insure the amount of the down payment only then when you pay final contact the Insurer to up your coverage. This way you will be covered for pre-existing no matter what and if you decide to cancel before final payment you will only lose the amount you insured for deposit only not the entire trip cost. Fortunately we have never had to use Ins but many times we have had to alter the actual agreement ie when we switched Alaska cruise for the one to South America where we met you. Hopefully none of us will need this most important coverage. Deb

Make sure to check your specific Medicare Advantage Plan. Know mine covers me outside the US but, don't think all cover travel outside the US.

Better to check it out before you travel to be sure.

Archived