Smoking in cabins on balconies, irrespective of cruise line.

Brian Raine

I still think allowing smoking on the balconies on the starboard side of the ship would be fairer to smokers. I do not smoke myself but there should be give and take on both sides.

I think that next time you complete the post cruise questionnaire you raise this point, Cunard now seem to be taking notice of guest feedback and customer research so you might be successful.

Personally, I'd like the garlic to disappear. Had to leave QG dining room from the smell/aroma. Lost my voice for a while that night. Now I leave after the first whiff, and return after a while to check that it has lessened.

Jeanne

Oh how I agree - vilest smell (and taste) on the planet, while I love the fragrance of a nice ciggie. King's Court/Lido used to be awful, but seems to have improved of late.

I shall put a complaint on my next comment card. Once they've finished pleasing all of us, nothing whatsoever will be permitted.:)

Mary

On the bright side, the money that we will no longer be giving to Cunard is going to buy us a lake house where we won't be offending anyone. :)

And that's just what we've done Brigittetom.....only not a lake house. We bought a delightful summer house on Cape Cod where the ocean is everywhere we go within minutes or a short drive at best. Long, tranquil beaches run the length of the Cape. It's quite idyllic here.

For an ocean lover it doesn't get much better than this and we will use it for 5 months of the year and enjoy sharing it with special friends. So instead of wasting money for a 10 or 14 day cruise we decided to put that money to better use and far more pleasure.

So then, a very wise idea Brigittetom....;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted land trips in my own stunning country

Oct 2012....OBX

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

2013...5 months at our summer home on Cape Cod....priceless!

Several North Atlantic crossings from childhood thru college on ships of the old Norwegian America line and Swedish America Line...RIP to those marvelous old ships

I shall put a complaint on my next comment card. Once they've finished pleasing all of us, nothing whatsoever will be permitted.:)

Mary

Ah, but Mary, there will still be those who are not satisfied with that.:rolleyes:

There was a time when a ban on balcony smoking would have distressed me a lot. It no longer affects me personally. Now I just feel sorry for my smoking friends who love QM2 as much as I did. Having watched the limited places where we could smoke be eroded over the last few years, for some of them I know this is the last straw.

Had we not already made that decision when we chose to buy a wonderful vacation house in a place we love, it would surely have been the last straw for us. Make no mistake, we've enjoyed all the cruises we've taken to various wonderful places however any of them are easily reached by air ( I know, where's the ambiance of a cruise?) The trade off for me is to spend several days in a beautiful place seeing it all instead of a few hours off the ship in a port call on a packaged tour to see one highlight.

Now I wonder what's next.....alcohol perhaps? Nah, that nasty little vice is safe I"m sure....the cruise ships make way too much money to listen to anyone's opinion on that subject.

So I cast' my vote for vile, smelly, cheap perfume....something one never expected to find on a Cunard ship, but having been crushed in numerous elevators and subjected to this offense, I can assure you it does happen on Cunard.:eek:

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

Oct 2012....OBX

Several North Atlantic crossings from childhood thru college on ships of the old Norwegian America line and Swedish America Line...RIP to those marvelous old ships

Personally, I'd like the garlic to disappear. Had to leave QG dining room from the smell/aroma. Lost my voice for a while that night. Now I leave after the first whiff, and return after a while to check that it has lessened.

Jeanne

Jeanne! No garlic? How sad; it is good for you, you know, and many tasty garlic dishes have no garlic aroma at all (garlic soup, for example). Of course, if it's an allergy to garlic that plagues you, avoid it by all means. Otherwise, you are young enough to learn to love it and enjoy its benefits.

Oh how I agree - vilest smell (and taste) on the planet, while I love the fragrance of a nice ciggie. King's Court/Lido used to be awful, but seems to have improved of late.

Mary

Quite right too

I can picture Father Ted and Dougal on board with their placards

'Careful now'

'Down with this sort of thing'

(I've just checked and the t-shirt is available - if I weren't leaving tomorrow I'd order it to wear on board)

I still think allowing smoking on the balconies on the starboard side of the ship would be fairer to smokers. I do not smoke myself but there should be give and take on both sides.

Thank you Summergee.....you are one of the very few fair minded people around it seems.

There should of course be give and take in life in all things, not just the smoking issue. However in that one smokers have been forced to give and give and the other side continues to take. Very little place for compromise in this world today I fear.

Cheers, Penny

Oct 2012....OBX

Ah, but Mary, there will still be those who are not satisfied with that.:rolleyes:

I know - once the ban comes in, it's only a matter of time before they start moaning about smoking in the few permitted outside areas, too dim to realise that's where they drove them.

Good to hear from you and hope all is well.:)

Mary

Well, I guess that's the end for my husband and me on QM2. We enjoy doing crossings (in Grills class) on Cunard, and, particularly without port stops, that is too long to go without any convenient smoking location, or a location that won't be overcrowded and as a result uncomfortable. Add to this the lowering of the dress code (one of the things I had enjoyed the most was "dressing up"), and there is no longer any reason for us to go. To me, Cunard is making itself into a replica of other, more "down-scale" cruise lines, without the things that used to set it apart -- a certain elegance. I know that this is the way of many cruise lines, which I consider unfortunate, and will lead us to pursue other vacation options. For example, we have rented an apartment in Rome for next spring that allows smoking. I assume there will be more vacations of this type in our future, but I will miss our cruising days.

