Where do you go for sail away on the Gem?

geneology

Bon voyage!

What makes it special for me is having an informal gathering of people on the roll call, and sailing in and out of NYC enjoying views of the skyline, trade center, statue, ellis, and bridge. Great for solo travelers (and couples too) to meet dinner mates that first night. For such gatherings, I like Bali Hai Bar and Grill which has a nice view overlooking the pool deck & sailaway party, and has access to both sides of the ship and the stairs forward to the sundeck for taking pictures as people come and go. Spinnaker Lounge for the rain location and has a great indoor view forward and sides too. Some folks like Great Outdoors for an aft view.

Edited by kylenyc

Bon voyage!

What makes it special for me is having an informal gathering of people on the roll call, and sailing in and out of NYC enjoying views of the skyline, trade center, statue, ellis, and bridge. Great for solo travelers (and couples too) to meet dinner mates that first night. For such gatherings, I like Bali Hai Bar and Grill which has a nice view overlooking the pool deck & sailaway party, and has access to both sides of the ship and the stairs forward to the sundeck for taking pictures as people come and go. Spinnaker Lounge for the rain location and has a great indoor view forward and sides too. Some folks like Great Outdoors for an aft view.

I have done sail away at the Bali Hai bar and have to agree it is a good time. I was wondering if there were other places to go as well. The Great Outdoors is a good idea as you get to see things as they pass by. I wonder how crowded it gets back there? Keep fingers crossed that it does not rain.

I will be with my DH and children who are really young adults as they range in age from 24 to 19. We all love to be together at the sail away as it is a great way to start a vacation watching the NYC skyline etc pass before you and then once you go under the bridge its official the cruise is on!! LOL

Hope others will reveal their Gem sail away traditions and favorite spot to be.

Edited by geneology

If you want to join the happy mood of the crowd, Deck 12 should be the party place. On our b2b second sailing out of Venice, we found a quiet spot, aft of deck 7 (promenade), away from everybody and very quiet. Problem is there is no sitting but we were away from the sun and were able to move from side to side.

The Great Outdoors is the best place on the ship!

Weather permitting that is. We are sailing on Gem 10/27/14 so it may be too chilly. If it is rainy or chilly we will go to Spinnaker lounge which has front and both sides view. :D

I am always outside along Deck 7. When I was on board this past May, they played Lee Geenwood's "Proud To Be An American" as we sailed past The Statue of Liberty. Almost everyone on deck was singing at least the chorus in a number of languages.

Weather permitting that is. We are sailing on Gem 10/27/14 so it may be too chilly. If it is rainy or chilly we will go to Spinnaker lounge which has front and both sides view. :D

Never too chilly to be outside for sailaway :), especially leaving Manhattan, surely one of the most spectacular sailaways there is!

I took the photo below leaving NY on the Gem on Oct. 23, 2011. My favorite place to be when leaving NY is on the top deck, with easy access to both sides of the ship (and a great view passing under the Verrazano).

WillGemcleartheVerrazano_01.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

Never too chilly to be outside for sailaway :), especially leaving Manhattan, surely one of the most spectacular sailaways there is!

I took the photo below leaving NY on the Gem on Oct. 23, 2011. My favorite place to be when leaving NY is on the top deck, with easy access to both sides of the ship (and a great view passing under the Verrazano).

WillGemcleartheVerrazano_01.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

WOW!!! What a great pic. I have one as well but mine is during sunset last November on the Jewel.

Trying to upload it but it keeps saying the security token is missing?? Never had that happen before.

I'm another fan of the Great Outdoors (weather permitting of course). Great views for both sides of the ship. :)

Agree with the Great Outdoors....it has a cover in case of rain, blocks the wind if its chilly and is a quick couple of flights of stairs up to the top deck for the sail under the narrows bridge.....and oh yeah, there is a bar right there!:D

Agree with the Great Outdoors....it has a cover in case of rain, blocks the wind if its chilly and is a quick couple of flights of stairs up to the top deck for the sail under the narrows bridge.....and oh yeah, there is a bar right there!:D

Then the Great Outdoors it is!! You can not see it sail under the Bridge on Deck 12?

According to my 8 year old, the best place for sail away is on the steps for the water slide. She could see out both sides of the ship and by the time she went down the slide and back up again it was a different view! We all loved the "countdown" by the pool to going under the bridge. It did add to the excitement and felt like the real start of the trip once we left the Hudson.

According to my 8 year old, the best place for sail away is on the steps for the water slide. She could see out both sides of the ship and by the time she went down the slide and back up again it was a different view! We all loved the "countdown" by the pool to going under the bridge. It did add to the excitement and felt like the real start of the trip once we left the Hudson.

Gotta love an 8 year old's point of view they know best....and without cocktails LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 1 year later...
Sorry this probably isn't the spot to ask but Can you give me an idea on drink prices? This will be our 1st trip on the Gem. Actually only my 2nd cruise

Thank you for any help

$5.50 for a beer, $7.95 for a drink of the day, $5.75 for a simple cocktail (i.e. rum and cola), $8.95 to $10.95 for specialty cocktails, $6-$9 for a glass of wine. (Plus 15% gratuity)

Edited by sparks1093

We have a forward facing suite on deck ten and we are planning to do sail away from our balcony. We will be directly under the bridge so I assume we will have a good view. This is our first trip on the Gem and on NCL for that matter