How I was trying to cruise on MSC. A REAL story step by step in pictures & video.

cruisetrail

Oh, and I forgot to mention the top ship comparing passenger numbers adds "+kids sail free" as though it makes the number even greater. As I'm sure the artist well knew, the kids count is part of the max passenger count, so the numbers given are the same.

There is no change in space utilisation based on how much the passenger paid!

Cruisetrail, you are quite smart. But whose count can we believe? If I go to a TA website, they tell me Divina accomodates over 4300 passengers. So, if we ever sail again on a busy holiday like Christmas, with a full ship including kids, can we assume there will be 4300+ assigned seats in the MDRs for diner?

Wow! My "lecture" about ships capacity (on which I spent an hour) is gone.

OK, back to your question. :)

You should not worry.

MDRs on some ships can be very busy but "not enough seats" - I cannot imagine that.

There will be a solution anyway.

Some Splendida - Divina Restaurants statistics (provided by the cruise line):

Divina

Two-deck MDR (The Black Crab) seats 1,155

Single-deck MDR (aft) (The Villa Rossa) seats 766

Total MDR: 1,921 (x 2 shifts = 3,842)

Total ship capacity: 4,345

4,345 - 3, 842 = 503

BTW the Splendida features the same MDR capacity.

So we have 503 "extra" eaters.

Let's see.

Sailing at full capacity is quite an extreme scenario.

Let's say, 400 extra eaters.

Deduct those with Noro (joke, knocking on wood :)).

Deduct those left in bars until tomorrow.

Deduct those "buffet people".

Deduct those in Yacht Club.

Deduct those who use room service.

Deduct those happened to be in specialty restaurants.

So I believe in real situation MDR capacity will be enough.

Special Holiday cruise?

Well, MR can be more in demand..

But anyway, no reason to worry about seats.

Enjoy your cruise!

Cruisetrail, thanks. But actually, all dinner seating is assigned, so for a (ship full of kids sail free) 4300+, there would have to be 4300+ seated guests at dinner tables. In the case of Divina, the MDRs do not accomodate a full ship.

I've seen reports of passengers boarded a cruise ship with MDR seats still not assigned.

Also note GUAR category of booking.

No problem anyway.

Exactly my point, with assigned dinner seating, all 4300+ guests must have a chair, and even with GUAR, and KSF, without anytime dining in at least one MDR, there will be a shortage of table seating. Been there, experienced that, Christmas 2013, Divina.

Exactly my point, with assigned dinner seating, all 4300+ guests must have a chair, and even with GUAR, and KSF, without anytime dining in at least one MDR, there will be a shortage of table seating. Been there, experienced that, Christmas 2013, Divina.

Are you saying people were denied eating in the main dining room? That is horrible. Please explain?

Are you saying people were denied eating in the main dining room? That is horrible. Please explain?

No, we were not denied seating. But it was so crowded the chairs were back to back, and some chairs were half in the aisles.

No, we were not denied seating. But it was so crowded the chairs were back to back, and some chairs were half in the aisles.

Thanks for the clarification, unfortunately, I often cruise on holidays and it is like that on RCCL ( the cruise I most often frequent).

There have been questions about Divina open deck space issues related to the number of passengers, separated Yacht Club class area and extra charge sun deck 18 vs other ships.

This is the whole picture at a glance.

Feel free to ask questions if any.

201100_zps8af86204.jpg

OK I have a simple question. If you were planning to sail in a suite (YC1 vs Neptune suite) which ship would be the choice?

Currently over Christmas a Divina YC1 is booking for 4 at $5904.20 and the Neptune class on Nieuw Amsterdam is booking at $9734.88.

$3830.68 difference. Is HAL worth that much more for a suite?

I get the idea that most will sail in the blue sections above and you get what you pay for but do you really?

I assume if a balcony or OV or an inside then HAL would be the choice but suites?

There is one glaring error in the two pictures posted above - the MSC one and I think the HAL one. On MSC Yacht club is only the decks at the top of the ship - so you need to include the space under Yacht club. For example on the ship we were on Yacht club was on decks 15, 16 and 18 (pool deck) at the front of the ship as indicated. However,the lower decks also had user space for all other passengers at the front of the ship. Your description is therefore deceptive.

Edited by Janet&Carl

OK I have a simple question. If you were planning to sail in a suite (YC1 vs Neptune suite) which ship would be the choice?

Currently over Christmas a Divina YC1 is booking for 4 at $5904.20 and the Neptune class on Nieuw Amsterdam is booking at $9734.88.

$3830.68 difference. Is HAL worth that much more for a suite?

I get the idea that most will sail in the blue sections above and you get what you pay for but do you really?

I assume if a balcony or OV or an inside then HAL would be the choice but suites?

It's hard to comment on what is worth money for you.

I would just mention some things.

For us the ship means everything on the cruise, not cabin.

My metaphor for this is "a mansarde in Paris vs a palace in Cambogia".

We use our cabin mostly for sleeping, taking shower and keeping our luggage. We look at mini suites if our party is 3 or 3+. For us suite is just a larger cabin.

