How I was trying to cruise on MSC. A REAL story step by step in pictures & video.

cruisetrail

CT .... Deck 13 are not balconies as such! but sold as outsides.

Not on the Divina and Preziosa - they are sold as balcony cabins. Under the new classification they are B1 balcony cabins. On the Fantasia and Spendida they are O2 outside cabins but the O2 category are all balcony cabins and include the smaller balcony cabins midships that CT refers to. These cabins are identical across the Fantasia class so it does not make any sense to categorise them differently on different ships.

I had one of those stern cabins on deck 13 on the Fantasia. To add to the discussion, I can reveal that the central area on the stern of on deck 13, which was next to my balcony, was used as a smoking area by crew. Otherwise, I had a full-size balcony cabin with a reduced depth balcony for the price of an outside. Being on deck 13, the views in port were superb and the wake at sea mesmerising. Highly recommended but only at an outside rate not a balcony rate.

I remember you being in that cabin via the report you did, it seems crazy that they are classed as balcony cabins on two ships and outsides on the other two!

Weird but true.

Divina: http://www.cruisecritic.com/msc-divina-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=636&deck=13

Splendida: http://www.cruisecritic.com/msc-splendida-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=380&deck=9

You'll note a few other differences in classification between the two as well.

The so called balconies on Deck 13 on Divina,Splendida and Fantasia were classed as OV 5 in the 2012/13 brochure. Cannot understand the thinking of MSC on this one.

Edited by sidari

The so called balconies on Deck 13 on Divina,Splendida and Fantasia were classed as OV 5 in the 2012/13 brochure. Cannot understand the thinking of MSC on this one.

I can understand MSC wanting balcony rates rather than outside rates but having just re-classified all cabins across the fleet, why classify identical cabins on sister ships differently? These cabins should be sold much as the obscured view outsides are, "*small balcony". It would be interesting to see if the comparable rates are any different, not that with MSC there is any such thing as a comparable rate.

I loved my deck 13 stern cabin for all sorts of reasons and it would be reason enough to sail on the Fantasia class again.

I can understand MSC wanting balcony rates rather than outside rates but having just re-classified all cabins across the fleet, why classify identical cabins on sister ships differently?

Is consistency the Italian way?

As said, look at the other differences there too.

What will be interesting is to hear from people who are sold a Balcony on Deck 13 only to find it is not a Balcony.

It is a balcony. It is just not one you can get a chair or lounger on. There is ample standing room for several people.

To be fair, these are full-sized, equally-equipped, balcony cabins but with a shallow balcony. They are better described as balcony cabins than 'ocean-view' cabins but it should be made crystal clear that their balconies are shallow and sold at a discount to regular balcony cabins.

Tim.

cruisetrail has a history of posting "research" threads, fanning flames of discontent.

Many people just block or ignore him.

Here is one such dissection he did on Celebrity Solstice

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1751328

There is debate over how many ships he has been on and where he gets all these pictures from

cruisetrail has a history of posting "research" threads, fanning flames of discontent.

There is debate over how many ships he has been on and where he gets all these pictures from

I don't thnik he has been on any :rolleyes: . Maybe working in port or just get pictures from web. :cool:

LOL just fount out he dose same for Costa ....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Both are important to me - but really, I'm happy to go anywhere I've never been before!

But, back to cabins! I can have 10216 or 10218 (weird shaped balconies but large) or 9164 or 9163. Price difference is negligible so not a concern. Anyone have any views or advice on which is better.

Can't have same cabin for second cruise which is annoying! :(

Both are important to me - but really, I'm happy to go anywhere I've never been before!

But, back to cabins! I can have 10216 or 10218 (weird shaped balconies but large) or 9164 or 9163. Price difference is negligible so not a concern. Anyone have any views or advice on which is better.

Can't have same cabin for second cruise which is annoying! :(

Note that 9163 and 9164 are smaller cabins with shallow balconies.

It's on the "bump out" that means better views but still with some lifeboats below.

10216 and 10218 fall into Zone #3 (see pictures above) that is quite unpleasant location for those who like balconies. It's formed by additional cabins (added on the Divina) on the extended "bump out".

There will be completely blocked views aft.

However, 10218 if further out (see the location of 10211 on Splendida - photos above) and one deck higher over lifeboats so they are less a factor.

The balcony is huge (deep). The cabin is standard (not small like 9163/9164).

Edited by cruisetrail

• 3 weeks later...
I read a lot of opinions, both good and bad, and everyone has to understand their opinion is only good for them, but one fact is the Holland cruise has 4 stops, and the MSC has 3 stops!

Always? :)

I don't think all itineraries of MSC have 3 stops. We were on one with 4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...