The one that really annoys me is the immediate change in policy on e-cigs; literally changing the policy in the FAQ today to ban it everywhere except in cabins and smoking areas.

Thanks for that Cunard - either putting me back in an area I try to avoid or making me go back to my cabin, lest the busybody zealots who wouldn't understand what an e-cig is if you stuck it up their nose get upset at the sight of something that resembles a cigarette :mad:

I wonder if they do 24-hour rush orders on that t-shirt? :banghead:

Although I gave up two years ago, I still occasionally use these http://www.nicorette.co.uk/products/inhalator with a glass of wine, the one time I really miss a ciggie. Tesco (other stores are available) will cheerily flog them to you, as will Amazon.

They are not electronic and no normal sane person, even one driven by an overwhelmingly desperate desire to take offence at everything, could possibly object.

Could they?

Mary:)

It seems like P&O UK have given out the same message about not smoking on balconies from next year

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1896090

Smoking on balconies now also banned by Disney cruise line

Effective November 15, passengers no longer may smoke on cabin balconies; this includes electronic cigarettes. The policy change, a Disney spokeswoman told Cruise Critic, was prompted by past passenger feedback. Anyone caught smoking on a balcony will be charged a $250 stateroom recovery fee.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5485#

Smoking on balconies now also banned by Disney cruise line

Effective November 15, passengers no longer may smoke on cabin balconies; this includes electronic cigarettes. The policy change, a Disney spokeswoman told Cruise Critic, was prompted by past passenger feedback. Anyone caught smoking on a balcony will be charged a $250 stateroom recovery fee.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5485#

Wow, that's really short notice; I feel sorry for those passengers who booked their cruise without knowing about the change. Perhaps the ban on Disney ships is not altogether suprising, considering their demographics - which are quite different from Cunards' demographics.

Although I gave up two years ago, I still occasionally use these http://www.nicorette.co.uk/products/inhalator with a glass of wine, the one time I really miss a ciggie. Tesco (other stores are available) will cheerily flog them to you, as will Amazon.

They are not electronic and no normal sane person, even one driven by an overwhelmingly desperate desire to take offence at everything, could possibly object.

Could they?

Mary:)

Hi Mary. Thanks for mentioning that product. I hadn't heard of it before, so I looked it up. Using it to quit ciggies a lot of sense to me, but it's available only by prescription in the USA :(

Chances are, someone will object if they see you using it in public areas on board. But then again, they'd probably object if they saw you with a lollipop in your mouth :)

Salacia

Well I'm looking forward enormously to the next campaign to ban something - after all, no-one seriously believes it will stop people complaining about things do they?

My vote is for a campaign against perfume-wearers and/or ugly people

The vote against perfume-wearers is not as silly as it sounds. A friend sent me a cutting from an Australian newspaper a few years ago quoting the International Fragrance Association who estimates that one person in 50 gets a headache, asthma or rash from fragrance. (Certain perfumes make my blood pressure drop so far down that it doesn't even register on the machine!)

The Age (9/7/2004) predicted that the fragrance-sensitivity issue is looming as the new millennium's equivalent of the anti-smoking campaigns of the 1980s and said that in the previous three years, a growing number of fragrance-sensitive employees in the US had claimed protection under the Americans With Disabilities Act. It also said studies have linked fragrance to unrelated conditions, from sinusitis through to dizziness, depression, vertigo, irritability, reproductive problems, hypertension and irregular heartbeat.

However, that was 9 years ago and I haven't heard much about it since then.

I can normally walk away from people who wear perfume, but it's a bit difficult to do that on a plane! My pet hate is people who wear perfume (or after shave) like armour, so it can be smelt at 2 metres.

I know - once the ban comes in, it's only a matter of time before they start moaning about smoking in the few permitted outside areas, too dim to realise that's where they drove them.

Good to hear from you and hope all is well.:)

Mary

Good to hear from you too Mary....all is beyond well over here thank you. We are having the summer of our lives, made even better by the company of our young fur kid, Scamp...and a true scamp he is! :D

Sadly you are probably right about the moaners whining about the limited outdoor smoking area. Last time we were onboard 2 of the very few tables by the Terrace Bar were taken over by arm wavers who refused to acknowledge that they were sitting at smoking tables! Won't take them long to complain.

Take care!! :)

Cheers, Penny

Oct 2012....OBX

Looks like Churchill's Cigar Lounge will soon be the only place to smoke at the forward end of QM2, but only cigars (officially, at least). My wife smokes cigarettes occasionally; does anyone know where I can get her a cigarette holder shaped like a cigar?

Looks like Churchill's Cigar Lounge will soon be the only place to smoke at the forward end of QM2, but only cigars (officially, at least). My wife smokes cigarettes occasionally; does anyone know where I can get her a cigarette holder shaped like a cigar?

I expect the best response would come from W.C. Fields. Alas, that is highly unlikely.

Archived