Boarding time in Venice

I am on my first Seabourn cruise in September this year, departing from Venice. In my usual enthusiastic style, some months ago I booked my private water taxi transfers to the ship from my accommodation. Last week I received some preliminary cruise documents and noticed that I have a scheduled check in time of 2.00pm (for a 4.00pm departure). Unfortunately however, I booked the water taxi for a 11.00 pick up!

Will I be able to check in and board around 11.30am/midday, or are the nominated check in times strictly adhered to?

If not, I will re-schedule the water taxi as I'd rather be enjoying Venice than standing around for a few hours waiting for my turn to board.

Thanks!:)

Hi, I don't know the answer to your question but I was able to change my pickup time to 1:30 so maybe you can change yours also? Are you on the Odyssey that leaves on September 21st? We are on that cruise and it is our first Seabourn cruise as well.

Hi, I don't know the answer to your question but I was able to change my pickup time to 1:30 so maybe you can change yours also? Are you on the Odyssey that leaves on September 21st? We are on that cruise and it is our first Seabourn cruise as well.

Yes we are. Aren't you the couple going on the sail boat with us?:confused:

Hi cruising kirby, we sailed on the Spirit on 22nd June out of Venice. We arrived at the port at around 12.30, and after dropping off the luggage and filling in the medical questionnaire, we were allowed to board at 1.30pm. Boarding was not allowed before then.

Have a great cruise!

I am on my first Seabourn cruise in September this year, departing from Venice. In my usual enthusiastic style, some months ago I booked my private water taxi transfers to the ship from my accommodation. Last week I received some preliminary cruise documents and noticed that I have a scheduled check in time of 2.00pm (for a 4.00pm departure). Unfortunately however, I booked the water taxi for a 11.00 pick up!

Will I be able to check in and board around 11.30am/midday, or are the nominated check in times strictly adhered to?

If not, I will re-schedule the water taxi as I'd rather be enjoying Venice than standing around for a few hours waiting for my turn to board.

Thanks!:)

Book the water taxi for noon.

We booked our pre-cruise hotel and transfers through Seabourn for our Med cruise next year. We did that to hold a room and give us time to research and potentially book our own hotel and transfers over the next several months. A TA friend checked the Seabourn hotel we reserved and discovered that "somebody" had blocked a large number of rooms for one or two nights before the cruise. She couldn't or didn't pursue who that "somebody" was but she/we suspect it's probably Seabourn. What I'm more interested in now, in light of this thread and if we stick with Seabourn hotel and transfers, is what time can we expect them to move us to the ship? Are they going to be closer to the 2 PM time? I assume if we stick with Seabourn our documents will tell what time they'll transfer but we don't want to just sit around the hotel waiting and wasting time that we could be using walking around Venice sightseeing.

Always book your own Hotel and transfers then you are in control and not the cruise line.

Also you are not on a bus with a lot of other guests.

Actually we typically do our own arrangements. I think we made the "mistake" once on Holland America and indeed suffered the "cattle call" bus transfer, actually three bus loads from our hotel and it was a mess. A bus obviously is not an issue in Venice but I guess they could load everybody on a larger boat which may be somewhat the same. Our cruise ends in Barcelona and we've already reserved our own hotel, one we stayed in last year that we arranged ourselves, and will use the same limo service to get us from the ship to the hotel and then to the airport a day or two later. As I said, we're still researching and planning and only held the Seabourn hotel/transfers to give us enough time to book our own.

Thanks for the advice on timing of the water taxi departure. I always book my hotels and transfers myself, I like the flexibility it gives me and I am not particularly patient waiting for crowds of people to make their way onto buses etc!

Cruising Kirby, we get off the odyssey that day :( I'll be doing my best to make sure it arrives late :). I'm sure I'll be envying you that day.

Cruising Kirby, we get off the odyssey that day :( I'll be doing my best to make sure it arrives late :). I'm sure I'll be envying you that day.

Ah! Another Australian! Well you look after that ship for me...........If you bring her in late I may hijack a water taxi and board her "Bond style"

Enjoy your cruise, as I am sure you will.

Ah! Another Australian! Well you look after that ship for me...........If you bring her in late I may hijack a water taxi and board her "Bond style"

Enjoy your cruise, as I am sure you will.

Yes I am sure we will. I will try and do reports on here during the cruise as I enjoy others reports and it seems they are welcomed by all. Still trying to work out my SIM cards / wifi etc for Istanbul / cruise / Italy.

Have previously been in/out Venice at main cruise terminal as always on Quest or Odyssey. This time will be on Spirit which leaves from San Basilio. Anyone who's done it advise what time Seabourn start receiving luggage pre-boarding?

Our flight is in around 11am and we plan to get a land taxi to terminal but then want to dump bags and head to a favourite trattoria near the Rialto bridge for lunch before boarding. Believe there is also a left-luggage facility in San Basilio terminal but cannot find any info re opening hours on the Venice Port website.

