Boarding time in Venice

Granted Stamfordian has only a short flight from the UK to Venice -- but nonetheless I would never arrive for a cruise the day it sails -- air travel is just too uncertain these days.Fingers crossed!!!

but nonetheless I would never arrive for a cruise the day it sails -- air travel is just too uncertain these days.Fingers crossed!!!

Nor would we usually - however a number of other factors conspired this time. Just hope the fact we are on same British Airways flight that a number of Seabourn-booked passengers will also be on will ensure we can tag on to their coat-tails if anything goes awry...

How very clever of you!And naturally am quite jealous that you can pop off to a Seabourn port with only a two hour flight. Hope it works out. Your flight to Venice takes about the same amount of time as it would for us to fly to Houston. People often forget how big the US is.For instance, did you know that the state of Arizona is larger than all of the UK? Sadly the only place we can board one of the ships in the US, with the exception of the world cruise out of LA, is Fort Lauderdale.

How very clever of you!And naturally am quite jealous that you can pop off to a Seabourn port with only a two hour flight. Hope it works out. Your flight to Venice takes about the same amount of time as it would for us to fly to Houston. People often forget how big the US is.For instance, did you know that the state of Arizona is larger than all of the UK? Sadly the only place we can board one of the ships in the US, with the exception of the world cruise out of LA, is Fort Lauderdale.

A bit jealous here too. We're actually quite happy to have found a series of flights from San Antonio to Venice that will only take us 14 hours of flying time. :) Add in travel time from our house to airport and waiting time for the two connections we'll have to make and it'll be more like 22 hours from the time we leave home until feet on ground in Venice.

I just got back from the Venice to Venice Spirit sailing, that commenced on July 13. The officially listed boarding start time was 2:00 PM and my advance call to the Seabourn corporate office confirmed that time. However, when I arrived at 2:00 PM, I got the impression that my wife and I were were among the last to embark on the ship. The process was quick. I do not have any complaints but it does seem odd.

We boarded the Quest in May at Venice. We arrived at 1.30 and seemed to be the last ones! the boarding process was swift. When we got to the Collanade, there were only a few seats left. However, it worked out great as we shared a table with 2 other couples who became our cruise buddies. :)

When do you sail? Are you doing a 10 nighter with Ancona as the first port, then down to Greece? If so, it will be the same itinerary as ours and we would love to know what you did and where you visited in the ports. Have a great cruise.

Margaret

Hi Margaret. Apologies for apparent rudeness in not replying sooner. Have been off doing stuff with family and only now home prepping for our trip. We are on an 11 day itinerary starting 13 August Venice-Triluke Bay-Dubrovnik-Brindisi-Igoumenitsa-Zakynthos-Hvar-Opatija-Ravenna-Venice(o/n). Looks like yours is the next stage so there are actually no overlaps with ours as some people will presumably be doing as 21 day B2B.

Enjoy yours.

Ian

Hi Margaret. Apologies for apparent rudeness in not replying sooner. Have been off doing stuff with family and only now home prepping for our trip. We are on an 11 day itinerary starting 13 August Venice-Triluke Bay-Dubrovnik-Brindisi-Igoumenitsa-Zakynthos-Hvar-Opatija-Ravenna-Venice(o/n). Looks like yours is the next stage so there are actually no overlaps with ours as some people will presumably be doing as 21 day B2B.

Enjoy yours.

Ian

Hi Ian. Oh, enjoy! We have done one or two of your ports. Triluke Bay, we had marina day but we went ashore and walked in the morning. There is a nice path around the headland to the right if the sea is at your back. Opatija we absolutely loved. Again, a wonderful walk around the coastline on a promenade type path with superb views. Go left if the sea is behind you. Ravenna has the most spectacular mosaics we have ever seen. Buy a combined ticket to visit them all - well worth it. The ship docks a fair way out so just get the shuttle in and back. Have a great trip!

Margaret

Granted Stamfordian has only a short flight from the UK to Venice -- but nonetheless I would never arrive for a cruise the day it sails -- air travel is just too uncertain these days.Fingers crossed!!!

Completely agree. I flew from the UK to Venice to join our ship. Unfortunately my suitcase didn't arrive. Fortunately we were overnight in port not leaving to 5pm the next day. We ended up spending, what we thought would be a wonderful day in Venice, in the airport. The flight with my suitcase onboard was due at 1.30pm the following day but was delayed to 3pm. Thankfully suitcase arrived, got it at 3.30 pm and ran for a taxi, big queue. Arrived at the port at 4.25pm, 5 mins before gangway closing. Never ever again. Now I book two days in advance of sailing.

Completely agree. I flew from the UK to Venice to join our ship. Unfortunately my suitcase didn't arrive. Fortunately we were overnight in port not leaving to 5pm the next day. We ended up spending, what we thought would be a wonderful day in Venice, in the airport. The flight with my suitcase onboard was due at 1.30pm the following day but was delayed to 3pm. Thankfully suitcase arrived, got it at 3.30 pm and ran for a taxi, big queue. Arrived at the port at 4.25pm, 5 mins before gangway closing. Never ever again. Now I book two days in advance of sailing.

