Smoking in cabins on balconies, irrespective of cruise line.

Brian Raine

Wednesday 14 August 2013. Update To Smoking Policy

Following guest feedback and the results of recent customer research, Cunard are changing the smoking policy on board all ships and passengers will no longer be permitted to smoke on stateroom balconies.

This change has been made for the safety and comfort of our passengers and means that all passengers will be able to enjoy full use of their private balconies, without the effect of drifting smoke.

This will be effective from the following cruises:

Queen Victoria - 28 April 2014

Queen Mary 2 - 16 May 2014

Queen Elizabeth - 8 June 2014

Bye bye smokers - :)

Where's there a will there's a way...as a smoker I can well understand how horrible it is to a non smoker that's why on all my past cruises if there was anyone either side of me on the balcony I wouldn't lite up...call me a conscientious smoker if you like...however...if when I'm awake at 3am in the morning as I usual am....if anyone thinks for one nano second that I'm donning clothes and seeking out a smoking area (assuming there is one...not sailed for two years) then your plain wrong....if no one either side of me is on the balcony then I'll have one regardless of policy..... simple as that....and I will do that because no one will be aware...:eek:

Let's hope Cunard finish what they started and bring in a $250 fine/cleaning charge for anyone breaking the rules. Celebrity Cruises enforce it very successfully. And for anyone who thinks I am gloating just remember I am one of the 80% of cruisers who do not smoke. Work it out - for every one smoker who cancels a cruise because of this new policy there are four more non smokers to fill that place. Congratulations Cunard for taking the commercial decision that some of your competitors took a while back. I am already looking at Cunard's 2014 brochures with joy.

Let's hope Cunard finish what they started and bring in a $250 fine/cleaning charge for anyone breaking the rules. Celebrity Cruises enforce it very successfully. And for anyone who thinks I am gloating just remember I am one of the 80% of cruisers who do not smoke. Work it out - for every one smoker who cancels a cruise because of this new policy there are four more non smokers to fill that place. Congratulations Cunard for taking the commercial decision that some of your competitors took a while back. I am already looking at Cunard's 2014 brochures with joy.

Is Joy your wife/girlfriend/partner?

Bookings are not all that clear cut because of smoking rules. We are getting dozens of rock bottom price offers right now so they are desperately trying to fill their ships for some cruises. Apparently the non smokers aren't fullfilling their promise of flocking to the ships once their non smoking rules went into effect.

Celebrity Cruises enforce it very successfully. And for anyone who thinks I am gloating just remember I am one of the 80% of cruisers who do not smoke. Work it out - for every one smoker who cancels a cruise because of this new policy there are four more non smokers to fill that place.

They do indeed. However, Cunard is not (or wasn't) Celebrity and attracts a different sort of customer (sorry, guest), many of whom smoke like chimneys, don't smoke, smoke occasionally, or accompany a smoker. Most are also tolerant of the foibles of others. If not, they would either stay at home or book their holiday on a nice quiet desert island.

Unfortunately, your maths ignores the fact that most smokers are accompanied by a non-smoker - I'll leave you to work out the sums; panic not, they are not too difficult.

Peace and love,

Sir Martin

I have just heard this fantastic news today.

All our grumbling and complaining over the years has been for a good cause at last - Finally, we have our balconies back - happy days

:D:D:D

In 27 years you've sailed with Cunard 5 times and felt the need to grumble and complain about their policies. I'm guessing your input didn't have a lot to do with this change.

Oh dear how the tide has turned for the minority....... As for the maths, rest assured Cunard will have done the sums over and over.

Always be careful what you wish for, you never know when you'll find yourself in the group that suffers...

For example, suppose Cunard decide that they can make more money catering to the new affluent Chinese market by basing QM2 out East with an Oriental flavour and geared to that market instead of doing Europe and crossings - that would just be 'doing the sums' as well.

Will see what I can find out tomorrow - particularly about my e-cigs!

Oh dear how the tide has turned for the minority....... As for the maths, rest assured Cunard will have done the sums over and over.

To hear the protests you would think the evil anti smoker protesters were the ones who made this decision. No, Cunard made it and most certainly balanced the pros and cons very carefully before the announcement.

Some will leave, others will accept this as they have accepted all the other indignities, and possibly get by with a little bending of the rules.

They are a hardy breed. Anyone who will pay eight quid for a pack of ciggies with possible severe health implications !!

David.

For example, suppose Cunard decide that they can make more money catering to the new affluent Chinese market by basing QM2 out East

And of course the new policy would go down well there as we know very few Chinese smoke.

David.

partial quote

To hear the protests you would think the evil anti smoker protesters were the ones who made this decision. No, Cunard made it and most certainly balanced the pros and cons very carefully before the announcement...

David.

Balf, I agree with you. Not only this decision, but the re-flagging of Cunard ships, changing the dress code, increasing sea days while decreasing ships speed - all these decisions were made by Carnival/Cunard in the hope of increased profits.

CCL is a for profit corporation; it is not a demoracy, nor are the decisions made by CCL/Cunard infallible. Only time will tell if their decisions result in increased or decreased bookings at rates that are not slashed close to sail date in order to fill the ship. Short term, profits can be maintained by ever increasing budget cuts. -S.

I have just heard this fantastic news today.

All our grumbling and complaining over the years has been for a good cause at last - Finally, we have our balconies back - happy days

:D:D:D

YOUR balconies??? Why do you think they are YOUR balconies??? Several other non-smokers kept saying on this thread that they had paid for their balconies. Umm... did you never consider that smokers had paid for theirs too? No you never did I am sure. Your attitude SO sums it up for the attitude of non-smokers. You think you OWN the whole world and you want everything your way all the time. I am sure you know perfectly well that you can't possibly even notice smoking on a balcony when out at sea with a howling gale blowing it away in a nanosecond. But you just had to WIN. You had to OWN another bit of the world and tell other people what to do in it.

And it is so very sad that there are people like you who derive such intense JOY out of denying other people rights and pleasures.

I take note that you have not actually been on many Cunard voyages. Bet you won't go on many either. So Cunard ( who actually do own the balconies ) will be the losers because we smokers won't be going anymore and all you complainers probably won't go all that much either because you'll just find other things to complain about. :mad::mad::mad:

And of course the new policy would go down well there as we know very few Chinese smoke.

David.

And then watch the policy change again - it is just horses for courses, as has been said the company will do what it can to maximise revenue - nostalgia is, unfortunately, also just a marketing ploy these days

Is Joy your wife/girlfriend/partner?

Thank you, capn. :) for bringing a smile into a sad thread.

I'm sorry to read that Cunard will be losing some long time cruisers due to this recent change. I understand that decision. However, Cunard's loss is also this forum's loss as your contributions have added greatly over the years to the wit and wisdom found on this board. Your 'voices' will be missed.

best regards,

seasidegal

Enjoy your joy. I am sure the knowledge that it has denied others pleasure will make it all that more enjoyable for you. Sad.

Archived