Smoking in cabins on balconies, irrespective of cruise line.

Brian Raine

Mary...Thanks for that tip. I had one similar to that years ago. Mine only had a mint cartridge but it worked wonders on long flights. For years I couldn't find the cartridges.....now, found the cartridges and can't find the inhaler. :eek:

I have to wonder though....if there are so many objections to E-Cigs, won't they be objecting to the sight of these? Truly, it doesn't take smoke to offend Cunard passengers.

Mary...Thanks for that tip. I had one similar to that years ago. Mine only had a mint cartridge but it worked wonders on long flights. For years I couldn't find the cartridges.....now, found the cartridges and can't find the inhaler. :eek:

I have to wonder though....if there are so many objections to E-Cigs, won't they be objecting to the sight of these? Truly, it doesn't take smoke to offend Cunard passengers.

Yikes, nevemind smoke, I'm offended by mirrors :eek::D

Just heard that Cunard are now banning smoking on all balconies from 2014. So there will be no where indoors or sheltered for cigarette smokers. As a frequent ( up to 4 times a year in Queen's or Princess Grill cabins ) trans atlantic passenger and occasional smoker I was perfectly happy when they banned it in staterooms a few years ago. Fair enough. People coming in after may really not like the smell. But this is ridiculous. A little bit of smoke drifting by in the middle of the sea or ocean can't possibly be so offensive - or any kind of health hazard to anyone who not some kind of nutcase. It's just a need to control other people. I have been disturbed by loud talking on adjacent balconies but have never complained because I believe in living and letting live - as do some of the decent non smokers on this thread. Not so the anti-smoking ****s! They just want to stop smokers from having any rights or enjoyment in this world. And they have won yet again. I will not be travelling with Cunard after 2014.

There's something so déclassé about all this. First it was the dress code and now it's smoking on balconies.

It somewhat reminds me of when they banned dogs from the outdoor seating area of restaurants. That type of thing...same mentality.

There's something so déclassé about all this. First it was the dress code and now it's smoking on balconies.

It somewhat reminds me of when they banned dogs from the outdoor seating area of restaurants. That type of thing...same mentality.

Come to the UK Whitemarsh. You can take your dog just about anywhere! They've only just started enforcing the responsibility of dog owners to clean up after their dogs in public places. Often you see restaurants put bowls of water out for the dogs.

I certainly hope not. My husband and I are booked in Grill Class on both an eastbound and westbound crossing in June 2014, and would definitely cancel if that occurred. Especially on a crossing, it's important that someone who smokes has convenient places to smoke other than the one small cigar lounge (especially small given the size of the ship).

We were booked westbound in June and like you will be cancelling as I have just had an e-mail and read on this thread that smoking on balconies will be banned from May 2014. Posted my reaction to the ban separately. As you say especially on a crossing when outside decks are sometimes closed for several days due to bad weather it is very important that smokers have somewhere comfortable to smoke. they don't now.

Such a shame that Cunard have lost all their atmosphere of elegance and relaxation. There is now no luxury liner crossing the atlantic. The end of an era. And a shame that we won't meet you on that crossing - we might have! Love your username by the way.

I so agree. It's the end of elegance, relaxation and tolerance.

Such a shame that Cunard have lost all their atmosphere of elegance and relaxation. There is now no luxury liner crossing the atlantic. The end of an era.

This is precisely what I felt on my last cruise in January/February of this year. Very sad, indeed.

Come to the UK Whitemarsh. You can take your dog just about anywhere! They've only just started enforcing the responsibility of dog owners to clean up after their dogs in public places. Often you see restaurants put bowls of water out for the dogs.

How civilised.

I will not be travelling with Cunard after 2014.

I am seriously thinking of doing the same. This new policy is most probably due to non-smokers intervention :rolleyes:. It hurts not to travel with Cunard anymore, but I can't be together with intolerant, narrow-minded people.

I am seriously thinking of doing the same. This new policy is most probably due to non-smokers intervention :rolleyes:. It hurts not to travel with Cunard anymore, but I can't be together with intolerant, narrow-minded people.

Remember that the people are still the same as they have always been; it is just that more notice has been taken of some of them. By all means stay away if the policy is a problem to you, but don't stay away just because of a few people. There are narrow-minded people wherever you go. The trick is to identify them quickly and walk away.

