Purchasing a round trip instead of one way

gracecarmo

Yes, it is generally cheaper to purchase the RT and throw half away. That said, don't do this on any airline you have a FF account or relationship with. The airline COULD come after you for the difference between the one way fare and the RT. And that would make your one way trip almost as much as First Class!!

Don't you need to get from Kansas City to the ship first and then return from NY to Kansas City? You can book this as an open jaw. Very easy and fare should be in the neighborhood of $700. Post your exact dates and I will try to find some decent fares on decent airlines.

Yes, it is generally cheaper to purchase the RT and throw half away. That said, don't do this on any airline you have a FF account or relationship with. The airline COULD come after you for the difference between the one way fare and the RT. And that would make your one way trip almost as much as First Class!!

Hello greatam,

I want to book a one way flight to London from EWR for next August. I will be cruising home!:)

I see British Airways round trip for $203 or so! When I check for one way the price is around $700!

I don't have any relationship with them (at least I don't think I do :rolleyes: ).

Couldn't I just call and cancel my flight home when I get to London? At least that gives them around a month to resell the seat to Newark!

$500 is alot to pay for half the distance.

What other options do I have?

Does anyone have advice?

Hello greatam,

I want to book a one way flight to London from EWR for next August. I will be cruising home!:)

I see British Airways round trip for $203 or so! When I check for one way the price is around $700!

I don't have any relationship with them (at least I don't think I do :rolleyes: ).

Couldn't I just call and cancel my flight home when I get to London? At least that gives them around a month to resell the seat to Newark!

$500 is alot to pay for half the distance.

What other options do I have?

Does anyone have advice?

They could still bill you for the full one way fare even if you cancel or throw away your rt portion.

I don't think it will be a problem if you are cancelling your return flight. However, one time I purchased a one way ticket on an airline because we decided to go a day early and the airline I had RT tix on couldn't change my departure date. Since the one way ticket was so cheap and I'd already paid for the RT, I figured it was no big deal. But just as a courtesy, the day before we were due to leave, I figured I'd call the airline with the RT ticket and let them know I'd just be using them to come home. They (thankfully) informed me that if you don't take the first leg of a RT ticket, you are automatically cancelled for the return flight. Good thing she told me this. I was able to call the airline I booked the one way with and cancel.

They could still bill you for the full one way fare even if you cancel or throw away your rt portion.

How would they know if you had to fly home early on another airline?

Do they check other flights to see if you're on them?

Just curious as I've only flown once 10 years ago to Europe with a tour.

Thank you,

I don't think it will be a problem if you are cancelling your return flight. However, one time I purchased a one way ticket on an airline because we decided to go a day early and the airline I had RT tix on couldn't change my departure date. Since the one way ticket was so cheap and I'd already paid for the RT, I figured it was no big deal. But just as a courtesy, the day before we were due to leave, I figured I'd call the airline with the RT ticket and let them know I'd just be using them to come home. They (thankfully) informed me that if you don't take the first leg of a RT ticket, you are automatically cancelled for the return flight. Good thing she told me this. I was able to call the airline I booked the one way with and cancel.

Thanks, Jersey for your thoughts. Good to know about taking first leg of round trip.

I wish there was an airline that booked only one way to Europe. Maybe someday.

I guess it depends on where you're going. Last year I booked 2 one way tickets on different airlines from SFO to Boston and it was cheaper than r/t on the same airline!

Check sites like Expedia and Travelocity for one way vs. r/t to your destination, and you may be able to find something cheaper one way.

Daju22,

Yes, you can book the RT and throw the RETURN away. I am not advocating this, BUT. I personally would not call the airlines if you are deliberately doing a throw away ticket. Then you have to lie. I guess it could be a nice gesture, but if the plane is oversold and you do not show up, they will fill your seat anyhow. You MUST fly the outbound leg, or they will cancel your entire itinerary. If you are caught, they could make you pay the difference, so be aware.

You are WAY too far out to book ANY flight for August 2006. Just because you are seeing $203.00 for BA flights today does not mean that fare will be available next August. 330 Days pre RETURN date is about the earliest you can book ANY flight.

Aer Lingus (the Irish national carrier) sells some reasonably priced one way fares to London from the East Coast and 1-800-FlyEurope also sells one way fares at reasonable prices. I have never used 1-800-FlyEurope, but have heard decent things from other people. If you need further help, you may email. greatam@earthlink.net

I guess it depends on where you're going. Last year I booked 2 one way tickets on different airlines from SFO to Boston and it was cheaper than r/t on the same airline!

Check sites like Expedia and Travelocity for one way vs. r/t to your destination, and you may be able to find something cheaper one way.

One way DOMESTIC tickets, on the low cost carriers (Jet Blue, Southwest, TED, Song) are available. But one way INTERNATIONAL tickets are a whole other story. Not many available and PRICEY, PRICEY, PRICEY!!!

