Boarding Zuiderdam today

startwin

Dropped my daughter and SIL off at the cruise ship terminal at noon, porters picked up bags, they were directed to check-in...... then they were told that there would be no one allowed to board until 3:30 pm earliest, and no food available onboard until dinner time. All I know is there is some kind of inspection going on. So there are hundreds of pax milling around at Canada Place, not very happy! Anyone know what is going on?

Good grief. I've heard of delays boarding but usually a reason is given. Can't imagine what the problem is and can't understand why they can't feed anyone until dinner time. That really sucks. Let's hope someone can inform us later today.

Oh NO - I hope the worst is over - when we were late boarding they at least offered sandwiches and stuff. We were late because of Noro but that's usually announced.

Makes one wonder about some type of investigation? drugs? passenger missing or even an inspection - but you're in Canada - so it can't be a health inspection I don't thinK?

Oh I do hope the worst is over and you have a FANTASTIC cruise.

If you have a chance please let us know what happened.

I don't get why they wouldn't tell you why the ship would be late boarding?

We had something similar happen the last time we cruised on the Ryndam out of Tampa, FL. The HAL reps met us as we got off the plane and directed us to a hotel in the airport. They had a room where we could check the luggage, and then they set up a buffet for lunch. Then we were directed to the hotel lounge where we were compelled to drink beer and watch football until the ship was ready to board.:D

No food or refreshments offered, just asked to leave the terminal, but they were offered a pass for sightseeing bus. They declined,being from here anyway. When I last talked to them they were in a pub across from the terminal having lunch. They were allowed to leave their carry-ons though, which helps. Shame no HAL reps were there when we dropped them off, we could have just driven them out of there and come back later. Still no idea what the inspection was for, doubtless someone will fill us in later.

Oh NO - I hope the worst is over - when we were late boarding they at least offered sandwiches and stuff. We were late because of Noro but that's usually announced.

Makes one wonder about some type of investigation? drugs? passenger missing or even an inspection - but you're in Canada - so it can't be a health inspection I don't thinK?

Oh I do hope the worst is over and you have a FANTASTIC cruise.

If you have a chance please let us know what happened.

I don't get why they wouldn't tell you why the ship would be late boarding?

A couple of times we have been delayed getting onto a ship because it was being cleaned -- Noro virus.

We were not offered anything -- no food -- no water -- nothing.

And we didn't board until about 3 PM.

No food or refreshments offered, just asked to leave the terminal, but they were offered a pass for sightseeing bus. They declined,being from here anyway. When I last talked to them they were in a pub across from the terminal having lunch. They were allowed to leave their carry-ons though, which helps. Shame no HAL reps were there when we dropped them off, we could have just driven them out of there and come back later. Still no idea what the inspection was for, doubtless someone will fill us in later.

This has to be serious.

When we were unable to board a ship until nearly 3 PM -- we were able to stay in the terminal.

Check your FB messages.

Can your folks check their email? If memory serves me correctly, they sent us an email. We were going to drop off the luggage and go sight seeing until we found the reception.

I can barely read your fine print with my poor eyes.

But I think you mentioned something about e-mails.

Most times we do stay in hotels with free Internet -- but once we leave home I NEVER go on line for anything -- not even e-mails.

And the last couple of cruises we stayed in hotels where we had to buy an Internet package - one hotel was charging $15.95 for 15 minutes!! No thank you.

I can barely read your fine print with my poor eyes.

But I think you mentioned something about e-mails.

Most times we do stay in hotels with free Internet -- but once we leave home I NEVER go on line for anything -- not even e-mails.

And the last couple of cruises we stayed in hotels where we had to buy an Internet package - one hotel was charging $15.95 for 15 minutes!! No thank you.

My eyesight isn't that bad and I can't read it.

My daughter just phoned me from onboard. Sailaway has been postponed until 8 pm. They got on at around 3:30, I saw passengers still boarding at 4:45. They still don't know what's going on, very little food available - only pasta right now in the Lido buffet. But they've had a few drinks, are sitting by the pool.... Vancouver is the most scenic port and it's warm and sunny. If I ever find out what this is all about I will post again.

Looked at the North Vancouver webcam and the Zuiderdam is still there........

Sure hope it isn't something serious......

You're right - that sure looks like her:eek:

My daughter just phoned me from onboard. Sailaway has been postponed until 8 pm. They got on at around 3:30, I saw passengers still boarding at 4:45. They still don't know what's going on, very little food available - only pasta right now in the Lido buffet. But they've had a few drinks, are sitting by the pool.... Vancouver is the most scenic port and it's warm and sunny. If I ever find out what this is all about I will post again.

Thanks for the update.......:)

Only pasta at the Lido? no MDR? That does sound strange. Thanks so much for letting us know. .... do share in the drama when it unfolds if you find out;)

Archived