Regatta Cruise Review - July 5, 2013

curtdesilets

Just submitted this review to Cruise Critic. I welcome any comments.

We just returned last week from a great Inside Passage trip on the Oceania Regatta. This was our first time on Oceania. The price was right and we wanted to try something a little different. This was quite different from the standard cruises that usually go on up to Alaska. My wife and I have been on Alaska cruise several times, and were getting a bit tired of the same old routine. We liked the convenience of sailing out of Seattle, and the fact that we were seeing 3 sites we had not sailed to before: Tracy Arm Fjord, Prince Rupert, and Wrangell.

I have divided my review into the CruiseCritic categories, and rated each one with a letter grade, A through F like school grades.

Embarkation: We hopped on a Jet Blue flight from Long Beach, caught a cab and was at the port basically 4 hours from when we left our home. That's the convenience of Seattle, at least for us. I was surprised however, that there was a pretty sizable wait to get registered/checked in. There were about 6 groupings of say 20 passengers each, sitting and waiting for their group to be called. It was probably about a 30-40 minute wait to get through the line. I guess we've been spoiled in the past, because we usually zip right on through, given our frequent cruising status and such. One nicety that was missing...a welcome glass of champagne that Celebrity gives you. I'd rate the Embarkation a grade B.

Public Spaces: We were surprised at how roomy this ship was. It was much larger than we anticipated, and had a good passenger flow from space to space. The furnishings and decor are very exquisite. Regatta is a beautiful ship. Very clean as well. Grade = A.

Stateroom: We just booked a standard outside with porthole (Category D). Small, but functional. Shower pressure and water pressure in the sink was very low. Shower was very small. Bed was very comfortable, but pillows were too squishy. I did like the location however. Grade = B-

Fitness & Recreation: Gym was quite nice, locker room and steam room are very nice and you actually had some great water pressure on the showers. Outdoor pool was fine, but the water really stung your eyes. May be a high concentration of chlorine and salt water mixed. Jacuzzis were just adequate: jet pressure was low and temperature was lukewarm at best. Grade = B

Enrichment: One lecturer on board. A very nice guy, ex-professor with a wealth of information. Personality was not quite as good as say Milos or Brent Nixon on Celebrity, but pretty interesting and open to conversation. Grade = B+

Rates/Value: We got a good deal. We booked early, got free gratuities and some OBC. Worked out to about the same as a big ship. We got our money's worth for sure. Grade = A-

Dining: Almost every menu item was outstanding. Some highlights:

1) Miso Sea Bass from Red Ginger menu

2) Caviar station at the Grand Brunch

3) Desserts @ The Special High Tea

4) Ravioli and Veal Scallopini @ the Italian Joint

5) Deserts and Breads throughout

6) Made To Order Omelets for Breakfast

7) Escargot

8) Fresh Alaskan Halibut Grilled @ Waves

We did have a few deficiencies however. Twice, at Terraces, the "Steamed" vegetables were ice cold.

And our first formal lunch at MDR, it took a very long time for our dessert to arrive, although it was not busy. Little things, but enough to move it to a 5 star from a 5.5 star Grade = A- overall

Entertainment: The performers and comedian were the standard cruise stuff. Nothing to write home about. We did however really enjoy the String Quartet. A remarkable group from Poland that had a diverse repertoire, including some classical arrangements of modern songs. Very nice!

Stage Performers = Grade C

String Quartet = Grade A+

Service: Excellent for the most part. We did get some bad attitude from a couple of the bar service people however. Room steward did a great job, as did the wait staff. Sommeliers were just okay.

Grade = A-

Shore Excursions: We did a city tour in Prince Rupert. Just a so-so experience. There were issues. Grade = C+

Some other things:

Weather was fabulous on the first sea day through the inside passage and in our first port (Ketchikan). Turned cold and rainy for the next three days, but the sun was back out for our final sea day on the outside passage. We did enjoy the 3 new sites I mentioned. Raining in Tracey Arm Fjord however, and we only saw about 75% of it...could not get to the glacier (bummer).

