Insignia

Iwant2BatC

I have been looking at the wonderful itinerary for the World Cruise in 2015. I have never sailed with Oceania and am wondering if anyone can tell me about the Insignia? Is this one of the old Renaissance ships? I have sailed on Azamara and even in the higher category cabins I thought the small bath rooms were marginally acceptable for a 14 day cruise. I can't imagine them for 180 days.

you may want to upgrade to PH if budget can swing it.Or go on one of the newer ones for larger cabin and bath.

Had to do this for Regatta(sister ship) because itinerary was the best,but agree a LONG cruise in such a small cabin(and bathroom) would be rough.;)

I caold do any cabin if I got to be on Insignia for 180 days..it is my dream!!tho I cant do it this year ..

Jancruz1

Thanks for your responses. I have done a bit more research and the Insignia is under lease to Hapag Lloyd and sailing as the Columbus 2 until the end of next year I believe. You wonder how they will take the ship back and get her into shape for a world cruise. As I remember, from Azamara, the only cabins with bathtubs were the foreward and aft PH suites.

Thanks for your responses. I have done a bit more research and the Insignia is under lease to Hapag Lloyd and sailing as the Columbus 2 until the end of next year I believe. You wonder how they will take the ship back and get her into shape for a world cruise. As I remember, from Azamara, the only cabins with bathtubs were the foreward and aft PH suites.

The Azamara ships were the Ren 6 and 7 and they were built without Penthouse suites..the PH were put in AFTER Azamara bought the ships..so the Penthouses on Oceania R ships and A ships are completely different layouts..all PH on Oceania have bathtubs..

Jamncruz1

Thanks for your responses. I have done a bit more research and the Insignia is under lease to Hapag Lloyd and sailing as the Columbus 2 until the end of next year I believe. You wonder how they will take the ship back and get her into shape for a world cruise. ...

No concerns. O will makes sure it is ship-shape. They constantly maintain their ships. It is unusual to see anything worn or threadbare.

I was very impressed on one TA watching the progress as they removed what appeared to be a good hand rail for replacement. The solid teak was fashioned and shaped to fit the curve, and beautifully finished. All done by the on-board crew. They must have excellent workshops for all manner of things below decks.

More to your question, this is as per a post from FDR:

"Insignia, along with Regatta and Nautica, will all be dry docked in 2014 and will all undergo extensive refurbishments. ..."

and Insignia specifically:

"Coincidentally, insignia visited Miami 2 weeks ago and I went aboard for an inspection.

Our German friends have taken very good care of her and she looks exactly the same as she did when we handed them the keys in April. I too feared the smoking smell issue but am pleased to report that I detected none! Seems that HL's guests are as concerned about their health as we all are so very few of them smoke. In any event, we plan on installing/replacing new carpets, curtains, furniture, wallpaper, mattresses, sheets, towels, napkins etc so smoke smell, if any, will absolutely not be an issue"

Just returned from 7 days aboard Regatta after 6 cruises on the larger ships. We wondered what it would be like to adjust. It took about a full day, then it was as natural as if we had not been aboard for so long.

The bathrooms are small, and the showers are narrow, but they have replaced the previous "loose" shower curtain with new ones that are attached at one end and no longer "caress" ;). They are actually more effective than a solid shower door would be.

We were in a Category C2 oceanview cabin, and decided we could be very comfortable for any length cruise. Henceforth, we will only be upgrading to a balcony for very warm weather cruises, and will only go back to a penthouse for lower fare repositioning cruises, only if the weather is fine.

For those who (like me) know they cannot do an around-the-world cruise, I have it on the highest authority that the segments were designed to be better than the segments of other world cruises. That's one of the reasons why the total world cruise is 180 days instead of the more typical 110 - 120 days.

Very pleased to read of the shower curtain replacement.

Sorry for the OT:

Welcome back. I hope your cruise was good and lots of fun. I've been reading of the great weather in Alaska recently and hopefully you were in the right place at the right time (as you often are)

Looking forward to a thread on that cruise even if not a big review.

Hapag Lloyd is taking very good care of their owned as well as chartered vessels and will return the Insignia to the owners in top shape. Food and service are outstanding. No comparison to CCL, NCL, RCL or HAL.

German officers, hotel staff and wait staff. Everyone speaks fluently English but the on board language is German.

We are leaving on the Columbus 2 (Insignia) next Sunday on a 19 day trip from Kiel to Hamburg via Shetlands, Faroer, Iceland, Spitsbergen and Norwegian coast. This is our 2nd trip with Hapag, we sailed the Columbus (smaller, chartered vessel, 400 pass.) from Valparaiso to Papeete with stops at Robinson Crusoe, Easter Island, Pitcairn and Raivavea. Many seadays but excellent trip and outstanding food.