Daju22,

Yes, you can book the RT and throw the RETURN away. I am not advocating this, BUT. I personally would not call the airlines if you are deliberately doing a throw away ticket. Then you have to lie. I guess it could be a nice gesture, but if the plane is oversold and you do not show up, they will fill your seat anyhow. You MUST fly the outbound leg, or they will cancel your entire itinerary. If you are caught, they could make you pay the difference, so be aware. We would definitely use the outbound. I probably would be too worried to throw the return away.

You are WAY too far out to book ANY flight for August 2006. Just because you are seeing $203.00 for BA flights today does not mean that fare will be available next August. I was only checking flights to get an idea of price. Guess it may change drastically before then.

330 Days pre RETURN date is about the earliest you can book ANY flight. This is information that I'll save. I've never done my own air to Europe only domestic.

Aer Lingus (the Irish national carrier) sells some reasonably priced one way fares to London from the East Coast and 1-800-FlyEurope also sells one way fares at reasonable prices. I have never used 1-800-FlyEurope, but have heard decent things from other people. If you need further help, you may email. greatam@earthlink.net

Thanks for the ideas. I'm signed up for 1-800-flyeurope emails I think. Will check.

Aer Lingus- will check this also.

I may just book Celebrity Air, since it includes transfers from LHR to Dover.

Do you think it's better to fly into Gatwick or Heathrow? I flew into Heathrow. It was like a cattle drive. Crowded and long lines. Must be lots worse now.

Yes, I think Celebrity air is a good bargain, as I did some checking on the web for prices. However, someone on one of the X roll calls said they got a good price on British Air, like around $200 from Newark to London.

In taking X air, you also get transfers, and if you are Captains Club you can do Custom Air. ( and still get transfers, according to some posters) Since we will be going into London/Dover a few days early, this is what I plan to do, and I think the majority of cruisers do the same.

We do not plan to use Celebrity's hotel plan, but book our own.

What voyage are you on?

Yes, I think Celebrity air is a good bargain, as I did some checking on the web for prices. However, someone on one of the X roll calls said they got a good price on British Air, like around $200 from Newark to London.

In taking X air, you also get transfers, and if you are Captains Club you can do Custom Air. ( and still get transfers, according to some posters) Since we will be going into London/Dover a few days early, this is what I plan to do, and I think the majority of cruisers do the same. Let me understand you. You are using Celebrity air and flying into London a few days early, but booking your own hotel rooms? How do you use the transfers that come with Celebrity air? Where do you get on the transfer bus? I'd like to do this also. Please tell me about it!

We do not plan to use Celebrity's hotel plan, but book our own.

What voyage are you on?

We are doing a back to back Baltic and then Transatlantic on the Constellation. Leaving Aug. 26, 2006 from Dover-Dover-Port Liberty, NJ ending on Sept. 24. In all, 29 nights!

Where and when are you cruising, Grace?

We are on the Sept 9 TA Connie 06, guess you are on our voyage too. Come over and join in our Roll Call, there is quite a group going now. (maybe you are already there?)

I learned all the transfer info from the group going on this year's Connie TA. They said to either go to the Victoria Coach Station or the airport on the day of embarkation, and catch the bus to Dover..using your transfers. Otherwise, you do your own. Some are arranging a bus to go from London to Dover on their own.

The Roll Call for this years Connie has over 3000 posts, and I read every one. Lots of info.

Now, since our voyage is a ways off, it would be wise to check over and over re the transfers, as things do change with X.

I am still going to keep their air, as if anything goes wrong with airlines it will be X problem, not mine.

Hope to see you on Roll Call.....Grace

• 2 months later...

We're sailing from FLL to Barcelona April 30-May 14 and then traveling around Spain on our own, planning to return from Madrid to Phoenix at the end of May.

Anyone have any ideas how to do this for less than outrageous one-way fare??

At the worst, I guess we could take the cruise return, but not sure if it will work two weeks after embarkation (and we'd have to get back to Barcelona)....:confused:

Maybe we could find a freighter!!:rolleyes:

THANKS!

We're sailing from FLL to Barcelona April 30-May 14 and then traveling around Spain on our own, planning to return from Madrid to Phoenix at the end of May.

Anyone have any ideas how to do this for less than outrageous one-way fare??

At the worst, I guess we could take the cruise return, but not sure if it will work two weeks after embarkation (and we'd have to get back to Barcelona)....:confused:

Maybe we could find a freighter!!:rolleyes:

THANKS!

