When Did This Happen?

Kellie Poodle

I had booked myself on a Millenium cruise for March 2014 while on board another ship last October. Went to add the DH onto it last week and was told that I could not have my Captains Club one cabin upgrade (it's an outside cabin) because the new rules say you can't combine OBC for booking on a ship and the Captains Club upgrade. They were taking it away from me, who had the booking, and not applying it to him.

I must have missed the memo. When did this happen?

I did argue that I had booked in 2012 before the "new rule" and had been given the CC upgrade price on the original booking. After waiting for a call back, I did get the CC upgrade price as the booking did precede the new rule.

I never got anything from CC showing rule changes. Can someone point me to them?

What? I just booked a cruise yesterday using my Open Passage purchased on Silhouette March 2012 and I was given my Captain's Club upgrade from a cat 11 to cat 10. The 11 was even a Senior Rate and the 10 wasn't but they still gave it to me and my OBC for booking an Open Passage.

I don't have your answer but curious why you didn't get the 3 category upgrade for booking onboard?

I wanted a particular class of outside cabin because of the location. There was no three category upgrade for that class, only 1.

What? I just booked a cruise yesterday using my Open Passage purchased on Silhouette March 2012 and I was given my Captain's Club upgrade from a cat 11 to cat 10. The 11 was even a Senior Rate and the 10 wasn't but they still gave it to me and my OBC for booking an Open Passage.

That's what they told me on the phone last week. They said it happened early in the year.

I did get senior rates, but I had already changed the single booking to senior and DH is also a senior.

To answer:

"I don't have your answer but curious why you didn't get the 3 category upgrade for booking onboard?"

As regards ocean view cabins, there are only two categories, 7 and 8, on Solstice Class ships. On M-class ships you can go up three categories, but you can't on S-class ships.

I don't know what they might mean for "early in the year". In March, I was able to book on board, get the OBC and the category upgrade and the lower deposit amount -- the three benefits of booking on board.

I'm suspicious that the OP ran into one of those booking agents who goes between lines, and got a Royal deal mixed up with a Celebrity deal, perhaps?

To answer:

"I don't have your answer but curious why you didn't get the 3 category upgrade for booking onboard?"

As regards ocean view cabins, there are only two categories, 7 and 8, on Solstice Class ships. On M-class ships you can go up three categories, but you can't on S-class ships.

I don't know what they might mean for "early in the year". In March, I was able to book on board, get the OBC and the category upgrade and the lower deposit amount -- the three benefits of booking on board.

I'm suspicious that the OP ran into one of those booking agents who goes between lines, and got a Royal deal mixed up with a Celebrity deal, perhaps?

It's a M class ship. I could not get 3 cat upgrade. I went through it with them several times on the initial bookings. They would not give OBC and more than one cat upgrade.

When I added DH I was put on hold while the rep talked to CC. Got nowhere.

I called back CC and was told the same thing, no combining OBC and upgrade, but since I had booked cruise in October 2012 before the phantom change, I got it.

It's a M class ship. I could not get 3 cat upgrade. I went through it with them several times on the initial bookings. They would not give OBC and more than one cat upgrade.

When I added DH I was put on hold while the rep talked to CC. Got nowhere.

I called back CC and was told the same thing, no combining OBC and upgrade, but since I had booked cruise in October 2012 before the phantom change, I got it.

I'm still confused:confused: You can get the CC one Cat upgrade or the Reserved Passage one Cat upgrade but not both. You should have got the upgrade when booking on board. Nothing to do with CC. What am I missing?

Now I'm confused too.

If you booked a reserved passage on board, with a specific stateroom, ocean view, you should have reserved your room and paid a price of a stateroom three categories lower. So if you reserved a cat 4, your price should have been that of a cat 7. You should also have paid only $100 down pp, and OBC for booking on board. This has nothing to do with Captain's Club -- it's an offer made to all passengers who book on board.

If you had just been at home, making a new booking without benefit of a Reserved or Open Passage, you would qualify for a one-category Captain's Club offer. You could reserve a cat 4, and pay a cat 5 price, or reserve a category 5 and pay a category 6 price, and so on.