If you like suite perks - that's different story. But note that some YC "perks" are common things on HAL, and some common thinngs on HAL are not available on MSC even in the form of "perks".

On HAL, you won't have some YC "perks" like a butler or separate embarkation.

Note that YC1 are essentially standard size balcony cabins (with a few exceptions) - correct me if necessary. I have not focused on cabins yet - only noticed that there is nothing major. Cabins are OK on the Divina.

Suite sizes on HAL vary from 2x standard balcony to even larger aft suites with wrap-around balconies (4 times larger than YC1 balconies).

HAL is different phylosophy. You can book the cheapest cabin and have access to all the facilities that suite guests have except intimate Neptune lounge deep inside the ship.

I cannot say for sure what price diference is worth. It depends on what you want on the ship.

Enjoy your cruises.

There is one glaring error in the two pictures posted above - the MSC one and I think the HAL one. On MSC Yacht club is only the decks at the top of the ship - so you need to include the space under Yacht club. For example on the ship we were on Yacht club was on decks 15, 16 and 18 (pool deck) at the front of the ship as indicated. However,the lower decks also had user space for all other passengers at the front of the ship. Your description is therefore deceptive.

Hi Janet&Carl,

The post you refer to is about Open Deck Space use - please see the title.

We are not talking about what is inside the ship.

BTW wrap-around promenade deck that also has user space for all passengers on the HAL ship is not visible on this photo. It's deck 3.

Thanks for the question.

What YC suite perks are common on HAL?

What is common on HAl not available in the YC?

I did not ask about what I wanted the question was directed to you. Is a HAL suite worth an extra $3000+ to YOU!

I wonder what a mini-suite would book out at for the same week? I assume the minisuite has no unique or special perks just what everyone has access to.

What YC suite perks are common on HAL?

I did not ask about what I wanted the question was directed to you. Is a HAL suite worth an extra $3000+ to YOU!

I wonder what a mini-suite would book out at for the same week? I assume the minisuite has no unique or special perks just what everyone has access to.

From Hal Web Site

Neptune Suites and Pinnacle Suites

These spacious suites include many more amenities and exclusive services designed to appeal to discriminating

guests. Neptune Suites have two beds that convert into one king-size bed, a walk-in closet and large sitting area

with sofa bed for two persons.

Pinnacle Suites feature a king-size bed, sofa bed for two persons in the living room, dining room, pantry, mini-bar

refrigerator, microwave, dressing room, guest powder room, floor-to-ceiling windows and private stereo system.

Both Neptune and Pinnacle Suites provide the following special services:

 Use of the exclusive Neptune Lounge and

personal concierge service

 Complimentary sparkling wine served in the

Neptune Lounge upon embarkation

 Complimentary bottled water provided in suite

at embarkation

 Cocktail party with ship’s officers

 Priority dining and seating requests

 Corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal

night

 Complimentary pre-dinner hors d'oeuvres

served in suite on request

 High tea service served in suite on request

 Exclusive full breakfast service in suite daily

 Priority boarding for tendered ports of call

 Special disembarkation service

 Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry

cleaning

 Complimentary DVD library access

 Binoculars and umbrellas for use during the

cruise

So 3 K gets use of binoculars and umbrella and laundry. One bottle of water, a corasage and a glass of wine

Compared to free liquor, butler service, free specialty coffee and gelato. 24 hour concierge .

Looking at perks it seems that the NCL Haven is the best of all wordls. A large cabin and private area's, pool, resturant. But at $12000 its awfully steep. Maybe other times of the year its less but at $7000+ that seems a lot.

Hal seems to have more basic perks in suites.

It seems that if you go in a regular cabin, inside, oceanview, balcony or mini-suite it would make sense to sail a ship where everybody is treated the same and allowed everywhere.

If you choose a suite other lines seem to offer more advantages and private venues.

What YC suite perks are common on HAL? Forward observation lounge, proper afternoon tea, private sun deck..

Wrap-around promenade, hydropool, front observation deck.. (tubs in regular balcony cabins on HAL - YC1 seems to have shower stalls only(?) - correct if wrong)...

For ME - extra $3000 won't work. For a group of 4 adults WE would book a balcony cabin + inside cabin on HAL. For 2+kids WE would book large (really large cat. J) inside.

Note that Christmas prices are crazy. $3000+ is not a lifetime punishment. prices differ. Aft suites on HAL are unique due to outstanding balconies - some people value that.

It seems that if you go in a regular cabin, inside, oceanview, balcony or mini-suite it would make sense to sail a ship where everybody is treated the same and allowed everywhere.

If you choose a suite other lines seem to offer more advantages and private venues

Definitely more advantages over fellow cruisers of the same ship on the Divina or NCL.

But not as much over regular product on some other ships that provide much better product for everyone in general.

Edited by cruisetrail

What YC suite perks are common on HAL? Forward observation lounge, proper afternoon tea, private sun deck..