We just cancelled our Holiday cruise on QM2. I was already unhappy with that cruise having gone from 15 days to 12 days for the same price. Being 12 days also attracted more family's with children.....although nice children, it still changed the atmosphere. It has nothing to with the new smoking rule yet but now I've just developed a seriously bad attitude.:D

Remember that the people are still the same as they have always been; it is just that more notice has been taken of some of them. By all means stay away if the policy is a problem to you, but don't stay away just because of a few people. There are narrow-minded people wherever you go. The trick is to identify them quickly and walk away.

Thanks, fantasy. I normally run away from that kind of people, but here it looks as if it's them who pushed their way through and had Cunard act accordingly. It's not the banning of smoking on balconies (by the way, I don't need to smoke, in fact, it's easy to give it up - I have done it many times :D), but the tendency which goes towards the loss of quality .... very sad, indeed.

We just cancelled our Holiday cruise on QM2. I was already unhappy with that cruise having gone from 15 days to 12 days for the same price. Being 12 days also attracted more family's with children.....although nice children, it still changed the atmosphere. It has nothing to with the new smoking rule yet but now I've just developed a seriously bad attitude.:D

Yes. The whole atmosphere has changed lately - could it be because it's no longer actually Cunard but Carnival? On our latest voyage it all seemed quite different. Right from the start. First the itinerary changed, then we didn't get that lovely solid, pre-voyage brochure with high quality luggage labels that we used to ( had to print everything out - what do elderly people who don't use the internet do now? ) cabin service was not as good as it has been before, ship docks in Brooklyn instead of the exciting arrival in Manhattan and many other small intangibles made it feel less like Cunard, less like a voyage on an ocean liner and more like Butlins holiday. It is so sad. Now the virtually total smoking ban. The ship is now entirely geared towards the family package holiday crowd - even when it's doing a translatlantic crossing.

It's fairly difficult to avoid people on board a ship - even the QMII ! And the kind of people who are so intolerant are changing the whole character of the ship. And as Cats so aptly put it... the tendency goes towards a loss of quality.

Brigittetom, I can understand your decision for the reasons you cited. Plus I found quite a difference in the ambiance on board QM2 as a result of the change in dress code. Of course, some might prefer the change and newbies wouldn't know the difference, but I was disappointed. And now with this new ban on balcony smoking next year, I seem to have developed a seriously bad attitude too.:eek::D Regards, -S.

Salacia, Spobird, I'm beginning to think that Cunard may have decided to just go with the flow because I've noticed the changes also. Could very well be Carnival creeping in. I was quite surprised in May on a 14 day trip on RCL.....there was no difference in service, food, passengers, and an overall feeling of well being. For me now, the only thing outstanding about Cunard is the QM2 herself, not what's happening on board.

I have to wonder how much longer people are going to be willing to pay Cunard prices just for the ships. Of course that's only my opinion but that's what decides where we spend our dollars....sadly. :confused:

Yes, Brigettetom I think you are right. They have decided to go with the flow, become exactly like any other cruise line. I just feel it's a crying shame that they couldn't have kept the QMII at least running more like an ocean liner - at the very least when she is crossing the ocean! There are so many "carnival" cruises in all senses of the word and the world needs a bit of luxury and elegance still. Dressing for dinner, brandy and cigars after dinner, or champagne and a cigarette as you sail off for another continent.... the little touches that made it different. I think there are a lot of people who will stop paying the prices just for the ships if the whole character of the thing has changed.

Actually, there may be more truth in that than we know. Sugar, and the harmful and unnatural additives they put in food these days, is probably doing you more harm than someone else's second hand smoke.

Very true, who wants to sit downwind from a sugar eater?

Davis.

I still think allowing smoking on the balconies on the starboard side of the ship would be fairer to smokers. .

That wouldn't work, smoking keeps people thin and eating sugar makes them fat.

So you'd get a list to port.

David.

Yes, Brigettetom I think you are right. They have decided to go with the flow, become exactly like any other cruise line. I just feel it's a crying shame that they couldn't have kept the QMII at least running more like an ocean liner - at the very least when she is crossing the ocean! There are so many "carnival" cruises in all senses of the word and the world needs a bit of luxury and elegance still. Dressing for dinner, brandy and cigars after dinner, or champagne and a cigarette as you sail off for another continent.... the little touches that made it different. I think there are a lot of people who will stop paying the prices just for the ships if the whole character of the thing has changed.

:):):)

I have just heard this fantastic news today.

All our grumbling and complaining over the years has been for a good cause at last - Finally, we have our balconies back - happy days

:D:D:D

Congratulations, although it may well be a Pyrrhic victory. Just out of curiosity, are you finished grumbling and complaining, or do you have additional issues? -S

Archived