Anyone know?

Thanks

Have previously been in/out Venice at main cruise terminal as always on Quest or Odyssey. This time will be on Spirit which leaves from San Basilio. Anyone who's done it advise what time Seabourn start receiving luggage pre-boarding?

Our flight is in around 11am and we plan to get a land taxi to terminal but t

hen want to dump bags and head to a favourite trattoria near the Rialto bridge for lunch before boarding. Believe there is also a left-luggage facility in San Basilio terminal but cannot find any info re opening hours on the Venice Port website.

Anyone know?

Thanks

We are also departing from San Basilio in September on the Spirit. She sails at 4pm so I believe everyone has to be aboard by 2.30 according to maritime rules for filing paperwork etc. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, which is entirely possible!!

If you can carry out your plan for lunch (hope you can) if time permits, then, going on last year's experience in Monte Carlo and the Legend, we got there about 11.15am and they took our luggage away but we had to go for a wander around until 12.30pm when they allowed us to board.

We departed Venice on Odyssey last October.

There is so much to see and do in Venice that it is almost a shame to get on-board too early. The day of boarding, we had a leisurely breakfast at the hotel, went to Murano for the morning, wandered about and bought some glassware. Then back to the hotel for a light lunch and our water taxi left for Odyssey at around 1.30pm.

The real shame is not to arrive in Venice a few days early to enjoy all it has to offer.

So right!!!!! We had three wonderful days in Venice before boarding and we only scratched the surface of what it had to offer.

The real shame is not to arrive in Venice a few days early to enjoy all it has to offer.

Agree wripro, however we have stayed in Venice a dozen times or so in the past so know the beautiful city pretty well. The Spirit trip was very much a last minute decision following some successful surgery, and other family commitments mean we cannot fly from UK until the date she leaves.

We are also departing from San Basilio in September on the Spirit. She sails at 4pm so I believe everyone has to be aboard by 2.30 according to maritime rules for filing paperwork etc. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, which is entirely possible!!

If you can carry out your plan for lunch (hope you can) if time permits, then, going on last year's experience in Monte Carlo and the Legend, we got there about 11.15am and they took our luggage away but we had to go for a wander around until 12.30pm when they allowed us to board.

Thanks M. We'll try to remember to let you know what actually happens on our trip.

We too will be leaving from Venice on the Spirit August 24. In checking with our travel agent she found that we can get on board at 12:30 p.m. with advise that all must be checked in by 2:30.

I wholeheartedly agree that Venice is a must stay longer and see more port but we too have been there a number of times before. What is nice however, we will be on a back to back and come back to Venice halfway through the cruise for a two day stay before departing again. I intend to venture out again, get lost in the narrow charming streets and breathe in the delightful Venice. If I get lost, all I do is head for water.

This too was a last minute decision but we wanted to be back on the Spirit before she goes to Windstar. We started on the Spirit years ago and she has a special place in our heart.

Everyone, enjoy their journey. We will.

Thanks M. We'll try to remember to let you know what actually happens on our trip.

When do you sail? Are you doing a 10 nighter with Ancona as the first port, then down to Greece? If so, it will be the same itinerary as ours and we would love to know what you did and where you visited in the ports. Have a great cruise.

Margaret

WE are booked on the 'Spirit' departing on the 13th August and have already

received our tickets . I see we have two conflicting boarding times, one says

12.30p.m.and one says 2.0p.m. We have done this same cruise for the past four

years and do not recall boarding at 12.30 but I am sure we will be on board by 1.0p.m.

Regarding the luggage - when we arrive at the terminal by water taxi it is directly

loaded on to trolleys and the next time we see it is in our room. I have never noticed

a 'left luggage' so I cannot help you on that one.

If they have changed their boarding policy to 11.30/12.0 noon I will let you know when

we return.

Regarding the luggage - when we arrive at the terminal by water taxi it is directly

loaded on to trolleys and the next time we see it is in our room. .

However, do I not note from another thread that you send your bags by LF? So our situation will be slightly different as we take our own.

Our flight is in around 11am and we plan to get a land taxi to terminal but then want to dump bags and head to a favourite trattoria near the Rialto bridge for lunch before boarding. Believe there is also a left-luggage facility in San Basilio terminal but cannot find any info re opening hours on the Venice Port website.

Anyone know?

Thanks

We embarked on Spirit at San Basilio on 2nd July. We arrived by taxi at 12.10. Our luggage was taken from us and we were able to commence the boarding process at 12.30. This was quite slow as the Italian authorities were very exact in screening all passengers and their hand luggage. There was then a further delay as passengers got in line to take a minibus the 300 yards to Spirit blocking the exit for any passengers who would have preferred to walk.

When we boarded we were taken to the Amunsden lounge to register. We were served snacks and drinks then taken to our stateroom at around 2pm

Archived