But those aren't really perks then. A perk is defined as an "advantage or extra thing". If its open to all its not a perk. Thus all 2104 passengers could theoretically show up for proper tea on a HAL signature class but only 138 could on Divina.

How can a private sun deck be available to all on HAL. I understand the Cabana Club is for fee but how can there be a "private" sun deck if its not exclusive or controlled access? So again all 2104 could show up, theoretically.

I grant that lack of a forward observation lounge on Divina does seem unfair but life is unfair and many things have availability based on the ability or desire to pay.

Edited by legion3

For ME - extra $3000 won't work. For a group of 4 adults WE would book a balcony cabin + inside cabin on HAL. For 2+kids WE would book large (really large cat. J) inside.

OK for the same cruise week an IJ for 4 is $4294.88

A Veranda + inside is $3467.44 + 2367.44 for a total of $5834.88 (is there a discount if you call and book two rooms?)

That makes the inside on HAL just $1609.32 less

The Veranda + inside on HAL is $30.68 more.

At those prices would you choose the HAL ship or Divina YC?

I know the holiday fares are crazy and I wish I could cruise another time but right now that's not an option. So keeping the Christmas variable unchanged and you are going to cruise. HAL or Divina?

tubs in regular balcony cabins on HAL - YC1 seems to have shower stalls only(?) - correct if wrong)...

This one you are wrong on, most YC1 have a tub/shower combo. Two of the YC2 have a tub and shower, one has the combo.

And I have never been on this ship either.

Edited by legion3

OK for the same cruise week an IJ for 4 is $4294.88

A Veranda + inside is $3467.44 + 2367.44 for a total of $5834.88 (is there a discount if you call and book two rooms?)

That makes the inside on HAL just $1609.32 less

The Veranda + inside on HAL is $30.68 more.

At those prices would you choose the HAL ship or Divina YC?

I know the holiday fares are crazy and I wish I could cruise another time but right now that's not an option. So keeping the Christmas variable unchanged and you are going to cruise. HAL or Divina?

This one you are wrong on, most YC1 have a tub/shower combo. Two of the YC2 have a tub and shower, one has the combo. Thanks. As I said I have not studied YC cabins yet. That's why I am asking. They are as wide as standard balcony. Therefore they must be a bit longer.

Answering your question...

I cannot imagne myself on a Christmas cruise.

Celebrating special events, grand parties - this is the opposite to what we are looking forward on a cruise.

Trying be in your shoes...

#1 YC1 - $5,904

#2 Veranda+Inside (Signature class HAL) - $5,835

My choice would be #2.

Accommodation: #2 is way better - you double the usable living and storage space and get 2 bathrooms and a proper bed for everyone - not bunks, not sofas.

I would book a slightly more expensive balcony cabin on deck 4 immediately aft lifeboats, or forward lifeboats.

I would also add two evenings in specialty restaurants what we usually do (about $50 pp). A must - hydropool and thermal suite - $250 per couple.

That will be a complete package for the most comfortable resort ship at sea.

But this is not a party ship.

"Special events" will be more festive in a soaring atrium on the Divina than on a "private yacht" Signature class...

Your have another option. Forget about spacious cabin and book an inside for 4 on the Allure of the Seas (from $ 5,300 now).

:)

But those aren't really perks then. A perk is defined as an "advantage or extra thing". If its open to all its not a perk. Thus all 2104 passengers could theoretically show up for proper tea on a HAL signature class but only 138 could on Divina.

How can a private sun deck be available to all on HAL. I understand the Cabana Club is for fee but how can there be a "private" sun deck if its not exclusive or controlled access? So again all 2104 could show up, theoretically.

I grant that lack of a forward observation lounge on Divina does seem unfair but life is unfair and many things have availability based on the ability or desire to pay.

That's my point exactly.

Something that is considered a "perk" of a particular class of cabins on one ship is a common thing on other ships.

"Private" sun decks on HAL are "private" because you'll hardly see a soul there - other open spaces are vast and more frequented.

All 2104 could show up theoretically, bu they don't.

The only open deck on HAL where you can see all 2104 + some crew + lot of space left is promenade deck at the time of emergency drill.

During the day promenade deck is a huge open space that reduces the load of sun decks on top.

Actually, all 2667 passengers could theoretically show up on a HAL signature class ship, which is the actual passenger capacity of that ship.

Well my kids are to young to have their own inside cabin at this point, so two cabins is not an option.

We cruise for family get away from it all. And I spent lots of years at sea and I love ships and the sea. Never would do an inside cabin need to see the sea.

Also the fact that a private deck is also not crowded or well used seems odd? Why is it not busy? I know why the private sun decks on Divina are not crowded, one is yc only and the other has a fee. Its clear we are using two different definitions of private.

A table in a dark corner tucked away in the mdr is private but le muse is a private facility for select people.

YC free booze and soda can be a big cost saving in the YC. Especially when the ov cabins on hal are the same price of the yc on msc.

Is there a good reason to be a man of the people on vacation or is it the time to be treated to special perks of a faux patrician for a week?