Poppy - who on earth did you fly with? A reputable airline (by which I even include easyjet) should deliver delayed baggage to where you are - hotel, cruise ship, private address. You should not have to wait at/return to airport and then risk missing ship. If it had failed to arrive, the airline should get it to you at next port of call. I mention easyjet because this happened to us in Barcelona and that's what they did. Has also happened to me previously with BA, Qantas, Emirates, and others.

Poppy - who on earth did you fly with? A reputable airline (by which I even include easyjet) should deliver delayed baggage to where you are - hotel, cruise ship, private address. You should not have to wait at/return to airport and then risk missing ship. If it had failed to arrive, the airline should get it to you at next port of call. I mention easyjet because this happened to us in Barcelona and that's what they did. Has also happened to me previously with BA, Qantas, Emirates, and others.

BMI at the time now British Airways. Think it was 2008 and we did spend time on the phone to the airline trying to track it down but was easier to go to the airport and pick up the suitcase as it arrived in on th next flight. Side note, this was the cruise we met the most wonderful cruise friends ever from Tasmania. We are still in contact over the years and our friendship means more than any lost suitcase.

Yes agree,The airline will do all of the work whilst you sit back enjoying a drink in the only outfit that you have.:)

Yes agree,The airline will do all of the work whilst you sit back enjoying a drink in the only outfit that you have.:)

.......true, so i bought an emergency (awful looking)outfit in Venice with an equally awful price tag. I've learned my lesson and now split our packing 50/50 in each case. Funny thing is, at the lost baggage office in Venice Marco Polo airport you speak through an intercom to a Venetian blind!

Yes, wayward luggage seems to be the Russian roulette of flying -- you never know when your number will come up but you are assured that at some point it will. I always hold my breath when standing at the luggage carousel.And while I have been cross packing for years to minimize the risk that both of us will end up sans clothes if one bags goes astray, sometimes both bags don't make it! Last summer we made it to Switzerland for a hiking trip but both of our bags did not due to a delay and change at Dulles to a flight leaving three hours later than our original.(Wouldn't you think that with THREE hours they could have sorted out the bags?) Luckily our hiking boots were in our carry on bag. It took two days for our bags to catch up with us but we held up buying an overpriced outfit like Poppy because they kept telling us "it will be there in a couple of hours". We were definitely the two most overdressed hikers in Switzerland in our "nice " airplane clothes and hiking boots! When we showed up the third morning in clean clothes our travel companions cheered. morning. ( And to answer the question Ian will pose -- we flew Swiss Air business class .Or were you going to ask instead if our companions cheered because we were no longer in well worn clothes?;) ).Always expect the worst from flying and you won't be disappointed.In fact we have been so conditioned by all of the things that can and do go wrong that when all goes well we are truly surprised.

[quote name='Chairsin']Yes, wayward luggage seems to be the Russian roulette of flying -- you never know when your number will come up but you are assured that at some point it will. I always hold my breath when standing at the luggage carousel.And while I have been cross packing for years to minimize the risk that both of us will end up sans clothes if one bags goes astray, sometimes both bags don't make it! Last summer we made it to Switzerland for a hiking trip but both of our bags did not due to a delay and change at Dulles to a flight leaving three hours later than our original.(Wouldn't you think that with THREE hours they could have sorted out the bags?) Luckily our hiking boots were in our carry on bag. It took two days for our bags to catch up with us but we held up buying an overpriced outfit like Poppy because they kept telling us "it will be there in a couple of hours". We were definitely the two most overdressed hikers in Switzerland in our "nice " airplane clothes and hiking boots! When we showed up the third morning in clean clothes our travel companions cheered. morning. ( And to answer the question Ian will pose -- we flew Swiss Air business class .Or were you going to ask instead if our companions cheered because we were no longer in well worn clothes?;) ).Always expect the worst from flying and you won't be disappointed.In fact we have been so conditioned by all of the things that can and do go wrong that when all goes well we are truly surprised.[/quote]

Don't think we ever saw you cross-dressing...

[quote name='Chairsin']That was Mr. Chairsin

( Just sent you an email -- your bride has been hacked again)[/quote]

Yes - and she's pretty hacked off about it! We've decided to give up on modern technology - phone line still down after major storm last week means alarm system keeps up regular bleeping during the night which have to go and reset every 40 minutes. Back in the "old days" a telephone engineer from the state-owned Post Office Telephones would be round within a day and get it fixed free of charge. Now we have the "global leading technology provider" BT looking after us we have to wait six days after three and a half hours on a call to a call centre in Bangalore and will be charged £99 for the privilege!

And then SWMBO gets hacked for second time in three months, losing all Inbox and Contacts files.

Luddism has many attractions...

Just think how much you will enjoy your cruise in a few weeks!

BTW, I have always been a bit a bit of a Luddite. Don't get me wrong -- there is much about technology I appreciate but as I see it we have become so dependent on it that when something goes wrong with it we become incapacitated. Have you ever been at a cash register when the system has gone down and the clerk was incapable of making change? On the other hand thanks to technology Cruise Critic exists and I have gleaned much useful information for our travels. Oh, and Mr. Chairsin suggests the following solution for the alarm when it bleeps -- throw a shoe at it ( it may not stop bleeping but it will make you feel better).

Archived