Oceania Drink Prices (deciding on a package)

corpkid

We bought 3 premium bottles of wine at a 30% discount at the beginning of the cruise, and a couple bottles off of the wine list. We enjoy good wine and do not care for their offerings by the glass. I brought Woodforde Reserve bourbon from LAX Duty Free for the suite. I drink martinis but not enough to make the packages pay. We did scarf up several complimentary drinks at the Captain's Party and the Oceania Club event...

Arusha posted: "Dow's Port ($19 a small glass) and Champagne by the glass are available in the Prestige bev pkg, as are after dinner coffees such as Irish Coffee."

If that is the case, a couple of glasses of Perrier-Jouet before dinner, a glass or three of wine with dinner, and a glass of port with the cheese course (all glass calculations per person, of course) would pretty much blow through the charge for the Prestige package, not to mention an after-dinner tipple or two in the lounge. Seems like the way to go, indeed.

Does anyone have information that suggests that the Prestige package does not include everything on the Wines by the Glass list?

The wines on the Prestige beverage package are very limited. IMO, this was the weakest part of the package. Perrier Jouet is definitely not on the list but am not sure what was. The list by Arusha appears to be a full wine list and includes wines that are not included in the "package". We had great difficulty finding wines we liked and ended up with the Tyler Florence Cabernet.

Note: Our experience was late May - early June 2013.

Thank you Lyn. I think that's just what we will do - Now, next exercise: Fly with the "hooch" or buy it in Stockholm (we'll be there for 3 days before embarkation)... Back to the research...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systembolaget

Sweden is one of the most expensive countries in the whole world for alcohol! They are trying to reduce the alcoholism caused by the long dark winters! Probably cheaper to buy on board than that.

I read on this forum somewhere that Perrier Jouet is no longer included in the Prestige package. Has anyone sailed recently that has more information?

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/documents/wine-lists/Bar-Menu.pdf

It's still showing on the "By the glass wines" on the bar tariff....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We purchased the alcohol package on our first Oceania cruise in May and are happy that we did. One thing that I do not believe has been mentioned is the size of the drinks. I enjoy a Grey Goose martini and found them to be approximately half of the size of what is typically served in restaurants. Since I had the package, I ordered a double which was very satisfactory. If we did not have the package, that one drink would have cost $20 plus 18% tip. My DH's drink would have cost the same.

For us, going to a lounge for a drink - chatting with people, etc. is so much better than drinking in your cabin. In the specialty restaurants, we also liked having our wine glasses topped up instead of waiting until it is empty and thinking about whether or not we really want to pay for another glass.

We probably paid just about the same for the package as we would have paying for each drink plus tip separately -- however, the convenience of having the package made a huge difference!

You have raised another very interesting point. They topped up your wine glasses in the restaurants - I had assumed we would get a glass of wine - end off and that we would have to request another glass. Does this just apply to Speciality Restaurants or MDR as well? We had already decided to take the package for our August cruise on Riviera but your information makes it even better!! And yes like you we love to drink in the lounges chatting with people. Many thanks.

It was borderline for us, but having gone on Oceania before we knew that as TC said, the martinis are VERY TINY. We also have wine with dinner, and they did top it off, but we asked for it to be topped off. I assume that since we had the package they were cooperative and did it anyway. When they add the gratuity to the price of each drink, that brings it up, making the package more of a good deal.

So, the Prestige Beverage Package makes sense if you have three or more cocktails/other spirits or like the choices for wines by the glass (definitely if both). We gemrally have one or two cocktails between us and do not care for the wines by the glass. A bottle of Woodforde reserve to have as an after-dinner drink costs less than one day's charge for the package. We found several bottles of wine on the pre-purchase list, discounted 30%.

For us, no package. Your mileage may vary...

I take long cruises 30+ days in the pacific ( warm-hot) with 20+ sea days.

Liquor in the region is obscene in price...$10 beers in many places.

Short 7-14 days probably not worth it because of many port-port stops in rapid order.

The rules are still very restrictive, the law is fairly well followed.

If you have purchased duty-free alcohol or perfume outside Europe, and you are changing flights in Europe to your final destination, your non-European duty-free liquids will be confiscated. Very disappointing, I know from experience.

If your trip starts in Europe and you are transitting through an second airport to get to final destination, inside or outside of Europe (e.g. on the return to the States), the duty-free alcohol or perfume can be carried through, provided it is in the sealed transparent plastic bag from the duty-free sales point at the airport, and it has the bill inside the bag too.

You are allowed limited liquids in hand-luggage, small containers, max 100 ml, collected in a plastic bag of no more than 1 l in total. They need to be put on the trays at security separately, visible to staff, similar to your computers.