There are SOOOO many ways to get to Europe for your cruise. How cheap do you want to go? Are you willing to put up with some hassle? Are you willing to do the coordination for your air? Please see my post in this forum for "Air from Boston/New England". I have posted two or three ways to get cheaper air to Europe. And it appears that you are REALLY NOT doing a one way trip. You can book an open jaw-wherever you live to FLL (unless you live in Florida), Madrid to Phoenix. Very easy to do on one ticket, although more costly than booking two or three tickets and doing the coordination yourself. If you need further assistance, feel free to email-greatam@earthlink.net. Please put CC in the subject line.

Like you I was debating buying cruise air or round trip airfare to Barcelona for our Nov transatlantic cruise.

Then I read a post on this board recommending http://www.airlineconsolidator.com. I tried it and was able to get a one way, non-stop from JFK for $309. Adding a $79 return flight from FLL to Newark on Jet Blue brought my total to $388 per person as opposed to $699 for cruise air, $556 for a round trip ticket or $1,156 for a one way ticket.

Thanks, Greatam! I'll email you right now.... It's very kind of you.

And thanks also to DEL67. Interestingly (ironically), I just checked--and didn't get such a good deal as you did: The consolidator price is $881 FROM BCL to JFK in May 2006 (when we'll return to the USA after our TA FROM USA TO SPAIN). :( In our case, that's not a great deal, as Celebrity only wants $869 for the complete flight--i.e., from PHX to FLL to the embarkation on April 30, and then from BCL back to PHX. But that's if you go home right after the ship arrives in BCL on May 14, and we're staying for at least two weeks--and then really wanting to come home from Madrid. Arghhh!! I'm not even going to say--well, I guess I AM saying--that we need to use miles to upgrade to business for this long a flight, as I have a deteriorating hip-joint that won't survive otherwise. As I say, maybe there's a freighter we can hop. :)

Again, we deeply appreciate any and all advice!

Mary-Lou (& Dave)

Oh, Dr.Fun,

You may have thrown a wrinkle in the whole, cheapo fare plan to Europe. Are you a status flyer with the airline you have miles? If not, it will be VERY difficult to get upgraded to Business with a cheap ticket. Most airlines have restrictions about miles upgrades on deep discount tickets.

I would be leary of booking a round trip and throwing away the other half - especially if you are in traveling between countries. To enter most foreign countries you need to have a means to get home. If you didn't show up for your return flight, I would be afraid of being put on a list, especially with today's security. If you cancel the return flight and don't schedule another flight - especially from Europe or another country that can't be driven to from the mainland US - the airlines can bill you for the difference between that ticket and a one-way as they know that you have booked that ticket with all intents to use it as a one way. After all, how else will you get back to the US if you don't fly?

Thanks, hajekfam--but we're not planning to buy a RT and not use the return. We need a good deal on an OPEN JAW from PHX to FLL for the transatlantic cruise TO Spain, and then a return flight from Madrid (OR Barcelona) to the USA.

I would be leary of booking a round trip and throwing away the other half - especially if you are in traveling between countries. To enter most foreign countries you need to have a means to get home. If you didn't show up for your return flight, I would be afraid of being put on a list, especially with today's security. If you cancel the return flight and don't schedule another flight - especially from Europe or another country that can't be driven to from the mainland US - the airlines can bill you for the difference between that ticket and a one-way as they know that you have booked that ticket with all intents to use it as a one way. After all, how else will you get back to the US if you don't fly?
These are not big concerns for the occasional traveller. Accidents and stuffups happen every day. People miss flights and have to buy replacement tickets all the time. Or their plans change and they end up not being able to use a non-changeable ticket, and have to buy another one.

So countries don't look for people who've missed their flights; they look (if at all) for people who didn't exit through immigration.

And airlines generally don't go chasing people for the difference between the fare paid and the one-way fare unless they make a habit of it.

DrFun. I'm not sure your flights would be classified as an Open Jaw. An Open Jaw ticket is A to B.. then C back to A..but..... the hitch is the distance between B and C (the part you are not taking) MUST be the shortest distance of the three parts. You mentioned that you would like tickets from Phoenix to Florida then Spain back to Phoenix. The shortest distance then must be Florida to Spain (the part where you're cruising). This is the way the airline rep explained it to me.

Ciana:)

DrFun. I'm not sure your flights would be classified as an Open Jaw. An Open Jaw ticket is A to B.. then C back to A..but..... the hitch is the distance between B and C (the part you are not taking) MUST be the shortest distance of the three parts. You mentioned that you would like tickets from Phoenix to Florida then Spain back to Phoenix. The shortest distance then must be Florida to Spain (the part where you're cruising). This is the way the airline rep explained it to me.

Ciana:)

Technically, you are correct. However, almost all airlines, Travelocity, Expedia, Cheaptickets, etc. etc. etc. sell multi-city tickets. Call it what you will, but most people will refer to these as open jaw tickets. Go to any of the above mentioned sites, click multi-city, multi-segment, whatever it is called and you can book the very ticket you want.

Archived