Activities were a bit minimalistic. We did enjoy the Trivia and the bingo. But there wasn't that much to do. The Shuffle board and miniature golf was fun. I also did enjoy the running/walking track up top. Very nice views, but it could get windy.

Ship was very full (passenger count as per the CD was 701). This exceeds the official capacity that I keep seeing of 684 passengers. There were perhaps 30 children on board which might be why the number was higher than the capacity. Although it was full, it never felt crowded. The number of children on board was a surprise, and quite frankly, they were not all that well mannered. On the final sunny sea day for instance, a number of kids were running around, horseplaying in the pool etc. There was a large contingent of children from Mexico City that were playing cards in the adjunct card room, and getting very very loud. They were having a good time, but they were quite loud. The regular card room was turned into a temporary kids club. We opted for this cruise specifically to avoid cruising with a number of children at this high season point of the Alaska Season, as we were always of the impression that Oceania was specifically for adults.. Funny how just a few kids can sound (or seem) like hundreds. Not a bad experience per se, but not what we had expected either.

Otherwise, the fellow passengers we met were lovely. A few of us guys were up early in Horizons every morning allowing our wives to sleep in as we watched the magnificent scenery. Great conversation and camaraderie. The virtue of a smaller ship experience is that you develop some great relationships on board. That was a treat.

Overall Grade = B+ Not quite the greatest cruise we have been on, but pretty darn good. We were well pampered and had a great time, and ate extremely well! Kudos to Oceania.

Thank you for the excellent review of Oceania Regatta..You should have been apprised before you sailed that your cruise and a few others were to have a kids club on them..

You were on the cruise with Frank Delrio and his family and grandkids for the 10th anniversary cruise did you happen to talk to him, he is very accessible..

Jancruz1

Thank you for your detailed review.

Just out of curiosity -which was the greatest cruise you ever took (since you mentioned that this was not it)?

What a WONDERFUL Question, Paul!

I'd also like to know which Cruise Curtdesilets counts as his best ever. :D

Can't wait to get back in that Italian Joint.

I was hurrying my review and for the life of me, I could not remember the name of the "Italian Joint" on this ship. It is Toscana.

So I used my grandfather's vernacular to describe it. :D

What a WONDERFUL Question, Paul!

I'd also like to know which Cruise Curtdesilets counts as his best ever. :D

Our first cruise was on the just released Celebrity Infinity to Alaska (less than 2 months new), and got us hooked on Cruising. Celebrity was in it's prime when the first M-class ships were released. Infinity was amazing.

But our Baltic cruise on the brand new Constellation was probably the best. This was several years ago, when the Baltic was relatively new and exotic. We had a most unique itinerary as well. Started in Stockholm with stops in Riga, Helsinki, overnight in St Petersburg, Talinn (Estonia), Gdansk, Berlin, another overnight in Copenhagen, Oslo and finally London. 14 days.

Both Infinity and Constellation back then were trading places for the best ship on Conde Naste's list.

Our first Crystal Cruise had the best food and service. Our most recent one, perhaps because of the switch to all-inclusive, wasn't nearly as good.

Oceania was up there, except for the few deficiencies I described.

Thank you for the interesting points if view

After several Celebrity cruises and a few on other lines, I'm so ready for Oceania

I may want to change cabins on Regatta

Linda

Thanks Curtdesilets for your review. I think we may agree about a few things, it is all in the small touches and details.

Our embarkation was great, we arrived just after 11 and as soon as we completed the health forms, we were in a very short line and at the check in desk in less than 5 minutes, and on board by 11.30. Disappointed like you with no real welcome which is what we have experienced previously like you have.

Please don't laugh, but I have to say when we first walked into our PH I did think "smaller than I expected" and the bathroom very small, but we quickly got used to the size and there is lots of storage, so with a bit of careful planning and putting away our stuff, it all worked just fine. It was very clean. Butler service was very good.

We did see around a verandah stateroom and very quickly realised that we were not that "badly" off after all! ;):) But as our friends who had this stateroom said, to cruise or not to cruise and that was what was available, so they chose to book it and cruise, and I suppose on an Alaskan cruise you are out and about lots more.