They are two separate offers.

If the room you wanted didn't have three categories below it, then the 3-category deal wouldn't apply. Say you wanted a specific category 6 room. Then you would have only gotten a 2 cat price upgrade (book cat 6, pay for cat 8).

So, the booking should reflect this -- the category booked, as well as the category paid.

I'm wondering if you already got the category upgrade for booking on board and now are trying to get another one-category upgrade from Captain's Club, which would not be combinable?

As I said, I'm confused.

We have never ever recieved any category upgrade when booking onboard! We always had to pay for the cabin we chose. We did get OBC though. This was in 2012 for a sailing coming September... I am now very confused...:confused:

The category upgrades didn't apply to verandah cabins, only to insides and ocean views. Did you book verandahs?

Even if you booked verandahs, I think that the one-category Captains' Club upgrade should have been applied.

The various 1-2-3 and Pick your Perk and the other promotions like them did have consequences various on-board booking benefits, I think, so that has to be factored in as well.

I wonder if the OP got in on any of those promotions and they cancelled out the on-board booking offers?

The category upgrades didn't apply to verandah cabins, only to insides and ocean views. Did you book verandahs?

Even if you booked verandahs, I think that the one-category Captains' Club upgrade should have been applied.

The various 1-2-3 and Pick your Perk and the other promotions like them did have consequences various on-board booking benefits, I think, so that has to be factored in as well.

I wonder if the OP got in on any of those promotions and they cancelled out the on-board booking offers?

The one category captains club upgrade doesn't apply to verandas. (I know you said this in your first sentence but then changed it in the second :confused:)

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for inside-to-inside or outside-to-outside staterooms, depending on availability. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to Exciting Deals, ChoiceAir® specials, Reduced air, interline, travel agent, Travelzoo, and employee rates, Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Suites, Concierge Class and verandas excluded. Not valid on holiday sailings or Reunion Cruises. Upgrades available from categories 11-4 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®.

If you had just been at home, making a new booking without benefit of a Reserved or Open Passage, you would qualify for a one-category Captain's Club offer. You could reserve a cat 4, and pay a cat 5 price, or reserve a category 5 and pay a category 6 price, and so on.

Not quite right. If at home, even with benefit of an Open Passage you would still not qualify for the up to 3 class upgrade.

This also isn't right. The onboard booking category upgrades do apply to verandahs with multiple grades. However, the captains club booking upgrades do not apply to verandahs.

Never got it.

Mind you, although we leave every year around 12000us$ with our Travel Agent, we have never even recieved as much as a complimentary bottle of wine in our cabin from them...That is Belgium for you :(

I must have missed the memo. When did this happen?

I did argue that I had booked in 2012 before the "new rule" and had been given the CC upgrade price on the original booking. After waiting for a call back, I did get the CC upgrade price as the booking did precede the new rule.

I never got anything from CC showing rule changes. Can someone point me to them?

The latest flyer I can find, from April this year, still refers to the Reserved Passage (onboard booking) combining both OBC and an upgrade.

It seems that the 123 has caused many of the normal benefits to be put on hold. We got the drinks package free but could not get our shareholder OBC because of the free drinks package. We could not get the 1 cabin upgrade either.

The 123 was not combinable with an onboard booking, or shareholder benefits. Understandable though, given they don't combine things generally, and it was their most (potentially) generous offer.

I got the one category upgrade because of the cabin I wanted. This cruise will precede another in a B2B and I wanted to keep the same cabin. I booked it on board a Royal Caribbean ship in October. The agent emailed corporate about the 3 category upgrade and was told that I could not get it along with the OBC for booking on the ship. I even had a copy of the Celebrity Passages discount sheet with me and he copied that and sent it to X as well.

When I got back homer, I called X and argued for the 3 cat. upgrade to no avail. They would not combine the OBC and the discount. The OBC was more than the difference in price, so I gave up fighting.

Believe me, I tried.

I did get the one category upgrade. That was what they were trying to take away when I added another guest to the reservation.

Archived