Specialty dinners - HAL's Mariner discount

Frankie Sue

When I prebook specialty dinners online, the system does not apply my MARINER's discount and when I have asked at the front desk once on the ship, I was told that they could not do anything about it when dinners were prebooked and paid in advance.

Have you experienced this problem, and if so how have you resolved it?

You have to pay the full amount when you pre-book on line and your discount should credited on your shipboard account when you actually dine in Pinnacle. Check your bill to be sure they have provided the credit. We have never failed to automatically receive it.

If you find it is not credited, speak with the Pinnacle Manager if you are unsuccessful at front office.

I was told that they could not do anything about it when dinners were prebooked and paid in advance.
:eek: That was true when they first started the on-line booking, but it hasn't been that way for years!

We have never failed to automatically receive it.

If you find it is not credited, speak with the Pinnacle Manager if you are unsuccessful at front office.

On the Prinsendam in May it was not done automatically for us, but the front desk took care of the correction.

:eek: That was true when they first started the on-line booking, but it hasn't been that way for years!

On the Prinsendam in May it was not done automatically for us, but the front desk took care of the correction.

I guess the turnover in staff on the P'dam was a good turn over:D Ours was credited automatically - I never had to ask:)

We've been fortunate it was always automatically discounted.

Seems to me it should be easy enough for HAL booking engine to be able to provide the discount at the time we book on line. Why is it any different than providing a promo code for any site where we shop? We have to enter Mariners Number/booking confirmation number when we make the on line booking and it should be automatic for any eligible discounts to be applied.

Why wouldn't they do that?

... and it should be automatic for any eligible discounts to be applied.

Why wouldn't they do that?

They promised a long time ago that they would do it, but who knows why they haven't ? :rolleyes:

p.s. - I know you say that when you book dinners for more than you and DH that you get the discount for all. That was twice refused us in the N.A. Tamarind ... I could only get the discount if I split the bill between two bookings, with my DB/DSiL paying the full amount. Maybe HAL doesn't want to set up the auto discount for on-line bookings because they don't want it to be applied when some of the party is not eligible for it.

If money held in bank accounts actually earned interest, that could be a reason but that isn't likely these days.

There were a few times we had a can of soda from mini-bar and they charged us full price. We never bothered doing anything about that small amount but they sometimes miss applying the discount. We knew it was an easy error to make and made nothing of it.

In fact, on the Prinsendam it was not done automatically for us for either the booking made on line or the one made on board.

WOW - even the ones you did on board!!! that's really strange:eek: We did several bookings on board as well as on line and were charged the correct amount each time:confused: both in the Canaletto and the PG.

When I prebook specialty dinners online, the system does not apply my MARINER's discount and when I have asked at the front desk once on the ship, I was told that they could not do anything about it when dinners were prebooked and paid in advance.

Have you experienced this problem, and if so how have you resolved it?

Within the first couple of days of your cruise, get a copy of your account. If you do not see the discount on it -- talk to the Pinnacle or Tamarind or Canaletto managers and remind them that you are entitled to a discount. That might work.

:confused: You paid in the Canaletto?

Yes, the charge was put in place at the beginning of our cruise I think. No biggie - $5 (50% discount). And we actually did enjoy it:D Went 3 times on our cruise:D

Carol says they told us that would happen ... guess I wasn't listening then. :o

I can't believe that a man wouldn't be listening:p:D:D LOL:D

Actually I wasn't surprised - thanks to the posts on cc.

I will report back in Dec. because I have booked the Pinnacle on line and will be charged the full amount. I will be talking them when we go to confirm our booking about the discount. I am one who has had an experience where we did not get the discount.

Yes, the charge was put in place at the beginning of our cruise I think. No biggie - $5 (50% discount). And we actually did enjoy it:D Went 3 times on our cruise:D

Wonder if this was in any way related to a recent Hotel Director retirement.

Roy

I will report back in Dec. because I have booked the Pinnacle on line and will be charged the full amount. I will be talking them when we go to confirm our booking about the discount. I am one who has had an experience where we did not get the discount.

My experience - they don't give the discount until you have gone to the PG. since you have been burned - make sure to tell the PG on the way out. Hopefully it will be done automatically for you - it has on the last two cruises we have been on. The one before, I did have to ask (and I got):D

Roy

I don't think so - he was still there when the charge went into effect and from what I have gathered the charge is in place on all the ships now:confused:

This Canaletto is worth it. The food was nice - the ambience is wonderful with beautiful wake views. I didn't think I would like the closed in aft section of the Lido that they did at the dry dock - but IMO they did a nice job and the Canaletto and that area are very nice:)

The above posts demonstrate why we never book the Pinnacle in advance.

Even when on board we see the strangest accounting with regard to the Pinnacle charges. As 5 stars we get 2 Pinnacle dinners complimentary.

We went twice, the first time we were changed $12.50 and credited $12.50 plus $6.25. The second time we were charged $12.50 and credited $6.25. So, it worked out, but what weird accounting!

Roy

My experience - they don't give the discount until you have gone to the PG. since you have been burned - make sure to tell the PG on the way out. Hopefully it will be done automatically for you - it has on the last two cruises we have been on. The one before, I did have to ask (and I got):D

Decisions such as that are made in Seattle.

That would not have been Firmin's province unless he was hosting people.

The charge was initiated at staggered dates on the various ships.

Not all started charing on the same date.

(Firmin is enjoying retirement. :)

I agree the charge/credit from Pinnacle is not made until such time as you actually dine there.

Archived