We also enjoyed the Italian joint .... Especially the work of art bread baskets with the olive oil and balsamic menu ..... And one of the best spots to continue wild life spotting at dinner if you had a lovely window table.

We never did find a hot tub actually hot either! Which was a shame as we would have enjoyed them.

Did the Mayor come and meet the ship at Prince Rupert? What issues did you have? We booked a private bear flight seeing tour and felt less then enthused with it. But the museum at PR is interesting and I liked the small shop they had there.

We really liked Wrangell as we felt it was an honest, Alaskan town ... no tacky jewellery stores like Skagway! My DH got his haircut at the barbers and he got chatting with the chap and I'm sure if we had been in town any longer, the pair of them would have been off fishing .... Really friendly people.

Booked Category F -- 160 sq ft Inside for April 19, 2014 Regatta Miami/Bermuda.

The jump in price between categories is huge but I think I will have to go to Deluxe Outside 165 sq ft if upgrading at all.

We are lucky to have balcony on our bucket list sailing on Riviera in October.

Thanks, Linda

Curt's review is very fair and accurate. We were on the same cruise. I missed meeting Curt; I would have like to do so.

We differ on a few very minir things, but that may be due to different reasons for choosing this cruise. We booked it specifically because it was the 10th anniversary cruise with "The Boss" :) on board. The original maiden voyage of Oceania Cruise Lines sailed July 5, 2003, from Barcelona, aboard Regatta. This cruise began exactly 10 years to the day of the first sailing, on the same ship, and with both Frank Del Rio and his lovely wife Marcia, the Godmother of Regatta, aboard, along with Frank's parents, son and daughters and grandchildren.

We, too, waited a short time at check-in, but it was expected. We were in a lower category (C2, one step up from Curt), we arrived earlier than our recommended time, and we had a pleasant wait with freindly folks for about 20 minutes. Once our row was called, check-in was very quick and easy. If folks had been permitted to just line up when they arrived, the lines would have been much longer, the wait would have been standing up instead of sitting comfortably and tempers would have undoubtably been shorter. I prefer the organized approach. We've had so-called champagne handed to us on other cruise lines, and frankly, with our carry-ons, it's a bit of a pain in the neck to juggle the glass. We just refuse it, now.

We've sailed in an oceanview cabin on Regatta before, and also in both concierge and a penthouse, so we knew what to expect. We spent 26 days in a cabin of the same size on our first Oceania cruise. There is plenty of storage, the cabin is functional, the beds are terrific, and we prefer the closet across from the bathroom rather than the closet beside the bed on the "O" class veranda and oceanview categories. The shower is perfectly adequate, actually a bit larger than the new ships, and a new shower curtain that is attached at one side now prevents it from billowing in like in the past.

We had almost all our meals in the Grand Dining Room. We have never cared for the hustle and bustle and hunting for a table in the Terrace Cafe, and we dislike having to go one at a time for our food in order to retain the table. We normally have lunch at Waves, but only did so twice on this cruise because it was too chilly. We did dine in Polo twice and Toscana once. On the last night of the cruise, all guests who were bronze and above were invited to a special anniversary dinner in the Terrace Cafe, hosted by Frank and Marcia, with a special menu created by Franck Geranger, exective chef for the cruise lines. This was not a buffet but was served at the tables.

There were some other smaller special dinners for some of the VIP guests. I believe everyone on the cruise received a commenorative gift along with a tee-shirt and hat, and wine was complimentary at dinner one evening. There were the usual Captain's party and Past Guest party, made special by Mr. Del Rio speaking about the beginnings and history of the cruise line. This was a very special event for him, and he was clearly having the time of his life. Near the end of the cruise, he hosted an open question town meeting, and announced the construction of a new ship for Regent Seven Seas, Oceania's sister cruise line. Throughout the cruise he seemed to be everywhere and was very accessible.

We felt the entertainment was above par for Oceania, especially Maeve Martin and Chris Shafer. We've cruised with Chris before and enjoy his fine voice and lightnbess on his feet for a big man. The string quartet was definitely the best we've enjoyed on any Oceania cruise, matched only by a string trio on Celebrity Century to Hawaii earlier this year.