Medication in liquid form can be carried on top of the 100ml/1 l restriction, but should be in original containers. I've been asked by security to take a swig at my cough medicine once, I was only to happy to oblige.

Corpkid, one option you would have is to purchase the alcohol you would like from the airline/carrier on board your last flight leg in Europe. They usually carry a decent selection of alcohol on board, and they sell them at duty free prices.

A further option would be to inquire if the final destination airport in Europe has a duty-free shop at arrival. There are more and more of them. They are of course there to make money, but also to reduce weight on the aircraft and so reduce fuel costs and save energy.

Enjoy your cruise

I read on this forum somewhere that Perrier Jouet is no longer included in the Prestige package. Has anyone sailed recently that has more information?

Perrier Jouet is included in the Prestige package at least as of April of this year.

John in Denver

You have raised another very interesting point. They topped up your wine glasses in the restaurants - I had assumed we would get a glass of wine - end off and that we would have to request another glass. Does this just apply to Speciality Restaurants or MDR as well? We had already decided to take the package for our August cruise on Riviera but your information makes it even better!! And yes like you we love to drink in the lounges chatting with people. Many thanks.

We did not dine in the MDR so do not know if it is the same as specialty restaurants. They pour one glass at a time in the Terrace Café and in the lounges. I did wonder how many glasses of wine were entered into the computer when they were topping it up. Perhaps they just guess?

, I ordered a double which was very satisfactory. If we did not have the package, that one drink would have cost $20 plus 18% tip. My DH's drink would have cost the same.

For us, going to a lounge for a drink - chatting with people, etc. is so much better than drinking in your cabin. In the specialty restaurants, we also liked having our wine glasses topped up instead of waiting until it is empty and thinking about whether or not we really want to pay for another glass.

We probably paid just about the same for the package as we would have paying for each drink plus tip separately -- however, the convenience of having the package made a huge difference!

Wow...that like $24 a drink.... and for wine the same...so I agree one double goose, and a glass and a half of wine comes to almost $50!`

Knowing they do short pours makes the package for almost anyone a deal.

So anything over 2 drinks and your getting them at no additional charge.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Our flight leaves Orlando and lays over in Newark and goes directly to Stockholm. I think we may pick up a bottle or three in Newark's duty free for use in Stockholm and in our stateroom. It's been a while since I bought liquor duty free - what are the limits (think I recall it was something like 6 liters?) Thanks again!

Re traveling with liquor buy ahead and pack in a plastic bottle or the toner cartridge plastic sleeves for your baggage- clear on screens just empty space in a suitcase.

I believe, that TSA limits fluids in checked luggage to 1 quart.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Our flight leaves Orlando and lays over in Newark and goes directly to Stockholm. I think we may pick up a bottle or three in Newark's duty free for use in Stockholm and in our stateroom. It's been a while since I bought liquor duty free - what are the limits (think I recall it was something like 6 liters?) Thanks again!

I can't be certain but we purchased a double package of Johnnie Walker Red for $34 on my ticket. I think they were 750ml each.

The TSA have nil jurisdiction over Swedish customs limits......they may well clear you to travel with 5 litres in your luggage, but as soon as the Swedes see you have over their 1 litre allowance you're in trouble.....

http://www.tullverket.se/en/startpage/keywordsaz/az/alcohol/alcoholfromacountryoutsidetheeu.4.16ca6de0120cf835feb80002030.html

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The TSA have nil jurisdiction over Swedish customs limits......they may well clear you to travel with 5 litres in your luggage' date=' but as soon as the Swedes see you have over their 1 litre allowance you're in trouble.....

http://www.tullverket.se/en/startpage/keywordsaz/az/alcohol/alcoholfromacountryoutsidetheeu.4.16ca6de0120cf835feb80002030.html

[/quote']

Ugh - so I suppose this means I can only get one liter at the duty free, or pay 257 SEK (about $40 USD (!!)) per liter over that. Seems awfully steep!

What is the likelihood they would "catch" a 2nd liter, and if so I suppose they would either confiscate it or charge us the duty & tax?

Ugh - so I suppose this means I can only get one liter at the duty free, or pay 257 SEK (about $40 USD (!!)) per liter over that. Seems awfully steep!

What is the likelihood they would "catch" a 2nd liter, and if so I suppose they would either confiscate it or charge us the duty & tax?

Well, you can certainly get 1L/per person and those 2 Ls should(?) last you till the next port of Helsinki or SPB :D

Well, you can certainly get 1L/per person and those 2 Ls should(?) last you till the next port of Helsinki or SPB :D

Ahhh - good thinking! 2L will certainly last us five days in Stockholm, especially since we will be eating out most nights. :) The liquor prices in Stockholm are absurd compared to the states, indeed.

Didn't even think about the fact there were two of us!

Archived