How I was trying to cruise on MSC. A REAL story step by step in pictures & video.

cruisetrail

MSC is very solo friendly...:D

I can't wait!! I'm booked on the NCL Getaway and MSC Divina as b2b cruises...both huge and newer ships...and my first time with both lines, so will be able to make a good comparison. I'll be looking for the best in each experience and am sure I'll have a great time on both!

I can't wait!! I'm booked on the NCL Getaway and MSC Divina as b2b cruises...both huge and newer ships...and my first time with both lines, so will be able to make a good comparison. I'll be looking for the best in each experience and am sure I'll have a great time on both!

They are direct competitors - same level (add Carnival and Costa).

Enjoy your cruises!

I don't get your point, Queen Mary 2 has the Queen Anne and Queen Victoria suites, which I might add cost $27,000 for seven days.....not quite the enthusiast you purport to be :rolleyes:

Oh, please... Where is the Queen Mar 2 and where is MC Divina...:)

And as a post script Princess and Celebrity also have ships with suites with no balconies.

How long ago did you sail on Princess (= Grand Class) and Celebritiy (=Solstice Class)?

MSC is very solo friendly; even Yacht Club only has a 50% single supplement :D

March 2014

A couple pays 100%, a solo pays 86% of the total price

of a small balcony cabin (from MSC Cruises). From my TA - same 86%.

Edited by cruisetrail

Lucky you! Unfortunately in South America yacht Club has a 100% solo supplement:(

I use a wonderful German TA and just checked; yes I can get a YC1 cabin as a solo for 50% SS......when researching cruises I find US prices extremely high in general and this is not MSC specific. I got a quite from HAL Australia recently which was $1600 cheaper than a US TA; who congratulated me while indicating that it was impossible to beat that price.

I am a citizen of the world, I live in Australia, South Africa and the UK durring the course of any year and have learnt over the years that it is best to shop around; and avoid NA TA.

Edit; my bad I didn't read your specific reference to SA - will research and revert.

Edited by All aboard??

March 2014

A couple pays 100%, a solo pays 86% of the total price

of a small balcony cabin (from MSC Cruises). From my TA - same 86%.

That may be true of pricing for one specific cruise out of the US booked in the US.

It is not true for all cruises booked elsewhere.

In other countries the approach is different. In the UK there is no supplement on repositioning cruises. So in March 2014, I as a solo pay £45 per night for a suite, a couple also pays £45 pp, so £90 in total per night.

On other occasions the standard (of 100% for balconies and suites and 80% for outside and insides) has been reduced to 30%

That may be true of pricing for one specific cruise out of the US booked in the US.

It is not true for all cruises booked elsewhere.

In other countries the approach is different. In the UK there is no supplement on repositioning cruises. So in March 2014, I as a solo pay £45 per night for a suite, a couple also pays £45 pp, so £90 in total per night.

On other occasions the standard (of 100% for balconies and suites and 80% for outside and insides) has been reduced to 30%

This is the single reason that brought me to MSC. I am a bargain-hunter, I like, need, to get maximum value for everything. Worse, I am a Yorkshireman.

Whenever I look for any paid-for accommodation I always check solo occupancy price against double occupancy price. I am reluctant to pay any solo-occupancy supplement, or as I term it, 'couple subsidy', at all. I have done and I will but I am reluctant.

MSC repositioning cruises push all my buttons: a foreign hotel experience, an ocean voyage, stunning old-world service, Mediterranean food, and no solo-occupancy supplement! Even now, people I meet do not believe how little I have paid for these amazing voyages.

If MSC change their solo pricing policy, I will feel more tempted to shop around. At the moment however, MSC are the only game in town.

Tim ... Is it true that the Yorkshire War Cry is ... "How Much" ? :D

I see the Repo on Armonia to Venice has still not been added to the UK site yet!

Edited by sidari

Tim ... Is it true that the Yorkshire War Cry is ... "How Much" ? :D

Well I wasn't around for the War of the Roses but I believe the full Yorkshire War Cry was "How much?????? 'Can't thoil that!".

I see the Repo on Armonia to Venice has still not been added to the UK site yet!

I suppose MSC UK believe that if they don't put the repo on the UK website those of us booked on it won't know ours has been cancelled. Except that is for the press-release and other MSC websites. No, I am absolutely mystified.

Anyway Sidari, I hope that you will be able to persuade your OH to join us. Assuming, that is, MSC offer us the new itinerary on suitable terms.

Tim ... We will have to see how much leave she has left! the way it is going it will be sold out anyway seeing that it is on other countries websites but the UK one!

33 days so far and still no response to the Opera complaint other than one telling me they are waiting for info from Naples! so much for 28 days eh.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad is not the right word.

It's a crowded mass market with all the gimmicks - OK.

We can laugh about them, we can critisize them - OK. MSC belongs to a particular part of the spectrum - no surprise, no problem (Carnival Ecstasy sails full too).

But...

After taking the forward part of the ship out of public use, now - charging for the midship sun deck - this is gross.

Edited by cruisetrail

I'm enjoying the comparison, thank you cruisetrail! We overall prefer MSC, although I have to agree with a few points:

- HAL seemed less crowded

- promenade deck and forward looking lounge are a plus

- orange juice was much better than the stuff MSC distributes for free

- Crows Nest was a nice lounge with reasonably priced cocktails

... also

- meat quality was better on HAL

- liked the availability of free iced tea

... on the other hand

- food overall was more interesting on MSC. HAL sets itself up for disappointment by costantly repeating that they serve "five star" quisine. I always thought that four stars were the max for restaurants.