As I said before, we specifically sailed this cruise, our third to Alaska and our second aboard Regatta to Alaska, for the celebration of Oceania's 10th Anniversary. We expected a special ambiance and we were not disappointed; this will be one of our most memorable cruises.

Fairborne and Hondorner:

I think we were on the same page in most of our assessments. I did like the fancy 10th anniversary celebration, although I think we missed out on the Free wine night.:mad: My wife booked a couple spa treatments, and they were so booked up that she settled for early evening treatments. Rather than dressing for dinner after a relaxing massage, we ate in on 2 nights. Room service was okay, but it did not match the delight of the GDR. In the future, I would eat most (if not all) meals in the GDR rather than sort of settling for the fare up in Terraces. Terraces was okay, but did not provide the variety and excellence of the GDR food. The one exception was the grilled seafood one afternoon in Waves! Awesome!

We did not see the Mayor in Prince Rupert, although he may have been there in the morning. That day was especially cold and rainy. We enjoyed the museum a lot and we too got some gifts in their gift store. I was equally impressed with the museum in Wrangell. We were greeted by a second generation "Wrangeller" whose family had owned the local grocery store. He told us a bundle about the town's history. It was quaint and informative. Agreed, that Wrangell is a real Alaska town, not a tourist zone. I explored by foot quite a bit. Went to the petroglyph beach, but maybe due to the high tide, could only spot one petroglyph. Petroglyph beach was a bit disappointing, and a bit of a hike. The museum and town were better for short walks.

The issues for us on our Prince Rupert excursion: The original bus broke down so they had to send a replacement. We were standing in the rain for at least 30 minutes. Then it was delayed because we had a late arriving disabled passenger and no one would relinquish their front seat. I was astonished by that rudeness of some passengers that were not disabled adamantly denying the woman a place up front. So we were off to a bad start. In fact there was a bit of a confrontation between the tour guide and the Oceania host. It was all a bit strange. The guide was lovely, but it was a bit too much information condensed into a 2 hour time period. The rain was another detriment. I enjoyed it but we were cold and freezing and frankly sort of raced to get back on the ship.

Again, the whole experience of this cruise was great. Being our first cruise on Oceania, we did not know all the ropes. Now we do, so I would expect our next one to be even better.

Edited by curtdesilets
spelling

Out of curiosity why couldn't you wait inside the broken down bus instead of out in the rain?

We were all out on the pier waiting for the bus to arrive. We got there early, as instructed. The bus arrived, and instantly they were opening up the back hatch to check the engine. A couple other guys (supervisors ??) were lucking dumbfounded at the engine. Then it sped away and another bus arrived about 15minutes later. We never got on the bad bus. Luckily, we were under a tarp they set up, but not all of us could fit under it. So yeah, we were standing in the rain for 30 minutes or more. No one really seemed to mind however. Must be the Oceania cruise experience had mellowed us out.

We really enjoyed your review, and getting to talk to you in the early mornings. I have to say that the pillows were just the way we like them. The entertainment was pretty weak, but we come from an area that offers great performers. Our only big complaint was the breakfast on board. We feel that Celebrity and HAL both offer much better breakfast fare.

We were all out on the pier waiting for the bus to arrive. We got there early, as instructed. The bus arrived, and instantly they were opening up the back hatch to check the engine. A couple other guys (supervisors ??) were lucking dumbfounded at the engine. Then it sped away and another bus arrived about 15minutes later. We never got on the bad bus. Luckily, we were under a tarp they set up, but not all of us could fit under it. So yeah, we were standing in the rain for 30 minutes or more. No one really seemed to mind however. Must be the Oceania cruise experience had mellowed us out.

We came close to meeting! We were on the same bus. We. too, were astounded that no one would move for the disabled lady. One woman sat by herself in the aisle seat of the first row, leaving the wondow seat vacant, and fijnally, under pressure, agreed to move to the window seat and let the disabled lady sit on the aisle. The couple in the other front row flatly refused to move. The disabled lady's companion/caretaker was forced to go to the very back of the bus.