FYI, Columbus 2 is also doing a world trip before she is redelivered to the owners in May next year.

I agree about the small cabin for that long a time.

My wife and I were talking about it tonight, and we agreed that one of us would eventually smother the other in their sleep, being cooped up in the same small cabin for 6 months. :p

Best to book at least a PH in that case.

We would happily enjoy out on deck and with so many interesting ports and things to do on sea days, if nothing else a beverage and a relaxing breath of sea air, I think it would be wonderful.

If only our 'freedom 55' had not aged somewhat.

We are leaving on the Columbus 2 (Insignia) next Sunday on a 19 day trip from Kiel to Hamburg via Shetlands, Faroer, Iceland, Spitsbergen and Norwegian coast.

FYI, Columbus 2 is also doing a world trip before she is redelivered to the owners in May next year.

Sound like a wonderful cruise, sparks247 on, from what I have read many times, a superb cruise line. Shows how important the on-board crew, staff and management is to the overall experience on a well appointed ship.

I assume any posts on them are in the 'other cruise lines' board. Enjoy your cruise 2nd cruise with them. Repeating customers speak well for the provider.

Hapag Lloyd is taking very good care of their owned as well as chartered vessels and will return the Insignia to the owners in top shape. Food and service are outstanding. No comparison to CCL, NCL, RCL or HAL.

German officers, hotel staff and wait staff. Everyone speaks fluently English but the on board language is German.

We are leaving on the Columbus 2 (Insignia) next Sunday on a 19 day trip from Kiel to Hamburg via Shetlands, Faroer, Iceland, Spitsbergen and Norwegian coast. This is our 2nd trip with Hapag, we sailed the Columbus (smaller, chartered vessel, 400 pass.) from Valparaiso to Papeete with stops at Robinson Crusoe, Easter Island, Pitcairn and Raivavea. Many seadays but excellent trip and outstanding food.

Just curious how the food was on the Columbus compared to O and also if you wouldn't mind coming back after you've been on Insignia/Columbus 2 and updating on the food aspect again?

Thanks so much!

Excellent information everyone! Thanks so much. Does anyone know how those cabins on deck 6 are that have obstructed views - ie 6030 and 6033? They seem to have quite a different configuration and I was wondering if their verandahs are larger?

Excellent information everyone! Thanks so much. Does anyone know how those cabins on deck 6 are that have obstructed views - ie 6030 and 6033? They seem to have quite a different configuration and I was wondering if their verandahs are larger?

They have no balconies they are oceanview obstructed by the life rafts

Cat E also small Sq ft then the other Oceanview cabins on deck 3 & 4

The E cat have no sofa & are narrower than the other cabins

Indeed, no verandas, but the only obstruction for those first two cabins, 6030 and 6033, is the davit from which a small zodiac hangs below the nice, large picture window level. If you do not mind the lack of a sofa, and truly spend all your time in public spaces, such as the wonderful library or pool deck they are in a great location by the fore elevators (but no extra noise from the elevators.)

We have been in 6033 on two of our four Oceania cruises taken so far, (we just booked another Riviera cruise today and already had booked Riviera for next May), and they are a great value if you need light but only sleep, change and shower in your cabin.

I did not like the 1 time we had one of those oddball cabins. They were very inconvenient. Never again no matter the price.

I have seen several posts stating that they do not like these 'odd' size cabins. I can understand not liking a small obstructed view stateroom but to me there is little real difference between Cat E and similar.

While they are ~20 sq ft smaller (as published), as LHT28 posts they do not have the sofa and that would closely make up for that 'missing' area. Plus the main space is at the foot of the bed with narrow sides (they *are* narrow) beside it vs the one-way shuffle at the foot of the bed with the main space to one side as in the other cabins. For me this space at the foot of the bed and no 'hallway' to enter the cabin gives the feeling of openness and more space in the main area - not less.

YMMV

Yes, they are a less expensive way to sail on O but the value has been eroding with the steady price increases. The lower level cabins have gone up more (as a %) and perks removed such as on-board booking discount can no longer be used for the lowest level cabins - assume it applies to this category as well.

Still I think the same as CintiPam that these are a very good budget choice to sail on a premium line.

On a slightly related matter, the HL Columbus II which will be Insignia again, failed a CDC inspection with an appalling score of 69 (as reported by Travelcat2 on a different forum)!!!

Of course, this has nothing to do with Oceania per se, but it makes me wonder what HL is doing with the ship to fail the health inspection so badly.

Hapag Lloyd is one of the truly premium/luxury lines, for those that are not familiar with the cruise line

Archived