- Wines were more reasonably priced on MSC

- MSC ships are much cleaner. We found dirty towels and crumbs under the cushions of the fold out sofa on HAL

- Cabin stewards on MSC were more reliable, on HAL, the room was usually not ready when we returned from dinner. We often had to fold out the sofa bed for the kids ourselves.

- Prefer the discrete service on MSC over the sales pressure on HAL

- Hated the loud announcements blasted into ever cabin on HAL, e.g. at 7 AM: "A VERY GOOD MORNING EVERYONE, WELCOME TO .."

- Found the design ouf the MSC ships much more appealing

- Entertainment was better on MSC

- HAL primarily caters to older North Americans, MSC has a more diverse, younger passenger mix

- Passengers without US passport were only checked in at one counter with a much longer line, whereas Americans were allowed on the ship much more quickly

Edited by Alex71

- Hated the loud announcements blasted into ever cabin on HAL, e.g. at 7 AM: "A VERY GOOD MORNING EVERYONE, WELCOME TO .."

I believe they must have known every time I had a hang over.....trying to sleep it off, first it's "Dave the Cruise Director" then it was "the officer of the watch" then it was an "emergency drill for crew only"; and then came the alarms :eek:

Stumbled up to the pool being accosted by sales pitches at every turn en route only to find a lounger in direct ear shot of "cold drinks; beer; cocktails!".............ahhhhh, now I understand why the promenade decks are such a necessity.....its the one place that is free on a HAL ship that doesn't feel like a Balinese beach :)

I believe they must have known every time I had a hang over.....trying to sleep it off, first it's "Dave the Cruise Director" then it was "the officer of the watch" then it was an "emergency drill for crew only"; and then came the alarms :eek:

Stumbled up to the pool being accosted by sales pitches at every turn en route only to find a lounger in direct ear shot of "cold drinks; beer; cocktails!".............ahhhhh, now I understand why the promenade decks are such a necessity.....its the one place that is free on a HAL ship that doesn't feel like a Balinese beach :)

That is somewhat off-putting of Bali then.

Well if people are daft enough to pay for the top 18 sundeck! MSC will continue to charge for it.

One thing that I did really like on HAL were the Lido Cabanas - had one for myself for my whole Collector's Voyage and irrespective of the fact that they are contensious I would be tickled pink if MSC implemented them on board their vessels

I know :mad: every day around 3-4 pm to ,just when we put baby to sleep :mad: dear Capitan would let me know which port I just visited and how good weather is :mad: I had to jump and cover speaker with pillow :eek:

I'm enjoying the comparison, thank you cruisetrail! We overall prefer MSC, although I have to agree with a few points:

... also

... on the other hand

- food overall... Please see menus provided: MDR food. Specialty restaurants on the Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam - much better, buffets are simply incomparable - just plain obvious

- Wines were... possibly - we don't buy wine on cruise ship

- MSC ships are much cleaner. Both Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam are in immaculate condition.

- Cabin stewards on MSC.. Never had a bad steward on any ship except Costa one time - but that was fun.

- Prefer the discrete service on MSC over the sales pressure on HAL Never ever had we any sales pressure on Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam

- Hated the loud announcements blasted into ever cabin on HAL Never ever had we a single announcement in our cabin on the Eurodam/ Nieuw Amsterdam

- Found the design ouf the MSC ships much more appealing... Design flaws, lack of amenities and food quality - this is what has prevented me from cruises on MSC Orchestra/Fantasia ships so far.

- Entertainment was better on MSC... Possibly yes, possibly not - tastes differ

- HAL primarily caters to older North Americans, MSC has a more diverse, younger passenger mix Dead wrong. I don't know what HAL means. I know what Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam mean. These ships cater to those who prefer comfortable sea travel. All ages are welcome.

MSC: less comfort, less space, more party, more kids sail free - what age group are you going to see there:)

You are welcome.

Important note. As I requested before, please please don't mix up ships that are not related to this thread.:)

HAL is not discussed here.

Happy cruising!

Edited by cruisetrail

... also

... on the other hand

- food overall was more interesting on MSC. HAL sets itself up for disappointment by costantly repeating that they serve "five star" quisine. I always thought that four stars were the max for restaurants.

- Wines were more reasonably priced on MSC

- MSC ships are much cleaner. We found dirty towels and crumbs under the cushions of the fold out sofa on HAL

- Cabin stewards on MSC were more reliable, on HAL, the room was usually not ready when we returned from dinner. We often had to fold out the sofa bed for the kids ourselves.

- Prefer the discrete service on MSC over the sales pressure on HAL

- Found the design ouf the MSC ships much more appealing

- Entertainment was better on MSC

- HAL primarily caters to older North Americans, MSC has a more diverse, younger passenger mix

- Passengers without US passport were only checked in at one counter with a much longer line, whereas Americans were allowed on the ship much more quickly

Agree with most of your points, although passenger mix really depends on the itinerary and time. My friend sailed with her 13 yo on Lirica once and most of the pax were retired German bridge players. We sailed on Zuiderdam and pax was the same as on other ships during school vacations. Ship was crowded with bottlenecks in many places.

Service was definitely better on MSC. We also had to wait long before our cabin was made on Zuiderdam. Couple of times we even had to call housekeeping department.

Steaks were better on HAL, rest of the food not really.

MSC. Less anouncements, less intrusive service, better entertainment, beautiful ship.