As for the wait, we were under one of their metal "umbrellas" that covered four or five people. If you were under the canopy that was near the entrance to the pier, that is where the Mayor was standing, in his long black robe and emblem of office around his neck, when we disembarked. Maybe the rain chased him away, or maybe he owns the bus company and had to arrange the second bus (just kidding).

It was a nice, friendly little tour, winding through the streets and viewing the local architecture and learning the history, then the museum visit. The tour guide was also the director of the museum. I only felt the museum visit was a little rushed, perhaps because of the bus delay.

One woman sat by herself in the aisle seat of the first row, leaving the wondow seat vacant, and fijnally, under pressure, agreed to move to the window seat and let the disabled lady sit on the aisle. The couple in the other front row flatly refused to move. The disabled lady's companion/caretaker was forced to go to the very back of the bus.

I am shocked by the bad manners of some of the cruisers

We have run across some rude behavior on our cruises but nothing like this

They should have the 1st row of the bus blocked off for any passengers that are disabled

The world is becoming so ME oriented lately :eek:

I am shocked by the bad manners of some of the cruisers

We have run across some rude behavior on our cruises but nothing like this

They should have the 1st row of the bus blocked off for any passengers that are disabled

The world is becoming so ME oriented lately :eek:

It has been my only 'negative' about our O cruises, does this behavior seem to be more prevalent on O?

Edited by canuck.qc

It has been my only 'negative' about our O cruises, does this behavior seem to be more prevalent on O?

Unfortunately more so lately than previously. Reasons for this are not known and have been discussed here previously.

Of course, things are not "out of control" as yet and we are not talking about "Carnival/NCL" type of rude/rowdy behavior, but the trend is evident (to me and obviously to others as well).

Thankfully, the majority of the passengers are well behaved and a pleasure to sail with and therefore the "rude ones" stand out that much more. It certainly has not reached the level of a "game changer" for us (nowhere near that) but it is a disturbing trend. We just ignore them and stay clear of them - easy enough to do :)

Edited by Paulchili

On the several Oceania excursions I've taken so far that involved buses, the front seats have always been reserved for disabled pax. I don't know if disabled pax have to request such reserved seats from O's Destination Services.

That has been my experience as well. I've never entered a bus -- whether private or ship's tour -- where we could take the front seats.

Likewise, I cannot imagine refusing to let a disabled person take the front seat. I have been in the "disabled" condition (especially on the Nov '05 Non-Libya cruise when I tore my meniscus) but I have never myself needed that consideration. OTOH, on that cruise we had only private tours for 8 and I was able to adjust.

People have been talking about other passengers being less considerate in recent days. I have to say that we have been either lucky enough -- or non-observant -- so that we haven't seen such situations. I do hope they are aberrations!

Mura

Looks like I started quite a discussion here. In actuality, there were very few rude passengers on our sailing. This disabled seat refusal thing was an anomaly, I think. Those two "able" passengers raced to the bus to get that front seat and were not budging, even after the Oceania Hostess questioned them twice saying something like: "Seriously? You will not vacate this seat for a disabled passenger? " It created a delay as they tried to figure out what to do. I think the lady on the other side that eventually gave up her one seat was actually elderly. Again, just surprising, and I'll dare say "rude" behavior. But I've seen these sorts of things on excursions before. That front seat is highly coveted.

As for the rest of the cruise, there was very little rudeness whatsoever. Everyone seemed quite civilized. Well apart for one group, that I'm pretty sure was from mainland China. I've been to mainland China, and the idea of a "queue" is a bit of a foreign concept. It's a cultural thing, and I'll just leave it at that. :rolleyes:

We basically keep a low profile, off touring at every port, dining just the two of us or occasionally with people we've met from our private tours, and I'd say we observed rude and unpleasant passenger behaviour at least once a day...they stand out. That said, we've met & kept in touch with several terrific people from our O cruises. I enjoy that many people on O are seasoned, knowlegeble travellers and know how to behave with discretion.

Giuseppes-have you tried breakfast in the MDR? babylambchops?